HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Manny/Cespedes to Oakland. But who cares, Spring Training's started!

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
weems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Outside of D'Arnaud, what prospects have an excellent chance of playing with the Jays at some point this season?
I'd say Drew Hutchison has the best shot.
Farrell is EXTREMELY high on him and even AA has said many times this season that Hutchsion could be a factor in 2012.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
I'm confused...Hutch over Gose? Sanchez over Syndergaard?

5 in the top 100 is wicked too no? Don't get Sanchez being in the top 100 over Noah or Justin though. This is like the only list I've seen where he's ranked that well.
Ya that's a high ranking for Sanchez. He's got the potential to meet it, but last year didn't show it on a regular basis. He's got a higher ceiling then Nicolino though.

Syndergaard should be there though.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
But Sanchez has only pitched A- ball hasn't he? I dunno, it's draft pedigree he's going off of I guess.
Not even Low-A ball. Rookie ball. At Bluefield. Syndergaard pitched there too, but then saw time at Vancouver and Lansing too.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I'd say Drew Hutchison has the best shot.
Farrell is EXTREMELY high on him and even AA has said many times this season that Hutchsion could be a factor in 2012.
Definitely Huch!

Does Drabek still count?

Old
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Definitely Huch!

Does Drabek still count?
I'd think so.

Cooper should get some games in if Lind has back issues again.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:20 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Interesting throw away line by Dave Perkins of the TO Star about the Jays installing grass, and turfing the Argos.

Didn't even hear about that.....
I'm really surprised nothing was mentioned about this last year. I can really see whey the brass would be looking at it a little further now. When your out right told by a player or his agent that he doesn't want to play in your city because of the field it's a problem. I now really hope they find a way to do it. Let the Argos play elsewhere and get grass on that field.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Didn't see it posted but Mastroianni was claimed by the twins today.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Mastrobating in Minny!

Old
02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Keith Law says

That any body that thinks the Jays are cheap are just ignorant.

3. Toronto Blue Jays

One of the many reasons criticism of Rogers Communications, the owner of the Blue Jays, for being stingy with free agents is so ignorant is that the club has spent aggressively in the amateur markets during the past three years, grabbing high-ceiling high school players and Latin American prospects by stockpiling picks and paying whatever it took to sign those players. They are the organization most likely to be No. 1 on this list next winter.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:59 PM
weems

""Sources say Padres had deal with Toronto for Mat Latos..then asked for more..names mentioned Travis D'Arnaud-Drabek-Lawrie-Jays said no."

This from a SD radio person

Old
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
""Sources say Padres had deal with Toronto for Mat Latos..then asked for more..names mentioned Travis D'Arnaud-Drabek-Lawrie-Jays said no."

If those names were deal-breakers, I'm glad AA didn't do it. Much rather develop arms from within, than pay that much for Latos

Old
02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Saw this posted :

Quote:
Per Kevin Goldstein the Jays have signed Koby Clemens to fill out the minor league rosters. Clemens is a 25 year old first baseman who hit well in A ball and below but who has hit in the 240 range in AA and AAA. Clemens has slugger-type stats, he slugged .476 in AA in 2010 while striking out 143 times and walking 69 times.
Yup, that Clemens name.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
weems

Law on Aaron Sanchez

96-It wasn't quite the pro debut I'd expected from Sanchez, but after struggling with his control in his first two outings, he implemented an adjustment at Toronto's instruction to keep his front side more closed and produced much better results for the rest of the summer. Sanchez topped out in the mid-90s in just about every start, with an average curveball in the upper-70s and an improving changeup. His arm action is clean and easy, and his body is very projectable, so he could easily sit in the mid-90s in a few years once his body has matured.

He'll need to refine the off-speed pitches and improve his command, which still needs work even with his delivery more on line to the plate. Sanchez, control artist Justin Nicolino and hard-throwing Noah Syndergaard should all start 2012 in Lansing in what will be one of the minors' best prospect rotations, with all three guys strong candidates for next year's list.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro View Post
Looking at our top prospects we definitely need to be drafting some infielders during the 2012 draft, enough pitchers/catchers.
Jays have some but in the lower minors. Not a lot of high ceiling SS/2B/1B in the system. They do have McDade, Dean, Hech and bunch of guys in the lower system but yeah that's something they could improve in. They really really lack a potential good 2nd basemen in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Outside of D'Arnaud, what prospects have an excellent chance of playing with the Jays at some point this season?
Carreno, Hutch, McGuire, Hech (maybe), Jenkins, maybe even Woj.

Quote:
Not even Low-A ball. Rookie ball. At Bluefield. Syndergaard pitched there too, but then saw time at Vancouver and Lansing too.
He pitched in Vancouver and I believe Lansing too in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Didn't see it posted but Mastroianni was claimed by the twins today.
Good luck to him but I see him nothing more than a 4th outfielder at best.

Quote:

Did they ask for all three or at least one of them +++?

If they asked for 3, then I have no idea why they would lower their price so much to accept Reds offer.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Jays have some but in the lower minors. Not a lot of high ceiling SS/2B/1B in the system. They do have McDade, Dean, Hech and bunch of guys in the lower system but yeah that's something they could improve in. They really really lack a potential good 2nd basemen in the system.
Correct me if Im wrong, but arent most good 2B converted Shortstops?

Old
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
If those names were deal-breakers, I'm glad AA didn't do it. Much rather develop arms from within, than pay that much for Latos
Agreed. Catchers like d'Arnaud don't grow on trees. I love Arencibia as a power bat and the energy/personality he brings to the team, but d'Arnaud is still unquestionably the future of the team at catcher.

They could take Drabek though. he still might bounce back, but the extreme lack of control and occasionally piss-poor attitude aren't exactly endearing him to me.

Quote:
Saw this posted :

Yup, that Clemens name.
lol, cue the "the Jays brought him in to set up a roids supply line for Bautista" rumor.

derp.

Also re: Mastro - No biggie. Jays have ridiculous OF depth. It's not going to break their back to lose Mastro, nor are the Twins suddenly in possession of their OF of the future.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 45 GP, 17-21-7 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong, but arent most good 2B converted Shortstops?
I believe so but Jays aren't exactly loaded with high ceiling SS either. They got guys like Optiz, Burns, Berti, Pierre, Mooney... none of which project to be anything special. Some of those are SS and some are 2B, some are both but 'meh'. Vega-Rosada is intriguing... a 2nd baseman who hit really well at rookie ball but he is just 5'8 and isn't a player with a high ceiling.

Thon is probably the only SS with a high ceiling (excluding Hech).

Old
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Carreno, Hutch, McGuire, Hech (maybe), Jenkins, maybe even Woj.

He pitched in Vancouver and I believe Lansing too in the playoffs.

Good luck to him but I see him nothing more than a 4th outfielder at best.

Did they ask for all three or at least one of them +++?

If they asked for 3, then I have no idea why they would lower their price so much to accept Reds offer.
I doubt they asked for all 3. It was prolly for Drabek and d'Arnaud and then the Padres asked for more. Im not even sure I would deal d'Arnaud straight up for Latos. Hes a good young pitcher but coming from that division into the AL East would scare the **** out of me and d'Arnaud looks like a future stud.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
habamillions

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ith-blue-jays/
not the best stats

Old
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

If it was Drabek + I would have been fine with it but wouldn't want to see either of the other two moved.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:45 AM
GeneralSwell

Quote:
I doubt they asked for all 3. It was prolly for Drabek and d'Arnaud and then the Padres asked for more. Im not even sure I would deal d'Arnaud straight up for Latos. Hes a good young pitcher but coming from that division into the AL East would scare the **** out of me and d'Arnaud looks like a future stud.
Ya there's no way SD asked for all 3 for Mat ****in Latos. A package of Lawrie + D'Arnaud + Drabek is damn well near enough to land a Kershaw/Felix if available.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Augustus

Twins Claim Darin Mastroianni From Blue Jays

According to CBSSports’ Dan Knobler on Twitter via MLB Trade Rumors, the Minnesota Twins claimed outfielder Darin Mastroianni from the Jays earlier today. After the signing of Francisco Cordero was made official on February 1, Mastroianni was designated for assignment to clear a spot on the Jays’ 40-man roster

http://jaysjournal.com/

Old
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Augustus

Blazing Fastball's Top 300 Prospect Rankings

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...spect-rankings

Blazing Fastball has released our Top 300 Prospect Rankings for 2012. We will be updating the list every month throughout the season. There is plenty of commentary and individual team prospect lists at Blazing Fastball.com.

27 Travis D'Arnaud , - C Blue Jays

49 Jacob Marisnick , - OF Blue Jays

64 Anthony Gose , - OF Blue Jays

78 Drew Hutchison , - RHP Blue Jays

88 Noah Syndergaard , - RHP Blue Jays

111 Deck McGuire , - RHP Blue Jays

114 Daniel Norris , - LHP Blue Jays

123 Justin Nicolino , - LHP Blue Jays

159 Adeiny Hechevarria , - SS Blue Jays

177 Adonys Cardona , - RHP Blue Jays

184 Asher Wojciechhowski , - RHP Blue Jays

193 Aaron Sanchez , - RHP Blue Jays

Old
02-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I would easily do that. Latos has great stuff and potential to be an ace. Yeah coming to the AL East will probably hurt his numbers a bit but they still be good since he is a good pitcher to overcome that. His numbers were just as good away from Petco. D'Arnaud is no sure thing.

But I can understand the point of keeping D'Arnaud and finally having a potential all-star catcher which I'm not sure if this organization has had. There's been a lot of failed catchers over the years and D'Arnaud could end that and finally give the position some stability. We have some pitchers coming up so I can understand keeping D'Arnaud because we are not ready to contend yet.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Swervin81
MFW Leafs be Leafin

Harden to miss the season with shoulder surgery. Man, again? Wow, the Tim Connolly of pitching.

Closed Thread