HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
If you actually were a true fan of hockey you wouldn't boo your players. you would stick behind your team through thick and thin. Thats what makes you love your team. Do you see the Yankees, Celtics, Packers and Lakers boo their players?..no Because they stick behind their team. The Yankees were horrid in the late 80's early 90's yet they stood behind their team. Give me a break
I've never understood what anyone means when they say the term "true fan" here and it gets used many times?

I guess if you're critical and unhappy with the team you cheer for you're not a "true fan"? Is that how it works? If not someone please explain it to me..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Fans should stop booing when the opponents touches the puck. Fans should stop booing the ex-habs. Fans should stop booing their own players. And now fans should stop cheering their own players.

Fans.....just stop paying to go see them....

Yes, some fans act stupidly. I heard that elsewhere as well. And true that people should stop saying how we are the most knowledgeable fans and all that crap about how great we are and all 'cause it's not true. That's just the kind of misconception that also goes with that supposed speedy and skilled team we're supposed to have....I guess it goes together.

But there's a freakin limit as to what we can tell them to do or not. And mostly when it's coming from people who actually AREN'T at the Bell Centre and can just change the channel whenever they are not happy compared to the fans that are actually glued to their seat.....
ummm ok???..Just because people aren't at the bell centre does not mean they don't know whats going on. How conceded are you?...what is the bell centre some sort of mecca now? Maybe the forum but really??? thats your come back? By your theory that means you can't boo Gomez because you really dont know whats going on with him.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
larek

Quote:
hows that grade 9 education treating you?
and you talk about booing?? lol- takes all kinds!!

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Haaabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'm talking about the booing all season. I'm not too sure about the cheering...seemed pretty sarcastic. It's pretty dumb.

Anyways, Gomez has been the wiping boy for this team's poor play and I don't quite get it. He was injured for a huge chunk of the season and the team sucked. There are so many other problems besides Gomez it's not funny. I'm not saying Gomez isn't a big problem, but he's one of many.
I agree that we have many problems, but our biggest one, salary cap wise, is Gomez. With the way he's been playing, we are stuck with him. Nobody will want to touch him with that salary and we're "stuck" with him a few more years.

He's making the same amount or close to of superstars. He's being paid to be our #1 centre yet we juggle him on lines as a winger. People are more disappointed in him then others because they had higher expectations. Those higher expectations are why he's getting all that money.

Luckily, Pierre Gauthier traded Spacek, who's contract expired at the end of this year for Kaberle, who we are now stuck with.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I don't encourage booing a player, but I'll find it amusing, humorous, and original if they cheer him every time he gets the puck and sing happy birthday Gomez. Yes, it's ridicule, but it ain't ****ing mean. And step his game up? Fans have to help him step his game up? They've waited long enough...
I said he needed fans to help him step his game up? Where?

We've waited long enough? Then blame the frigging people that brought him here and have failed year after year at getting this team anywhere near a cup since 93.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I've never understood what anyone means when they say the term "true fan" here and it gets used many times?

I guess if you're critical and unhappy with the team you cheer for you're not a "true fan"? Is that how it works? If not someone please explain it to me..
I get what your saying man but I'm saying theres a limit. Yes you can be bummed out on your team and say a few choice words. But to completely obliterate someone's soul on almost the one yr anniversary of the last time they scored a goal is a joke.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I said he needed fans to help him step his game up? Where?

We've waited long enough? Then blame the frigging people that brought him here and have failed year after year at getting this team anywhere near a cup since 93.
The pushy fans who want the front office to be all French ?

There's blame all around.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
I agree that we have many problems, but our biggest one, salary cap wise, is Gomez. With the way he's been playing, we are stuck with him. Nobody will want to touch him with that salary and we're "stuck" with him a few more years.

He's making the same amount or close to of superstars. He's being paid to be our #1 centre yet we juggle him on lines as a winger. People are more disappointed in him then others because they had higher expectations. Those higher expectations are why he's getting all that money.

Luckily, Pierre Gauthier traded Spacek, who's contract expired at the end of this year for Kaberle, who we are now stuck with.
You're right... His salary is a problem but as you said...we just traded for Kaberle. People seem to think we'd get an impact player if Gomez's salary was removed. But I don't see that happening with the management in place. I could see us with Leino and/or Penner.

Old
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Gomez ends up on suicide watch seriously.
I can give you 7 million reasons why he isn't suicidal..

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post

Holy **** are people sensitive in here in regards to Gomez. Fans have had enough of the player, not the person. They boo or cheer the player Gomez is, not the person. He might be a nice guy, funny, loving, caring... But the fans go to watch hockey, a form of entertainment. We're passionate about it, and when we see a player not performing well, looking like he doesn't give a ****ing **** about the jersey he's wearing, then boo/cheer out of sarcasm or happiness/chant/sing ridicule songs all you want. We're doing it to the player, not the person.
Oh snap, there's two Gomez'. Now I get it.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
hockeyfan2k11

"Hi Scott. I'm a Habs fan and would love you to play better and live up to your contract. So at this point, I'm going to boo you. Somehow some way, the booing will encourage you to play better. No, I won't boo other players who stink on the team. Just you. Oh, btw, could you please put in a good word for us to Parise and Suter and tell them that Montreal's a great place to play and how we have the greatest fans in the world? K, thanx.

PS: You suck and I hope you retire.
PPS: Nothing personal"

Old
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Beendair Donedat

7.5 million reasons why he deserves the Bronx cheer. He deserves everything he gets for his complete lack of production. Not only is he having a terrible year, again, but he brings down the production of every linemate who is forced to carry him. Anyone defending Blowmez Should give their head a shake.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Darth Joker

I don't support the booing/sarcastic cheering, per se, but what do people expect?

He's grossly overpaid and he's grossly underperformed the past year and a half. If it was just one or the other I'd encourage fans to give him some slack, but the combo is quite a dozy. How can it not piss fans off royally? Especially in the cap era?

Frankly, if there's any player that's ever wore a Habs jersey that deserved to be booed (while still a Hab), it's Gomez. At least Smolinski and Samsonov during their horrid years here weren't taking up that much of the team's budget (and I can recall Smolinski getting ripped to pieces and made fun of on this very forum).

I'm sure that Gomez himself, as a paid professional, can understand why he's getting booed. It's to be expected, really.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:00 PM
larek

Quote:
"Hi Scott. I'm a Habs fan and would love you to play better and live up to your contract. So at this point, I'm going to boo you. Somehow some way, the booing will encourage you to play better. No, I won't boo other players who stink on the team. Just you. Oh, btw, could you please put in a good word for us to Parise and Suter and tell them that Montreal's a great place to play and how we have the greatest fans in the world? K, thanx.

PS: You suck and I hope you retire.
PPS: Nothing personal"
i havnt heard really any boos on gomez not at home - imsurprised
your arguing about nothing

Old
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I cant speak for all the fans and their intentions, but for me personally, the streak has gone so long that there is nothing else you can do except laugh. You end up cheering for the guy at this point

I think the streak has become bigger than the player itself. As a result, fans are eagerly anticipating a Gomez goal.

Its gone past the point of Gomez not producing offensively and being booed for it. At this stage, everyone wonders when the streak will be snapped, and are cheering him along.... that is if the fans in the building are anything like me.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
ummm ok???..Just because people aren't at the bell centre does not mean they don't know whats going on. How conceded are you?...what is the bell centre some sort of mecca now? Maybe the forum but really??? thats your come back? By your theory that means you can't boo Gomez because you really dont know whats going on with him.
I think you missed the point of his post.

He's simply saying that we shouldn't judge the people who boo/cheer sarcastically at the bell centre because they pay big bucks to see their team suck live while we just watch at home having the ability to switch the channel.

IMO, they have the right to do whatever they want, it's not a kindergarden play we're watching, it's millionaires playing hockey.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

He should ask to be send down. He knows he's not going to be picked anyway, if so, GREAT for him and for us but since he knows it's not going to happen, chances are he goes in Hamilton and I can tell you that he scores in his first game there. Fun to laugh at him and call him terrible, which he is most nights, yet, he's too strong to be in the AHL so he would rack up points....which would most likely give him some confidence. That's what he needs. I actually can't believe they didn't come to that sooner. We needed a confident Gomez, sending him down with his approval, making him understand the reasoning behind it, would have been ideal for everybody. But that's real thinking outside the box, which we don't do. Unless, signing players during the season was what Gauthier had in mind when he said that, which is real funny 'cause most teams if not ALL the teams were already doing that....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:23 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What's really funny is Carbo whining about it on AC after.
He said it's unfair that the fans will boo Qc born players like Breezer, but Gomez get's cheered. What an idiot...lol
Yeah I saw that. Is Carbo stupid? Legit question. How does he actually come to the conclusion that the cheers directed at Gomez were supportive? This explains why he hasn't found a coaching job if he can't put this together.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Yeah I saw that. Is Carbo stupid? Legit question. How does he actually come to the conclusion that the cheers directed at Gomez were supportive? This explains why he hasn't found a coaching job if he can't put this together.
I figured that the cheers were satirical but not unsupportive. It's kinda like a "meh what else could we do but cheer?".

Carbo is one the best hockey minds in history, you really have no idea what you're asking do you?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I figured that the cheers were satirical but not unsupportive. It's kinda like a "meh what else could we do but cheer?".

Carbo is one the best hockey minds in history, you really have no idea what you're asking do you?
didnt he have ninny on koivu line one game????

Old
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Gomez was the central piece if we are to believe the rumours. The one who was the reason why Gionta and Cammalleri (lol) signed with the Habs.

It's pathetic that he has been so bad for so long.

Sorry this isn't Florida where nobody gives a **** about hockey.

I'm embarrassed that people actually defend Gomez here.
That's only a logical reason if you believe the rumours, and if you do, you're gullible as hell.

$$$ brought Cammy and Gionta here.

Now, present a real argument as to why Gomez is the reason this team sucks.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
the price to dehumanize a person?
so now booing and/or mock celebrating milestones of scoring futility in a simple sports game is considered "dehumanizing"

some of you really need to get out and experience the world a bit more... there is much more to life than hockey.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Yeah, it sucks, but I blame management for not having the guts to do anything about it. He should have been in the AHL a long time ago. I feel for Gomez because all the jokes/talk/media attention about him seems to be making him fall further into the gutter. Time away from Montreal in the AHL would not only help the Habs, but it would probably help Gomez as well.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
LastChancePrice

He fully deserve these ovations. Hey one year without scoring goal, thats a nice anniversary to celebrate... the only question remain. How can you consider yourself a nhl player when u cant score a goal in a year?

Must be sent down to AHL next season or it will be written failure all over again.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Et le But

Gomez is done here. He's had his moments even lately but he's one dimensional and has become such a running joke that I just don't see how anyone in management could survive if he plays even a single game with the Habs next year. It's the AHL or Europe for him, assuming there's no NBA-style amnesty clause in the new CBA.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote