HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rule clarification - tripping

Old
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Puck Farise

vCash: 500
Rule clarification - tripping

I have this play happen against me at least once a game in my inline league, and it NEVER gets called. So I just want to see if I'm right in complaining about this.

I'm carrying the puck up the left side cutting towards the slot for a shot (right handed shot), and a guy trailing me slightly from my right slides to either block my shot or a desperate attempt at poke checking the puck away from me. Every time, the guy misses the puck and I get the shot off...and at the same time I'm taking down by what basically turns into a soccer-style slide tackle. Tripping, no?

This exact play happened last night in the final minute of a tied game, and lead to an odd man rush the other way...on which one of our guys was forced to take a (deserved) penalty to prevent them from scoring. So it went from a (I think) should be power play for us, to putting us on the penalty kill within 5 seconds.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

From what you described I'd say yes but without actually seeing it I'm not sure I'm completely clear.

I've never seen a soccer style slide tackle as it would be pretty much a penalty each ad everytime.

I think the rule does allow for some leeway in that a player making a play for the puck who does play the puck first but ends up tripping the guy is sometimes not called. But that's usually a dive/poke check from behind situation.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Dutchie83

The summary of the ice hockey rule is:

If a player is sliding across the ice and knocks the puck off the oppenent's stick prior to making body contact the tripping action shall be ignored.

If it happens as described it sounds like a penalty but I dont know if inline differs from ice or not.

Dutchie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
TrickyRicky
The Magic Man

Depends where you play. I play at Mastercard in Toronto (Truenorthhockey). Our first game in the league, guy had a step on me, I dove, knocked the puck away with my stick, and my body slid through and took his feet out. I couldn't believe I got whistled for a penalty. After pointing out to the ref that I got all puck first, it was explained in this league that it is considered a dangerous hockey play even with contacting the puck first. There are some real lame rules in this paticular league, this is one that bugs me A LOT!

TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
rinkrat22

when I reffed I called it this way. much like an interferance penality. If you dove and crossed their established skating lane whether you got the puck or not I called the trip. if you lay out to block a lane and they cut to the net into your established lane no penality.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
From what you described I'd say yes but without actually seeing it I'm not sure I'm completely clear.

I've never seen a soccer style slide tackle as it would be pretty much a penalty each ad everytime.

I think the rule does allow for some leeway in that a player making a play for the puck who does play the puck first but ends up tripping the guy is sometimes not called. But that's usually a dive/poke check from behind situation.
Yea, the slide tackle reference was more because of the angle I was taken out at. The guy didn't slide feet first. He slid long ways from my right side and slightly behind me right into my skates.

I'd have no problem if he actually caught the puck. I've taken guys out from behind while also getting the puck in the diving poke check situation you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
when I reffed I called it this way. much like an interferance penality. If you dove and crossed their established skating lane whether you got the puck or not I called the trip. if you lay out to block a lane and they cut to the net into your established lane no penality.
It would also be more understandable if he slid at me head on, so I'd have a chance at jumping over or stepping around him. But if a guys coming hard at you from the side, you're expecting him to reach in for a pokecheck or to try to bump you off the puck...not take a slide at your legs.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Gino 14

USAH definition of a trip like you described, no mention about puck contact:

(2) Deliberately leaves his feet or lowers his body to make
contact with the opponent at or below the knees
(Clipping), unless done so for the purpose of blocking a
shot.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote