HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Finishing 6th looks like something to go for.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:48 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

vCash: 500
I honestly think we could have a competitive series with the Bruins if we faced them in the playoffs (assuming we make the playoffs).

Regardless, we'd still lose but I can see it pushing six games.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Sadly, I think we will finish 7th and play the Bruins.
This

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:37 AM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

A bunch of ppl seem to wanna play the Rangers if we make the playoffs, I wouldn't wanna face them after the way we were shut down at home the last time we played each other... Like the title of the thread, 6th seems to be the easiest route going into the playoffs

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:54 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
A bunch of ppl seem to wanna play the Rangers if we make the playoffs, I wouldn't wanna face them after the way we were shut down at home the last time we played each other... Like the title of the thread, 6th seems to be the easiest route going into the playoffs
Yeah, people need to realize that Playoffs are a whole new beast. Everything gets tightened down and it's a lot more rough and grueling. A team like the Rangers with many gritty players and a hard-working, "always finish your checks" mentality would eat the Leafs alive. Regular season record be damned, NYR is built for the playoffs, they are tough and gritty.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Kadri43

I don't see us doing too well against Boston. We do not have any wingers able to play tough along the boards and this will surely end up in us being in our own zone the whole playoff series. How many times do we see kessel and lupul unable to get the puck out. I really don't see them doing too well against the likes of Lucic marchand, horton etc. That team was built to be highly skilled and tough. We were built for speed and evasiveness (which won't help in our own end). I sure in hell hope we don't play boston in the first round.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Darcy Tucker

reading this kind of talk gives me goosebumps. havent felt this way about this leafs since the quinn era.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Sadly, I think we will finish 7th and play the Bruins.
How in the world is this a "sadly"? I think people on this board need a refresher on the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade. Seriously....Ron Francis and Brian Leetch were on our team the last time we played a playoff game. How about we just focus on making it....and then we go all Leafs-Wings from 1993 on the Bruins if we need to.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
How in the world is this a "sadly"?
Some people just love posting that they have this bad feeling that something bad is going to happen, badly. But:

1) It doesn't affect the outcome.
2) No one cares.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
I really don't care, I just want to see post-season hockey. If I had a choice, no Bruins or Flyers please and thanks.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
How in the world is this a "sadly"? I think people on this board need a refresher on the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade. Seriously....Ron Francis and Brian Leetch were on our team the last time we played a playoff game. How about we just focus on making it....and then we go all Leafs-Wings from 1993 on the Bruins if we need to.
+1

Some fans need some perspective. If the Leafs don't make the play-offs at all, everyone here will wish they were in, match-up be damned.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
+1

Some fans need some perspective. If the Leafs don't make the play-offs at all, everyone here will wish they were in, match-up be damned.
yep, exactly.

and I would LOVE a first round series with the Bruins. It would be epic.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
CellarDweller0

It doesn't matter who we play...the road to the SCF will always end up going through Boston.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:58 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
It doesn't matter who we play...the road to the SCF will always end up going through Boston.
+1 for agreeing with me.

+1 for the avatar.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I honestly think we could have a competitive series with the Bruins if we faced them in the playoffs (assuming we make the playoffs).

Regardless, we'd still lose but I can see it pushing six games.
Reimer vs. BOS: 5gms, 3-2-0, 2.77gaa, .919sv%

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
We should be gunnng for the flyers' fourth place spot, imo.
Shoot for the sky. We should be gunning for the Bruins' division lead. Its post all-star break so its Leaf time!

Honestly though I'd be happy with playoff hockey. I think the Leafs could surprise but even if they don't it'd just be nice to make it to the dance again. Progress!

By the way zeke can you ditch that awful avatar yet? Thus far I think the count is one star player for one star player so I'd say we're even at the moment.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
**** 6th we passing boston and taking the division title..

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Reimer vs. BOS: 5gms, 3-2-0, 2.77gaa, .919sv%
Regular Season =/= Playoffs

Anyway, getting into the playoffs would be enough to make me happy this year

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Inverted

i'll be happy as long as we finish anywhere in the top 8, can you imagine what it would be like the first playoff puck drop at the ACC after 7 years they'll bea buzz around the city and if the buds can take it to 7 games and cause an upset against the bruins or the rangers it would be epic

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yeah, people need to realize that Playoffs are a whole new beast. Everything gets tightened down and it's a lot more rough and grueling. A team like the Rangers with many gritty players and a hard-working, "always finish your checks" mentality would eat the Leafs alive. Regular season record be damned, NYR is built for the playoffs, they are tough and gritty.
Those 2 games we won in MSG early in the year, the Leafs out-played them in their own dump and chase, cycle the puck game. What happened in our 3rd game was complete abandonment of that by the Leafs, just a bad game by everyone.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
mooseOAK*

I wonder how healthy the Rangers will be at the end of the season. Blocking shots can hurt.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Darcy Tucker

we match up really well with the Rangers and if we play them I think it will be a gripping 7 gamer for the ages. Torts vs Wilson, Sather vs Burke, Gaborik vs Kessel, Girardi vs Schenn, Lundqvist vs Either, Avery vs Sloppy Seconds.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
The Big Swede

Lets start by making the playoffs then we can worry about who were facing

In the playoffs,anything can happen

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:10 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Shoot for the sky. We should be gunning for the Bruins' division lead. Its post all-star break so its Leaf time!

Honestly though I'd be happy with playoff hockey. I think the Leafs could surprise but even if they don't it'd just be nice to make it to the dance again. Progress!
The division lead is a bit too far away, IMO, and Boston while they won't stay as hot as they have been, I doubt they go cold for too long either.

IMO, getting Philly's 4th seed is a bit more realistic because a) they're only 6pts ahead of us with the same amount of games played, b) by the underlying stats (i.e. goal differential) they haven't actually been that much better than us this year, and c) they've got some serious injury issues at the moment and may be entering a cold stretch (while we on the other hand have just got healthy).

It'll be interesting to see how close we are by the end of the week, with the thursday tilt v. the Flyers obviously being very significant.

Quote:
By the way zeke can you ditch that awful avatar yet? Thus far I think the count is one star player for one star player so I'd say we're even at the moment.
I gotta pay my debts. It was a one-year sig bet and I lost fair and square.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Gatorade*

6th Shouldn't be a prob. Leafs have an easy schedule this season and are taking advantage of it.

Facing PIT could be an issue if Crosby is back. Tor have pretty easy against NYR with the speed game. NYR prefer gritty smack down games.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
we match up really well with the Rangers and if we play them I think it will be a gripping 7 gamer for the ages. Torts vs Wilson, Sather vs Burke, Gaborik vs Kessel, Girardi vs Schenn, Lundqvist vs Either, Avery vs Sloppy Seconds.
Leafs have walked over the Rangers except for that fluke midseason game where the Leafs didn't show up.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote