HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could This Actually Work ?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2004, 10:59 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
Could This Actually Work ?

The Scott Carson Project

OVERVIEW

1. If one full season, including playoffs, or season is lost, then the current Canadian NHL Franchises -- Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and Ottawa Senators -- should break away from the membership in the National Hockey League.

2. The six teams would form the basis of the new Canadian Hockey League, with Winnipeg and Quebec City regaining their former status, and Halifax and Saskatoon/Regina granted expansion franchises.

3. The ten teams would be split into two divisions. The East would contain Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax and Quebec City. The West would have Saskatoon/Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

4. Teams would play a balanced, 54-game regular season schedule with ever team playing each other six times apiece (3 Home, 3 Road).

5. Top four teams in each division make the playoffs so finishing fifth (last) would bring real shame to those cities.

6. First round of playoffs is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 format, best of 7 series (2-3-2) within each division. Second round is cross-over and there is re-seeding based on overall point standings. Championship round home ice advantage based on overall points. Best of seven played in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

7. Teams will be made up of mostly Canadian-born players. No team can have more than six import -- or foreign-born -- players on their roster at any time. Salaries will be paid in Canadian funds. Most of the overseas players will return to their countries of birth to play with the lowering of salaries.

8. Their will be a salary-cap system, and across the board revenue sharing. Any and all profits will be shared equally by the players and the owners.

9. All teams will have an affiliation with a Major Canadian Junior team, a feeder system to the League, like the old Montreal Junior Canadiens.

10. CBC will still show Hockey Night in Canada, Sportsnet gets Friday Night Hockey, and TSN gets the Sunday afternoon game of the week. The other nights divided equally between the two cable sports networks.

11. Main sponsors are the beer companies, with all getting title sponsorship on every broadcast. That in exchange for sinking big money in this league to make it legitimate. After the sponsorship scandal, the federal government might also be interested is some good will shown towards their taxpayers passions.

FINAL THOUGHT

In my mind, there's no logical reason for Canada's NHL teams to continue to do business with the American teams. The game has been dying a slow death in the US since the end of Wayne Gretzky's career. Sure, we'd miss a good Bruins/Canadiens or Maple Leafs/Red Wings tussle, but we wouldn't miss a Flames/Thrashers game on a Tuesday night. Let's take back this game that Peter Pocklington sold to the Americans when he signed off on sending Gretzky to Bruce McNall. This is the best chance to keep what is truly ours and the one sport that the US can't beat us in.

The United States doesn't need hockey. The NFL is king, NASCAR closing in, the NBA is the urban game, and MLB is tried and true. Hockey isn't "cool" enough for Americans. The best players have scarred faces and teeth missing. They loved Gretzky because they love only the best, and that's why he starred in both New York and Los Angeles. I said he starred, but he didn't win another Stanley Cup after he left Edmonton.

This league would sell because of the financial parameters would make the sport viable to all Canadians. If I wanna see nice houses of famous people, I'll watch MTV Cribs. But I could live next to a hockey player.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:23 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
Could This ACtualy Work?
NO.

the greatest part about the NHL is that it is all of the world's best hockey players concentrated in one league. your cfl-hockey style would simply make the country a small market like in europe while the world's elite would make their living in the states. it is the opposite of toronto getting an nfl franchise. with all due respect, the idea sucks.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Blackshad

I say yes, i would like to have a canadian league.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:36 PM
tritone

Quote:
NO.[/SIZE]the greatest part about the NHL is that it is all of the world's best hockey players concentrated in one league. your cfl-hockey style would simply make the country a small market like in europe while the world's elite would make their living in the states. it is the opposite of toronto getting an nfl franchise. with all due respect, the idea sucks.
It's not my idea...it's a column in sportsnet.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
not quite yoda

ok well that guy`s idea sucks. if you guys want a canadian league just like the cfl but in hockey, it already exists. it is called the AHL. that is the calibre of play you would be watching. so basically the suggestion is to take the toronto maple leafs out of toronto and replace them by the st. john`s maple leafs. replace mats sundin by harold druken? i don`t think so.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:45 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
ok well that guy`s idea sucks. if you guys want a canadian league just like the cfl but in hockey, it already exists. it is called the AHL. that is the calibre of play you would be watching. so basically the suggestion is to take the toronto maple leafs out of toronto and replace them by the st. john`s maple leafs. replace mats sundin by harold druken? i don`t think so.
I think you missed the part about "if the strike continues" ...and exactly why does Mats Sundin leave the Toronto team ? And why does Toronto leave Toronto?
The U.S. would not have a very strong league with no Canadian teams so it is feasable . I don't think it's as cut and dry as you're making it out to seem.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:47 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I'm all for something different, but realisticly, it can't work. Also, there's great markets in the states. Like Boston, Detroit, Minnisota, etc. I can't see a hockey league without those cities. The import thing also bothers me a lot. You can't really create a high caliber league without having a large talent pool.

The situation is really depressing, I wonder if I should stay a nhl fan. They don't care about their fans, why should I care about them?

Old
10-21-2004, 11:50 PM
tritone

I think everyone is overlooking the fact that 65% of the NHL is Canadian players. And this guy's theory would include several imported players "the elite" ...so if there were no NHL then I think this slution might actually work...plus we'd have the guys that play more for the love of the game than for the love of money. I do agree that the Stanley cup impact would be lost but it's a good 1 year project no?

Old
10-21-2004, 11:51 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtalenkov
Most People in Canada are happy about having a poor Football league, but hockey wouldnt be the same, its a tradition...lets not break it.
That's funny because I watch a lot of CFL football but I can't watch more than 5 minutes of NFL action. On the other hand, I would never support a proffessional league that would be a downgrade on today's NHL. If all canadians teams can support a 30-35 millions payroll and allow the greatest stars to play here, then it's alright.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:53 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
The Scott Carson Project

OVERVIEW

1. If one full season, including playoffs, or season is lost,
it doesn`t say if the strike continues.it says if it lasts one year. ever occur to you that some players may cave in once the NHL employs replacement players next fall?

the lower end guys (steve begin types) will need money and likely cross over. all the NHLPA heads care about is the top end guys keeping their 7 figure salaries (regardless of how many teams exist in the future) just to keep the avg. salary way up. goodenow,you see, has a salary that equals the salary of the avg. NHL player. similar dido for other union bosses. they don`t care about saving the little guys`jobs. that`s why the latter willl be the ones to walk over the picket lines and kick-start negotiations about one year (or a little longer) from now.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:54 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
The U.S. would not have a very strong league with no Canadian teams so it is feasable.
Not quite... There's only 3 big market teams in canada, van, tor and mtl that's it. Nothing more. The worst thing is that there's actually a plenty of healthy american team with stars players that without those 3 teams would still make a lot of money and pay all the stars they want.

Old
10-22-2004, 12:02 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
I think everyone is overlooking the fact that 65% of the NHL is Canadian players. And this guy's theory would include several imported players "the elite" ...so if there were no NHL then I think this slution might actually work...plus we'd have the guys that play more for the love of the game than for the love of money. I do agree that the Stanley cup impact would be lost but it's a good 1 year project no?
americans will play soccer in europe because it ius the best in the world there. europeans play hockey in america because it is the best in the world here.

your nova scotian and saskatoon teams can not afford to pay players the same as a team in boston or even nashville for that matter.

if the league would "break", the nhl wouldremain the nhl and mats sundin wopuld want to continue making 9 million or whatever and continue competing for the stanley cup like every other top athlete in the industry. do you see elite canadian football players (palmer, biakabutuka) play in the cfl because they are canadian? no. they go for the big money and bright lights.

ex: Messier is a Ranger through and through although he is from alberta and became a great player in canada. he left for the money. loved the life, the glamour and will retire a ranger for that. you don`t see him brunning back to edmonton to retire as an oiler for less money.

it`s a fantasy. a nice fantasy. but a fantasy.

Old
10-22-2004, 12:48 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
ok well that guy`s idea sucks. if you guys want a canadian league just like the cfl but in hockey, it already exists. it is called the AHL. that is the calibre of play you would be watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
On the other hand, I would never support a proffessional league that would be a downgrade on today's NHL.
Considering there would only be 10 teams and that canadian players make up for about 60+% of the NHL, I think it's fair to assume the caliber of play would be just as good if not better than the NHL as the talent would be a lot more concentrated. Sure guys like Rucinsky, Sundstrom, Kozlov, Zubrus wouldn't be there anymore but I wouldn't cry over them, would you ?

Guys like Ovechkin, Forsberg, Naslund, Lidstrom, Tkachuk and Weight could still play in that hypothetical league. Wether they would or not would be entirely dependant on the kind of money they could make compared to all the other leagues that would remain. And obviously that's assuming our southern neighbors wouldn't be able to create a league that would be able to lure canadian players away with more money.

I'm not saying this would work and I'm not saying I agree with it but to say the caliber of play wouldn't be as good as what we're seeing in the NHL is a big stretch. If that league can gather 100% of all the best canadian players + whatever percentage of the best euros/americans who want to play in that league then the caliber of play would be at least equal to what we currently have in the NHL.

That being said, if worse come to worse I could live with it. The good thing with such a league is that the level of interest among canadians would be even higher. I know of a lot of Quebecers that used to follow the NHL a lot more than they do now. For many reasons going from too many teams, not enough talent, league being too defensive, not enough canadian teams, the nordiques leaving, the habs sucking for the past 10 years, etc. That project would adress some of those reasons and I feel it would be an instant hit here, as soon as people would see this league is just as good if not better.

The problem is that this new league wouldn't be able to use the Montreal canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators names because they're owned by the NHL. So they would have to find new names.

I would counter that idea with my own though.

Create a world league having 3 divisions : canadian, european and american. With no foreigners being allowed. Players can only be traded within divisions. Meaning a canadian couldn't play on an american or european team. But a Swede could play for a German team.

Canadian : Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

European : Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech rep, Slovakia and Germany

American : Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Minnesota, New-York and Philadelphia

Each division would be a mini-league of its own but would have its own CBA. They would play at least twice against opposing division teams.

Only 4 teams per division would make the playoffs. You would have 3 division champs who would then play in a Memorial cup style tournament.

Maybe teams could have two import players per team, but I'd not want all the best canadian and european players flocking away from their own league toward the richer american one. A solution having the best of both world would be to somehow prevent import players from being paid higher salaries by having them tied to their own division's CBA even when playing in another division.

I know it has holes, I just thought of it so... it's all for fun anyway.

Old
10-22-2004, 01:03 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

well, I like your idea. I'm pretty conviced that it can't work though. I'm not going to bring all the reason, but dare I say that hockey would suck in USA. We kick their ***** big time and euros too. The caliber in the states would be downright terrible. Also, I dunno how I could live without a Saku Koivu or a Mats Naslund playing for my team. That would suck too. Anyways, the only real thing they can do is really get rid of a few teams in the nhl, where hockey doesn't belong.

Old
10-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
well, I like your idea. I'm pretty conviced that it can't work though. I'm not going to bring all the reason, but dare I say that hockey would suck in USA. We kick their ***** big time and euros too. The caliber in the states would be downright terrible. Also, I dunno how I could live without a Saku Koivu or a Mats Naslund playing for my team. That would suck too. Anyways, the only real thing they can do is really get rid of a few teams in the nhl, where hockey doesn't belong.
Yeah like I said above maybe there could be import players, but there would have to be a rule preventing players from making more money by going to another league.
That would solve the problem of american team sucking and us not being able to watch guys like Koivu. But I know... crazy idea.. I'm tired going to bed now...

Old
10-22-2004, 03:54 AM
tritone

Would it be feasable to have a sort of "protection" for the Canadian players.....they wouldn't be allowed to go to the U.S. for more money....deny them a green card or something...a tarriff of sorts

Old
10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
goalchenyuk

Canadian : Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

European : Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech rep, Slovakia and Germany

American : Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Minnesota, New-York and Philadelphia

hum ,
i would prefere to stay in america...just add Quebec and winipeg ..and keep the old americain teams and it woulb be perfect .14 teams look great .bye bye all the unskilled players , all the goons of the actual league.

by the way , change 2-3 book rules to let the small players be able to play their game. That way we would be able to see a lot of players who are really spectaculor

Old
10-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Habbadasher

The biggest problem I see is the 50-50 split of revenues, Bettman wants the players to get 55 percent, and the owners 45 percent, and the players are saying no way. The currently get about 75 percent.

Also, what about the NHLPA? They would never agree to this, their basic philosphy is screw the little guys, so long as the big guys still get the $ 10 Million paychecks. There could be no $ 10 Million paychecks in the league.

But I like the ideas, I just think the NHLPA would never go for it, so your still stuck having to break the union, which is what the NHL is trying to do.

Closed Thread