HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's Team - Not what he promised

Old
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
There are vets on our D as well
Komo is absolutely 100% the wrong defenceman for this system. He should be moved ASAP. He also sits in the press box occasionally, and was hurt for a long period this year.

Liles is not a good defenceman. Never has been and never will. Positionally, he's not very good but he makes up for it in the other end.

Phaneuf is the key veteran defenceman at 26 years old.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
7.5 is insanity for this guy! I rather not sign him if that's what its going to be.. He's no Lidstrom
He thinks he is.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Komo is absolutely 100% the wrong defenceman for this system. He should be moved ASAP. He also sits in the press box occasionally, and was hurt for a long period this year.

Liles is not a good defenceman. Never has been and never will. Positionally, he's not very good but he makes up for it in the other end.

Phaneuf is the key veteran defenceman at 26 years old.
But you said the 21-22 yr olds were getting the important minutes. Which is it? Bad D or young guys getting the shutdown mins?

Old
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Gatorade is just trolling lol. No way Phaneuf gets or deserves more than 6 imo.

I like his game - I just think it's worth between 5-5.5

In fact, I will make a poll.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Not that I disagree with the sentiment but who are the "very very young" D men? Gardiner? Yup. Does this include Schenn despite his years in the league?
Ah, yes trying to get into a semantics argument about experience. No, young is in reference to age, relative to other teams.

Gardiner-21
Schenn-22
Aulie-22
Franson-23
Gunnarson-24
Phaneuf-26

That's a very young defence core, and games played doesn't change that fact.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

yeah that seems more realistic.. 7.5 would be a joke!
I'd say 5million max

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

How can he get less when he is still in his 20's and already making 6.5?

Old
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
But you said the 21-22 yr olds were getting the important minutes. Which is it? Bad D or young guys getting the shutdown mins?
I don't know what you are trying to get at here. I'm answering honestly. We've played 9 defenceman this year, 7 of who'm are league average age or lower. Of the other 2, combined they've missed 10 weeks or so of the season.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Ah, yes trying to get into a semantics argument about experience. No, young is in reference to age, relative to other teams.

Gardiner-21
Schenn-22
Aulie-22
Franson-23
Gunnarson-24
Phaneuf-26

That's a very young defence core, and games played doesn't change that fact.
Aulie is in the AHL, isn't he?

They have some young guys but they aren't getting the big minutes. You blamed them for the defensive struggles. So who's fault is it?

How ole is the Rangers D core compared to the Leafs? The results are similar?

Old
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
number72

Quote:
Ii's not about optimism or pessimism. It's about being aware of and willing to accept the inconsistencies of a young team, specifically a young defence. I know, people hate the young team excuse but, it is a reality. We are relying on 21-22 year old defenceman for large portions of a game. Those guys will show flashes of brilliance and face palming mistakes.

As time goes on, the mistakes are less dangerous, they are fewer and far between and the periods of strong consistent hockey are extended. Like the 6 week period they recently went through with really 1 stinker of a game that is fresh in our heads.
Winnipeg was horrid. The last montreal game before this, the leafs were manhandled.
I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic - i'm trying to be objective and sometimes skew to being over critical to make the point on how the leafs management is not as blameless and faultless as people think. Or that youth excuse is not valid when they have been using the system for 3 years. Or whatever other myth people are to perpetuating

That said, they are not doing a terrible job - rather they are making some fundamental errors that are limiting the club.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
I don't know what you are trying to get at here. I'm answering honestly. We've played 9 defenceman this year, 7 of who'm are league average age or lower. Of the other 2, combined they've missed 10 weeks or so of the season.
Specifically this "I know, people hate the young team excuse but, it is a reality. We are relying on 21-22 year old defenceman for large portions of a game"

I don't think the team is "relying" on 21 and 22 yr old D men. I think that is an exaggeration. Doesn't Schenn get less than 17 mins per game?

Old
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
PresidentCamacho*

It seems as though we are relying on Dion Phaneuf (26), Carl Gunnarsson (24), JM Liles (32), oh and Gardiner (21) for most of our defence.

It's all Gardiner's fault we suck at defending. Ignore that Dion receives the lion's share of the minutes while being 12th in the league in goals against. Yeah ignore that, and lets blame it all on Jake Gardiner's rookie status.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Aulie is in the AHL, isn't he?

They have some young guys but they aren't getting the big minutes. You blamed them for the defensive struggles. So who's fault is it?

How ole is the Rangers D core compared to the Leafs? The results are similar?
You seem to want an argument. I have no interest. I've been quite clear with my view.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
You seem to want an argument. I have no interest. I've been quite clear with my view.
Not an argument at all. Just trying to see why you are fabricating the truth.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
It seems as though we are relying on Dion Phaneuf (26), Carl Gunnarsson (24), JM Liles (32), oh and Gardiner (21) for most of our defence.

It's all Gardiner's fault we suck at defending. Ignore that Dion receives the lion's share of the minutes while being 12th in the league in goals against. Yeah ignore that, and lets blame it all on Jake Gardiner's rookie status.
Apparently it is all on the 21-22 yr old D. I just don't get it.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Specifically this "I know, people hate the young team excuse but, it is a reality. We are relying on 21-22 year old defenceman for large portions of a game"

I don't think the team is "relying" on 21 and 22 yr old D men. I think that is an exaggeration. Doesn't Schenn get less than 17 mins per game?
17 minutes is significant. So is Gardiner's 20+. Aulie has also played lots of minutes this year.

Nobody said a majority of minutes or most of the minutes. Last thing on this, cause the crowd is growing, but, this team has had 9 defenceman play this year and 7 of them are at or below the average age of players in the league. Komo (who missed 7 or 8 weeks and sits several games in the press box) and Liles (who missed 4 weeks) are the only players on the club above the average age of the league.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Apparently it is all on the 21-22 yr old D. I just don't get it.
By that standard, I think I'm going to pin all the Rangers' defensive success on McDonagh.

He's the reason they are so good. Gardiner is the reason the Leafs are so bad.

They're young. We are young.

That makes sense, right?

Old
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I can see the maturity of the 2 of you seeping through my phone.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Just wait 2-3 more years for Gardiner.

He will still be young and remember, games played doesn't matter, it's just his age that counts, but also keep in mind too that Jesse Blacker might crack the team so his added youth will further excuse the Leafs from good defence.

Am I getting all this right?

Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

No, don't wait on Gardiner, he's a castoff.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
17 minutes is significant. So is Gardiner's 20+. Aulie has also played lots of minutes this year.

Nobody said a majority of minutes or most of the minutes. Last thing on this, cause the crowd is growing, but, this team has had 9 defenceman play this year and 7 of them are at or below the average age of players in the league. Komo (who missed 7 or 8 weeks and sits several games in the press box) and Liles (who missed 4 weeks) are the only players on the club above the average age of the league.
So when can we expect them to be a cup contender with this D?

Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
By that standard, I think I'm going to pin all the Rangers' defensive success on McDonagh.

He's the reason they are so good. Gardiner is the reason the Leafs are so bad.

They're young. We are young.

That makes sense, right?
I might have to repost the threads where the same people now making excuses for mistakes were fighting with people disagreeing with the Leafs having the best D in the East..... two years in a row hahaha

Old
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
So when can we expect them to be a cup contender with this D?
The posts have shifted yet another 2-3 years.

2-3 years ago, we were 2-3 years away from being a "serious contender", according to a certain spin doctor.

Personally, I think we could have spent the past 2-3 years drafting high, filling the #1 line and #1 dman position with ease through high value talent, spending the next 2-3 years further drafting, developing, and signing good contracts, then after another 2-3 years, spend two firsts and a second on a good supporting winger to reach contendership.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
I might have to repost the threads where the same people now making excuses for mistakes were fighting with people disagreeing with the Leafs having the best D in the East..... two years in a row hahaha
Naughty naughty!

You should save the good threads for another time though. Y'know, the ones where the goalposts were only shifted 5 feet over. Save the 10 footers for another time!

Old
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Not at all. You became confrontational and condescending about the Leafs D falling on a 21 and 22 yr old but you fell to pieces when pushed on this.

My suggestion is back up what you say and if you are going to become condescending and confrontational at least have the facts on your side.
The fact is we are young and can't be held responsible for anything we do, Gatorade.

Once Gardiner reaches the average NHL age of defence, we can start pointing the finger at the coach and GM. I just hope we don't give roster spots to rookies, otherwise back to square one we go. Until then, we can rest comfortably behind our average age of players, no matter how many games of hockey they have played.

Oh and the Rangers are an outlier. Del Zotto, McDonagh, Staal, and Stralman are holding them back, because of their young average age. They could be way better.