HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards playing injured ? [All Posts re: the Mike Richards Debate Go in Here]

Old
02-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Mike with another awful game on his birthday and a give away right in front of Quick. Simmonds with a 1 goal, 1 assist and a fight today. Sigh.

We now have a 27 year old making over 5 million with no goals in 20 games.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Mike with another awful game on his birthday and a give away right in front of Quick. Simmonds with a 1 goal, 1 assist and a fight today. Sigh.

Yawn

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:19 AM
damacles1156

Quote:

Last Goal was Jan 14 Eleven games ago. Kopitar went 18 games this year with no goals.

Richards played well today, he had one bag give away all game long. But his line created all the scoring chances almost.

I love Simmer just like the next guy(happy he is producing). But your constant crying is so annoying.

Find a new hobbie please.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What do you think Simmonds' or Schenn's numbers would be had they been with the Kings? Where do you think LA would be had they not done the Richards trade? I don't think they'd be any better (and who knows if they'd be any worse), but the Kings' problems is from top to bottom, every player on the roster is suffering, Richards included.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:41 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 50
I know im reading too much into this but that "Richards/ Stoll eye roll clip". Could that be a glimpse as to the lockeroom comradere currently being felt. Its obvious the effort isnt team wide. No one fighting Bergenheim. We are playing like the friendly giants collecting daisies at the teddy bears picnic

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Winger23

Personally getting sick of hearing how Simmonds is such a better player than Richards. It's been rehashed over and over and over. We get it. Simmonds is a stud that should still be a king yada yada yada. Simmonds would be the Kings savior. Simmonds has a bigger slong. Simmonds is a beast. Simmonds doesn't need deordorant cause his **** don't stink.

Did I miss anything?

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:46 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Last Goal was Jan 14 Eleven games ago. Kopitar went 18 games this year with no goals.

Richards played well today, he had one bag give away all game long. But his line created all the scoring chances almost.

I love Simmer just like the next guy(happy he is producing). But your constant crying is so annoying.

Find a new hobbie please.
But he still managed to score at a 50 point pace during that stretch...and I believe it was 17 games.

Mike Richard's current streak:
21gp . 5pts . 1g . 4a . -3

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:51 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
But he still managed to score at a 50 point pace during that stretch...and I believe it was 17 games.

Mike Richard's current streak:
21gp . 5pts . 1g . 4a . -3
Point is the entire team is struggling minus Brown and Kopitar, Quick (on pace for averages).

Richards played decent today. Wish he would score, but that line pretty much had all the scoring chances today.

This was a game he looked like his old self, and that's saying something when Nolan/King play better than Stoll and Penner.

I hate Dean Lombardi, but it sucks for us that we are stuck with Mike Richards so freakin deal with it(johnny Utah). I manage too.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old
02-12-2012, 02:00 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Point is the entire team is struggling minus Brown and Kopitar, Quick (on pace for averages).

Richards played decent today. Wish he would score, but that line pretty much had all the scoring chances today.
He certainly looked like had some more jump than usual today. I think it might have something do with fact that he was playing semi-competent line mates. This season Penner & Stoll have literally put on some of the worst performances I've ever seen by NHL level players. I'd rather have Brian Willsie or Scott Thornton back.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:02 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He certainly looked like had some more jump than usual today. I think it might have something do with fact that he was playing semi-competent line mates. This season Penner & Stoll have literally put on some of the worst performances I've ever seen by NHL level players. I'd rather have Brian Willsie or Scott Thornton back.
I agree

Look I miss Simmer as well.

Dean is a complete idiot for letting Smyth, Zues, Simmer leave. But it is what it is.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:45 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
He didn't have an awful game and you knew that when you typed this. He had 5 shots on goal and 3 that missed, he played hard, set up this linemates (rookies) and put pressure on. He was better than most any other forward on the team/.

At the time of his injury, he was playing terrfic hockey ,scoring goalsand playing solid in his own zone ,defending his teammates and having a great year. That inujry changed everything, not just for him but for the team. And the revolving door of wingers didn't help, esp given how poor Stoll and Penner were. But Richards game has picked up since the St Louis game and yesterday was the best he's looked since Dec 1 and the injury.
Even if he did score a hatrick, you'd find something to ***** about because somehow in your mind it's his fault that he is a King and Simmoinds isn't.

I've watched almost every Flyer game an I like Simmonds. But you seem to think that scoring goals = NHL success and Stanley Cup
it's only one part of a successful team and the recipe for a championship. Solid Goaltending and good defense and blocking shots by players willing to sacrifice are more important and the Flyers don't have that.
Simmonds , for all offensive skill , hustle and heart is a -2.

Giroux, a brilliant offensive player, one of the most exciting players to watch in the league, amazing with the puck skating offensively has 62 points and is -2. Last year he ended the year a plus 20. This year, with Richards and Carter, the teams two best defensive forwards gone, he's had to play against top lines (which he didn't have to do last year) and he is not skilled guarding the zone, he makes turnovers and poor decisions at times.

SImmonds will be playing golf this spring long before the Kings will.

