HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Elias Lindholm (2013, 5th overall, Carolina)

Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Auzzie19

vCash: 500
LOL, I'd laugh my butt off if Feaster pulls a Jankowski again, and picks Gauthier at 6.

I'd also throw my chair at him if I was a flames fan. Lets hope he doesn't manage to screw it up.

Would be a good draft if it went like this:
#6 - Lindholm/Monohan
#25 - Fucale/Hartman
#29 - Theodore/Mueller

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
LOL, I'd laugh my butt off if Feaster pulls a Jankowski again, and picks Gauthier at 6.

I'd also throw my chair at him if I was a flames fan. Lets hope he doesn't manage to screw it up.

Would be a good draft if it went like this:
#6 - Lindholm/Monohan
#25 - Fucale/Hartman
#29 - Theodore/Mueller
Feaster also drafted Baertschi, Gaudreau, Gillies, Wotherspoon...

Just because HF thinks he reached once at TWENTY-ONE does not mean he's going to do it at 6.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Feaster also drafted Baertschi, Gaudreau, Gillies, Wotherspoon...

Just because HF thinks he reached once at TWENTY-ONE does not mean he's going to do it at 6.
I'm still ok with the Jankowski pick. None of the players available where Calgary was originally picking looked all that exciting.

Now if he traded down out of the 6th spot into the 20s this year I'd get upset....

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Canuck71

This kid has a wicked skillset. I like him more than Filip Forsberg and Mika Zibanjed in recent years. Looks like he's gunna be a good one

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
bump

Within 24 hours of the Draft order selection. Statistically, the Oilers are most likely to select 7th (less than 13% chance of dropping to 8th).

I wonder if Lindholm has sufficient size to replace our in situ 2nd line center, Sam Gagner. I would be intrigued by a duo of :

1st line center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2nd line center: Elias Lindholm

But does Lindholm represent something that Gagner is not? Is he more than a 45-50 point man?
If he doesn't become better than Gagner he'll be a huge disappointment.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Yeah, I don't think people realize that Gagner is one of the biggest passengers in the league; he gets carried pretty hard by the other dudes in the Oilers' top 6.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
The thing is, and I'll preface this by saying the Oilers are one of my most hated teams, that Sam Gagner was on pace for 65 points in the NHL at 23.

We still don't know what Gagner will be in his prime.

Henrik Zetterberg wasn't scoring at a 65 point pace at 23 (to be fair to Zetterberg he was also only a 2 year NHL vet at 23 as opposed to Gagner's 6 year NHL career).

I just think it's unfair to Gagner and Lindholm to condemn his point totals on an abyssmal team for 6 years, and to suggest if Lindholm doesn't beat that he'll be a dissapointment.

Zetterberg didn't hit the PPG mark until 25....we still don't know where Gagner ends up.

I think we all forget this is a 23 year old player, not 27.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
JurassicTunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I'm still ok with the Jankowski pick. None of the players available where Calgary was originally picking looked all that exciting.

Now if he traded down out of the 6th spot into the 20s this year I'd get upset....
He already said that he won't be trading the 6th overall pick unless it is to move up into the top 4/5 picks.

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Yeah, I don't think people realize that Gagner is one of the biggest passengers in the league; he gets carried pretty hard by the other dudes in the Oilers' top 6.
Which dudes? LOL!

You could argue all the other dudes are passengers on the bus being driven by Taylor Hall.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The thing is, and I'll preface this by saying the Oilers are one of my most hated teams, that Sam Gagner was on pace for 65 points in the NHL at 23.

Henrik Zetterberg wasn't scoring at a 65 point pace at 23 (to be fair to Zetterberg he was also only a 2 year NHL vet at 23 as opposed to Gagner's 6 year NHL career).

I just think it's unfair to Gagner and Lindholm to condemn his point totals on an abyssmal team for 6 years, and to suggest if Lindholm doesn't beat that he'll be a dissapointment.

Zetterberg didn't hit the PPG mark until 25....we still don't know where Gagner ends up.

How do you know he is not in his prime right now?
I would consider topping out at 65 points a disappointment for Lindholm.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
How do you know he is not in his prime right now?
I would consider topping out at 65 points a disappointment for Lindholm.
We don't.

He's still improving though.

That's why I take issue with making the claim. Do we know Gagner is done improving? I'd say no.

I like Lindholm, and I do feel he has more potential than Gagner, claiming a 23 year old kid is done improving just seems silly, when there is large evidence that 23 isn't a players prime.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
We don't.

That's why I take issue with making the claim. Do we know Gagner is done improving? I'd say no.

I like Lindholm, and I do feel he has more potential than Gagner, claiming a 23 year old kid is done improving just seems silly, when there is large evidence that 23 isn't a players prime.
Every player is unique. One player can hit his prime when he's 23, another can hit his when he's 35.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:30 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Which dudes? LOL!

You could argue all the other dudes are passengers on the bus being driven by Taylor Hall.
Haha I would almost argue that (although Eberle, RNH, and Yak are all better than Gagner to varying degrees).

Quote:
We don't.

I'd say Gagner is pretty much what he is at this point, at least points-wise. Yes, he's young, but he's also been in the NHL for five full seasons, and a sixth truncated season; experience definitely counts. Until this year he's always hovered around the 40-50 point mark, he's always been a pretty weak possession player, and he's generally relied on his linemates rather than vice versa.

I'd be surprised if Gagner surpasses 50 points on a regular basis, unless the Oilers decide to load him up with more PP time than all of the other (better) guys. He might end up improving defensively still, but again, he has been around for a very long time for a guy his age and he doesn't seem to have learned a ton.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
joe89

Quote:

This is why projections >> comparisons. With comparisons you'll only get misconceptions about a player. Comparing play styles is a little different.

Lindholm projects as a 60-80 point center who's capable of making his linemates better. He'll be a steady physical player, good in front of both nets, and play in all situations of a game. His span is somewhere between great 2nd line center and franchise center.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Every player is unique. One player can hit his prime when he's 23, another can hit his when he's 35.
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Haha I would almost argue that (although Eberle, RNH, and Yak are all better than Gagner to varying degrees).

I'd say Gagner is pretty much what he is at this point, at least points-wise. Yes, he's young, but he's also been in the NHL for five full seasons, and a sixth truncated season; experience definitely counts. Until this year he's always hovered around the 40-50 point mark, he's always been a pretty weak possession player, and he's generally relied on his linemates rather than vice versa.

I'd be surprised if Gagner surpasses 50 points on a regular basis, unless the Oilers decide to load him up with more PP time than all of the other (better) guys. He might end up improving defensively still, but again, he has been around for a very long time for a guy his age and he doesn't seem to have learned a ton.
I think it's hard to gauge what any Oiler truly is at this point just because of the situation/environment they're developing in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
This is why projections >> comparisons. With comparisons you'll only get misconceptions about a player. Comparing play styles is a little different.

Lindholm projects as a 60-80 point center who's capable of making his linemates better. He'll be a steady physical player, good in front of both nets, and play in all situations of a game. His span is somewhere between great 2nd line center and franchise center.
Yeah, I agree with this, and I didn't mean to drag this Lindholm thread into a Sam Gagner projection-fest.

It's also why I mentioned Zetterberg...It's a pretty apt play style comparison to Lindholm I'd say, yet Z didn't score PPG in the NHL until he was 25.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
puckfan13

This guy is giving me some freaky Giroux vibes....

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think the first 4 picks are basically set, it's at the Carolina pick where things will get interesting, which ever way they go has obvious implications for the rest of the top 10.
It may be a mistake to assume this. There are rumors out there that several teams have Nichushkin rate as high as #2 on their list. I think this draft has potential for some huge surprises.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post

Great post. I think with his strength and hockey IQ Lindholm has a good chance at becoming an elite center.

Veritas0Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbyng View Post
"...with the 7th overall pick in the 2013 nhl entry draft, the edmonton oilers are pleased to select....from brynas, sweden...elias lindholm!" ...buh bye sam gagner!
Posted 10-15-2012, 12:15 pm

Nostradamus?

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

The kid will look like a superstar stud when paired alongside Kovalchuk

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Posted 10-15-2012, 12:15 pm

Nostradamus?
That's an epic post if they pick him at 7.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Hockeyfrilla

curious about Lindholms height, listed as 184cm at WJC, looks smaller imo.

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Exalted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
182 on Brynäs website. He's pretty... wide i guess you could say. that might fool you to think he's shorter than he actually is. He's got a really good frame to fill out on in the future though.

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Found this picture, it gives you an indication:

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:54 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Found this picture, it gives you an indication:

Looks like 185-186cm

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote