HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monarchs Updates

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Monarchs beat Springfield 3-0
Hartford loses to Providence in a fight filled game.
Manchester leads Hartford by 6 points with 2 games in hand now.

Old
02-05-2005, 04:26 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Monarchs beat Springfield 3-0
Hartford loses to Providence in a fight filled game.
Manchester leads Hartford by 6 points with 2 games in hand now.
I'd like to add

Lowell - 3-0 loss...YEAH!
Bighampton - 3-0 loss (Spezza scoreless while Cammy had 2 pts)

Sweet night!

Old
02-05-2005, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I just dont get it. Portland and Worcester can beat Lowell but we cant. ahh well, good to pick up ground on Hartford anyway.

Old
02-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Albi

The Pirates can also beat us...3-2 shootout loss last night, at leas we got a point.
Connor James finally broke the ice with a 2 goal effort, maybe now Bruce will try him on one of the 2 top lines.

Old
02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
The Pirates can also beat us...3-2 shootout loss last night, at leas we got a point.
Connor James finally broke the ice with a 2 goal effort, maybe now Bruce will try him on one of the 2 top lines.
Right now, I don't know what the "second" line is and I'm not sure Boudreau does either....

Old
02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

i cant believe i am saying this but
Thanks Lowell. 7 point lead with 2 games in hand
I will now go take a real hot shower to cleanse myself for rooting for Lowell today

Old
02-08-2005, 05:38 AM
Albi

AHL Kings prospects update

link

Maker says that if Matt Ryan keeps progressing, he'll have a good shot at making the NHL. He's not scoring that much lately, but he's a 3rd liner after all. I'd like to hear what our Monarchs gang thinks about him...

Thanx in advance KB, CMGDC & Co.

Old
02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
link

Maker says that if Matt Ryan keeps progressing, he'll have a good shot at making the NHL. He's not scoring that much lately, but he's a 3rd liner after all. I'd like to hear what our Monarchs gang thinks about him...

Matt'll be fine. He's young & is learning what he needs to learn at this level.

I read the rest of the article, and want to post my opinions on a couple of the players.

Quote:
David Steckel – The former first round pick (30th overall, 2001) has proven to be a disappointment in pro hockey thus far.
Steckel has improved significantly since training camp. Pretty much everyone knew that he was a project coming into the AHL. He looks like he's put on a little weight, looks like he's gotten stronger, and he's starting to use his size pretty well. He hasn't been playing on a top line, but he's been getting his share of playing time. Given enough time to develop, he shouldn't be a disappointment.

Quote:
Denis Grebeshkov – The 21-year-old Russian, taken 18th overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, is the “jewel” of the Kings system. In 47 games this year, he leads all Monarchs defensemen with 31 points including 27 assists. <snip> The 6’1 195-pounder should be a serious contender for a position on an aging Kings defense when NHL operations resume.
I gotta tell ya, it's not always about point production. This kid needs to be much more careful in protecting the puck. I can't tell you the number of times he's lost the puck directly in front of Hauser or Garon, or made stupid blind passes to the other teams' forwards. He's clearly got a lot of work to do, and a lot to learn, to be even a 5-6 d-man in the NHL. Some Manchester fans are even questioning how he got to be on the All-Star team over Joe Rullier, who has better defensive numbers, but fewer points.

Old
02-08-2005, 02:18 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
link

Ryan is really just settling into the AHL. Like many rookie forwards, he was going at 100-mph all over the place, rushing things and when you're on a line with Kanko that makes two guys all over the ice just throwing their bodies at everything that moves...

He's "slowed it down" a notch and is being asked to contribute more in the scoring.

He was the first shooter in the shootout against Portland on Sunday and scored.

He started the season as the third line center but with the injury to Lehoux he's pretty much the second line center these days, I think. I'm pretty sure the Clarke-Cammalleri-Brown line is the first line, but it gets confusing from there. He's gone through a lot of different linemates so far this year and my guess is that will continue as players come into and out of the lineup. It will be real interesting to see if he's paired with TK and Noah when TK and Smyth return to the lineup....

There is little doubt in my mind that Ryan will play in the NHL. IMO, he could probably survive in an NHL, 4th line role, soon. I want to see what he can do with more experienced wings skating with him. If my gut is right, Ryan will appear on the scoring sheet
on a more consistant basis...He's had some wings miss some pretty sweet set-ups on several occasions this season...

His biggest draw-back right now is size. He's right around 6-ft but on the light side of 185-lbs...

Old
02-08-2005, 02:36 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz
Steckel has improved significantly since training camp. Pretty much everyone knew that he was a project coming into the AHL. He looks like he's put on a little weight, looks like he's gotten stronger, and he's starting to use his size pretty well. He hasn't been playing on a top line, but he's been getting his share of playing time. Given enough time to develop, he shouldn't be a disappointment.
I can still say that there isn't one shift that I've watched him play that I've questioned his heart or effort. I'd still like to see him be more physical but we're watching 6'5" "baby steps"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz
I gotta tell ya, it's not always about point production. This kid needs to be much more careful in protecting the puck. I can't tell you the number of times he's lost the puck directly in front of Hauser or Garon, or made stupid blind passes to the other teams' forwards. He's clearly got a lot of work to do, and a lot to learn, to be even a 5-6 d-man in the NHL. Some Manchester fans are even questioning how he got to be on the All-Star team over Joe Rullier, who has better defensive numbers, but fewer points.
He just scares me right now. He's way to inconsistent from shift to shift let alone night to night. Grebs has got all the tools I just don't know if he's got the head right now. He'll come out on a shift and put on an incredible display of skating and passing. Next shift, turn it over in his own end...

Does anyone know if Greg Maker (Author of the article) has been to a fair amount of Monarchs games this season?

Last edited by King Blazer: 02-08-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old
02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

There is no way Grebs should be handling the puck more then he should, and there is no way he should be on the point on the PP. his puck handling skills are terrible. He scares me as well every time he handles it. Until he shows Andy Murray he can handle the puck and play well enough at both ends of the ice he is staying in Manchester. Ill agree with KB on this one, the kid has the tools to be a pretty good NHL defenseman. He just needs to get over that mental hump.

With Steckel once he learns how to use his size, especially at this level he is going to be very hard to deal with and again i agree with KB on this, i love the kids heart and effort. I will never knock the kids effort when he steps on to the ice. When he "figures it out" look out.

Old
02-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Capn Brown

With Steckel once he learns how to use his size, especially at this level he is going to be very hard to deal with and again i agree with KB on this, i love the kids heart and effort. I will never knock the kids effort when he steps on to the ice. When he "figures it out" look out.

That's very encouraging as, going back to the prospect camp, the biggest knock on him (besides his skating of course) was his lack of heart. I remember folks saying that Steckel looked like he just wasn't trying out there. So the question now becomes, which is better: 1) signing Steckel before June, or 2) a 2nd round comp pick this draft (assuming there *is* a draft!)?

Old
02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Does anyone know if Greg Maker (Author of the article) has been to a fair amount of Monarchs games this season?
I wrote him and asked. He has not seen the Monarchs play. He says he lives in the Milwaukee area and hopes to make it to see them play, but it hasn't happened yet. He based his Steckel comments on his stats, and his Grebs comments on stats and highly favorable commentary from hockey analysts.

He believes Steckel was demoted to the ECHL, and as a first round draft pick should be producing more than he is. I'm going to respond to him, hopefully this evening, but I wanted to share his response with you all first.

Old
02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

suppose ther is no draft this year. that means the crop for 2006 is an accumulation of two years talent. if we can get a free 2nd round talent out of that, how can we go wrong? is steckel's upside really even put into cnosideration for htat? i mean seriously, think about it, we got garon by moving down the 3rd round, is steckel worth ANYWHERE NEAR THAT?!?!?! if we got a 5th rouder for steckel in a draft that may potentially span 2 years, we woulda made out like bandits.

Old
02-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
suppose ther is no draft this year. that means the crop for 2006 is an accumulation of two years talent. if we can get a free 2nd round talent out of that, how can we go wrong? is steckel's upside really even put into cnosideration for htat? i mean seriously, think about it, we got garon by moving down the 3rd round, is steckel worth ANYWHERE NEAR THAT?!?!?! if we got a 5th rouder for steckel in a draft that may potentially span 2 years, we woulda made out like bandits.
Who says we would get a 2nd round pick? That was a part of the CBA, which doesn't exist anymore.

Who knows what the next CBA will contain? Who knows if we'll get any compensation?
At this particular point in time, the only thing to do is hang on to him, let him develop, and hope it turns out for the best. Any other decision will have to be based on the rules adopted in a new CBA.

Old
02-10-2005, 08:14 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Under the old CBA, in order for the Kings to get a compensation pick for Steckel, they have to make him a "bonifide offer" which means minimum NHL Salary and years on an entry level contract. Then, Steckel has to refuse their offer. I've spoken with Steckel's father on several occasions. Based on my conversations with him, I think there is about ZERO chance that Steckel would refuse the NHL deal. Steckel knows what the score is and is just happy to be playing in the organization.

There will be no compensation pick here. I spoke with Taylor a few weeks ago and he's please with Steckel's development. I spoke with Gilmore last night, he's pleased with Steckel's development. I spoke with Boudreau a few weeks ago, he's pleased with Steckel's development. Is he going to play in the NHL tomorrow? NO. Is he going to play in the NHL next season? NO Will he ever play in the NHL? Stay tuned...

Old
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Yeah who knows, we might not get **** if we don't sign him. I guess the lockout came at a perfect time for Steckel. He gets time to mature and show the organization that he has the skills to be signed.

Old
02-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Fat Elvis

I'm really glad to hear all the positive talk about Steckel. The last couple years there haven't been too many kind words said towards his play. Hope he works out for us, a 6'5 center who plays his butt off and has some skills is hard to come accross. The player I'm concerned with is my buddy Karlsson, this kid needs to start showing signs of life. He needs to come over and get some playing time in quantity asap. Dude may just waist away.

Old
02-10-2005, 11:57 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Under the old CBA, in order for the Kings to get a compensation pick for Steckel, they have to make him a "bonifide offer" which means minimum NHL Salary and years on an entry level contract. Then, Steckel has to refuse their offer. I've spoken with Steckel's father on several occasions. Based on my conversations with him, I think there is about ZERO chance that Steckel would refuse the NHL deal. Steckel knows what the score is and is just happy to be playing in the organization.

There will be no compensation pick here. I spoke with Taylor a few weeks ago and he's please with Steckel's development. I spoke with Gilmore last night, he's pleased with Steckel's development. I spoke with Boudreau a few weeks ago, he's pleased with Steckel's development. Is he going to play in the NHL tomorrow? NO. Is he going to play in the NHL next season? NO Will he ever play in the NHL? Stay tuned...
althouigh this is still rules from the old CBA, forgive me if i happened to have missed it, but i dont remember the 2nd round compensation being one of the sticklers in the negotiations.

anwyays, ur right and i figured as much. if there is any offer, i think steckel will take it, which pretty much nulls out our chances. but oh well, waht can you do, at least we ought to try and low ball this bust and hope we can get a draft pick.

Old
02-11-2005, 08:17 PM
McSorley 33

Hey guys, is it possible that some one could post the stats of each game and a brief discription. I can't see it just hear it but for the times I miss, it would be nice to come on here and get a recap. thanks Marty

Old
02-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Word

I have tried to listen to the last couple of games for the Monarchs but their website link doesnt work. :[ Is it just me?

Old
02-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Word

Quote:
althouigh this is still rules from the old CBA, forgive me if i happened to have missed it, but i dont remember the 2nd round compensation being one of the sticklers in the negotiations.

anwyays, ur right and i figured as much. if there is any offer, i think steckel will take it, which pretty much nulls out our chances. but oh well, waht can you do, at least we ought to try and low ball this bust and hope we can get a draft pick.
Granted the CBA will set the rules for compensation picks among other things but as I recall some of the old rules will remain in affect until the contract or the players status is determined. For example a draft pick is signed or returned to the draft. All this moot until the new CBA is signed.

Old
02-11-2005, 09:48 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
I have tried to listen to the last couple of games for the Monarchs but their website link doesnt work. :[ Is it just me?
Funny you said that because it has worked for me for a while now and then it just stopped. I guest I'm not alone.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
Hey guys, is it possible that some one could post the stats of each game and a brief discription. I can't see it just hear it but for the times I miss, it would be nice to come on here and get a recap. thanks Marty
Try monarchshockey.com

Old
02-11-2005, 11:21 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Try monarchshockey.com
No I do, thats the only website I use. It just wasn't worked in a week. I have even turned my computer on and off again. whatever, I'll find a way. O yeah, by the way, Love that TL . 101 picture. He's a big Kings fan as I'm sure you know

Closed Thread