HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was Gauthier's biggest mistake this year?

Old
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
The Goalie Mask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
top flight centers don't grow on trees.
They don't grow on trees and we won't be able to trade for one.

Our only hope is this years drafts.

We need to finish last and add a second first round pick so that we can draft both Grigorenko & Yakupov..

Make it happen Gauthier or Molson!

Yes...I'm suggesting a russian movement!...after all they one of the most talented players with offensive flair!

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:12 AM
MrNasty

His biggest mistake was succumbing to the pressure by fans and media to do "something".

The team was actually playing well during the first month of the season. Most of the games they lost they had dominated. Since they were still "losses" he started to make dramatic panic moves (firing Pearn hours before a game). The panic moves did nothing but discourage the players and it snowballed with more dramatic moves. The team has spiralled into a horrible team who are scared to do anything.

Injuries didn't help either. The loss of Markov, Gionta and yes even Gomez really hurt this team. The only thing I am happy about is the Habs didn't trade any of their prospects/picks during the hysteria.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

his big Mistake started right after Flyers series(with Halak), and his persistence size doesn't matter.

Biggest mistake was not addressing it , finally seen the light a month or so when it was long past the train passing the station/

Standing too long beside JM, and hiring a 100 % green coaching staff to replace him.

Sinking 7.5 plus million into Markov/ Campoli..
Taking on 4.25 million to help PP(Kabber)

What could you expect?

Bottoms up./

Last edited by Habaneros: 02-05-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
habitue*

Gauthier made so many mistakes since the end of last season, it's not even funny.

He has done ONE good move: signing Cole

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
his big Mistake started right after Flyers series(with Halak), and his persistence size doesn't matter.

Biggest mistake was not addressing it , finally seen the light a month or so when it was long past the train passing the station/

Standing too long beside JM, and hiring a 100 % green coaching staff to replace him.

Sinking 7.5 plus million into Markov/ Campoli..
Taking on 4.25 million to help PP(Kabber)

What could you expect?

Bottoms up./
It will be interesting to see what kind of return Bernier and Schneider get. Varlamov got a top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder.

Still think the return for Halak was not enough.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Tiger Svoboda

Firing Jaques Martin was a big mistake. The team was overachieving with him as the coach.

Not replacing Hammer also created a big hole on D.

Tiger Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM

I think his biggest mistake has yet to come. I'm afraid he's gonna try to "save" this season and deal some picks for some players.

Other than that, I don't think he's as bad as people think. He didn't pull a McDonagh, 1st for Gomez like Gainey and he didn't sign overpaid midgets.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I think his biggest mistake has yet to come. I'm afraid he's gonna try to "save" this season and deal some picks for some players.

Other than that, I don't think he's as bad as people think. He didn't pull a McDonagh, 1st for Gomez like Gainey and he didn't sign overpaid midgets.
Actually when we was 2 pts out i was calling we was already out of playoffs then(wouldn't make it) , turned out right.

Thinking it over, having time to hash it over, I hope we tank next year too.

Take a top 2 pick this year, MG, and next year get
Nathan MacKinnon

Two years of pain, i can take, to end 20 years of spinning tires on ice...

So maybe we should hope Gauthier comes back one more year ,and hides and keeps us at the bottom , then steps down .

Old
02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
No one seems to talk about his piss poor assembly of the 4th line.
You mean the line that should have been

Moen - Nokelainen - White

If we were ever healthy as a team.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

In the unlikely event that this happens, the blame would rest squarely on the shoulders of Molson.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
You mean the line that should have been

Moen - Nokelainen - White

If we were ever healthy as a team.
You mean Enqvist because that's who was supposed to start the season on the 4th line. He went after Betts....then Nokes when he realized Enqvist was garbage. And that's not that great of a 4th line anyways. Basically another reactive move because our GM lacks any foresight.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

I was very afraid of that too, BUT were now 13 pts out, that takes away alot of my fear...not saying 100% but alot of it ..lol

My fear was being only 5 pts back and him going nutts to save, but the Tank looks to have taken effect....

So never cheer against your team, but if the tank shows up in most games from here on out, fine for me .

Old
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You mean Enqvist because that's who was supposed to start the season on the 4th line. He went after Betts....then Nokes when he realized Enqvist was garbage. And that's not that great of a 4th line anyways. Basically another reactive move because our GM lacks any foresight.
Nokes was here before the 10 game mark of the season.

Its fourth line centre... the GM is allowed to adjust on the fly when the rookies don't look good in camp. Fourth line centres always are available.

This is in no way the same as the situation on defence, where finding a top 4 D in October is near impossible.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I'm so tired of this BULL **** Anglophone crap!
Province of Quebec needs to get off it's high horse!
I agree with you. I'm francophone and I don't give a **** about who's coaching, as long as he's a good one. But you can't deny that's our reality. PG denied or forgot it and that's what happens.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I was very afraid of that too, BUT were now 13 pts out, that takes away alot of my fear...not saying 100% but alot of it ..lol

My fear was being only 5 pts back and him going nutts to save, but the Tank looks to have taken effect....

So never cheer against your team, but if the tank shows up in most games from here on out, fine for me .
I've never seen the Habs in such deep **** even during Houle's era.

All gauthier should be allowed to do is trade the potential UFA players for the best picks he could get for them. That's it.

Next GM will take care of the rest.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Habs

Anyone who thinks the departure of Hammer, had anything to do with this teams problems, knows nothing about hockey.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Kyosuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Almost all of PG mistakes stem from his being a hockey man stuck in the 90's. He sure was on the staff that decided getting Gomez Cammy and Gionta ( all small ) drafting "best player available" in stead of " "best bigger player available" for the new NHL. Small just did not matter to PG and HE HAS BEEN PROVEN WRONG. With nothing in the cupboard coming up the Habs are really stuck and now it's a full rebuild instead of a few upgrades.
Then allowing JM to keep to Gomez instead of overriding JM and sending Gomez down. Gomez has not scored in a year. Anybody else would have score at least 10-15 goals and those goals would have given the Habs an extra 6-8 points for sure. Then Markov, well we all know about this. Then Kaberle, well we all know about this.
The habs current defense may have some talent but "it sure don't scare anybody" and it can't come to defense of teammates when that comes up. 4th liners can't either ( oh yeah, Habs don't need policemen remember)
Getting back to drafting, Real hockey men know, 1st " the goaler " then a great set (2) top pairing BIG D-men, then a full set of big, overpowering Centermen. Then it's " best player available ( not before). A great hockey team MUST have the ability to ice 6 of the top hockey players, each position counts, because when the game is on the line and you need to shut down or score a goal, it's your best 6 that will outwork and outplay the other guys top 6.
Now look at this years Habs and you decide if PG has worked to give the Habs this hockey.
He did it his way and stubbornly refused to listen to a ton of hockey people yelling at him to change his thinking. He has been proven WRONG and now he must GO. This has cost the habs and will continue to cost the habs for at least 2 years as a complete change of direction will now start. Welcome to the bottom of the league ( at least for a while"
Looking back at what I highlighted in your post...
First off, Cammy/Gionta/Gomez were horrible pick ups (I don't care what anyone would argue for this), but please don't lump that decision with drafting.

Secondly, we aren't that small anymore especially if you look to our future with Gionta and Gomez being gone in the coming years.

Third, being big around the middle is good for a team but if you look at the NHL today the top centermen are smallish 5'11 to 6'00 @180-200pds with tons of talent (Crosby, Giroux, Datsyuk) or big 6'03+ @200+pds (Malkin, Sedin, Stamkos) and in the next few years the top end talents are mostly 5'09 - 6'00. If you think drafting for size over "best available", I'm sorry but its going to be a while before we draft a Malkin/Sedin/Stamkos those just don't come often.

Lastly, I agree with you that PG must go.. he single-handedly made us the laughing stock of the NHL and his trades and transactions seem to stem more off peer-pressure rather than building towards a future plan after seeing his "smurf trio long-term plan failing". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ended up trading our 1st round pick for some underachieving top 6 forward and that simply makes me cringe at the end of my seat. I'd also want to blow up the whole coaching staff and find a better system, because in all honesty right now ours is just not working. Look at the Bruins/Philly/Detroit you can see that the players are buying in to their system and it creates for them a strong identity. As it stand we don't have an identity aside from having one of the best PKs, the worst PP in the league and nothing standing out in the scoring department. Before PG was at the helm of the organization, we were known to be one of the most dangerous teams on the PP donning one of top 3 spots in that department...

Kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
sampollock

getting out of bed,

he has done zip to help this club,

every move makes it worse, and costs big coin

getting rid of cammy, is a bit of relief, but PG and Gainey should really stand up and say it was them that made this flippin mess

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Mike8

Toss-up between the Martin firing and the Kaberle acquisition. Leaning toward the former, but both are crippling moves.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

After yesterday, I want to say Kaberle, but I keep telling myself he'll be useful for some of his contract.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

His biggest mistake will be trading our 1st for Jeff Carter.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Nokes was here before the 10 game mark of the season.

Its fourth line centre... the GM is allowed to adjust on the fly when the rookies don't look good in camp. Fourth line centres always are available.

This is in no way the same as the situation on defence, where finding a top 4 D in October is near impossible.
How many GM's decide to look for a 4th line center 10 games into the season? Gauthier "adjust on the fly" moves is why we're where we are. Only in Montreal are 4th line centers replaced this frequently.

Also, are you seriously defending Gauthier on the defense fiasco? There's really no need to continue this discussion with you since I know where you stand.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Lots of focus on what he did that was a mistake. Still think one of his biggest was a did not do: seriously pursue Jagr in the off season to play with Plekanec. How different our perceptions of Plekanec (and his season to date) might be right now if Jagr had been on his line instead of Cammalleri. The door was completely open for the possibility, and PG just had to step through.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Lots of focus on what he did that was a mistake. Still think one of his biggest was a did not do: seriously pursue Jagr in the off season to play with Plekanec. How different our perceptions of Plekanec (and his season to date) might be right now if Jagr had been on his line instead of Cammalleri. The door was completely open for the possibility, and PG just had to step through.
If he did land Jagr....no Cole....

But if he didn't resign Markov and sent Gomez to the minors maybe we'd have Cole, Jagr and Wiz/Erhoff.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
How many GM's decide to look for a 4th line center 10 games into the season? Gauthier "adjust on the fly" moves is why we're where we are. Only in Montreal are 4th line centers replaced this frequently.

Also, are you seriously defending Gauthier on the defense fiasco? There's really no need to continue this discussion with you since I know where you stand.
No, I'm not defending Gauthier on the defence fiasco at all.

I said the biggest mistake was not replacing Hamrlik.

It was much harder to replace Hamrlik in October, than it was to acquire a fourth line centre in October.

Just compare Campoli's ability to be a top 4 Dman, with Noke's ability to be a 4th line centre, and its pretty obvious what was the "biggest mistake" of those two.

I'm solidly in the fire Gauthier camp. I think he should be gone. However I'll defend some individual moves because not even Reggie Houle or Mike Milbury was 100% wrong, 100% of the time.