The Flyers, for all the goal scoring that you seem to think is so important can't win unless the score 4 or more goals because they give up over 3 a game. They gave up 11 goals last weekend and lost 4 points in 2 losses to division opponets, they then lost 1-0 to the Islanders , barely beat the Leafs 4-3 and got their butts kicked by the Rangers yesterday and will get wiped out by the Red Wings tonight (Wings ahve 19 wins in a row and home ,an arena the FLyers have no luck in at all historically).
If Pittsburgh wins, the Flyers drop to 3rd in the divison with the Devils right behind them.

A high scoring team if fun and exiciting to watch, but a deep and succesful playoff run requires solid goaltending , good D and at least one skilled shutdown center.
The Kings have the potential to go further because they know how to win a 1-0 or 2-1 game, the Flyers cant (and haven't) been able to do.

Last edited by deeshamrock: 02-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
He didn't have an awful game and you knew that when you typed this. He had 5 shots on goal and 3 that missed, he played hard, set up this linemates (rookies) and put pressure on. He was better than most any other forward on the team/.

At the time of his injury, he was playing terrfic hockey ,scoring goalsand playing solid in his own zone ,defending his teammates and having a great year. That inujry changed everything, not just for him but for the team. And the revolving door of wingers didn't help, esp given how poor Stoll and Penner were. But Richards game has picked up since the St Louis game and yesterday was the best he's looked since Dec 1 and the injury.
Even if he did score a hatrick, you'd find something to ***** about because somehow in your mind it's his fault that he is a King and Simmoinds isn't.

I've watched almost every Flyer game an I like Simmonds. But you seem to think that scoring goals = NHL success and Stanley Cup
it's only one part of a successful team and the recipe for a championship. Solid Goaltending and good defense and blocking shots by players willing to sacrifice are more important and the Flyers don't have that.
Simmonds , for all offensive skill , hustle and heart is a -2.

Giroux, a brilliant offensive player, one of the most exciting players to watch in the league, amazing with the puck skating offensively has 62 points and is -2. Last year he ended the year a plus 20. This year, with Richards and Carter, the teams two best defensive forwards gone, he's had to play against top lines (which he didn't have to do last year) and he is not skilled guarding the zone, he makes turnovers and poor decisions at times.

SImmonds will be playing golf this spring long before the Kings will.

The Flyers, for all the goal scoring that you seem to think is so important can't win unless the score 4 or more goals because they give up over 3 a game. They gave up 11 goals last weekend and lost 4 points in 2 losses to division opponets, they then lost 1-0 to the Islanders , barely beat the Leafs 4-3 and got their butts kicked by the Rangers yesterday and will get wiped out by the Red Wings tonight (Wings ahve 19 wins in a row and home ,an arena the FLyers have no luck in at all historically).
If Pittsburgh wins, the Flyers drop to 3rd in the divison with the Devils right behind them.

A high scoring team if fun and exiciting to watch, but a deep and succesful playoff run requires solid goaltending , good D and at least one skilled shutdown center.
The Kings have the potential to go further because they know how to win a 1-0 or 2-1 game, the Flyers cant (and haven't) been able to do.
Great post, dee. I agree with much of what you said here. The Kings are going to have to figure out how to score more than they are right now to even get to the playoffs, though.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
moosehead81

Quote:

As I said before- You're starting to sound like a small number of Philly fans and media types during Richards' last quarter year with the Flyers. Did you re-locate from there recently to bring that kind of hate with you? The actual fact is, yes, MR coughed the puck up in front of the net trying to get it across to the left but that likely happens a dozen times in any one game. In fact, Richards' give-away rate (the number of give-aways per minute played) is currently at almost the same rate as Brown and Kopitar (0.036-0.036-0.033) but nowhere near that of Williams (0.048) so let's not go off half-cocked cause you got a beef with a player who came with an up-beat reputation and maybe hasn't got off to the great year every-one expected (and who would, playing with pancake Penner and stalled Stoll). I thought Mike and the 2 rookies played a decent game yesterday and except for a few unlucky bounces and/or not being ready for the puck, might have chipped in a couple of goals.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
ZJames

Quote:

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
As I said before- You're starting to sound like a small number of Philly fans and media types during Richards' last quarter year with the Flyers. Did you re-locate from there recently to bring that kind of hate with you? The actual fact is, yes, MR coughed the puck up in front of the net trying to get it across to the left but that likely happens a dozen times in any one game. In fact, Richards' give-away rate (the number of give-aways per minute played) is currently at almost the same rate as Brown and Kopitar (0.036-0.036-0.033) but nowhere near that of Williams (0.048) so let's not go off half-cocked cause you got a beef with a player who came with an up-beat reputation and maybe hasn't got off to the great year every-one expected (and who would, playing with pancake Penner and stalled Stoll). I thought Mike and the 2 rookies played a decent game yesterday and except for a few unlucky bounces and/or not being ready for the puck, might have chipped in a couple of goals.
Well said.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Great post, dee. I agree with much of what you said here. The Kings are going to have to figure out how to score more than they are right now to even get to the playoffs, though
Absolutely! I agree 100% and have been frustrated all year by the Kings lack of scoring (and a major fail on TM's part for taking 22 games to have Richards and Gagne skate their first shift together, 2 games later Richards goes down...) Somehow their system creates a malaria of sorts for the offense.

But that the Kings have in place the solid goaltending and good D , for me, is the much harder thing to form, improve and have in place. I've been watching hockey for over 35 years and most of the better teams who have deep runs and eventually cups, start with the solid Goaltending and good defense. ANd a stud goalie is one of few players who can carry a team on his play alone in the playoffs.

I hope that DL gets a winger for Kopi's line and the leftover guy spills down to Richards , keeping Nolan on the other side or Gagne if he returns (which given the photo I saw of him a few days ago, with a long beard , means that he feels he will. He told Justin Williams at the time of the injury, not to ask how he's doing until he shaves. )
So as long as that hair is growing, he is workiung on coming back, if not , if he was told he's done for the year , he's have shaved it off by now.
And i hope he does get well and in game shape by April because he's generally a money player in the playoffs.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
You can tell hes frustrated. I hope he can overcome it quickly.
Flyers fan here. Richards tends to go through scoring slumps, during which you can see the frustration getting to him. He's never been a high scoring #1 center, rather a guy that goes through his ups and downs and brings a lot of things that don't show up on the score sheet. Recovering from an injury is probably just compounding that.

Wait til the playoffs before you write the guy off. He'll be a beast. Don't be Philly and run the guy out of town because of an injury-related slump.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
backhander

richards will hit his stride soon and hopefully carryout through the season and into the post season!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Johnny Utah

Schenn with two more goals tonight bringing him to 8 goals in 28 games.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:30 AM
damacles1156

Philly still lost, but Schenn looked good, so did Simmer.

Simmer is having one hell of a year (good for him).

Old
02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
tomd

Quote:
Schenn with two more goals tonight bringing him to 8 goals in 28 games.
Is Schenn already as good as Richards?

The Richards trade is going to be scary bad for the LA organization.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Is Schenn already as good as Richards?

lol.......

I watch a lot of Flyers games, I have family from there, so those are my 'early' games. I can tell you Schenn isn't near the level of Richards. His defense and vision aren't even in the same zip code. I do love Schenn's shot and drive, but lets be real here.

Kind of silly to blast a trade so soon after it happened. Simmonds is having a nice year, but IMO he's still not near the level he was his sophomore season in LA. I think a lot of folks are caught up in stats and do not watch PHI play on a regular basis. He looks more like the Simmonds of last year than the one from two years ago. The only reason his points are up is because he gets major PP time. Take that away and he would be producing about the same that he did here, roughly about the same as JJ. Wayne was one of my favorite Kings, but many are acting like he's taken it to the next level when he hasn't. He was good here and he's good in Philly, but so far his best season has been in a Kings uniform. He's simply benefiting from an offensive-first system. There's a reason a guy like Read can step right in and produce and why a guy like Talbot can come on and shatter his previous high in points.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
ShattStar03

Put Kopitar on an offensively centered team he'll have +40 goals
Put Doughty in an offensively centered team = more points
Put Richards in an offensively centered team = 20-30+ goals
Same with Penner, Stoll etc.

Don't blame the players, blame the system, if you look at the rest of the team aside from Kopitar, NO ONE is producing in accordance to their potential, you can even argue with that idea with Kopitar whom I can easily see scoring 40+ goals a season.

What happened to Moulson, Purcell, Simmonds while they were here? They could hardly score as well.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Put Kopitar on an offensively centered team he'll have +40 goals
Put Doughty in an offensively centered team = more points
Put Richards in an offensively centered team = 20-30+ goals
Same with Penner, Stoll etc.

Don't blame the players, blame the system, if you look at the rest of the team aside from Kopitar, NO ONE is producing in accordance to their potential, you can even argue with that idea with Kopitar whom I can easily see scoring 40+ goals a season.

What happened to Moulson, Purcell, Simmonds while they were here? They could hardly score as well.
That's not really true.

Simmer has the same amount of even strength points he had in a Kings uniform at the same point in the season.

The bulk of his points are coming in PP minutes. Simmer didn't play the PP in LA. So remove his PP time and points, he is on pace for a career average.

The same can be said for Purcell.

Moulson just never got a Legit shot to play in LA. So no one knows what he would have done.

Nolan and King have created plenty of chanes in two games. Manchester plays the same system.

It's system AND PLAYERS. If people are not willing to go to scoring areas it doesn't matter what system you are running(you won't score). Linemates HAVE A LOT to do with production. See Mike playing harder last two games? wonder why that is....

The Kings lost a ton of size and net PRESENCE in Smyth,Zues,Simmer. I went back and watched a lot of games from 2009-10 season (Drew's best season). A lot of goals were created by Zues/Symth.

It's not always going to show up in the score sheet. But those two guys made goalies, and D men's lives very hard.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
topliner967

Simmonds also has 131 shots in 56 games (2,34/G) this year... last year he had 117 in 80 games (1,46/G). I'm sure at least some of that is because of the difference in systems.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote