HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What was Gauthier's biggest mistake this year?

Old
02-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Frank Doby

vCash: 500
By order:
1. Markov
2. Non replacement of Harmlik defensive abilities
3. Anyway he will be fired at the end of this season, i have no time to loose with this loser

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If praying your goalie stands on his head every game is a "system" then yes he has one. The habs standing around praying to grab a rebound or hop on a mistake is not a system. The man rode Price and Halak his entire time here, ask yourself this if we didn't have that crazy run in the playoffs would he have been fired sooner?

It is funny how people claim his "system" made this team overachieve when he started us off with the worst record this team had in 70 years. Wow some amazing skills you have there Martin.

Muller was obviously the stick that stirred the drink, real shame we lost him. I think that is truly Gauthiers biggest mistake, not firing Martin sooner and replacing him with Muller. Muller with Cunneyworth as assistant would be much better.
i think you are letting your hate of the man blind you...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:44 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i think you are letting your hate of the man blind you...
i think he has a good point- anyways you dont fire MArtin to hire the staff they have now!! just like you dont trade for kaberle to get worse

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
i think he has a good point- anyways you dont fire MArtin to hire the staff they have now!! just like you dont trade for kaberle to get worse
sorta.

saying that martin's system is relying on your goalie standing on your head is plain wrong. rong, wrong, rong. hence the "letting your hate blind you". pleky rocks explained what (a part of) his system was. you can say his system doesn't fit with the modern NHL, you can say it's boring and you could be right about all of them, but a system he DID have.

the thing with system coaches is that once the players start to doubt the system, it falls apart very, very quickly. like a broken cog in a watch. hello 2011-2012 season

Old
02-05-2012, 03:57 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
sorta.

saying that martin's system is relying on your goalie standing on your head is plain wrong. rong, wrong, rong. hence the "letting your hate blind you". pleky rocks explained what (a part of) his system was. you can say his system doesn't fit with the modern NHL, you can say it's boring and you could be right about all of them, but a system he DID have.

the thing with system coaches is that once the players start to doubt the system, it falls apart very, very quickly. like a broken cog in a watch. hello 2011-2012 season
yes but he had the wrong types of players to fit into the system- now that the supposed system has change- (im not sure i see that much change) habs are trying to get bigger and grittier- that should have been done with martin and his system- you dont have Chihuahuas pulling a dog sled and expect to win the race

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:06 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
yes but he had the wrong types of players to fit into the system- now that the supposed system has change- (im not sure i see that much change) habs are trying to get bigger and grittier- that should have been done with martin and his system- you dont have Chihuahuas pulling a dog sled and expect to win the race
sure

Old
02-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Kyosuke

Everything, but Cole and bringing in Emelin.

Kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:05 AM
hockeyfan2k11

No one seems to talk about his piss poor assembly of the 4th line.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:07 AM
RC51

Almost all of PG mistakes stem from his being a hockey man stuck in the 90's. He sure was on the staff that decided getting Gomez Cammy and Gionta ( all small ) drafting "best player available" in stead of " "best bigger player available" for the new NHL. Small just did not matter to PG and HE HAS BEEN PROVEN WRONG. With nothing in the cupboard coming up the Habs are really stuck and now it's a full rebuild instead of a few upgrades.
Then allowing JM to keep to Gomez instead of overriding JM and sending Gomez down. Gomez has not scored in a year. Anybody else would have score at least 10-15 goals and those goals would have given the Habs an extra 6-8 points for sure. Then Markov, well we all know about this. Then Kaberle, well we all know about this.
The habs current defense may have some talent but "it sure don't scare anybody" and it can't come to defense of teammates when that comes up. 4th liners can't either ( oh yeah, Habs don't need policemen remember)
Getting back to drafting, Real hockey men know, 1st " the goaler " then a great set (2) top pairing BIG D-men, then a full set of big, overpowering Centermen. Then it's " best player available ( not before). A great hockey team MUST have the ability to ice 6 of the top hockey players, each position counts, because when the game is on the line and you need to shut down or score a goal, it's your best 6 that will outwork and outplay the other guys top 6.
Now look at this years Habs and you decide if PG has worked to give the Habs this hockey.
He did it his way and stubbornly refused to listen to a ton of hockey people yelling at him to change his thinking. He has been proven WRONG and now he must GO. This has cost the habs and will continue to cost the habs for at least 2 years as a complete change of direction will now start. Welcome to the bottom of the league ( at least for a while"

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:40 AM
wedge

It's really hard to chose one.
I'll say it's hiring Cunneyworth. It's a sum of all parts. He showed how stupid he is or just unable to understand a single thing about Montreal. What happened with the hiring was 100% sure. You don't hire an anglophone coach who's a rookie. He was totally unprepared to what happened next.

On a hockey standpoint, it's clearly the defense. Not finding a stop-gap for Markov's absence like he did last year with Wisniewsky was a HUGE mistake.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Trading for Kaberle! 4 million on the cap for two more years when we they were finally done with Spacek's 3.8. Not only that but Spacek would be fetching Montreal a 3rd rounder at the deadline! Now Montreal will have to give up a second for someone to take on Kaberle!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
It's really hard to chose one.
I'll say it's hiring Cunneyworth. It's a sum of all parts. He showed how stupid he is or just unable to understand a single thing about Montreal. What happened with the hiring was 100% sure. You don't hire an anglophone coach who's a rookie. He was totally unprepared to what happened next.

On a hockey standpoint, it's clearly the defense. Not finding a stop-gap for Markov's absence like he did last year with Wisniewsky was a HUGE mistake.
I'm so tired of this BULL **** Anglophone crap!
Province of Quebec needs to get off it's high horse!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
coolasprICE

PG's biggest mistake was wasting G. Molsons money.

However he succeeded in putting a team on the ice that is going to finish near the bottom so they can get a nice pick.

job well done on that Mister Goat... though he could of done that in a much cheaper way.

I know if I was Molson I'd have dreams of strangling him.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Firing Martin and replacing him with Cunneyworth, easily.

That one was visibly silly the moment it was made, too. It wasn't even a gamble where you might see how it might work; there was no potential for upside. And it killed the season.
spot on. that's exactly how I see it as well. Gauthier even said that his goal by doing it was to get sort term success.

Building around markov and gorges comming back from long term injuries was pretty noob, too.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Captain Saku

His biggest mistake was not addressing the defensive corps adequately. Even with Markov our defense was really bad.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Captain Saku

I just thought about this.

If the firing of Martin was indeed not Gauthier's decision, could this mean Gauthier might say to Molson 'I told you so' and end up staying as habs GM?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Andy

Firing Martin.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
habsroom

Letting Kirk Muller walk away to be a head coach in the AHL, Why didn't they just give him the head coaching job in Hamilton???????

Not addressing the fourth line and team toughness having guys like Palushaj,Weber, Leblanc,Darche,Engqvist,Campoli and so on playing on the fourth line is just crazy. We needed toughness on the fourth line!!!!!!!!1

But the biggest mistake was trading Cammalleri before the trade deadline. He would have been the #1 target for alot of teams and we would have had a bidding war for him.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's probably about to make it....

Gauthier's biggest mistake was not building the D correctly. It's almost like he's been oblivious to what has transpired on D the past few years.

1. He was certainly oblivious to what Hamrlik brought to the team. He gave no consideration to what that all round, minute eating, shot blocking d-man brought to the team. I knew it the minute Gill was signed. For those saying Hamrlik is on the decline right now he's playing about 19 a night (mostly ES) on a defense that is believe it or not younger and less experienced than Montreal's.

2. The D needs a point shot. Gauthier even brought in Wiz and I'm sure must have witnessed the blasts by Bergeron, Souray, Streit and Schneider. Not saying he should have re-signed Wiz but the PP could use a PROVEN shot.

3. Firing Jacques Martin. There were many thinks quirky with Martin but there's no denying what he accompished with the boat load of injuries.

He's made other decisions I don't care for but number one in my book was not realizing what Hamrlik brought to the team. Especially for a GM that has been around the team for as long as Hamrlik was.

I wonder if Gauthier has any vision at all after the Bourque and Kaberle moves. All of the sudden he realized the need for size with the Bourque signing but is still clueless on the powerplay. It's almost, almost funny.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
phil76

By not steppind down as GM

phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:31 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
His biggest mistake was not addressing the defensive corps adequately. Even with Markov our defense was really bad.
Diaz & Emelin were good signings...drafting Tinordi & Beaulieu were good moves but they were long term youth moves..

Not resigning 27 year old Wiz as assurance to the Markov injury was a mistake...even if Markov was 100% healthy he would had an asset to trade for wholes on the team...big mistake..

Not getting a vet d to mentor PK & up and coming defensive prospects was also a mistake...even if he got Robinson as an assistant coach that would of improved our defensive situation.

Not addressing the Gomez problem another mistake.

Not getting a top flight center another mistake.

Firing Martin was a good move if the plan is to get a high draft pick (1-2)...If Martin was still on the team we would be a .500 team at best which would mean a draft position of 10-13..

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:33 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Diaz & Emelin were good signings...drafting Tinordi & Beaulieu were good moves but they were long term youth moves..

Not resigning 27 year old Wiz as assurance to the Markov injury was a mistake...even if Markov was 100% healthy he would had an asset to trade for wholes on the team...big mistake..

Not getting a vet d to mentor PK & up and coming defensive prospects was also a mistake...even if he got Robinson as an assistant coach that would of improved our defensive situation.

Not addressing the Gomez problem another mistake.

Not getting a top flight center another mistake.

Firing Martin was a good move if the plan is to get a high draft pick (1-2)...If Martin was still on the team we would be a .500 team at best which would mean a draft position of 10-13..
top flight centers don't grow on trees.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
mlandry

Not re-signing Wisnewski which lead to us trading for Kaberle (a similar contract and overall not as good IMO + older).

Firing Jacques Martin RIGHT BEFORE A LONG ROAD TRIP. Great ****ing job, Randy never had a chance and when they came back home the season was already ****ed.

Getting a player we have no need for in Rene Bourque (would have taken picks + prospects; at least we got 1 of each but yeah, not expecting this guy to last long here).

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Easily firing Martin.
In the short term, Martin might have kept us as a bubble team. The odds are that we would have gone no where again in the playoffs. So if you are happy with that outcome, firing Martin was a poor short term decision.

However, in the medium to long term it was a decision that had to be made. Other than a brief flash of success that many desperately cling to as a sign of his abilities, Martin has been a failure in Montreal. Cunneyworth may not be the answer but Martin was definitely not the answer.

Gauthier's biggest mistake was not going after a physical defenseman over the summer. It doesn't take a genius to see we have little size or toughness on the blueline. Instead he kept adding soft defensemen in a panic move to help the PP.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

The Cunneyworth fiasco screws us now, Kaberle screws us later. Now I'm anxiously waiting for Gauthier to finish it off by trade deadline, burn it to the ground, and pee on the ashes.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote