HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hating Alfie

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
...well scoreboard says Alfie did a better job than Sundin ever did and always with less payroll, but don't let facts gets in your way

Old
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
...well scoreboard says Alfie did a better job than Sundin ever did and always with less payroll, but don't let facts gets in your way
Define: "better job"

Old
02-05-2012, 11:50 PM
AINEC
Mandela for MVP

Quote:
Similar to how Tom Brady did a 'better job' than Manning tonight?

Last edited by AINEC: 02-06-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old
02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Define: "better job"
Well, other than that pivotal 1st round playoff goal, I can't recall seeing Mats Sundin lead his Leaf team to a Stanley Cup for the first time since 1967. I remember Gary Roberts, Steve Thomas trying pretty damn hard on top of epic goaltending from Cujo and Belfour. That damn Berezin gave me hives. Sundin wasn't as much of a factor and certainly did not get to a Final. That is how I define "better job". To each their own I guess.

Alfie boarded Tucker and scored a goal. Wanna be mad? Be mad at the ref who missed the call, the same way that they missed the call when Tucker took out Peca's knee and Roberts boarded Jonsson. Players want to win and if pushing Tucker in the shoulder causes him to lose his footing and slide into the boards, well, the refs have to be held accountable, no different from when the refs blew a call against the Leafs in Pitt, right? Or the Gretzky high stick. It was inadvertent but should have been called, so do you hate Gretzky more than Fraser?

Does anyone actually remember which ref missed the Alfie-Tucker hit? I don't.

There is nothing I can say that will change anyone's mind here. I just think that the hating is irrational.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:05 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Similar to how Tom Brady did a 'better job' than Manning tonight?

No. Similar to how Brady and Manning did a better job to actually get to the big game.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:13 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post

^Here's a more in depth look at the hit as well as Quinns reaction lol
hahaha.

Fast forward to 5:37 and check the ticker at the bottom.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:18 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
hahaha.

Fast forward to 5:37 and check the ticker at the bottom.
good catch.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:41 AM
2Cowen

"Classy" is such an overused term on HF. You guys hate Alfie because of his "classlessness" but you praise and love the like's of someone like Tucker who is filled with a ton of "class"

Uses his stick to try to hit Avery in a pre game skate.
Using his helmet in a fight vs Janssen
Taking out Peca's knees
Telling Heatley to watch his knees in the penalty box.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:46 AM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
"Classy" is such an overused term on HF. You guys hate Alfie because of his "classlessness" but you praise and love the like's of someone like Tucker who is filled with a ton of "class"

Taking out Peca's knees

So your telling me a fanbase loves their own players, but hates their rivals? Shocker.

Also, Alfie is the face of your franchise, Tucker was never the face of the Leafs. If the face of your franchise is a POS, do you think we're going to respect you guys?

Old
02-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post

Taking out Peca's knees

Im sorry are you comparing the face of your franchise with tucker? Also when the hell did we call tucker a classy player, the guy loves to knock people out in old hockey, you wanna talk about "classless" then look at freaking chris neil for crying out loud.

You basically just made the comparison of a guy like Mats Sundin of your franchise with Matt Cooke.

02-06-2012, 04:03 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Well, other than that pivotal 1st round playoff goal, I can't recall seeing Mats Sundin lead his Leaf team to a Stanley Cup for the first time since 1967. I remember Gary Roberts, Steve Thomas trying pretty damn hard on top of epic goaltending from Cujo and Belfour. That damn Berezin gave me hives. Sundin wasn't as much of a factor and certainly did not get to a Final. That is how I define "better job". To each their own I guess.

Alfie boarded Tucker and scored a goal. Wanna be mad? Be mad at the ref who missed the call, the same way that they missed the call when Tucker took out Peca's knee and Roberts boarded Jonsson. Players want to win and if pushing Tucker in the shoulder causes him to lose his footing and slide into the boards, well, the refs have to be held accountable, no different from when the refs blew a call against the Leafs in Pitt, right? Or the Gretzky high stick. It was inadvertent but should have been called, so do you hate Gretzky more than Fraser?

Does anyone actually remember which ref missed the Alfie-Tucker hit? I don't.

There is nothing I can say that will change anyone's mind here. I just think that the hating is irrational.
Sundin head-to-head against Alfie was a much bigger factor and better player in all the Sens-Leafs series (unfortunately he was injured for 2002). Remember 2004? He was pretty damn good in that series too. And the Sens had a stacked team when they made it to the finals, for ****s sakes Alfie had prime Heatley and an offensively dynamic Spezza on his line. Save for the one year where Mogilny scored 80 pts with Sundin, Sundin pretty much never had good linemates who were of similar calibre. Aside from that one year, Mogilny was injured quite often in his tenure here, same with Roberts. And at the end of the day, it matters if you win. Neither Sundin nor Alfie accomplished that, so it really means nothing if they made it to the finals or not. It's like Canuck fans gloating about making the finals 3 times in 30 years or whatever, when the franchise has no Cups in their history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
I'm probably part of the handful that actually likes Alfredsson, and the booing is stupid now, but funny at the same time. I am sure he gets a kick out of it as well.

Recently I have a real dislike for Foligno though.
Yeah I've grown indifferent with Alfredsson. Since the rivalry died down so much in the recent years I almost lost my hate for Ottawa. However, over the last year it's really come back, especially this year now that both teams are competitive and the Sens are full of d-bags.

I really agree on Foligno though, the guy is a big d-bag and he looks like an annoying rat. Everything about him annoys me.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

okay. i just realized this is from ottawa sun..im from ottawa and god thats an awful newspaper, and this is just going to the same direction that the other threads.

closed.

Closed Thread