HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room V (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
vecens24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Why not? They are both having excellent seasons, and are a testament to what a "duo" can do. I'm trying to HELP you here.. >_>

Why? They are both having excellent seasons, and both are on pace for 90 points, as LF13 pointed out, with a far from ideal center. To say that Kessel playing with Crosby could not achieve 100 points is a load of horse ****. He got 60 points with no help last year, he's potted 30 goals 4 years in a row, and this year he's developed some very nice playmaking skills. He's destroyed this perception of him as being a one dimensional goal scorer. Crosby could absolutely take Kessel to 100 points, and this year, if he had a better center (a certain center from Anaheim comes to mind), he could have achieved 100 points without too many problems.

You really ought to put your perceptions of a player aside and focus on what he's accomplished and what he's doing if you want to make a valid opinion about him. Kessel has been EXCELLENT this season, and he's showing off the offensive skills that had him touted as a top-3 pick during his draft year. Just because he's a Leaf, doesn't mean that he isn't destined for greatness.

Also, about Lupul: people seem to forget that he was a 7th overall pick in the past. He's developed slowly and injuries have taken a toll on that as well, but to laugh at the idea that he's capable of 100 points is irresponsible if you ask me, in the face of what he's accomplished this year. I think this year he's showing the offensive skills that made him a 7th overall pick. I'm not saying that he and Kessel can repeat these career years, as there is no evidence to support that yet, but they are both more than capable of being perennial top-10 scorers based on watching them play. A better center and then, the sky's the limit.
I'm going to move this discussion to the chat thread, just so you know I'm not deleting it.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Why not? They are both having excellent seasons, and are a testament to what a "duo" can do. I'm trying to HELP you here.. >_>

Why? They are both having excellent seasons, and both are on pace for 90 points, as LF13 pointed out, with a far from ideal center. To say that Kessel playing with Crosby could not achieve 100 points is a load of horse ****. He got 60 points with no help last year, he's potted 30 goals 4 years in a row, and this year he's developed some very nice playmaking skills. He's destroyed this perception of him as being a one dimensional goal scorer. Crosby could absolutely take Kessel to 100 points, and this year, if he had a better center (a certain center from Anaheim comes to mind), he could have achieved 100 points without too many problems.

You really ought to put your perceptions of a player aside and focus on what he's accomplished and what he's doing if you want to make a valid opinion about him. Kessel has been EXCELLENT this season, and he's showing off the offensive skills that had him touted as a top-3 pick during his draft year. Just because he's a Leaf, doesn't mean that he isn't destined for greatness.

Also, about Lupul: people seem to forget that he was a 7th overall pick in the past. He's developed slowly and injuries have taken a toll on that as well, but to laugh at the idea that he's capable of 100 points is irresponsible if you ask me, in the face of what he's accomplished this year. I think this year he's showing the offensive skills that made him a 7th overall pick. I'm not saying that he and Kessel can repeat these career years, as there is no evidence to support that yet, but they are both more than capable of being perennial top-10 scorers based on watching them play. A better center and then, the sky's the limit.
I'm aware of their point total , I luckily picked them in my pool in the beginning of the season and I'm going to win this 500$ because of them.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Nalyd Psycho

7 1/2 LWs this round so far. 4 RWs, 3 Gs, 3 Ds, 1 1/2 C.

I think we have a run on LWs....

02-11-2012, 01:05 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
7 1/2 LWs this round so far. 4 RWs, 3 Gs, 3 Ds, 1 1/2 C.

I think we have a run on LWs....
Almost all the players that were topping my list for 270 were LW.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Almost all the players that were topping my list for 270 were LW.
Not saying any of them are bad picks, just surprising how things cluster like this.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm going to move this discussion to the chat thread, just so you know I'm not deleting it.
Yeah, fair enough.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I'm aware of their point total , I luckily picked them in my pool in the beginning of the season and I'm going to win this 500$ because of them.
Then what's the problem?

Old
02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
EagleBelfour

Man, is Kobe Bryant a machine or what? Always clutch, game after game!

Old
02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Nalyd Psycho

He may be a robot designed for playing basketball with cool efficiency, but the programmers got lazy when it came to passing.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
He may be a robot designed for playing basketball with cool efficiency, but the programmers got lazy when it came to passing.
If I would shoot a basket they way Kobe do, I would hog the ball all game long.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:28 PM
vecens24

Kobe Bryant's clutchness is kind of a myth in a way. He's actually extremely overrated in that aspect of the game. If you're interested head over to 82games.com and their clutch stats. In game winning shot attempts he's actually pretty far down the list as far as FG% in those situations. From 03-04 to 08-09 for instance (which encapsulates a lot of his peak), he only shot 25%. It's kind of a myth perpetuated by the media because he takes more of them than anyone, so they lionize his makes and ignore his misses.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Nalyd Psycho

But Didn't Melo have one of the best clutch shooting %? And he's closing in on twice having his team be better off without him.

