HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke's Team - Not what he promised

Old
02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
He promised a tough team that plays on the edge ( see Boston ) and has delivered more of a skating , softer type of team.

Maybe he should "MAN UP" and explain to us his change in direction.. Personally I am sick of his BS.
Burke is all talk. He has FAILED!

Just like he also promised that he did NOT want a team "That makes it to the playoffs, and get their ***** kicked in the first round"! Guess what, this team sucks, and will hammered by Buston, Philly, Buffalo, NJ, NYR...

And Ron Wilson needs to be FIRED! Worst coach in the NHL.

Get him out of Toronto.

Last edited by T M L: 02-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Burke is all talk. He has FAILED!

Get him out of Toronto.
That is a trite overreaction.

I think people have more issue with his never ending stream of hot air about truculence, how he rebuild from the net out and blames the evil meddling main stream media for the team's problems.

No one expect him to be perfect but they don't want to be insulted with his silver tongued excuses. Like that girl that keeps telling you to call her back but just never has time to meet - that game is fun initially, but soon gets tiring.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Brian Burke said he wasn't interested in a five year rebuild plan and he said he wasn't interested in losing in the first round. Brian Burke is clearly a man of the people.
Considering we haven't even made the playoffs yet how can you determine we'd lose and if we're gonna base the possibilities of winning a round on the regular season then I guess all those upsets I've witnessed over the last 30 years plus of watching hockey were a figment of my imagination? I guess by your standards, once the standings for the regular season are set, there is no reason to play the games.

I bet if you asked Burke if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, would they have a chance to win a round or two, he'd tell you yes. They are not push-overs. They are extremely dangerous with their speed and they have a chance to win any game. Their chances against a Boston team are significantly reduced but I wouldn't count them out without playing the games.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Gatorade*

I hate Brian Burke and have for many years. I know a lot of Leaf fans did as well. Can't understand why we are supposed to like him now. Has there ever been a more arrogant windbag in hockey? Ironic how he dislikes Don Cherry. They should be married.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Considering we haven't even made the playoffs yet how can you determine we'd lose and if we're gonna base the possibilities of winning a round on the regular season then I guess all those upsets I've witnessed over the last 30 years plus of watching hockey were a figment of my imagination? I guess by your standards, once the standings for the regular season are set, there is no reason to play the games.

I bet if you asked Burke if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, would they have a chance to win a round or two, he'd tell you yes. They are not push-overs. They are extremely dangerous with their speed and they have a chance to win any game. Their chances against a Boston team are significantly reduced but I wouldn't count them out without playing the games.
That's a good point. The Leafs would beat any team other than Boston.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic with that post but I never said would. I said "could".

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I hate Brian Burke and have for many years. I know a lot of Leaf fans did as well. Can't understand why we are supposed to like him now. Has there ever been a more arrogant windbag in hockey? Ironic how he dislikes Don Cherry. They should be married.
Burke built a club that you just wrote can beat any team but Boston.

No one is going to stop you from trolling in here so I am obligated to point these things out.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I don't know if you're being sarcastic with that post but I never said would. I said "could".
I said "would". I am not afraid to call it like I see it Just look at the Leafs and Rangers. Leafs owned them twice already. Everybody knows that and they also swept PIT. They can easily beat Philly in 7 games so it's pretty easy to say. Boston are a prob though.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke built a club that you just wrote can beat any team but Boston.

No one is going to stop you from trolling in here so I am obligated to point these things out.
If the Leafs won the cup this year and every year for the next 50 I would still hate Brian Burke. I am not some sheep to him.

PS. Nobody stops you from constantly insulting people, including calling me names every chance you get. Seems to be few rules here so why bother with your crap all the time?

Old
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Who keeps digging up the awful, awful threads?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
From what I read I think the problem is expectations.

Maybe some fans would be overjoyed and excited that their child is getting closer and closer to passing grade 2. And how dare, some fans think that after three years of trying they would have passed by now.

Of course, this is not about passing grade 2.
This is about how long it takes Burke to keep his word.

And eventually if someone is all hot air and no results, at some point people start to question the integrity or effectiveness.
So your expectation is/was that Burke should have built a tough Stanley cup contender from an empty cupboard in 3 years, matching the style of team he said he wants to build, because had he succeeded in doing it another way it still would have been 'wrong.'

Your expectation would include all trades being rated 100% positive after the fact by all posters no matter what.

The Leafs would beat all teams in the alley, and all teams on the ice.

In a close, competitive NHL where any team can win on any given night, the Leafs would dominate all others.

He should do this while stockpiling draft picks, staying out of cap trouble and holding on to prospects.

I'm not sure why he would have trouble meeting those expectations.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
So your expectation is/was that Burke should have built a tough Stanley cup contender from an empty cupboard in 3 years, matching the style of team he said he wants to build, because had he succeeded in doing it another way it still would have been 'wrong.'

Your expectation would include all trades being rated 100% positive after the fact by all posters no matter what.

The Leafs would beat all teams in the alley, and all teams on the ice.

In a close, competitive NHL where any team can win on any given night, the Leafs would dominate all others.

He should do this while stockpiling draft picks, staying out of cap trouble and holding on to prospects.

I'm not sure why he would have trouble meeting those expectations.
You should really read what I wrote above.

I think people are tiring of his never ending stream of hot air about truculence, how he rebuild from the net out and blames the evil meddling main stream media for the team's problems.

No one expect him to be perfect but they don't want to be insulted with his silver tongued excuses. Like that girl that keeps telling you to call her back but just never has time to meet - that game is fun initially, but soon gets tiring. Plenty of fans are smart enough to realize what is going on here.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
If the Leafs won the cup this year and every year for the next 50 I would still hate Brian Burke. I am not some sheep to him.

PS. Nobody stops you from constantly insulting people, including calling me names every chance you get. Seems to be few rules here so why bother with your crap all the time?
Never said that I was perfect but constantly being sarcastic to Leaf fans who aren't doing anything wrong and who don't deserve it is your shtick.

Pretending to be a Leaf fan just so that you can troll in here isn't new so I imagine that you copied this routine from a guy like frankie.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Never said that I was perfect but constantly being sarcastic to Leaf fans who aren't doing anything wrong and who don't deserve it is your shtick.

Pretending to be a Leaf fan just so that you can troll in here isn't new so I imagine that you copied this routine from a guy like frankie.
Oh to see the world through your eyes. Must be a bright sunny one everyday.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
You should really read what I wrote above.

I think people are tiring of his never ending stream of hot air about truculence, how he rebuild from the net out and blames the evil meddling main stream media for the team's problems.

No one expect him to be perfect but they don't want to be insulted with his silver tongued excuses. Like that girl that keeps telling you to call her back but just never has time to meet - that game is fun initially, but soon gets tiring. Plenty of fans are smart enough to realize what is going on here.
Well, first of all, the girl not having time is NOT fun initially, or at all.

The Leafs ARE building from the net out.

It's not Burke's never ending stream of hot air about truculence...It's an opening press conference that the media plays over and over.

He doesn't blame the media for the team's problems...not at all, never, not one bit. He criticizes individuals in the media for being unfair, inaccurate or just plain idiots, but he holds the team accountable for the team.

Burke's more fun than a 3 game winning streak or a minor trade over the course of a season. I don't understand why you'd be upset that he talks about what he wants the team to be.

He doesn't mislead anyone, and he is attempting to build exactly what he said he would attempt to build. I think he will succeed. You apparently think he will fail.

We both probably hope I'm right, because that would make for a better result for the Leafs.

From where the team was when he joined, I think the results are startling. Obviously, that makes me pleased with his performance. I do not think he over promised and under delivered. I do think, like many, that he misjudged how good our team would be when he made the K**** trade, but so what? They've made 49 deals, added a ton of depth, added several impact players and improved every year.

I like that.

You want to talk about how people are tired of him saying what the team is going to do.

I'd like to suggest you consider what happens on this board when it's announced that he'll be on the radio.

It's like we're gathering around the wireless to listen to Radio Free Europe. So, respectfully, people are clearly NOT tired of listening to him.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:

It's not Burke's never ending stream of hot air about truculence...It's an opening press conference that the media plays over and over.

He doesn't blame the media for the team's problems...not at all, never, not one bit. He criticizes individuals in the media for being unfair, inaccurate or just plain idiots, but he holds the team accountable for the team.

Burke's more fun than a 3 game winning streak or a minor trade over the course of a season. I don't understand why you'd be upset that he talks about what he wants the team to be.

He doesn't mislead anyone, and he is attempting to build exactly what he said he would attempt to build. I think he will succeed. You apparently think he will fail.

We both probably hope I'm right, because that would make for a better result for the Leafs.

From where the team was when he joined, I think the results are startling. Obviously, that makes me pleased with his performance. I do not think he over promised and under delivered. I do think, like many, that he misjudged how good our team would be when he made the K**** trade, but so what? They've made 49 deals, added a ton of depth, added several impact players and improved every year.

I like that.

You want to talk about how people are tired of him saying what the team is going to do.

I'd like to suggest you consider what happens on this board when it's announced that he'll be on the radio.

It's like we're gathering around the wireless to listen to Radio Free Europe. So, respectfully, people are clearly NOT tired of listening to him.

Why is it important for Burke to be in the media constantly vs. the way other GMs go about their business? Was it really necessary for him to have a press conference when Colton Orr was sent to the Marlies?

Burke is so unlikable that being out there in the public all the time just makes him hated more and more and then when he can't back up his proclamations he deserved to be laughed at.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
do you grace the rangers`board by your presence as well (your favourite team, as you said it)

boy are we lucky to have you here all to ourselves

what a joy

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
do you grace the rangers`board by your presence as well (your favourite team, as you said it)

boy are we lucky to have you here all to ourselves

what a joy
Sure do. Not much to talk about on that board right now. They really only get active when the team is losing so its been pretty quiet this year for the most part. Playoffs should heat things up.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
If the Leafs won the cup this year and every year for the next 50 I would still hate Brian Burke.
of course!!!

you and the negative nancies alike

so why exactly do you post here

obviously your opinion is not affected by team performance but by burke`s presence

so until burke remains here, your crap won`t change

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
number72

Quote:

I like that.

Then why are people discussing their disappointment and posting it on HFBoards?

I agree it maybe a minority view but heck most Canadians like Healy on CBC and Cox is one of the most popular journalists. That is why he gets rehired and extended. That doesn't mean Cox or Healy are any good - they are just that he is popular.

And yes I don't doubt people want to hear Burke's. He is the GM of the team we are fans of. And yes some people find his hot air - as entertaining of the hate that Healy and Cox talk. I don't deny people have poor taste or maybe misguided that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
of course!!!

you and the negative nancies alike

so why exactly do you post here

obviously your opinion is not affected by team performance but by burke`s presence

so until burke remains here, your crap won`t change

i think it`s better to get some therapy rather than subjecting us to your nonsense
I fail to see where my thoughts on players and team performance has anything to do with Brian Burke. I am bullish on the team and can't stand Burke. Is that simple enough or do you need further guidance?

PS

There is an ignore option ya know.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Gatorade*

I wonder why the people that hate Glen Healy and Don Cherry keep watching HNIC? I mean that is what people are saying here, right? It's all or none!

Old
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Why is it important for Burke to be in the media constantly vs. the way other GMs go about their business? Was it really necessary for him to have a press conference when Colton Orr was sent to the Marlies?

Burke is so unlikable that being out there in the public all the time just makes him hated more and more and then when he can't back up his proclamations he deserved to be laughed at.
You don't like him. That doesn't mean others don't like him.

Was it necessary for Burke to hold a press conference for Orr going to the minors?

No.

You are of course aware that he did not hold a press conference for Orr going to the minors.

He spoke to the press.

The fact that this is Toronto and that several media outlets ran with that conversation answers your first point - why Toronto is different from other markets.

It is different because it is.

There is nothing wrong with Burke speaking to the media. Your radio has a dial, you can use it to tune out just as easily as I can use mine to tune in.

As you said, you don't like the guy. I get it. Everyone on the board gets it. You wish it was you and not Kevin Lowe he wanted to rent the barn for. (Now that was a boneheaded story he should have kept to himself.) We get it.

But the majority of Leaf fans find his interactions with the media entertaining, and they find the results with the hockey team to date very good.

But, like you said, you don't like him.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Gatorade*

Correct. I hate him and fully admit bias. No different than people that hate Glen Healy and all of the Toronto media haha.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Why is it important for Burke to be in the media constantly vs. the way other GMs go about their business? Was it really necessary for him to have a press conference when Colton Orr was sent to the Marlies

He is asked to interviews and does them, he was getting alot of similar questions from many reporters around the time Orr was demoted so he held a presser. He doesn't go out seeking the media, they come to him and he obliges.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote