HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Monarchs Updates

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2004, 10:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
not really sure how to judge him since he really didnt get alot of PT. spent allot of time on the 4th line. Hopefully he takes the demotion well and plays well in Bakersfield.
I want to see what this kid can do with some more PT at the AHL level eventually.

Old
12-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Monarchs 2 - Pirates 1

Union Leader Recap
Monarchs website Recap

KB, you have to explain me what the hell Yanick did on the tying goal...

Old
12-27-2004, 07:13 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Monarchs 2 - Pirates 1

Union Leader Recap
Monarchs website Recap

it was the sweetest goal i've seen in a long time.

Yanick came skating down the right wing, right at Ouelet. He faked the shot, with Ouelet sliding out to his left. He skated around & behind Ouelet, sliding the puck into the crease. One handed, from nearly behind the net, he pokes the puck into the net. OMG - what a play!!

If he learned how to check & wasn't apparently afraid to get hit, he'd be the real deal.

Old
12-27-2004, 07:33 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Monarchs 2 - Pirates 1

Union Leader Recap
Monarchs website Recap

From where I was sitting, Lehoux came down the right wing side and wound up to take the shot (faked it?) but Ouellet was right there. There seemed to be a defenseman in the area, too. Either a D-man or some other traffic. Lehoux stayed with the puck, and looked as if he was going to skate around the back of the net and try for the other side. Ouellet slid to his right side of the net and out of nowhere Lehoux sweeps the puck in from the left. He was beginning his move behind the net but poked the puck in behind Ouellet from the right wing side.

It was a pretty unfriggin' believable shot. He has developed some incredible puck control and patience. Just when you think the time to execute a shot has passed, Lehoux gets one off and more often than not it goes in.

The lines are finally back to normal. Smyth has recovered from pneumonia and rejoined Cammy and Brown on the first line. Clarke is back with TK and Lehoux on the second. Gleason was back, too. I think the Monarchs universe righting itself may have been the cause of that tsunami in southern Asia yesterday.

Old
12-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Albi

Thanx a lot Reggie & HN!
I wish I would have seen it...

Old
12-27-2004, 08:24 AM
King Blazer

About the only thing to add to the description of the Lehoux goal is that he finished it on his backhand, with one hand, his left, from the back corner of the goal...

Old
12-27-2004, 11:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

that was a very pretty goal by Lehoux, he has an awesome set of hands. i will say thou that other then the Lehoux goal it was a pretty boring game, not a allot of flow and the refs were letting the players basically hold all night long. the only really exciting part were the saves that Garon came up with in the 3rd. he made i woulds say 2 or 3 really good saves in the 3rd including a big pad save with about 6 or 7 left(wish i could remember who shot it). Made up for the dreadfullly soft goal he gave up for in the 1st.

Old
12-27-2004, 11:38 AM
KINGLEWOOD

Speaking of Garon, I read a while back that he's now sporting his new Kings themed helmet. Have any of you guys seen it, If so what do you think?

I've been looking for pictures of it but havn't seen any yet. Thanks!

Old
12-27-2004, 12:08 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEWOOD
Speaking of Garon, I read a while back that he's now sporting his new Kings themed helmet. Have any of you guys seen it, If so what do you think?

I've been looking for pictures of it but havn't seen any yet. Thanks!
A member of the Monarchs AHL discussion board photographed it. Here is a small version of the photo.

You may have to join the group to see it, but it's a simple Yahoo group.

The theme is chess, and the LA Kings' crown is across the chin. There are a rook and a knight near his ears, and along the top left and right sides of his head is a knight drawing a sword.

Old
12-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Nethunder

That was a sweet goal by lehoux. The dustin brown goal was nice as well but the best play of the game is the open net block that Dustin brown had after the save Mattie in the second to keep the game one-one

Old
12-27-2004, 08:55 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
A member of the Monarchs AHL discussion board photographed it. Here is a small version of the photo.

You may have to join the group to see it, but it's a simple Yahoo group.

The theme is chess, and the LA Kings' crown is across the chin. There are a rook and a knight near his ears, and along the top left and right sides of his head is a knight drawing a sword.
Very cool! I've been wondering about that.. nice to see the Kings logo on his mask.

Here it is if you don't want to sign up with Yahoo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garon1.jpg‎ (35.9 KB, 39 views)

Old
12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
KingsFan7824

Anyone else having problems connecting to the Monarchs webcast, or is it just me?

Old
12-28-2004, 07:09 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
Anyone else having problems connecting to the Monarchs webcast, or is it just me?
I'm listening to it through the Utah feed. I had the same problems.

Old
12-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Anyone got a recap on the scraps from the game?

Old
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
Very cool! I've been wondering about that.. nice to see the Kings logo on his mask.

Here it is if you don't want to sign up with Yahoo
Thanks for the pic

Old
12-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Anyone got a recap on the scraps from the game?
While we wait for a detailed report from our Manchester guys...

From today's Union Leader

..."If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up? Well, that didn't work either for Utah. Leading 5-0, Petr Kanko gamely held his own in a fight despite giving up four inches and 25 pounds to Grizzlies captain Rick Berry, the 6-foot-2, 213-pounder who played 65 games with the Washington Capitals last season. Then Parros landed a hard right, opening a gash above the eye of Matthew Spiller in a fisticuff that followed."...

link

Old
12-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Word

Quote:
While we wait for a detailed report from our Manchester guys...

From today's Union Leader

..."If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up? Well, that didn't work either for Utah. Leading 5-0, Petr Kanko gamely held his own in a fight despite giving up four inches and 25 pounds to Grizzlies captain Rick Berry, the 6-foot-2, 213-pounder who played 65 games with the Washington Capitals last season. Then Parros landed a hard right, opening a gash above the eye of Matthew Spiller in a fisticuff that followed."...

link
I didnt hear the game but I will say this Kanko is nuts

Old
12-29-2004, 03:07 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Kanko is tough, that's for sure.

See, what did I tell you about Gleason? The offense will come.

....And once again Lenuve get's owned by the Monarchs.

12-29-2004, 06:47 AM
ReggieMoto

These were taken from LGK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Utah did a great job of blocking shots and trapping early in the game, then it all fell apart for them and well, they really just aren't very good.

Biggest pain in the butt line for the Monarchs tonight was Ryan centering Giuliano and Kanko. They were just mad men out there. Flying and buzzing.

Best "fight" has to go to Kanko for his bout with Berry. Berry was really laying some wood on Giuliano which Kanko took exception to. He jawed at Berry for a couple of seconds, they dropped the gloves, danced for a bit and then Berry tried landing some bombs and Kanko just kept ducking, bobbing and weaving and laughing at Berry. Berry never connected and Kanko finally just grabbed him and pulled him down.

Hauser made maybe two good saves and the rest were pretty much routine.
I had a little different take on the Kanko scrap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
This is too funny. I saw it almost the complete opposite!

When Kanko put his hands up like he was going to box Berry, I thought it looked kind of funny. I thought Berry landed the first one, then I saw some clutching and grabbing, with Berry bopping Kanko on the chin with the hand clutching Kanko's jersey, then Kanko land one, then Berry I thought landed another one.

They way it ended was just too funny. Berry and Kanko started swinging around in a circle, then Berry lifted Kanko off his skates while they were still spinning around, and they both went down. The end.

I thought Joe jumping in on Taffe when Taffe gave Brown the big crosscheck was the fight of the night. Joe hit Taffe square in the face, and Taffe went down. When he got up, there was a B-I-G puddle of blood on the ice. They came and got the doc a few minutes later. I don't remember seeing Taffe return to the game.
There was the Parros scrap at the end, where he cleaned Spiller's clock. At first I thought Parros checked Spiller into the boards, but I have since been informed it was the other way around. Spiller checked Parros hard into the boards in the Monarchs' offensive zone, but Spiller took the worst of it, falling to the ice after the check and Parros started to skate away. Spiller came back at him and Parros gave him a big punch to the face. After it was all over, Spiller skated to the locker room with a big blood splatter on his face from over his left eye. I don't know whether he got that from Parros or from the dasher or the glass.

Old
12-29-2004, 08:28 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Kanko is tough, that's for sure.

See, what did I tell you about Gleason? The offense will come.

....And once again Lenuve get's owned by the Monarchs.

From the Union Leader article:

Gleason stole a page from Monarchs scorer Mike Cammalleri when he slid on one knee to one-time Petr Kanko's center at 12:01.

This was a real sweet goal. In the previous period, the Monarchs sent two passes across the middle to d-men coming in off their points, one to Grebs and another to Holland. To get the passes through, they had to be sent about knee high. Grebs and Holland both missed on their one-timers, but honestly, these were friggin lazers that I don't think many guys would get. So, when Gleason came in from the right point, he dropped to one knee so if the puck was sent knee high, he'd be able to chest it down. Kanko was able to get the puck to Gleason on the ice and he nailed it.

After Smyth's PP goal about 4-mins later, Utah's frustration started to get the best of them. After Smyth scored, he was gliding toward the right corner with his hands raised and a Utah player, I think it was Callahan, layed a cross check across Smyth's shoulders and layed him out, way late, real cheap, no call. About a minute later, Brown was skating with the puck through the neutral zone and was spun around by Virtue with a hook up in the chest area. Monarchs retained possession for a few seconds then Utah finally touched up and the whistle blew. A few seconds after the play had been whistled dead, Taffe cross checked Brown who was standing alone, in the middle of his back and layed him out. Rullier just dropped the gloves and started pounding on Taffe. Rullier was definately the "instigator" in that he never gave Taffe a chance to get his fists up. But, Taffe did get his gloves off and fired a couple of shots at Rullier while the linesman was holding him. Then, after Taffe had been tied-up by the other linesman, he broke loose and went at Rullier again and had to be grabbed for a second time. IMO Taffe should have received 5-mins for that.

The ref really started losing control of the game in the play that put the Monarchs on the PP that Smyth scored his goal. Kanko and Westrum were going at it. Both players had dropped the gloves and were swinging away when Cox jumped Kanko from behind and all three players went down in a heap and then the linesmen dove in to break everything up. How Cox didn't get a third man in is still a mystery to me.

Milam (I'm not a big fan of his), had an "assist" on the Parros goal even though they can't officially give him one. As Parros came down the right side with the puck, Milam charged with him down the left slot making a lot of noise such that LeNeveu had to play it as a 2 on none which kept him from being able to square-up to Parros and George beat LeNeveu to his left.

The line of Ryan centering Giuliano and Kanko gave Utah fits all night. The speed and grit of those three together is just amazing. I hope Boudreau keeps them together for a bit, they created some opportunities for themselves but just couldn't find the handle. I think they earned a little more time together with their play last night.

All in all, a good showing by every one of the Monarchs players.

Last edited by King Blazer: 12-29-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

things are starting to click again. Granted it was Utah one of the worst teams in the league but they needed this game because the offense hadnt been clicking much lately. I couldnt go to last nights game. damn work. i was wondering how Cammy played last night? i went to the portland game the first game he played with that full face shield and im not sure if hes entirely comfortable with it yet.
i really like the idea of that Ryan centering Giuliano and Kanko line. Kanko thou wow that guy has one mean temper. Willing to stick up for his teammates,Parros busting up Matthew Spiller as well last night. awesome.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 12-30-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
King Blazer

I missed you at the game last night CMGDC but I got a few good jabs into Smith (ref) for you...

Yea, the Ryan, Kanko, Giuliano line is so quick it's almost unfair...

Cammy switched to a "cage" for last night's game and still looked to be a little "off"...

Old
12-29-2004, 12:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
I missed you at the game last night CMGDC but I got a few good jabs into Smith (ref) for you...

Yea, the Ryan, Kanko, Giuliano line is so quick it's almost unfair...

Cammy switched to a "cage" for last night's game and still looked to be a little "off"...
lol. nice. thanks KB
there allways seems to be one or 2 refs who are very popular at the V
ill be there for the New Years eve game and possibily for the New Years day game. still deciding on if i want to drive home and play dodge a cop back home, not that im gonna drink and drive just dont feel like dealing with the random checks.

Old
12-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Matt13

Rick Berry is much larger than Kanko. Im really excited for the day that Kanko is playing with Avery. That will be one of the angriest lines in NHL history.

Taffe, played with Toledo last year. He is one tough SOB. He isnt very big but damn can he fight. I watched his fights at the rookie tourney and this guy can throw them as well as take them. Im glad to see Rullier taking care of business and not allowing Taffe to get away with a cheapshot.

Old
12-29-2004, 11:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I got a question

who was that team that took the ice last night in Lowell? 48 shots allowed? i realize they played the night before and Lowell didnt but good grief. what the hell was that? was someone looking ahead to that nice cushy homestand we have coming up?

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 12-30-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Closed Thread