Although the study made Chris Paul look good, and he is good.

Old
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
vecens24

Quote:
But Didn't Melo have one of the best clutch shooting %? And he's closing in on twice having his team be better off without him.

Although the study made Chris Paul look good, and he is good.
Yeah, there are few bigger downgraders of Melo than I am, but even I wouldn't deny Melo is clutch in late game scenarios. I'd defitinely choose him over Kobe to take the final shot in the closing seconds.

Now for the first 47 minutes of a basketball game, that's a different story on how I feel about Melo.

Old
02-12-2012, 06:36 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Kobe Bryant's clutchness is kind of a myth in a way. He's actually extremely overrated in that aspect of the game. If you're interested head over to 82games.com and their clutch stats. In game winning shot attempts he's actually pretty far down the list as far as FG% in those situations. From 03-04 to 08-09 for instance (which encapsulates a lot of his peak), he only shot 25%. It's kind of a myth perpetuated by the media because he takes more of them than anyone, so they lionize his makes and ignore his misses.
I know next to nothing about basketball, but everytime I watch the Lakers, Kobe is hitting important basket time after time. But I'm guessing if EVERYONE is expecting Kobe to take the difficult last second shot, wouldn't it make it far more difficult for him to get the ball, be in decent position and then make the shot?

Old
02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I know next to nothing about basketball, but everytime I watch the Lakers, Kobe is hitting important basket time after time. But I'm guessing if EVERYONE is expecting Kobe to take the difficult last second shot, wouldn't it make it far more difficult for him to get the ball, be in decent position and then make the shot?
Oh it absolutely makes it more difficult, but other top players have to deal with it too. For instance a guy like Melo has to deal with it too but he still shoots 48% in game winning shot situations. The league average for these types of shots is around 30%, Kobe shoots 25%. The only all-stars (this isn't an exact science, but it helps narrow the field to those who the other teams know will be taking the final shots) that shoot below the league average are Kobe, Joe Johnson, and Dwyane Wade. Tracy McGrady and Kevin Garnett also fall below, but neither are all-stars at this point so I didn't immediately include them. Even reputed choker Vince Carter falls above this 30% mark.

Not to say Kobe isn't a great player don't get me wrong. I just think his clutchness is overrated.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
seventieslord

basketball....

Old
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

"Kronwall just crunched him!" said the play-by-play announcer as Briere fell beneath a strong hit along the sideboards. The crowd cheered and so did I, despite really, really not liking the Red Wings, I am a huge Kronwall fan, and have respect for Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I like the Flyers much more (cheer for them in their division but not against my top-5 teams) but when Niklas Kronwall lays out a clean, hard hit you gotta love it! I've been a fan of him since his world juniors days. I was saddened that he went to Detroit but after Stevie Y retired, Kronwall has made seeing Wings games bearable!

Old
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
jarek

So, on the same night that the Red Wings tie the record for the most consecutive home victories, Nicklas Lidstrom sets his own mark on history by setting a record for the most games played on a single team. Wow!

Old
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
basketball....
agreed

Old
02-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
I think he takes more crunch time shots than anyone and thus hits more. The problem is, in crunch time, when he should pass, he doesn't.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
A lot of times on these boards, I get the impression that a lot of guys in a certain age group - a little older than me, but not too much - really romanticize the 1980s and haven't begun to entertain the thought that a lot of 1990s and 2000s forwards have actually exceeded the achievements of a lot of those 1980s forwards.
Is there anyone actually between 31-40 in the ATD right now? I'm aware of the age of some posters , but none fit in this range.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Is there anyone actually between 31-40 in the ATD right now? I'm aware of the age of some posters , but none fit in this range.
seventies, I believe.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
seventies, I believe.
I believe seventies are around my age? 28?

Old
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
28, it's a good age to be.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
seventies, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
nope. 30.

How many ATD GMs actually have their age in their profile? I don't think it's many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Was that you who said it first? I remember someone said it first and I agreed with that person. Point being, I don't change my opinion based on who is in my division.

Sorry to steal your thunder...
take note everyone!

Closed Thread