HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around The League XXXIX

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2012, 12:23 AM
aandbreatheme

vCash: 500
Everybody on this team is a product of the Sedins.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:44 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
It's sad, the Sedins are being outscored by Kessel and Lupul
That's what happens when you play in the East. Kessel/Lupul are scrubs in the West.

But seriously, Lupul was pretty much a scrub in the West.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
That's what happens when you play in the East. Kessel/Lupul are scrubs in the West.

But seriously, Lupul was pretty much a scrub in the West.
Lupul has just found his game after being given a chance as a primary guy. He was a superstar goal scorer in juniour and drafted in the top 5 in 2002 if I remember right. He was supposed to be a star like this in the NHL, just takes some guys longer. Kessel same thing, he was called ''the American Crosby'' by Pierre Maguire in 2005.

LoL@ignorant people trying to shoot down Kessel and Lupul, they're good players.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
LoL@ignorant people trying to shoot down Kessel and Lupul, they're good players.
That went over your head...I thought the made it obvious I was kidding.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:04 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
That went over your head...I thought the made it obvious I was kidding.
I don't mean you, but there are Leaf haters out there who can't seem to come to grips that Toronto now has 2 or 3 superstar players.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:06 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't mean you, but there are Leaf haters out there who can't seem to come to grips that Toronto now has 2 or 3 superstar players.
Guarantee it's only because they're on the Leafs, it's like how people can't come to the fact on how elite the Sedins are, but it's mostly just who they play for.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Colour me skeptical of calling Lupul a "superstar".

Show it to me consistently.

Kessel is a Premier sniper in the league, outside of him I dont see any superstars. Im assuming you mean Lupul and Phaneuf are the other two?

Old
02-07-2012, 01:08 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Guarantee it's only because they're on the Leafs, it's like how people can't come to the fact on how elite the Sedins are, but it's mostly just who they play for.
It really is.

The two largest markets in Canada, gee....what a surprise how many haters these two teams have.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:09 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but:

Am I being a total homer in thinking that Alex Edler is considerably better than Tobias Enstrom?

I am seeing people in the trade forum saying Enstrom is better and that Edler is a product of the Sedin's. I've seen Enstrom play, not a ton, but enough over the years to know I wouldn't take Enstrom over Edler in any aspect.

Jets fans are saying in order to acquire their 5'10" 180lbs defensman it would have to be Edler or Kesler to start...

I know they drink a lot in Manitoba but I find that to be completely nonsensical.

If they are equally skilled dont you have to take the 6'3" 215lbs guy?
Enstrom is one of HF's favorite "underrated" players which makes him in fact overrated around these parts.

I wouldn't do a swap straight up for Edler, but they're pretty close.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:14 AM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

Quote:
I feel you guys. Both of us are treated unfairly. My favorite thing about the Canuck hate is how people say "I'd kill to have a player that does anything to win" And when you see the Canucks not retaliating to draw a penalty all you hear is "puss#"

Lupul either didn't have the chance or was injured. He's really committed to hockey since his back injury.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:26 AM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Interesting clip. I never really liked Lupul until recently because I thought he was another Bissonnette ****** bag who liked to party too much. Definitely changed my mind after seeing how dedicated he was to the sport after a long bout with injuries and illnesses.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Kessel is a Premier sniper in the league, outside of him I dont see any superstars. Im assuming you mean Lupul and Phaneuf are the other two?
Lupul is lucky to be playing after the blood infection he contracted following routine herniated disc surgery. He was out for a year. Cody Hodgson's back problems were not near as severe as Lupul suffered.
What began with back spasms and a mysterious numbness in his right leg in the fall of 2009 turned into a need for surgery on the nerves in his spine.

When that didn’t solve the problem, he had the surgery again, only this time he developed a blood infection in the area and began experiencing inexplicable pain.

The infection meant six weeks on antibiotics with an intravenous line, and that meant he couldn’t lift a finger, let alone work out in a gym.

When infection returned, there was another two months on an IV, a period of inactivity that eventually stretched to nearly seven months.

The usually athletic Lupul withered away, losing nearly 40 pounds.

His first game back in the NHL came Dec. 5 after 12 months out of hockey. Two months later, the Anaheim Ducks traded him to Toronto, where he now says he was “rejuvenated” after being buried on the depth chart in Southern California.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2175365/

Old
02-07-2012, 01:51 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Phaneuf and Kessel for sure, Lupul is a star - but not a superstar with just one season, sure. Grabovski has also turned into quite the player the past two seasons.

Anyway why am I pimping the Leafs? I don't care for that franchise. I guess Toronto and Vancouver fans can sympathize with eachother about the amount of pathetic hate they get, though.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Phaneuf and Kessel for sure, Lupul is a star - but not a superstar with just one season, sure. Grabovski has also turned into quite the player the past two seasons.

Anyway why am I pimping the Leafs? I don't care for that franchise. I guess Toronto and Vancouver fans can sympathize with eachother about the amount of pathetic hate they get, though.
And do not forget that Ron Wilson has yet to lose a play-off game as head coach of the Leafs.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And do not forget that Ron Wilson has yet to lose a play-off game as head coach of the Leafs.
That's one up on AV around these parts...

Old
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615614

Owen Nolan hangs them up for good. I was really pushing for this guy to make it out of training camp and have a good veteran presence role on the team. Too bad his health couldn't keep up with him anymore.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but:

Am I being a total homer in thinking that Alex Edler is considerably better than Tobias Enstrom?

I am seeing people in the trade forum saying Enstrom is better and that Edler is a product of the Sedin's. I've seen Enstrom play, not a ton, but enough over the years to know I wouldn't take Enstrom over Edler in any aspect.

Jets fans are saying in order to acquire their 5'10" 180lbs defensman it would have to be Edler or Kesler to start...

I know they drink a lot in Manitoba but I find that to be completely nonsensical.

If they are equally skilled dont you have to take the 6'3" 215lbs guy?
To me, it's not about the size when comparing them. It's almost irrefutable how well Enstrom plays relative to his size - he's lasted this long playing a significant defensive role with the same organization (kind of). We all know how well Edler can use his size to his advantage.

Where Edler takes the cake is being a known playoff contributor. His physical play can be a game-changer - we've all seen it. Enstrom is obviously a unknown quantity in that respect. Can he continue his play when forwards are even more motivated to take his head off?

At the moment Edler is the best choice, AINEC.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

On Lupul - I said before on the NHL board that I knew one of his cousins during high school. She talked about him a lot (she was a big Oilers fan) and said how disappointed he had been to be drafted by Anaheim, and that he had been hoping to the last moment that Edmonton would manage to draft him.

Years later when he was dealt to Edmonton, I reflected on that conversation and thought how happy he must be, and I was sure he was going to rip it up. Of course, then, he didn't.

All of the trials and tribulations that came for him after finally seem to be in his rear view mirror for him. I don't know if he's a guy who's going to be able to put up seasons like this every year, but I feel pretty good for the guy. He had some real hard years both on the ice and off it, and now he seems to have finally found a fit. Good for him.

Kessel certainly has the talent, the question for me is his consistency and drive. He seems to have it so far this year; whether it's a one-year wonder or the start of something new remains to be seen.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
To me, it's not about the size when comparing them. It's almost irrefutable how well Enstrom plays relative to his size - he's lasted this long playing a significant defensive role with the same organization (kind of). We all know how well Edler can use his size to his advantage.

Where Edler takes the cake is being a known playoff contributor. His physical play can be a game-changer - we've all seen it. Enstrom is obviously a unknown quantity in that respect. Can he continue his play when forwards are even more motivated to take his head off?

At the moment Edler is the best choice, AINEC.
I've seen Enstrom play, obviously not as much as Edler, but try youtubing Enstrom, all you get to see is him on receiving end of huge hits.

He's a good player, but I dont think he's at the same level as Edler either.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

Quote:
I've seen Enstrom play, obviously not as much as Edler, but try youtubing Enstrom, all you get to see is him on receiving end of huge hits.
He's a good player, but I dont think he's at the same level as Edler either.
That has more to do with the fan base of Atlanta not bothering uploading videos of Enstrom doing anything fancy.

Same reason why a Toronto Maple Leaf is more likely to have highlight videos uploaded than a Columbus Blue Jacket.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
That has more to do with the fan base of Atlanta not bothering uploading videos of Enstrom doing anything fancy.

Same reason why a Toronto Maple Leaf is more likely to have highlight videos uploaded than a Columbus Blue Jacket.
It's kinda why all hits for Umberger is him getting laid the **** out.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
ddawg1950

With the Nuge out another seven to ten days with a sprained shoulder, the discussion on the Oiler boards is revolving around the question whether (a) he was actually ready to return from the initial injury and (b) whether they have a Hemsky V2 on their hands.

And of course anytime you bring an 18 year old into a league of grown men, you are going to face charges of rushing his development. Obviously the Nuge has he skills, but is he physically developed enough?

Old
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
With the Nuge out another seven to ten days with a sprained shoulder, the discussion on the Oiler boards is revolving around the question whether (a) he was actually ready to return from the initial injury and (b) whether they have a Hemsky V2 on their hands.

And of course anytime you bring an 18 year old into a league of grown men, you are going to face charges of rushing his development. Obviously the Nuge has he skills, but is he physically developed enough?
The Gilbert Brule question.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The Gilbert Brule question.
Good point.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:28 PM