HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Manny/Cespedes to Oakland. But who cares, Spring Training's started!

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Yet they can't afford to hold onto Gonzalez, Cahill and Bailey???

I think Beane has been riding the success of the early 2000's for far to long now, there seems to of been nothing to special there since everyone else caught on to their sabremetrics approach.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Sources: Oakland has agreed to terms with Yoenis Cespedes, 4 years, $36 million.
Is this confirmed? Really, the last team I would have expected to be in on him at that kind of money.

Just saw the article on MLB. I can't believe they signed him.

Last edited by dredeye: 02-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Who cares. He's not as special as advertised. Darvish, is. This, no.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Ya the Norris ranking is certainly aggressive but talks to the kind of arm the kid has.
A big year from Norris and adding 2 more first rounders and 3 compensation picks will only make this farm system even more scarier. Lots of fans might be upset about this offseason but in 2-3 years this team is going to be pumping out young studs left and right.
Could also use some of the young prospects for trade bait.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Annual HFBoards Jays League is now open!

League ID: 29524
Password: steal
Joined... I think Nemesis is gonna love my team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
John Stilson says his shoulder is 100% and feels better then ever.
This is awesome news. Stilson was prolly a first rounder before getting injured and he could move really fast thru our system. He and Santos could make a deadly 1-2 in the very near future.
I said it when we drafted him, with his stuff, if he is fully healthy and goes straight to the bullpen it's very possible we see him at some point this year! However, AA loves to give pitchers a chance to prove they are starters, so it's unlikely we see him start in the pen.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

apparently the Pirates are willing to take AJ Burnett off of New York's hands. Why?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Does anyone here do Auction drafts? They any good? Trying one this year for the first time. Anyone is welcome to join.

ID: 23099
PW: baseball
5 spots left

Old
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Joined... I think Nemesis is gonna love my team name

I said it when we drafted him, with his stuff, if he is fully healthy and goes straight to the bullpen it's very possible we see him at some point this year! However, AA loves to give pitchers a chance to prove they are starters, so it's unlikely we see him start in the pen.
What site is this league on?

Old
02-13-2012, 03:08 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
apparently the Pirates are willing to take AJ Burnett off of New York's hands. Why?
If the Yankees eat most of the salary (which they probably will if they trade Burnett), then I don't see why it's bad for the Pirates.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Annual HFBoards Jays League is now open!

League ID: 29524
Password: steal
I know I am going to sound like a moron but exactly, where do I go to sign up for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Sources: Oakland has agreed to terms with Yoenis Cespedes, 4 years, $36 million.
I'm kinda baffled with what the A's are doing this year. They traded away their closers and two good pitchers, signed Coco Crisp and now spend that much money on Cespedes who is a huge question mark with his hit tool.

I don't get why its a 4 year contract either.

The one think I always find a bit amusing is seeing teams spend so much on the international market but they won't do it for the draft. The talent you could pick up spending that much money on the draft picking up high ceiling and tough signs would be nuts.

Quote:
He still has value as an innings eater and should do much better in the NL instead of AL East. New York will likely eat up 60-70% of that contract anyways so paying 5-6M for Burnett isn't that bad.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

I'm kinda baffled with what the A's are doing this year. They traded away their closers and two good pitchers, signed Coco Crisp and now spend that much money on Cespedes who is a huge question mark with his hit tool.

The one think I always find a bit amusing is seeing teams spend so much on the international market but they won't do it for the draft. The talent you could pick up spending that much money on the draft picking up high ceiling and tough signs would be nuts.
Thank you!!

Old
02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Also not sure if this has been posted but Jays closing in on a 2 year deal with Janssen.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Also not sure if this has been posted but Jays closing in on a 2 year deal with Janssen.
that would be great. I'd love to have him locked up for 2 more years.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Yeah I saw this last week. Apparently the Yanks are gonna eat like 2/3 of the contract and add some prospects. Not a bad move if you need pitching. He would also do a little better in the NL without the DH.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Keeps the Jays' arbitration streak alive.

Quote:
I know I am going to sound like a moron but exactly, where do I go to sign up for this?
It's on Yahoo. Just type something like 'Yahoo Fantasy Baseball' into Google, and you should be fine from there.

Quote:
Nobody ever knows what the A's are doing, but the Cahill and Gio deals were pretty solid returns, I thought. Crisp is apparently a fan favourite, and Cespedes is all potential -- it could be an impressive deal if he returns his value or a bad deal which leaves them with 36 million dollars wasted. Beane does make a ton of risks.

Quote:
Cespedes wanted either a 4 year deal or a 10 year deal. Most teams, such as the Marlins, reportedly offered him 6 years. Oakland went the 4, so that probably interested him the most. He can be a free-agent and do this all over again.

From now on, I won't make predictions on player signings. I will just chalk it up to 'Mystery team'. That team, who ever it is, has a great record of winning.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
trellaine201

Wow only 2 pre season blue jay games on tv! A great chance to build the season up and Rogers once again takes the cheap route ala their payroll!

Old
02-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Keeps the Jays' arbitration streak alive.

It's on Yahoo. Just type something like 'Yahoo Fantasy Baseball' into Google, and you should be fine from there.

Nobody ever knows what the A's are doing, but the Cahill and Gio deals were pretty solid returns, I thought. Crisp is apparently a fan favourite, and Cespedes is all potential -- it could be an impressive deal if he returns his value or a bad deal which leaves them with 36 million dollars wasted. Beane does make a ton of risks.

Cespedes wanted either a 4 year deal or a 10 year deal. Most teams, such as the Marlins, reportedly offered him 6 years. Oakland went the 4, so that probably interested him the most. He can be a free-agent and do this all over again.

From now on, I won't make predictions on player signings. I will just chalk it up to 'Mystery team'. That team, who ever it is, has a great record of winning.
Yeah I just read the Cespedes wanting a 8-10 year deal which is absolutely freaking ridiculous. The dude is 26 years old already, hasn't even played a minor league and wants a 8-10 year deal.

Man, FA prices are so inflated. From the scouting reports I've read, I think he could be like Drew Stubbs.

Casey Jansenn signs 2yr/5.9M with a 4M club option. Good deal and arbitration streak continues!

Old
02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Alright cool, I'm all signed up guys.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Erick

Quote:
Yet they can't afford to hold onto Gonzalez, Cahill and Bailey???

I think Beane has been riding the success of the early 2000's for far to long now, there seems to of been nothing to special there since everyone else caught on to their sabremetrics approach.
They're not competing this year and they got good deals for all 3 of those guys.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Yeah I just read the Cespedes wanting a 8-10 year deal which is absolutely freaking ridiculous. The dude is 26 years old already, hasn't even played a minor league and wants a 8-10 year deal.

Man, FA prices are so inflated. From the scouting reports I've read, I think he could be like Drew Stubbs.

Casey Jansenn signs 2yr/5.9M with a 4M club option. Good deal and arbitration streak continues!
very very good contract for Jansenn. I'm glad he's locked up.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I signed up boys!

Look forward to kicking your *****

Old
02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Can someone send me a link to this to check it out? PM it. I have to admit the thought of kicking my fellow jays fans is appealing.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Gardiner Express
(base)ball is life

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Wow only 2 pre season blue jay games on tv! A great chance to build the season up and Rogers once again takes the cheap route ala their payroll!
do you know which games?

Old
02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Could also use some of the young prospects for trade bait.
Yep I mean we are really becoming loaded at certain positions especially catcher and starting pitcher. I mean if your AJ Jiminez or Carlos Perez what future do you really have in this organization with a guy who was just a rookie catcher and then possibly the best catching prospect in the minors. Perez seems to still be carrying good value in some scouting circles that if he starts off the season strong I wouldnt be against trading him. Then you have guys like Cooper, Sierra or Jenkins who for the most part prolly dont have futures with this team. I think at some point this season you'll see us make a trade were we ship out 3-4 prospects for a elite talent.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
.......Rogers doesn't save money by not broadcasting games on their own station...

Closed Thread