HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room V (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
  #726
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Thank you to Lafleur’s Fries (now known on this site as Lafleur’s Guy) for sending me the link.
Ahh Lafleur's, first place I discovered that paprika on fries is great.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
  #727
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Ahh Lafleur's, first place I discovered that paprika on fries is great.
odd ATD trivia: VI is a paprika fan. He had me send some with his first order of books.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
  #728
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
I guess he and I have something in common. Easily my most used spice.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
  #729
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
I was just working on my bio of Hobey Baker trying to flesh him out some more. Hobey Baker

I think I have largely succeeded but there is one thing that I am trying to find that maybe you guys can help me with.

In researching Baker, I found a game announcement featuring amateur all star Americans playing amateur all star Canadians here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4775%2C2252444


I then found what I believe may be the same Winnipeg amateur All Stars playing professional Western players and doing pretty well against them here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...3179%2C4160212


and here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6571%2C4359437


I was interested to try and find the game where the American amateurs played the Canadian amateurs to get a very rough idea of how the American amateurs compared.

I know from my research that they did quite well against Canadian collegiate level, but I am going a bit cross eyed trying to find the results of this game that was announced.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
  #730
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I was just working on my bio of Hobey Baker trying to flesh him out some more. Hobey Baker

I think I have largely succeeded but there is one thing that I am trying to find that maybe you guys can help me with.

In researching Baker, I found a game announcement featuring amateur all star Americans playing amateur all star Canadians here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4775%2C2252444


I then found what I believe may be the same Winnipeg amateur All Stars playing professional Western players and doing pretty well against them here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...3179%2C4160212


and here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6571%2C4359437


I was interested to try and find the game where the American amateurs played the Canadian amateurs to get a very rough idea of how the American amateurs compared.

I know from my research that they did quite well against Canadian collegiate level, but I am going a bit cross eyed trying to find the results of this game that was announced.
I think I have a book entirely about Hobey Baker. This is the busiest week of the year at my job but if I have any new info for you I should be able to post it within a week.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
  #731
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,185
vCash: 500
We discussed the disappearance of some sources from Google Archives a while ago. Today when I was looking for stuff on Ace Bailey, I couldn't find many of the quotes stoneberg used for his bio last draft.

Hedberg is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 03:23 PM
  #732
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
We discussed the disappearance of some sources from Google Archives a while ago. Today when I was looking for stuff on Ace Bailey, I couldn't find many of the quotes stoneberg used for his bio last draft.
what's happened with google archives in the past year is an awfully sad turn of events

...either that, or Stoneberg was making stuff up

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
  #733
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think I have a book entirely about Hobey Baker. This is the busiest week of the year at my job but if I have any new info for you I should be able to post it within a week.
That would be cool, I'm really interested to know how he did against us Canucks at the time.

Seems like at the college level his teams were very competitive and able to beat Canadian varsity teams, but I'm curious about that game I found the announcement for most of all.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
  #734
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
I'm still stuck at work, but I'm starting to question whether I have that book or whether it exists... that's right, I have so many books and made such a flurry of transactions that I'm actually wondering if:

- It never came with that pile of 500 books I bought
- It did arrive, and I kept it
- It did arrive, and I sold it
- It did arrive and I put it for sale but still have it
- It didn't have anything of substance about his hockey career

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
  #735
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
The Leafs are such an amazing team. They are responsible for allowing ~11.6% of Florida's goals this year.

jarek is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
  #736
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
The Leafs are such an amazing team. They are responsible for allowing ~11.6% of Florida's goals this year.
And all this for the low low price of $63.3 million in salaries (not including those buried!).. its truculence baby!

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
  #737
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
At least this collapse will lead to off-season changes. The last couple years, Burke has been fooled by great stretches at the end of the season. Most people knew it was just a mirrage, but genius Burke fell for it for whatever reason.

The problem is that it won't be enough. The team that Burke built is rotter right to the core, and it's the guys who he brought in, and committed to long term, that are the biggest problems. I don't see Burke swallowing his pride, and dumping all his boys.

A few tweaks isn't enough anymore. This team needs a huge enema. We're talking like a 50% roster turnover.

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:58 AM
  #738
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
At least this collapse will lead to off-season changes. The last couple years, Burke has been fooled by great stretches at the end of the season. Most people knew it was just a mirrage, but genius Burke fell for it for whatever reason.

The problem is that it won't be enough. The team that Burke built is rotter right to the core, and it's the guys who he brought in, and committed to long term, that are the biggest problems. I don't see Burke swallowing his pride, and dumping all his boys.

A few tweaks isn't enough anymore. This team needs a huge enema. We're talking like a 50% roster turnover.
I just found it retarded that they stockpiled NHL assets on defence, but didn't bother getting help up front (well check that, usefull help...up front...).

Sure it's great to have depth on defence but my god man ship one of your 8 NHL defenceman for top 6 F already. We saw this same script in Vancouver with Burke, terrible goaltending and no secondary scoring behind a very good 1st line to speak of what so ever. History is repeating.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
  #739
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

...either that, or Stoneberg was making stuff up
The New York Times, Feb 23 1940
Quote:
Art Chapman, while no longer the brilliant offensive player of prior years, added to his reputation as the N.H.L's premiere defensive forward. Chapman deserves the lion's share of the credit for holding the New York Rangers to nary a goal in the American's 1-0 overtime victory. Chapman, who early in the game was shaken by the hard-hitting Bryan Hextall, one of the circuit's most feared rough-and-tumble checkers, stayed in the game and was a thorn in the opposition's side all evening, thwarting opponent's rushes on a routine basis.

Hedberg is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 03:43 AM
  #740
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
The New York Times, Feb 23 1940
Evidence for Chapman's defensive game!! Good find Hedberg.

Also some more evidence for Bryan Hextall's physical play.

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
  #741
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Evidence for Chapman's defensive game!! Good find Hedberg.

Also some more evidence for Bryan Hextall's physical play.
Don't know if serious.

jarek is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 08:22 AM
  #742
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
The New York Times, Feb 23 1940


From the looks of it I'm not sure if your serious either, judging by the fact that it is regarding Hextalls physical play and Chapmans defensive play it is a pretty poor joke.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
  #743
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
From the looks of it I'm not sure if your serious either, judging by the fact that it is regarding Hextalls physical play and Chapmans defensive play it is a pretty poor joke.
I think it's pretty obviously a joke, lol. Look at the post he quoted.

Quite an elaborate one, however. He at least got the date, teams and players right. I'd say it was an almost successful troll.. it seems to have gotten Dreakmur.

jarek is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
  #744
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I think it's pretty obviously a joke, lol. Look at the post he quoted.

Quite an elaborate one, however. He at least got the date, teams and players right. I'd say it was an almost successful troll.. it seems to have gotten Dreakmur.
Why would I even suspect somebody of creating a fake newspaper quote?

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  #745
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
That was awesome, Hedberg.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
  #746
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
That was awesome, Hedberg.
At least we know where the standard has been set for future jokes like this.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  #747
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
At least we know where the standard has been set for future jokes like this.
What are you trying to say?

seventieslord is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
  #748
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
Penguins at Rangers tomorrow night. Will Sid dominate 70s style with 4 points in 22 minutes or will Lundqvist say "Not in my house" and stonewall him EB style?

Hawkman is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:32 PM
  #749
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Penguins at Rangers tomorrow night. Will Sid dominate 70s style with 4 points in 22 minutes or will Lundqvist say "Not in my house" and stonewall him EB style?
I'm really starting to think GMM is one of VI's users, toying with all of us.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
  #750
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
Delete


Last edited by Hawkman: 03-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Hawkman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.