HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA: Florida's Kolnik would consider crossing over

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2004, 09:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
CBA: Florida's Kolnik would consider crossing over

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...62&hubName=nhl

not exactly Preds related, but pretty interesting. Haydar made some comments that sounded like he was on the fence, but would think long and hard about joining the league as a replacement player. It seems like little cracks are forming down low in the foundation of the union, though I think we're a long way off.

Old
10-18-2004, 09:26 PM
handtrick

"``Play hockey is what I've done all my life. Why am I going to pay for something that's not my fault?

``Let the guys who want to play, play.''

Kolnik added in the article that ``all the young guys'' would follow his lead.

``This is really hard for the young guys,'' Kolnik told the newspaper. ``They don't care how much they're going to make. They just want to play. The guys making $10 million want to make even more. That's a little crazy. Why do the young players have to (suffer) for that?'' "

I think the quote above that he said was his gut response....I don't believe the language barrier had anything to do with it, it is merely an excuse to backtrack on after pressure from the union.

Speaking of this topic, I had the chance to pick up my signed sticks from the Predators at the GEC today that they owed me for getting season tickets for this year. I got to pick my agent's brain about inside happenings that we don't see in print. The most significant thing he said was that there is a HUGE rift that has developed in the union between the "money players" and the "young players"......he felt this rift was so significant that it would, by Janurary, either force Goodenow to resign or create an enviroment that replacement players would jump if an impasse was declared. Just one person's view, but someone who talks to the players and has much more of an insider's ear than I do.........

Old
10-19-2004, 10:40 AM
pred33fan

Wyatt Smith comments about this in the Tennessean...

''I wouldn't do it,'' said Milwaukee's Wyatt Smith, who has 83 games of NHL experience.

''I know it's an opportunity a lot of players don't get, and to turn something like that down might be odd. But I feel like I've shown I can compete against the best players in the NHL, and I'd want to play with the best and against the best.''

Old
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
This whole situation is really starting to piss me off and deep down I'm going to hold some resentment toward the players for years to come. PLAY HOCKEY....remember trotz's slogan...NO EXCUSES!!!

Old
10-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
This whole situation is really starting to piss me off and deep down I'm going to hold some resentment toward the players for years to come. PLAY HOCKEY....remember trotz's slogan...NO EXCUSES!!!
:lol That's a beautiful avatar man. One of the best shows ever.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:34 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Harrison
:lol That's a beautiful avatar man. One of the best shows ever.
indeed it is a great show. I bet I've watched every episode 50 times and it never gets old.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:34 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Letís assume that the NHL will resume play at some point under a salary cap that is based on league revenue.

What will the cap number be? Imo they couldnít use revenue numbers from last year. Last years numbers would be a large overestimations of future income. How long will teams have to get under the cap?

What would keep the Preds from losing money year after year? Considering they lost money last year and had a payroll that was well under the anticipated cap. Will a higher level of competitiveness be all that it takes?

Will free agency rules change? I would think that they would have to under a cap system. Will they be more like the NFL?

Well at least with a cap there is no way an overpaid crybaby like Chelios would still be in the league.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Pattypred

Check out this John Buccigross article..... interesting reading

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...370&type=story

Old
10-19-2004, 11:37 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Letís assume that the NHL will resume play at some point under a salary cap that is based on league revenue.

What will the cap number be? Imo they couldnít use revenue numbers from last year. Last years numbers would be a large overestimations of future income. How long will teams have to get under the cap?

What would keep the Preds from losing money year after year? Considering they lost money last year and had a payroll that was well under the anticipated cap. Will a higher level of competitiveness be all that it takes?

Will free agency rules change? I would think that they would have to under a cap system. Will they be more like the NFL?

Well at least with a cap there is no way an overpaid crybaby like Chelios would still be in the league.
I'd like to think that with the playoff appearance last season that preds season ticket sales and overall ticket sales would have sky rocketed. I've not seen it in numbers, but when I went to pick out my seats there sure weren't many seats left. I did, however, read in the hockey news that according to the Preds admin. that very few fans have requested full refunds on their season tickets this year.

Oh and chelios is sissy always and forever. Anyone else see where he is training or wants to be a part of the US bobsled team :lol

Old
10-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Oh and chelios is sissy always and forever. Anyone else see where he is training or wants to be a part of the US bobsled team :lol
Chelios is a sissy.....without a doubt. The bobsled team will be trying out for is the Greek team as he is of Greek heritage.

Doesn't it remind you of the Jamacian bobsled team?

Old
10-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang

Revenue sharing and a luxury tax would all add to our finances. Plus, if we just filled up the seats more, the Predators would almost certainly make enough money to break even.

10-19-2004, 11:42 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred
Chelios is a sissy.....without a doubt. The bobsled team will be trying out for is the Greek team as he is of Greek heritage.

Doesn't it remind you of the Jamacian bobsled team?
yeah except chelios's story should be called "tool runnings" :lol

Last edited by crossxcheck: 10-19-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old
10-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
yeah except chelios's story should be called "tool runnings" :lol
How about "fool runnings"?

Old
10-19-2004, 11:49 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred
How about "fool runnings"?
either way. he's both a tool and a fool. among other things

Old
10-19-2004, 01:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Revenue sharing and a luxury tax would all add to our finances. Plus, if we just filled up the seats more, the Predators would almost certainly make enough money to break even.
I'm one of those that thinks that if we become a winner, we can easily support a 35+ million payroll. I think if we win, we'll fill the seats. Teams that fill the seats usually have better ratings on TV. More seats, more ratings = much, much more money. If the Preds start winning, that combined with a robust and growing economy (though the feds are trying to keep growth to a minimum) and businesses might start getting into the fray and buying up luxury suites.

Old
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
handtrick

Does anyone think this Nov 2 meeting of Goodenow and the 30 team union reps will make any difference? The reps are given daily updates on their secure website according to the article. Any hackers around?
All in all, it says to me that there is a mutinous ground swell among the ranks....anybody got a different take?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...38&hubName=nhl

Old
10-22-2004, 07:54 AM
nine_inch_fang

I would agree that this meeting is because of the pressure the players are putting on Goodenow which is excellent. I donít know if it is mutinous yet only because I donít think it is about money yet. The players for the majority are fans of the game and I think this stupid situation in starting to get to them. They know the only way to solve the problem is to negotiate and that is what they are asking for.

Old
10-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Pred303

i think you're dead on handtrick...no doubt in my mind the purpose of this meeting called by the player association is simply damage control and to regain control over their own members after two seperate criticisms from within the ranks here in the last 2-3 days(first calgary then now this florida kid).....goodenow is just going to preach to the team leaders about how important it is for them to present a "united front"...this meeting has nothing to do with a proposal in my mind(willing to be wrong here)

Old
10-22-2004, 12:00 PM
nine_inch_fang

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic

But I am hoping the players come with the message to get something done or you're out. At least call a meeting with the intent to make some headway and if the owners won't budge at all then back up and reevaluate.

No matter what happens at this meeting Goodenow isnít going to get rid of the players telling him to make something happen. Shoot it may get worse. He might have them united on the salary cap but that doesnít mean they canít blast him in the media for not open any kind of dialogue. Itís not like he can fine them the way the NHL does the owners.

Old
10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Pattypred

The thing I keep remembering is that this is the Players' Reps not all the players.

Hopefully a lot of the players have contacted their reps and griped enough that the reps CAN TELL Goodenow to get something done soon!

:playnice:

Old
10-22-2004, 03:19 PM
handtrick

The problem with this meeting IS that it is ONLY the player reps. From my conversations, it is the young players whose interest are not being represented or heard. The player reps are all the "big money, older" players. The young players are predominately the ones that want this settled the most and right now.

To me it is ironic that Scott Walker could ever talk about contraction in a favorable light as he owes his career to the expansion and to the Predators in specific. No where else would he had a chance like he did here. H3ll, he was getting ready to be put on waivers by Vancouver when we claimed him in the 1998 expansion draft......He better look in the freaking mirror before he makes a statement like that again :bonk:

Old
10-22-2004, 03:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
The problem with this meeting IS that it is ONLY the player reps. From my conversations, it is the young players whose interest are not being represented or heard. The player reps are all the "big money, older" players. The young players are predominately the ones that want this settled the most and right now.

To me it is ironic that Scott Walker could ever talk about contraction in a favorable light as he owes his career to the expansion and to the Predators in specific. No where else would he had a chance like he did here. H3ll, he was getting ready to be put on waivers by Vancouver when we claimed him in the 1998 expansion draft......He better look in the freaking mirror before he makes a statement like that again :bonk:

They say it because they are union puppets, and they are duped (no one ever accused hockey players of being smart) into towing the 'we'll never play under a salary cap" party line.

I'd like to see an effort to eliminate the union. I'd like to see the NHL without a union. Management philosophy (both inside sports and out) has changed considerably since the Union was needed. There's a reason that Union numbers are dwindling at a good clip nationwide. Give this crop of GM's a chance to show their worth and work in a system free of a strong, centralized union.

I think, even within the hockey union, a good portion of the players don't really subscribe to union philosophy. But membership is so prevelant, you'd be an absolute idiot not to join the Union. Look at how other powerful unions viewed workers outside the union. Now imagine how targeted these players would be both on and off the ice. There are plenty who don't believe in the union, they just need an outlet. Goodenow is giving it to them.

Old
10-22-2004, 03:33 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
They say it because they are union puppets, and they are duped (no one ever accused hockey players of being smart) into towing the 'we'll never play under a salary cap" party line.

I'd like to see an effort to eliminate the union. I'd like to see the NHL without a union. Management philosophy (both inside sports and out) has changed considerably since the Union was needed. There's a reason that Union numbers are dwindling at a good clip nationwide. Give this crop of GM's a chance to show their worth and work in a system free of a strong, centralized union.

I think, even within the hockey union, a good portion of the players don't really subscribe to union philosophy. But membership is so prevelant, you'd be an absolute idiot not to join the Union. Look at how other powerful unions viewed workers outside the union. Now imagine how targeted these players would be both on and off the ice. There are plenty who don't believe in the union, they just need an outlet. Goodenow is giving it to them.

Hmm almost makes the nhlpa sound like the new york mafia, doesn't it?

Old
10-22-2004, 04:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It's wishful thinking to hope that this meeting is being called to call Goodenow to action. The players on the whole, or at least those that "matter," are thrilled with their champion..and why wouldn't they be? You're seeing some dissent in the lower ranks...but let's face it...Andrew Ference and Juraj Kolnik aren't exactly seminal cogs in the NHLPA machinery. When you start getting some of the higher-priced talent making these comments...then you can start to wonder, but first and formost, Goodenow works for the players. He's not forcing them to sit on this, he's acting out their wishes in a vehement manner. To fire Goodenow would be tantamount to collapsing the tent, for the players. You could not and will not see that.

Old
10-22-2004, 04:40 PM
handtrick

If you were a young player....and the NHL declared an impasse, and opened the door for replacement players.....would you cross?

Here is what Pronger has to say to you if you do: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...22/680957.html

Closed Thread