HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's Team - Not what he promised

Old
02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
As a talent evaluator / acquirerer I give Burke full marks. When he took this team over it was loaded with overpaid vets and the cupboards were essentially as bare as you could get them. Compared to when he got here is light years ahead in terms of talent at both NHL and AHL level.

Where Burke has failed miserably is his loyalty to Ron Wilson.

Now I am not one of those guys who will get on Ron Wilson as the worst coach ever or pile on him just because we lost, but I feel a change needs to be made at this point.
Well I'll give Burke absolutely full marks for his trading and building up the farm. His FA signings have been truly abysmal though. Not a fan of Wilson but I doubt there is anything he can do with some of these players. Like you say they are professionals so they should be putting in a better effort than what we are seeing from them. Lombardi I will give a bit of a pass to since he's coming off a very bad concussion.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Gatorade*

Free Agency has traditionally been bad for most teams. Burke would be wise to tell the fans that he needs more time vs. telling them he can do it faster than everybody else.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Well I'll give Burke absolutely full marks for his trading and building up the farm. His FA signings have been truly abysmal though. Not a fan of Wilson but I doubt there is anything he can do with some of these players. Like you say they are professionals so they should be putting in a better effort than what we are seeing from them. Lombardi I will give a bit of a pass to since he's coming off a very bad concussion.
Yes his FA signings have been horrid save for some tho , Brown, McCarth,Gust,Boz have been pretty good compared to their contracts and expectations.

Save for Komi atleast none of his horrid FAs have a contract that would/could cck block us from moving on.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Free Agency has traditionally been bad for most teams. Burke would be wise to tell the fans that he needs more time vs. telling them he can do it faster than everybody else.
I would have been happy to have seen Burke take a pass on FA's last summer once he realized he couldn't get Richards. To be perfectly honest I didn't want Richards either for the price or length of what he was asking. Listening to Sabres fans and their radio guys complain about Connolly for so long there was no way I wanted the Leafs to acquire him. Unfortunately since I didn't post on this board back then I have no way of proving this. This season could have been used to give some of the guys on the Marlies some NHL experience instead.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
I would have been happy to have seen Burke take a pass on FA's last summer once he realized he couldn't get Richards. To be perfectly honest I didn't want Richards either for the price or length of what he was asking. Listening to Sabres fans and their radio guys complain about Connolly for so long there was no way I wanted the Leafs to acquire him. Unfortunately since I didn't post on this board back then I have no way of proving this. This season could have been used to give some of the guys on the Marlies some NHL experience instead.
Signing Connolly signalled Burke's strategy. He is hoping for some short term success to stop the bleeding. Nothing really wrong with that as long as he doesn't move the kids. The Rangers did the same sort of thing signing free agents while growing their own in the back ground. Makes sense for a big market club where the fans want results.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
ThreeHundred

So we play this Run and Gun style of play...
Who was the last team to win the Stanley Cup which played this style?

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Defense

It would be nice to see our 1st pick from 2009 in the line up now in 2012.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
So we play this Run and Gun style of play...
Who was the last team to win the Stanley Cup which played this style?
Maybe the ducks - but they had great goaltender who was playing way over his head to compensate for all those defensive lapses and odd man rushes.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
bluebarry

im not convinced that burke is straying from his original blueprint because of a change in stragegy as much as it is one of neccessity. If burke could have aquired the big truculent players he covets i believe he would have aquired them over some of the smaller speedier players we have.

i think he was forced to change strategy because he was unable to aquire the types of players he wanted and because of the availability of favorable trading oppertunities.

As burke continues to stalk the cupboards i wouldnt be surprised if he reverts back to size and grit when making deals/signings going forward.

i still think burke needs to be churning this roster over, im hoping for another big tradedeadline day from him even if it doesn't quite help us right away.

our goaltending isn't ready yet to compete, so imo this rebuild/retool should still be in high gear

Last edited by bluebarry: 02-12-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: d
bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:24 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Maybe the ducks - but they had great goaltender who was playing way over his head to compensate for all those defensive lapses and odd man rushes.
The Ducks were 6th in Goals against that season and 9th in Goals for.
I'm not really sure I'd consider them a "run and gun" style team.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
The Ducks were 6th in Goals against that season and 9th in Goals for.
I'm not really sure I'd consider them a "run and gun" style team.
More like a successfull run and gun style team. Just cause a team is running and gunning doesn't mean they can't play D. We just need tougher forwards that play a two way game. It doesn't help when our third line is the softest in the league.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
More like a successfull run and gun style team. Just cause a team is running and gunning doesn't mean they can't play D. We just need tougher forwards that play a two way game. It doesn't help when our third line is the softest in the league.
And a goaltender that stole plenty games and kept GA low.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 03:51 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
The twins , Tavares .

We were all over JT in the back to back games and i didn't see any bench clearing brawls to protect him .

While i don't want PK dropping the gloves , the fact remains this is a contact sport and PK has to get a little tougher .

Do people expect someone to jump in and start a fight every time PK gets bumped ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Your right, i'd like to see a little bit more push back from Kessel , but i'd also like to see a bit more push back from teammates on Kessels behalf, it's not really is forte or role on the team.
I agree that Kessel is a wuss but he at least produces. The team has a lot of soft players that don't produce enough. Maybe Burke should try putting a tough skilled player along Kessel and Lupul. Another one beside Grabovski and Kulemin and 2 more on the 3rd line with Kadri. Pretty tall order....4 tough skilled players.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I agree that Kessel is a wuss but he at least produces. The team has a lot of soft players that don't produce enough. Maybe Burke should try putting a tough skilled player along Kessel and Lupul. Another one beside Grabovski and Kulemin and 2 more on the 3rd line with Kadri. Pretty tall order....4 tough skilled players.
Why? So we can have people complain that player X is playing with Kessel and Lupes and sucks ass?

How many teams have these 'tough guys' on their top lines?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:31 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Why? So we can have people complain that player X is playing with Kessel and Lupes and sucks ass?

How many teams have these 'tough guys' on their top lines?
Plenty have them.

Look at our last three opponents, for example. Plekanec, Hartnell, and Kane will not back down physically to anyone. There are plenty more throughout the league on the first lines, second lines, and third.

The Leafs have hardly any toughness or grit in their forward group.

Brown has 20 points in his entire career. I find that to be honestly pathetic. He's a pint sized Orr who can skate better. Nothing more. Not a hockey player.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Plenty have them.

Look at our last three opponents, for example. Plekanec, Hartnell, and Kane will not back down physically to anyone. There are plenty more throughout the league on the first lines, second lines, and third.

The Leafs have hardly any toughness or grit in their forward group.

Brown has 20 points in his entire career. I find that to be honestly pathetic. He's a pint sized Orr who can skate better. Nothing more. Not a hockey player.
If only we were more like the Jets and Habs.

You're off your game.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
If only we were more like the Jets and Habs.

You're off your game.
I was simply proving a point that top six forwards don't have to be wussies like the guy in your avatar, Bozak, Grabovski, and Kulemin.

Call up my boss, he'll tell you all about it.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I was simply proving a point that top six forwards don't have to be wussies like the guy in your avatar, Bozak, Grabovski, and Kulemin
So Grabovski and Kulemin are wussies? The team's problem is boards play, and Kulemin is the best guy on the team at it.

Really off your game.

Quote:
What?

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
I lol'd irl

02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
mt99808

You don't need "tough guys" .... what u don't need is a bunch of floaters waiting for the puck with open ice.....you need guys who are going to go get the puck

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
I was simply proving a point that top six forwards don't have to be wussies like the guy in your avatar, Bozak, Grabovski, and Kulemin.

leave the troll alone....

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt99808 View Post
You don't need "tough guys" .... what u don't need is a bunch of floaters waiting for the puck with open ice.....you need guys who are going to go get the puck
I dont know what connotation "tough guy" has for you but we are talking more about guys who are skilled but also not afraid to punch you in the face if you piss him off....somebody big and hard to move from the front of the net....tough skilled players like President Camacho mentioned....also Lucic obviously is the ultimate in a tough first liner..guys like Getzlaf and Perry can be nasty when neccessary....even a guy like Holmstrom in Detroit can be considered tough in the sense that he isn't afraid to take the heat (actually one of the best to stand in the goalies face)...I'm not talking about goons. Goons are useless and serve little purpose in todays NHL...case and point...Colton Orr.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

How many same crying topics does one website need?

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
ThreeHundred

Jeff Blair was stating how Burke invested a lot of time & money on our D and we stilll don't got that Shut down Defender and our D is still pretty bad..

I kinda agree

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Jeff Blair was stating how Burke invested a lot of time & money on our D and we stilll don't got that Shut down Defender and our D is still pretty bad..

I kinda agree
Did you agree for 6 weeks when the team had 5 almost 6 shutouts and a perfect pK record? This team plays a fast high tempo system that is challenging for young defenders, and, they have shown extended glimps of being able to shut high scoring teams like the Penguins and Senators down. Not perfect, but getting better.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote