HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around The League XXXIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2012, 12:23 AM
  #101
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,238
vCash: 500
Everybody on this team is a product of the Sedins.

aandbreatheme is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 12:44 AM
  #102
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
It's sad, the Sedins are being outscored by Kessel and Lupul
That's what happens when you play in the East. Kessel/Lupul are scrubs in the West.

But seriously, Lupul was pretty much a scrub in the West.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
  #103
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
That's what happens when you play in the East. Kessel/Lupul are scrubs in the West.

But seriously, Lupul was pretty much a scrub in the West.
Lupul has just found his game after being given a chance as a primary guy. He was a superstar goal scorer in juniour and drafted in the top 5 in 2002 if I remember right. He was supposed to be a star like this in the NHL, just takes some guys longer. Kessel same thing, he was called ''the American Crosby'' by Pierre Maguire in 2005.

LoL@ignorant people trying to shoot down Kessel and Lupul, they're good players.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
  #104
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
LoL@ignorant people trying to shoot down Kessel and Lupul, they're good players.
That went over your head...I thought the made it obvious I was kidding.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:04 AM
  #105
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
That went over your head...I thought the made it obvious I was kidding.
I don't mean you, but there are Leaf haters out there who can't seem to come to grips that Toronto now has 2 or 3 superstar players.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:06 AM
  #106
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I don't mean you, but there are Leaf haters out there who can't seem to come to grips that Toronto now has 2 or 3 superstar players.
Guarantee it's only because they're on the Leafs, it's like how people can't come to the fact on how elite the Sedins are, but it's mostly just who they play for.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
  #107
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I don't mean you, but there are Leaf haters out there who can't seem to come to grips that Toronto now has 2 or 3 superstar players.
Colour me skeptical of calling Lupul a "superstar".

Show it to me consistently.

Kessel is a Premier sniper in the league, outside of him I dont see any superstars. Im assuming you mean Lupul and Phaneuf are the other two?

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:08 AM
  #108
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Guarantee it's only because they're on the Leafs, it's like how people can't come to the fact on how elite the Sedins are, but it's mostly just who they play for.
It really is.

The two largest markets in Canada, gee....what a surprise how many haters these two teams have.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:09 AM
  #109
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but:

Am I being a total homer in thinking that Alex Edler is considerably better than Tobias Enstrom?

I am seeing people in the trade forum saying Enstrom is better and that Edler is a product of the Sedin's. I've seen Enstrom play, not a ton, but enough over the years to know I wouldn't take Enstrom over Edler in any aspect.

Jets fans are saying in order to acquire their 5'10" 180lbs defensman it would have to be Edler or Kesler to start...

I know they drink a lot in Manitoba but I find that to be completely nonsensical.

If they are equally skilled dont you have to take the 6'3" 215lbs guy?
Enstrom is one of HF's favorite "underrated" players which makes him in fact overrated around these parts.

I wouldn't do a swap straight up for Edler, but they're pretty close.

VinnyC is online now  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:14 AM
  #110
BIitz
BPA Free Lining
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Uptown
Country: Mexico
Posts: 12,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Guarantee it's only because they're on the Leafs, it's like how people can't come to the fact on how elite the Sedins are, but it's mostly just who they play for.
I feel you guys. Both of us are treated unfairly. My favorite thing about the Canuck hate is how people say "I'd kill to have a player that does anything to win" And when you see the Canucks not retaliating to draw a penalty all you hear is "puss#"

Lupul either didn't have the chance or was injured. He's really committed to hockey since his back injury.


BIitz is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:26 AM
  #111
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Interesting clip. I never really liked Lupul until recently because I thought he was another Bissonnette ****** bag who liked to party too much. Definitely changed my mind after seeing how dedicated he was to the sport after a long bout with injuries and illnesses.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
  #112
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Colour me skeptical of calling Lupul a "superstar".

Show it to me consistently.

Kessel is a Premier sniper in the league, outside of him I dont see any superstars. Im assuming you mean Lupul and Phaneuf are the other two?
Lupul is lucky to be playing after the blood infection he contracted following routine herniated disc surgery. He was out for a year. Cody Hodgson's back problems were not near as severe as Lupul suffered.
What began with back spasms and a mysterious numbness in his right leg in the fall of 2009 turned into a need for surgery on the nerves in his spine.

When that didn’t solve the problem, he had the surgery again, only this time he developed a blood infection in the area and began experiencing inexplicable pain.

The infection meant six weeks on antibiotics with an intravenous line, and that meant he couldn’t lift a finger, let alone work out in a gym.

When infection returned, there was another two months on an IV, a period of inactivity that eventually stretched to nearly seven months.

The usually athletic Lupul withered away, losing nearly 40 pounds.

His first game back in the NHL came Dec. 5 after 12 months out of hockey. Two months later, the Anaheim Ducks traded him to Toronto, where he now says he was “rejuvenated” after being buried on the depth chart in Southern California.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2175365/

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:51 AM
  #113
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Colour me skeptical of calling Lupul a "superstar".

Show it to me consistently.

Kessel is a Premier sniper in the league, outside of him I dont see any superstars. Im assuming you mean Lupul and Phaneuf are the other two?
Phaneuf and Kessel for sure, Lupul is a star - but not a superstar with just one season, sure. Grabovski has also turned into quite the player the past two seasons.

Anyway why am I pimping the Leafs? I don't care for that franchise. I guess Toronto and Vancouver fans can sympathize with eachother about the amount of pathetic hate they get, though.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 01:59 AM
  #114
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Phaneuf and Kessel for sure, Lupul is a star - but not a superstar with just one season, sure. Grabovski has also turned into quite the player the past two seasons.

Anyway why am I pimping the Leafs? I don't care for that franchise. I guess Toronto and Vancouver fans can sympathize with eachother about the amount of pathetic hate they get, though.
And do not forget that Ron Wilson has yet to lose a play-off game as head coach of the Leafs.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
  #115
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And do not forget that Ron Wilson has yet to lose a play-off game as head coach of the Leafs.
That's one up on AV around these parts...

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  #116
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615614

Owen Nolan hangs them up for good. I was really pushing for this guy to make it out of training camp and have a good veteran presence role on the team. Too bad his health couldn't keep up with him anymore.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
  #117
ChemicalHansen
Registered User
 
ChemicalHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but:

Am I being a total homer in thinking that Alex Edler is considerably better than Tobias Enstrom?

I am seeing people in the trade forum saying Enstrom is better and that Edler is a product of the Sedin's. I've seen Enstrom play, not a ton, but enough over the years to know I wouldn't take Enstrom over Edler in any aspect.

Jets fans are saying in order to acquire their 5'10" 180lbs defensman it would have to be Edler or Kesler to start...

I know they drink a lot in Manitoba but I find that to be completely nonsensical.

If they are equally skilled dont you have to take the 6'3" 215lbs guy?
To me, it's not about the size when comparing them. It's almost irrefutable how well Enstrom plays relative to his size - he's lasted this long playing a significant defensive role with the same organization (kind of). We all know how well Edler can use his size to his advantage.

Where Edler takes the cake is being a known playoff contributor. His physical play can be a game-changer - we've all seen it. Enstrom is obviously a unknown quantity in that respect. Can he continue his play when forwards are even more motivated to take his head off?

At the moment Edler is the best choice, AINEC.

ChemicalHansen is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
  #118
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,485
vCash: 500
On Lupul - I said before on the NHL board that I knew one of his cousins during high school. She talked about him a lot (she was a big Oilers fan) and said how disappointed he had been to be drafted by Anaheim, and that he had been hoping to the last moment that Edmonton would manage to draft him.

Years later when he was dealt to Edmonton, I reflected on that conversation and thought how happy he must be, and I was sure he was going to rip it up. Of course, then, he didn't.

All of the trials and tribulations that came for him after finally seem to be in his rear view mirror for him. I don't know if he's a guy who's going to be able to put up seasons like this every year, but I feel pretty good for the guy. He had some real hard years both on the ice and off it, and now he seems to have finally found a fit. Good for him.

Kessel certainly has the talent, the question for me is his consistency and drive. He seems to have it so far this year; whether it's a one-year wonder or the start of something new remains to be seen.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
  #119
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
To me, it's not about the size when comparing them. It's almost irrefutable how well Enstrom plays relative to his size - he's lasted this long playing a significant defensive role with the same organization (kind of). We all know how well Edler can use his size to his advantage.

Where Edler takes the cake is being a known playoff contributor. His physical play can be a game-changer - we've all seen it. Enstrom is obviously a unknown quantity in that respect. Can he continue his play when forwards are even more motivated to take his head off?

At the moment Edler is the best choice, AINEC.
I've seen Enstrom play, obviously not as much as Edler, but try youtubing Enstrom, all you get to see is him on receiving end of huge hits.

He's a good player, but I dont think he's at the same level as Edler either.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
  #120
ubiquitous
More like Shredder
 
ubiquitous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I've seen Enstrom play, obviously not as much as Edler, but try youtubing Enstrom, all you get to see is him on receiving end of huge hits.
He's a good player, but I dont think he's at the same level as Edler either.
That has more to do with the fan base of Atlanta not bothering uploading videos of Enstrom doing anything fancy.

Same reason why a Toronto Maple Leaf is more likely to have highlight videos uploaded than a Columbus Blue Jacket.

ubiquitous is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
  #121
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
That has more to do with the fan base of Atlanta not bothering uploading videos of Enstrom doing anything fancy.

Same reason why a Toronto Maple Leaf is more likely to have highlight videos uploaded than a Columbus Blue Jacket.
It's kinda why all hits for Umberger is him getting laid the **** out.

VinnyC is online now  
Old
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
  #122
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 500
With the Nuge out another seven to ten days with a sprained shoulder, the discussion on the Oiler boards is revolving around the question whether (a) he was actually ready to return from the initial injury and (b) whether they have a Hemsky V2 on their hands.

And of course anytime you bring an 18 year old into a league of grown men, you are going to face charges of rushing his development. Obviously the Nuge has he skills, but is he physically developed enough?

ddawg1950 is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
  #123
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
With the Nuge out another seven to ten days with a sprained shoulder, the discussion on the Oiler boards is revolving around the question whether (a) he was actually ready to return from the initial injury and (b) whether they have a Hemsky V2 on their hands.

And of course anytime you bring an 18 year old into a league of grown men, you are going to face charges of rushing his development. Obviously the Nuge has he skills, but is he physically developed enough?
The Gilbert Brule question.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
  #124
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The Gilbert Brule question.
Good point.

kevinsane is offline  
Old
02-07-2012, 07:28 PM
  #125
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,485
vCash: 341
Delete.

AndyPipkin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.