HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most Important Stretch of the Season

Old
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Most Important Stretch of the Season

While every game is important, this upcoming Seven game Stretch could be the most important stretch of the season for the Rangers, especially with 5 of the games being at home:

vs philly

vs njd

vs tbl

@ philly

vs Caps

@ bos

vs Chicago

Some what following the theory Messier and Mike Keenan used in 1994, that if you got 6 its every 5 games it should put you in good shape come playoff time with 94 pts

I think if we are able to get at least 8 points in these seven games, with taking one of the philly games in regulation, we will put ourselves in a great position for a top 2 playoff seed.

What would you think of coming out of this stretch with 8 points, and what are your predictions here!

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
This has 2w 5 L written all over it

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
If Richards and others don't get it together, it could be our roughest patch of the year.

That said, I don't see us coming away with less than .500 record.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Philly: W
NJ: W
TBL: L
Philly: W
Caps: L
Boston: W
Chicago: W

Please.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Oh wow I agree. This could be a huge telling moment of the season. Based on how we have played these teams (excluding Chi-town) we could win every game just as easily as we can lose them all.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Does it? Pretty sure we havent had anywhere close to that this season.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:03 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Every game is important.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Oh wow I agree. This could be a huge telling moment of the season. Based on how we have played these teams (excluding Chi-town) we could win every game just as easily as we can lose them all.

I would expect this stretch will be a big factor in determining what we would be willing to give up in any trades. Wouldn't expect anything to happen prior

Old
Dorado*

The NYR hav been walking a fine line between winning and losing lately . It's been a few weeks since the long streaks and been more like win one lose one win 2 lose one . Too many close games and too many games where Henke had to stand on his head . Still NYR keep winning at an almost 3/4 pace and as a lifelong Fan I'm waiting for the shoe to drop , the injury to happen and the lack of a power play or any consistent scoring to rear its head .

Old
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Dorado*

1-2 ad weeks in this league and potentially go from 1 seed to 4-5-6-7 seed quick . Dont look now but the Devils are rolling and not that far behind us . Same goes for Pitt

Old
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
1-2 ad weeks in this league and potentially go from 1 seed to 4-5-6-7 seed quick . Dont look now but the Devils are rolling and not that far behind us . Same goes for Pitt
Not worried about the Devils. They won that game on a bad bounce. Rangers are still 8 points up on them with 2 games in hand. Pitt on the other hand I would worry about especially if the have this problem with Crosby figured out and he can get back soon.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

At this point, I would say the most important stretch of the season is in April. (in other words, all games are of equal importance until we get to the playoffs)

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
At this point, I would say the most important stretch of the season is in April. (in other words, all games are of equal importance until we get to the playoffs)
I would agree. I love when fans have a team with the best record in the League after over 50 games keep waiting for that dreaded patch where the Rangers go 2-5.
This team has impressed me all year and would expect 5-2 in the next 7 but if we did go 2-5 the Rangers would probably be still in first place. Lets wait until June and see how we are doing

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Boston is 4-5-1 in their last ten. Even the best teams hit rough spots. Even if we go 2-4-1 or something like that, it's not the end of the world. It would be great to hold onto the number one spot in the East for the rest of the season, but it's not going to be easy. I hope people don't start freaking out if we lose a few games in a row. I mean I know they will, but a guy can dream, right?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Dorado*

I couldnt be happier about this season . A lot of solid effort wins and almost as many games won by smoke and mirrors . And without
Henke as our Best player night in and night out I'm afraid if where NYR will be . I just don't see enough consisitent scoring from top 6 players for me to start believing that this team is going any where . Lately the forecheck is missing and teams are starting to figure out how to play us and I'm not sure we have the personnel to play more than the one dimensional close checking game . If NYR can't establish a forecheck early and fall behind or fail on the PK the PP NYR have been showing is not doing it .

Old
02-04-2012, 10:28 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

as per the original post, no one is saying that every game isn't important.

But at this point of the season, it is pretty clear that this upcoming 7 games is going to give us a good idea of exactly how good this team is, and what if any moves would need to be done at the deadline.

Of course those games in march and april are just as important if not more then any, but we would not be able to add any pieces to the puzzle, which aren't already part of our system.

Last edited by jskramer83: 02-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I would agree. I love when fans have a team with the best record in the League after over 50 games keep waiting for that dreaded patch where the Rangers go 2-5.
This team has impressed me all year and would expect 5-2 in the next 7 but if we did go 2-5 the Rangers would probably be still in first place. Lets wait until June and see how we are doing
Reason for this is sometime the past is the best way to predict the future.

And our recent history has shown a let down is to come. Hopefully our team has learned from this as well and it doesn't occur, but until then I will just sit here with my fingers crossed

Old
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Dorado*

If NYR only get 4 out of a possible 14 points it's not the end of the world but expecting them to still be in first is unrealistic .

Old
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
as per the original post, no one is saying that every game isn't important.

But at this point of the season, it is pretty clear that this upcoming 7 games is going to give us a good idea of exactly how good this team is, and what if any moves would need to be done at the deadline.

Of course those games in march and april are just as important if not more then any, but we would not be able to add any pieces to the puzzle, which aren't already part of our system.
I really don't think this "stretch" is going to tell us anything about our team that we don't already know. At this point, we're well aware of the flaws and strengths of this roster. If the team falters, it's not going to be for any surprising reason. If the team excels, it's not going to be for any surprising reason.

If Anisimov, Richards and Dubinsky suddenly start scoring, does that change the fact that we still need more offensive depth on the roster? No. If Eminger comes back and plays like a good #6D, does that change the fact that our defensive corps could stand to be improved? No.

In reality, what I'd be looking for, in terms of the deadline and beyond our current needs, is whether or not anyone gets injured in the next few weeks. It's far more likely that we'll need to plug a temporary hole than it is likely that something fundamental will change about the team's roster needs.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Giacomin

After going to today,s game I came away with what I have been saying all year "This Team is Good". I wonder how many fans are still waiting for the Rangers to go into a tailspin. "This Team is Good"

Old
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Giacomin

3-1 so far in The Rangers most important stretch of the season and if not for a bad call we could be 4-0. When are the fans going to start believing?

Old
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
It's all so surreal...hard to take it all in. As a Rangers fan, you can never truly believe until they're raising the cup.

Great stretch thus far. Win tomorrow and against Boston, please.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Dorado*

Stay the course . I like the PP actually gaining the zone and passing . PHIlly Defense was brutal . Good confidence boost game for the PP

Old
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Stay the course . I like the PP actually gaining the zone and passing . PHIlly Defense was brutal . Good confidence boost game for the PP
Gotta keep Richards on the point. Look at the difference between the PP today when they had Richards on the point and when they put 2 dmen on the point.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
3-1 so far in The Rangers most important stretch of the season and if not for a bad call we could be 4-0. When are the fans going to start believing?
i believe but am still not willing to get too high or too low on the team. game by game, much like they're taking it.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote