HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #51 St. Louis Blues at Nashville Predators (Half-Assed Edition)

Old
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
SoulChaser17

vCash: 500
I saw that empty net goal coming from a mile away. I just knew they would get one. The only thing keeping us in that game was Halak. We just couldn't get any of our plays going.

Sigh. How much longer until AMac is back?

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
If nothing else, we got one.

So we went down with dignity.
There was nothing dignified about that game. Nothing.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:29 PM
SoulChaser17

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
Say what you want about the game, but we lost it when Nashville got their first goal.
Good point, even if they hadn't gotten a second goal, we would have gone to a shootout and lost there. Although I still would have preferred that because 1 point is better than none.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

IMO some of the posters in this thread need to get a serious grip.

The Blues were playing a back-to-back on the road, shorthanded, against a healthy, rested, team at home. The Blues gave a great effort, and this game could have easily gone either way.

Tip your hat to Nashville and Rinne, and move on to the next game.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post

The Blues were playing a back-to-back on the road, shorthanded, against a healthy, rested, team at home. The Blues gave a great effort, and this game could have easily gone either way.

qft 10 letters

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Fred Murtz

Erat ENG

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:37 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 150
Still want some goal scorers. I dont see us deep in playoffs and get canned after round 1 unless there is an Offensive change. We have struggled all season long on scoring. Until this gets fixed, I do not see us being a real contender.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Still want some goal scorers. I dont see us deep in playoffs and get canned after round 1 unless there is an Offensive change. We have struggled all season long on scoring. Until this gets fixed, I do not see us being a real contender.
It would definitely help. But with Rinne playing like he did tonight, even a handful of pure goal scorers would have had a rough night. That man was an absolute beast tonight.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Halak was great after the poor start and made great saves to keep the Blues in it, and the Blues finally got their own momentum after Porter was able to surprise Rinne, but that was too late.

The Blues have to learn how to pull themselves out from an adverse result earlier in a game. Yeah the Blues cannot beat Pekka Rinne under any circumstances but they cannot allow that to be true any more. If they want to be a contender they must overpower his will with theirs. As straightforward as that.

I want to see more out of Backes and Oshie too. They've been great this year and are such strong defensive players but they haven't been dangerous. Feels like Oshie's still in the Bahamas.

It would be super cool if Kris Russell could keep the puck in the zone. Counted at least three zone opportunities squandered because he couldn't keep it in.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:42 PM
wadesworld

What a hockey game guys. That was certainly playoff-like.

I just came over to give props to Halak. He was incredible in that second period. The Preds had multiple chances where I was already coming out of my chair to celebrate the goal and Halak found a way to make the save. It could have easily gotten out of control, but he was determined to keep the Blues in it.

Looking forward to the next matchup on the 23rd.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

They gave a great effort after Porter got one, and in the first part of the first period. The middle nearly-two-periods they were completely dominated.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Halak was great after the poor start and made great saves to keep the Blues in it, and the Blues finally got their own momentum after Porter was able to surprise Rinne, but that was too late.

The Blues have to learn how to pull themselves out from an adverse result earlier in a game. Yeah the Blues cannot beat Pekka Rinne under any circumstances but they cannot allow that to be true any more. If they want to be a contender they must overpower his will with theirs. As straightforward as that.

I want to see more out of Backes and Oshie too. They've been great this year and are such strong defensive players but they haven't been dangerous. Feels like Oshie's still in the Bahamas.

It would be super cool if Kris Russell could keep the puck in the zone. Counted at least three zone opportunities squandered because he couldn't keep it in.
Russell looked really bad tonight. Out of position, made poor decisions with the puck, got out muscled...etc.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Russell looked really bad tonight. Out of position, made poor decisions with the puck, got out muscled...etc.
Agreed, good thing huskins will be back soon

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Fred Murtz

Erat goal

Fisher goal

End of first highlights

end of 1st, Erat interview

Reaves fight

end of 2nd Reaves interview

Porter goal

Sergei Kostitsyn ENG

Post game part 1, Pekka saves, road game stats for Blues

Post game part 2, Twister on Reaves fight. Jamie Langenbrunner interview

Post game part 3, standings, playoff positions

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 02-05-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old
02-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

For the record, it was Sergei Kostitsyn with the ENG--it was from Erat, though. Good game, guys. Until the empty netter, I didn't think you were out of it.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:38 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
They gave a great effort after Porter got one, and in the first part of the first period. The middle nearly-two-periods they were completely dominated.
I missed the first half of the game because of hockey, but the second half of the game was pretty even overall. We certainly weren't dominated either in terms of shots, or scoring opportunities. Nashville outplayed the Blues in the second period, and the Blues outplayed Nashville in the third. If the first period was split as well, that leaves you with a pretty even game, no?

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Fred Murtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
For the record, it was Sergei Kostitsyn with the ENG--it was from Erat, though. Good game, guys. Until the empty netter, I didn't think you were out of it.
Got it changed thanks.

Old
02-05-2012, 03:29 AM
BlueDream

Tough loss. Got a lot of scoring chances but still can't solve Rinne unfortunately. I don't want to face them in the playoffs anymore because of him. It's frustrating. But honestly, I feel like we will end up playing them...Should be entertaining nonetheless.

Ryan Reaves had an awesome scrap.

And the crowd was electric. Definitely wanna go to a game down in Nashville sometime. I've been there before (not to a game though) and it's a great, fun city. There are always LOTS of Blues fans that travel down there which is awesome. Blues fans were loud tonight, you could hear their "Let's Go Blues" chants.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:49 AM
BlueDream

And I still don't know how Kris Russell didn't score on those two chances tonight. Oh my God. Two amazing saves by Rinne. I thought for sure he scored. Thought Russ looked fine tonight though...

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
The Note
Overrated

At some point they're going to have to start scoring. You can't rely on Steen coming back because he's been "close" for like a month now and McDonald could come back, play 2 games, then miss the rest of the season.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
After Rinne owned us again, I'm gonna say that I hope the Blues play Nashville in the playoffs. They're likely gonna have to beat one of the Preds or the Red Wings to make any noise this post-season, and what better time to solve Rinne than then? It almost reminds me of the Wings/Blues games from the mid to late 90s, when the Blues had an great team but had to exorcise the Winged Demon in order to accomplish anything, but they never did. So I say bring on the Preds in the playoffs, better to exorcise this fang-toothed demon sooner rather than later.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:

I agree. In the playoffs, we will most likely have home ice advantage with the likes of AMAC and Steen without playing back to back nights. We just need halak to play like he did the rest of the night, and if we squeeze in a couple goals, then we should be able to beat them. Plus, with the rate that Rinne's playing this season, he's gotta get gassed out by the post season.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Tough loss, and frustrating game to watch. The Blues got outworked, which I can't really remember the last time that happened.

Has there been a game where more Blues players were banging their sticks on the ice calling for the puck? It just felt like the team was out of synch.

I'd love to get a healthy roster, but mainly this team needs Steen back. Too much pressure is being put on the Backes line, and no other line is creating enough of a threat to make teams pay for that. Frankly the Blues' 4th line has been the one most consistently producing scoring chances the last couple games.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

After last night, now I kind of know how other teams feel when they play us (from a defensive aspect).

Nashville sort of gave us a taste of our own medicine in a way.

Kudos to them for actually putting the puck in the net, though.

Rinne is unreal.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Bluesnatic27

The blues played fine, the second was pretty bad, but we hit the post like 5 times, the game could have easily gone our way and it's just luck and Rinne it didn't

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote