HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your current prospect rankings

Old
02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Your current prospect rankings

Since our present sucks, lets talk about the future! Obviously things have changed over the course of the season, who are your top 20 as of right now? I'd imagine a few guys have gone up and a few have gone down this season.

1. Nathan Beaulieu- Has done nothing to lose top spot in my eyes. A little bit disappointing in the WJC, but at the same time he was brought in to QB to PP and was put on the second unit.
2. Louis Leblanc- Proved he can play at the NHL level, even though not finished developing.
3. Jarred Tinordi- The guy who's raised his stock the most to me. I've high hopes for him. Was one of the few USA prospects that looked good. Has a fairly commanding lead in +/- on his junior team. Even put up his last year point totals in half the games.
4. Brendan Gallagher- Another guy who has really earned respect this year.
5. Danny Kristo- Doing well in the NCAA, not quite at the domination level to get him higher in my books.
6. Morgan Ellis- Morgan Ellis. That is how I describe him.
7. Michael Bournival- Played well at the WJC, lots of potential.
8. Aaron Palushaj- Could be higher if he were given real minutes during his NHL callups, but fourth line and scoreless in 16 lower him, not out of the top 10 however.
9. Steve Quailer- PPG in the NCAA. Has one eligible year left, but is likely going to be pulled early, not much left to do for him there. Another guy who raised his stock a lot.
10. Alexander Avtsin- Probably will be lower on other people's lists, but I still have faith in him.
11. Darren Dietz- Having a better season than his partner Duncan Siemens, who was drafted 11th overall.
12. Brendon Nash- Reason he falls? He hasn't played all year. There's a chance he isn't even re-signed, losing a full year at a crucial stage of development.
13. Patrick Holland- I think he could become the second best piece of the Cammy trade, after the 2011 second.
14. Daniel Pribyl- Improved on his totals from last year. Scoring at almost a PPG rate in Czech second league after playing exclusively in junior last year. Probably my pick to increase his stock the most next year, as quite a few of our guys are going to the AHL, and not all of them will be able to increase stock at the same time, as there's only so much ice time.
15. Ian Schultz- He impresses me attitude wise. No fear is a good quality.
16. Mac Bennett- Ugly but efficient.
17. Mark MacMillan- Probably the prospect I knew the least about going into the season. Has gotten a fair amount of playing time at UND as a rookie and is fifth in forward scoring.
18. Andrew Conboy- Could be higher, injuries may just seal his fate and he may not be Habs property next year.
19. Greg Pateryn- Staying the course
20. Olivier Archambault- Was thinking of not putting him on at all, but he's got too much natural talent to be excluded entirely.

HM: Dustin Walsh,

For the record, I didn't count Emelin, Engqvist or White as prospects.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Scotianhab

I don't have time to write up why I slotted who where so I'll just list my top 20 for now.

1. Beaulieu
2. Leblanc
3. Kristo
4. Tinordi
5. Gallagher
6. Bournival
7. Palushaj
8. Ellis
9. Bennett
10. Holland
11. Dietz
12. Avtsin
13. Quailer
14. Pateryn
15. Dumont
16. Pribyl
17. MacMillan
18. Nash
19. St. Denis
20. Walsh

HM: Conboy, Schultz, Nattinen

If we count Engqvist he'd be somewhere between 7-10.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I dont currently have a list made up to contribute, but Mac Bennett is probably the strongest skater in our prospect pool. He is by far the most fluid. Ugly but efficient does not describe him.

Shutdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
I dont currently have a list made up to contribute, but Mac Bennett is probably the strongest skater in our prospect pool. He is by far the most fluid. Ugly but efficient does not describe him.

I dunno, he's not exactly good looking

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:48 AM
OneSharpMarble

Archambault amazed the hell out of me in preseason, plus his name is awesome. I think we have a very deep defensive pool of talent but our offensive pool is pretty bad. I worry about Gallaghers style in the NHL, I get the feeling either he is going to get smashed or he just wont be effective.

We need a good shot from the point desperatly now that Subban has lost his. I hope Beaulieu can be that guy but who knows.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Archambault amazed the hell out of me in preseason, plus his name is awesome. I think we have a very deep defensive pool of talent but our offensive pool is pretty bad. I worry about Gallaghers style in the NHL, I get the feeling either he is going to get smashed or he just wont be effective.

We need a good shot from the point desperatly now that Subban has lost his. I hope Beaulieu can be that guy but who knows.
1. Gallagher had a very strong preseason playing against adults, if he can do that at 19 when he's not physically developed he can do it when he's 21/22 and ready for the nhl physically. don't worry about him.

2. Were not even done the season and you're already giving up on his shot? Just because he can't find his shot now, doesn't mean its lost forever.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:14 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
I meant what the poster believe you posted. Was a joke.

Old
02-05-2012, 03:18 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
1. Gallagher had a very strong preseason playing against adults, if he can do that at 19 when he's not physically developed he can do it when he's 21/22 and ready for the nhl physically. don't worry about him.

2. Were not even done the season and you're already giving up on his shot? Just because he can't find his shot now, doesn't mean its lost forever.
Pre-season is not a great example because most NHLers are not at full compete level and your play against a lot of younger players too. It is nice to see but I am not sure his play style will work.

I hope it comes back but if it doesn't we need to make a move to replace it. Our powerplay cannot be this bad again and Subbans shot is one of the reasons immediatly responsible for it.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:50 AM
wedge

I don't like our prospect pool for a team who's 28th overall.
And I don't want us to be the Edmonton Oilers and be in the basement for 4 years.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I would have Tinordi #1. With his size and wheels Habs may have something there

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Mtl6

Quote:
Since our present sucks, lets talk about the future! Obviously things have changed over the course of the season, who are your top 20 as of right now? I'd imagine a few guys have gone up and a few have gone down this season.

1. Nathan Beaulieu- Has done nothing to lose top spot in my eyes. A little bit disappointing in the WJC, but at the same time he was brought in to QB to PP and was put on the second unit.
2. Louis Leblanc- Proved he can play at the NHL level, even though not finished developing.
3. Jarred Tinordi- The guy who's raised his stock the most to me. I've high hopes for him. Was one of the few USA prospects that looked good. Has a fairly commanding lead in +/- on his junior team. Even put up his last year point totals in half the games.
4. Brendan Gallagher- Another guy who has really earned respect this year.
5. Danny Kristo- Doing well in the NCAA, not quite at the domination level to get him higher in my books.
6. Morgan Ellis- Morgan Ellis. That is how I describe him.
7. Michael Bournival- Played well at the WJC, lots of potential.
8. Aaron Palushaj- Could be higher if he were given real minutes during his NHL callups, but fourth line and scoreless in 16 lower him, not out of the top 10 however.
9. Steve Quailer- PPG in the NCAA. Has one eligible year left, but is likely going to be pulled early, not much left to do for him there. Another guy who raised his stock a lot.
10. Alexander Avtsin- Probably will be lower on other people's lists, but I still have faith in him.
11. Darren Dietz- Having a better season than his partner Duncan Siemens, who was drafted 11th overall.
12. Brendon Nash- Reason he falls? He hasn't played all year. There's a chance he isn't even re-signed, losing a full year at a crucial stage of development.
13. Patrick Holland- I think he could become the second best piece of the Cammy trade, after the 2011 second.
14. Daniel Pribyl- Improved on his totals from last year. Scoring at almost a PPG rate in Czech second league after playing exclusively in junior last year. Probably my pick to increase his stock the most next year, as quite a few of our guys are going to the AHL, and not all of them will be able to increase stock at the same time, as there's only so much ice time.
15. Ian Schultz- He impresses me attitude wise. No fear is a good quality.
17. Mark MacMillan- Probably the prospect I knew the least about going into the season. Has gotten a fair amount of playing time at UND as a rookie and is fifth in forward scoring.
18. Andrew Conboy- Could be higher, injuries may just seal his fate and he may not be Habs property next year.
19. Greg Pateryn- Staying the course
20. Olivier Archambault- Was thinking of not putting him on at all, but he's got too much natural talent to be excluded entirely.

HM: Dustin Walsh,

For the record, I didn't count Emelin, Engqvist or White as prospects.
I really like your top 20. Pretty similar to mine, but with one huge difference on Bennett, who would be a top 10 FOR SURE, before Palushaj, maybe even Bournival and Ellis.

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
1. Louis Leblanc
2. Nathan Beaulieu
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Jarred Tinordi
5. Danny Kristo
6. Michaël Bournival
7. Morgan Ellis
8. Aaron Palushaj
9. Mac Bennett
10. Darren Dietz
11. Steve Quailer
12. Frédéric St-Denis
13. Brendon Nash
14. Ian Schultz
15. Andrew Conboy
16. Gabriel Dumont
17. Mark MacMillan
18. Dustin Walsh
19. Patrick Holland
20. Alexander Avtsin

I didn't have any real ranking system, just based it off who I felt were likely to make the NHL and had good upside.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I don't like our prospect pool for a team who's 28th overall.
And I don't want us to be the Edmonton Oilers and be in the basement for 4 years.
It's above average...plus we have what 8 or 9 1st or 2nd year players? Subban Weber Diaz Emelin Pacioretty DD Eller plus Price who is 24.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's above average...plus we have what 8 or 9 1st or 2nd year players? Subban Weber Diaz Emelin Pacioretty DD Eller plus Price who is 24.
Not to mention this season we'll have a top 5 pick, plus some extra 1st and 2nd rounders maybe. Drafting a potential game breaker would help our prospect pool look sexier.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I like Watsatheo's list the best. However, I do believe that Holland may rise on our rankings over the next year.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:13 PM
shamrun

The more i see leblanc the more he rises. He is good just needs to get bigger i think.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
shortcat1

I know that this doesn't directly address the thread topic but, for most of us (and I mean the grand majority of us) to have a top 20 type of prospect list isn't a whole lot more than a subjective listing, a bit higher in validity than a favourites list.

With that perspective, I won't even attempt to make a list like that. I've hardly ever seen them play though I know, in this case, seeing isn't needed to believe. On top of that, I keep reading a variety of comments about these players and, by variety, I mean that the assessments of these players are not all that consistent. For instance, with regards to Jarred Tinordi, I've read that he'll be a solid shut-down defenseman to the uncertainty that he'll be able carry his skills successfully to the NHL level.

Another example is Ryan Mcdonagh. He was considered a top 4 defenseman at worst for quite a while and then, the year before he was traded, I read a lot of stuff saying that he wasn't progressing as hoped. By the way, these disappointed evaluations of Mcdonagh were coming from many of our own posters, likely the same ones who will feel comfortable to make a top 20 type of list.

So, I have no top 20 but I do have the definite hope that all of those players do well, keeping in mind that the odds are pretty small that 1/3 of these players will make it past the AHL.

Now, after all of that, at best, this can be a fun exercise but that doesn't really have a whole lot of bearing on the reality of our situation.

That being said, I would certainly accept such a list by the HF poster called "Montreal". He has seen and has taken the time to seriously follow these players. He will also say if he doesn't feel he has enough info to make a proper evaluation of a player. So, if you want a more accurate top 20 list, here's one by a poster of ours: http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=169

Here's another one by "Montreal" that's more in depth: http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=165

Last edited by shortcat1: 02-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
leefuyoung

Pretty good list although I'd put Bennett into the top 10 and Kristo down a few notches.

Bennett is Michigan's top dman as a sophmore.

Kristo is still just scoring at a point a game pace as a junior. He hasn't improved much from his freshman year.

leefuyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
NewHabsEra*

You guys have some nice lists, my ranking isnt much different than yours..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Beakermania*

1. Beaulieu
2. Leblanc
3. Gallagher
4. Tinordi
5. Kristo
6. Palushaj
7. Bournival
8. Ellis
9. Bennett
10. Dietz
11. Holland
12. Engqvist
13. Pateryn
14. Dumont
15. Quailer
16. Avtsin
17. MacMillan
18. Nash
19. Didier
20. St. Denis
21. Conboy
22. Pribyl
23. Schultz
24. Archambault
25. Fortier

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:27 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's average, at best.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Leblanc should be #1 IMO. He projects to 29 points in his rookie year over an 82 game schedule. Versatile, smart, he's very likely to be an elite 3rd liner or a 2nd line player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

We have an average prospect pool. A little depleted but with a top 5(probably) pick and potential pick/prospect returns from selling, we could easily move up to above average as soon as this summer. I think our prospect pool has NHL talent but a lot of top 9 forwards and no real top 3 guys. I wouldn't be opposed to montreal using other picks/players to move up to more top 60 picks, preferrably getting into 1st round multiple times. We can use some high end talent.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We have an average prospect pool. A little depleted but with a top 5(probably) pick and potential pick/prospect returns from selling, we could easily move up to above average as soon as this summer. I think our prospect pool has NHL talent but a lot of top 9 forwards and no real top 3 guys. I wouldn't be opposed to montreal using other picks/players to move up to more top 60 picks, preferrably getting into 1st round multiple times. We can use some high end talent.
I agree that we are lacking in top talent, but I really feel we have one of the better prospect pools in the league. At least in terms of how many NHLers we will produce. Other teams always have good prospect pools, but we're one of the few teams who actually crank out NHLers consistently with every draft.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I agree that we are lacking in top talent, but I really feel we have one of the better prospect pools in the league. At least in terms of how many NHLers we will produce. Other teams always have good prospect pools, but we're one of the few teams who actually crank out NHLers consistently with every draft.
I don't disagree with you there but I feel it took a slight hit after the tanguay pick was traded. Since then, only leblanc has played. Granted, it's been only 3 years since(4 soon) but the NHL hopefuls aren't in same class as say the 2007 or 2005 draft we had.