HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2004, 07:49 PM
HABSMANIA21*

vCash: 500
Question

I am a huge HABS fan. I'm also starting to like the red sox. Would it be ok for a Huge HABS fan to be a fan of the BOSTON red sox?

Old
10-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
You may only cheer for Washington's MLB team from now on.

Old
10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
HABSMANIA21*

?

Why the Hell would i cheer for the Washington Senators

Old
10-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Think about what just happened to the Expos

Old
10-21-2004, 09:21 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK HABSFAN
I am a huge HABS fan. I'm also starting to like the red sox. Would it be ok for a Huge HABS fan to be a fan of the BOSTON red sox?
Absolutely not! You're a traitor now and you shall be punished with the most extreme form of torture available to HABS traitors......you will not be permitted to watch any NHL hockey whatsoever in the 2004-2005 season.
Now go kneel in the corner and think about what you've done.

Old
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Too bad cuz I love the Red Sox too ! Pedro and Cabby baby ! There's no Red Sox that I really dislike so I'm cool with them.

GO SOX GO ! (for now)

Old
10-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
You will definitely need a special permission. I suggest we form a committee of elders who can deliberate in good conscience to verify if this odd affliction of yours would constitute a serious impediment to your continuing being a Habs' fan. Many aspects will need to be examined. For instance, does this (rooting for a baseball team based in Boston) violate your sacred oath to "uphold the virtue and root only for the Club de Hockey Canadien" (Habs' Fans bylaws, section XXIII, page 832) ? Will the Sacred Pretzel be angered? How much are you willing to pay to have us let this slide?

Old
10-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Darz

Quote:
Yes it is O.K. BTW, you could also like the Celtics, Sam Adams beer, Aerosmith and Denis Leary if so desired.

Old
10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Yes it is O.K. BTW, you could also like the Celtics, Sam Adams beer, Aerosmith and Denis Leary if so desired.
May I see your permission slip, please?

Old
10-22-2004, 08:17 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
No one should root for the Red Sox, no matter which hockey team they're a fan of. Problem solved.

Old
10-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
May I see your permission slip, please?
Um.....my sheep ate it.....honestly!!!

Old
10-22-2004, 08:19 AM
velimiiro

Jump on the bandwagon.. of course

Old
10-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Um.....my sheep ate it.....honestly!!!
I'm afraid the Committee will take a very dim view of this. I'll have to ask you to immediately surrender your fan certificate, Guy Lafleur posters and any pretzels you might currently be holding, pending consideration of your case (Handbook, section XXVIII, sub-section 8.03)

Old
10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Go Sox Go. They've got Pedro and Cabrera and the Bruins board is the second best on the site. If you can't be happy for Wally,DKH and company, well.... Besides we know we'll convert them someday.

Old
10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Denis Leary rules!

Old
10-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Joe Malone

Don't tell anybody, but I've been rooting for the Habs and Red Sox for many years. I guess I discovered Jean Beliveau and Carl Yastrzemski around the same time.

Old
10-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Don't tell anybody, but I've been rooting for the Habs and Red Sox for many years. I guess I discovered Jean Beliveau and Carl Yastrzemski around the same time.
Please see my response to Darz.

Man, that Committee is going to be busy.

Old
10-22-2004, 09:18 AM
LePoche69

...I'll be very subjective here, against a lot of people's favorite team, but hey! Let's have fun during the lockout.

To me, it's OK for you to root for the Red Sox because in a way, we can say that they are not a Boston's pro team. Let me explain : The Red Sox belongs to the "Red Sox Nation" and that nation, while mainly in New England, have little to do with Boston itself! Red Sox belongs more to a virtual space somewhere between Ted Williams' frozen body, Babe Ruth's selling contract, and the legendary "Fields-of-dream-for-loosers-and-cursed", next to the Chicago Cubs' clubhouse.

That being said, to me (and that's the part where I'm being subjective a lot), if you are a real BASEBALL fan, the Red Sox can't be your team. Every year, there's always a team of big fat hitters (but below average ball players) who make it to the world series, and this year, it's the Red Sox.

How on earth a fan of real and good baseball can like this team? Except for Pedro, Curt, Varitek and Trot Nixon, almost nobody on that team can play a complete baseball game. Ortiz, Miller and Ramirez cannot catch a ball. While he WAS an amazing defensive center fielder, Damon is now average at best. There's no regular player who can steal a base anytime, no one who could do a good "hit and run". Cabrera, while playing a good defensive game with energy, doesn't know what it is to hit according to the situation (behind the runner? on the ground? etc.) No, really, it's not a team you want to give in example for showing good baseball. They beat an aging Yankees team who is starting to have the same flaws.

No, a baseball fan should root for the Cards, no doubt. They got good average and power hitters almost everywhere in the lineup. They have 3 players who can steal a base anytime and 3 others who can do it if necessary. Almost all of their regular players are "golden glove" caliber defender. They can beat you with "Power Ball", "Small Ball", speed or defense. Every hitter can take the base on ball, hit behind the runner, sacrifice himself, etc. A real good classy baseball team, amazingly well coached, like it should be teached. And if you say "no, I prefer longballs", what about Pujols, Rolen, Walker and Edmonds. They are all capable to match Ramirez and Ortiz's power while miles ahead of them in the defensive and running department. A lot of people who just watched the Red Sox-Yankees series will be amazed to see the patience of Pujols, the amazing catches of Edmonds, the allaround sound play of Renteria, etc. etc. etc.

Go Cards Go, for the love of a beautifull game as it should be played.

Old
10-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Please see my response to Darz.

Man, that Committee is going to be busy.
Immediately surrender my fan certificate, Guy Lafleur posters and any pretzels I might currently be holding? Really?

Well, I lost my fan certificate, I ate the pretzels.................and I will accept death more freely than relinquishing my Guy Lafleur poster.

Tell the committee they better have lawyers, guns and money at their disposal if they try taking my poster of Guy Lafleur.

Old
10-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Why the Hell would i cheer for the Washington Senators
The Washington Grays perhaps?

That's what the Washington mayor wants to name the team. This link is a story about baseball coming to Washington. It's called "The Swindle of the Century."

http://www.counterpunch.org/zirin10022004.html

It's worth reading.

Old
10-22-2004, 01:56 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
The Washington Grays perhaps?

That's what the Washington mayor wants to name the team. This link is a story about baseball coming to Washington. It's called "The Swindle of the Century."

http://www.counterpunch.org/zirin10022004.html

It's worth reading.
I just read it. Ouch!

Thanks for the link. Real interesting.

Old
10-22-2004, 02:42 PM
mcphee

If they call them the Grays, it'll be easier to like them, that would be the classy way to go. Selig would find a way to ruin it though.

LePoche, I think you're being a bit hard on the Sox. They aren't a perfect team but you can't just pick the best team and root for them. The team's loaded with 'dirt dogs'. They aren't stylish but they get the job done. They have a few guys who will never get gold glove consideration, but make the plays when they count. For all the talk of Millar and co.'s poor defense, they play solid ball. Damon isn't of Edmonds quality but he's ok. I like Boston in the series because I just don't think the Cards starting pitching is good enough. I think the cards have the makings of a great team, especially on the corners, but I think they'll have to wait a year. I don't think the Sox fans will care if this is their best team or not if they can get it done. I get your point, those old Brewer teams never won it all, but I don't think this is quite the same thing. Tell you what though, I'd be happy for Larry Walker, I always thought he was a bit underappreciated here.

Old
10-22-2004, 03:08 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If they call them the Grays, it'll be easier to like them, that would be the classy way to go. Selig would find a way to ruin it though.

LePoche, I think you're being a bit hard on the Sox. They aren't a perfect team but you can't just pick the best team and root for them. The team's loaded with 'dirt dogs'. They aren't stylish but they get the job done. They have a few guys who will never get gold glove consideration, but make the plays when they count. For all the talk of Millar and co.'s poor defense, they play solid ball. Damon isn't of Edmonds quality but he's ok. I like Boston in the series because I just don't think the Cards starting pitching is good enough. I think the cards have the makings of a great team, especially on the corners, but I think they'll have to wait a year. I don't think the Sox fans will care if this is their best team or not if they can get it done. I get your point, those old Brewer teams never won it all, but I don't think this is quite the same thing. Tell you what though, I'd be happy for Larry Walker, I always thought he was a bit underappreciated here.
I know I was too hard on the Red Sox. Like I said, I was subjective a lot. And put that on the back of a normal counter reaction to all the "over-love" that this team is getting right now, just because they beat Steinbrenner's Yankees (by the way, the Yanks had more homegrown talent on their team than the Sox, and the Sox have the second highest payroll -- so long to the "evil empire" song, right?)

That being said, my post was just to point out that "good" baseball doesn't have anything to do with "fun" or "entertaining" baseball. And I feel that because of the hype surrounding the Sox-Yanks series, the Cards didn't receive the attention they should have received. And I'm not simply rooting for the "best" team. In fact, at the beginning of the series, I was rooting for the Twins because I like the way they play baseball : because they don't have a lot of money, they rely on perfect ABC baseball to win, and as a baseball fan, I love it. They do win, year after year, which is amazing. I love baseball as a game and as a sport, and fewer and fewer teams plays it as a sport, more like a "home run show". I like athletism, and just a few teams give you that (like the Cards or the Twins -- and Beltran of the Astros).

I agree that Cards' pitching isn't as good as Boston's. But they're well coached and well catched. We'll see if it can make a difference. Anyway, it's gonna be a hell of a world series, IMO.

Old
10-22-2004, 03:14 PM
LePoche69

Oh! And by the way, we'll see what will happen in St-Louis when Millar, Ramirez and Ortiz will play the field in the same time... It will be scary

...I know that Ortiz is a great hitter and I'm probably getting nostalgic, but as a sport fan, I have trouble respecting a player who can only be a DH. It's like respecting a good scorer who would have to go back to the bench the minute his team is loosing the puck!!!!

Old
10-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Habsaku

I've always loved the Red Sox as much as the Expos while hating the bruins, nothing wrong with it.

Closed Thread