HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mitch For Real?

Old
02-04-2012, 12:29 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Is Mitch For Real?

I love Mitch, and if he keeps playing like this he'll always have a spot in our lineup, but do you think he's going to continue at this level, or at least close to it? I love all the little things he does and the cherry on top is that he scores goals every now and then too.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I don't think so, but that is what I said about P.A. Parenteau too and now here we are.

Mitchell has shown he can play all 3 forward positions and chip in some goals. I think ideally he is an extra forward on a good team to fill in for injuries.

He certainly was better than Christensen this year.

02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don't think so, but that is what I said about P.A. Parenteau too and now here we are.

Mitchell has shown he can play all 3 forward positions and chip in some goals. I think ideally he is an extra forward on a good team to fill in for injuries.

Pretty much this.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

He's ok. Probably won't be anything more than he is now, which is fine.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Got to agree with this statement that why EC was a spare forward all year and just sent to Minny.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
DaRangers

Soild third liner, but probably not going to be a top 6 guy.

DaRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Vitto79

I like him as a cheap 4th liner/spare

hoping in the playoffs he's a reserve. Acquire a faceoff winning C to replace him

still not sure if he should get a 1 way deal for next yr though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
WeWillWinTonight

As it stands now we dot have anyone to play over him, and that's not so bad at all because I kinda like him

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:25 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I love Mitch, and if he keeps playing like this he'll always have a spot in our lineup, but do you think he's going to continue at this level, or at least close to it? I love all the little things he does and the cherry on top is that he scores goals every now and then too.
What little things? I wasn't sure that cherry was on top of anything else. I wouldn't expect to see him here next season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I kinda like him too. Pretty good defensively, possesses a good shot. Doesn't make stupid mistakes. 11 points in 31 games, +11.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Dorado*

Rarely makes glaring mistakes such as turnovers at the blue line , offsides , taking bad selfish penalties you know all " the Grate Ones " typical plays . Exactly why Torts keeps him . This team is a sum of it's parts with just about any player I terchangeable in any line . Every line pretty much tries and play the same way , even the more skilled top 6 .
Long stretch pass tipped in to zone , retrieved by hard fore check , cycle , rinse repeat . Any odd man rush will be gotten by D men closing gaps and pinching and or turnovers in NZ . Scoring chances are created by broken plays , intercepted passes and D zone pinches .
So Mitchell plays his role doesn't try and do toomuch until a fore check or cycle is established .
Mitchell is a modern day bottom 6 er in the cap era , cheap , decent sized , quick enough and hard enough on puck . Any offense from him is a bonus . The Rangers are banking on : Gaby , Cally, Brad. Dubi ,Step and AA to carry the offense with hopes of some key goals from the Bottom players . A point every 3 games from Mitchell is more than I expect from his minutes and the role he is asked to take . At worst Torts doesn't want any of our bottom six to do more than stay out the box and finish EVEN for the game .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I can't stand him..Get rid of him yesterday...He's a fringe AHL'r with no future with this team.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I can't stand him..Get rid of him yesterday...He's a fringe AHL'r with no future with this team.
I don't get this whatsoever. I agree he's a fringe player, but he's playing well and is proving the fringe status wrong. MY issue with this team is we do not have a legit 3rd line. I feel we have 2 tweener lines. We have a first and 2nd and 2 3rd/4th lines. I think for this team to become even better, we'll need a legit third line. I'm hoping next season we'll see that with the infusion of younger talent on the roster (Kreider and possibly Thomas if not traded) to go along with Hagelin and have a legit 3rd line.

I think we're a year ahead of schedule and this is with guys like Mitchell playing on a 3rd line for us.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

For what he is, yeah. I still think he's bottom 6 but he's very serviceable down there.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What little things? I wasn't sure that cherry was on top of anything else. I wouldn't expect to see him here next season.
Agreed. Most expendable player on the roster, by far. He tries hard and likely has a good attitude, but he really doesnt do anything particularly well...kinda just there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I'd rather have Avery or Zucc's up here in his place...and I hate seeing him on the PP (1:15 against Buffalo, 1:43 against NJ).

However, I understand what kind of team Torts is trying to build here and Mitchell fits that mold...though I'd really like to inject more skill into the lineup, and he's the first guy I'd take out of the top 12.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Reliable defensively, good stickhandler in small spaces, throws the body, blocks shots, rarely gets caught out of position, has a very good wrist shot and makes nice passes, just because you don't like him doesn't mean he doesn't have any positive attributes, and most importantly he is +11...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Glad your not running the team! Get rid of everyone you hate...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Calad
Section 422

I am more than comfortable with having Mitchell play on our 4th line. He has been plenty solid.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

solid 4th liner, nothing more now and nothing more in the future. he plays the boards well and thats about it, yea he throws a couple goals in here and there but hes for sure not a scorer. hes a good 4th line option but i dont understand the hype for this guy, hes easily replaceable and i dont see him getting signed long term or anything like that here.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:03 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

What are you saying here? You want a team full of John Mitchells? Would much rather have Avery over him.Im not an Avery fanboy either,just anyone over Mitchell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Glad your not running the team! Get rid of everyone you hate...

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's fine as a fill in.

I'd rather MZA be up, though.

Wouldn't mind hiring Mitchell as an analyst on Hockey Night Live though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's fine as a fill in.

I'd rather MZA be up, though.

Wouldn't mind hiring Mitchell as an analyst on Hockey Night Live though.
Definitely wasn't expecting a voice like that.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Reliable defensively, good stickhandler in small spaces, throws the body, blocks shots, rarely gets caught out of position, has a very good wrist shot and makes nice passes, just because you don't like him doesn't mean he doesn't have any positive attributes, and most importantly he is +11...
I'll never understand why people make comments like this. The only reason I don't "like him" is because I don't agree with you. I don't think he has many positive attributes at all. If I thought he had those positive attributes, then I'd like him just fine. I think he makes zero impact defensively, I think he gets caught out of position all the time, and I think the only reason he's in the NHL is because of his shot. His +11 is a much bigger reflection on his team and the situations he plays in than it is on him. He CAN stickhandle, but that's not necessarily a positive, because he has a tendency to do more stickhandling then situations call for. Not as much as he did when he was in Toronto, though.

To his credit, he's done what Eminger did when he got to this team. He put his ego aside and is doing, for the most part, what Tortorella wants him to. But his instincts are still his instincts, and it's too late in his career for them to change enough that he'll be anything more than a fringe NHLer. He's a one dimensional player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

In the smallest vacuum ever, I would prefer Avery over Mitchell too, but thats not how the real world works. Avery is a piece of ****, and a malcontent.

Maybe Mitchell isnt as inheritantly talented, but he doesnt make any glaring mistakes out there and I'd assume hes a good teammate with a good attitude. Not the end of the world for a 12th forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote