HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question for you goalies out there...

Old
02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
Question for you goalies out there...

I've just started playing goal over the past few weeks and I'm developing a sensitive area [basically feels like a rug burn] on the back of my knees. Is this a common issue or am I just strapping on my legpads waaaay too tight? If so how tight/loose should the straps be around the knee?

The burn area is on the skin up and down the tendons that flex when attempting a kick save or getting up from a butterfly position. It's much more pronounced on the inside of my legs than on the outside.

Thanks guys.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
goalie29

Ouch! That sounds painful.

What pads do you have? Different models are designed to be worn differently. Stiffer "butterfly" pads are meant to be worn loose, softer "hybrid" pads to be tighter.

My pads are held on mostly by the knee lock and boot strap/toe ties. The straps behind my knees and calves are really loose, like so loose as to almost be only for show.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
nightfighter

wear pants underneath? Or if you don't like that, try wearing one of those elastic knee support/bandages.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
FANonymous

Well I don't know much about the pads as I'm borrowing them from a friend who doesn't want to play goal for our team. Long story short I'm working on becoming an adequate emergency backup goaltender since we've been having scheduling issues with our guys this session.

The pads say they're Vaughn Legacy 6000's. Not sure if they're butterfly or hybrid. I'm pretty sure I'm just strapping them too tight, but I wanted to check with people who are more knowledgeable than me. When I say tight I mean, I'm pulling the straps as tight as they can go all the way up the leg. While that's not much of a problem in the ankle and calf area I'm beginning to notice it in the knee area.

Fortunately the burn isn't too pronounced right now. I'm thinking if I loosen up the straps it will go away with a little bit of time. At the same time, being inexperienced, I was worried that doing so could be the wrong thing to do and put me at risk for an injury or something.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I feel a little over my head considering the complete "how to play goal" advice I got from my friend who's lending me the pads was: "Just stop the puck, it's not that hard..."

Edit: I have been wearing pants underneath.

Edit 2: I have also been playing in goal very frequently these past few days. I just noticed the burn today after a drop in session this afternoon. I had also gone to a drop in the day before and filled in as goaltender for the lowest league out here last night.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:10 AM
BHDefensiveForward

I had this issue because the leather strap was too tight, and when go do down and up a lot, it will dig into your leg.

I've always kept the ankle, and calf straps tight, the rest are super loose to allow easy rotation when going down. I've never had an issue since. Just make sure your knee still is protected if you loosen the strap! Once you receive a slap shot to your knee cap, you'll find the back of your leg doesn't hurt as much as you thought!

If it's really bad, and you need the strap that tight, you could get a towel, or small cloth which you will need to cut, and wrap behind your leg by the back of your knee.

Last edited by BHDefensiveForward: 02-08-2012 at 02:30 AM.
BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
pelts35.com

Wearing borrowed pads and you are getting a burn you say? j/k

Personally I wear the knee strap extremely loose. The last thing I want is to go down in the bfly and feel a leather strap digging into the back of my knee. And, as the poster above said, you want the pads to rotate. Having them tight at the knees will prevent proper pad rotation.

I'm shocked that your friend who is a goalie would really say "Just stop the puck, it's not that hard..." That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Agreed. I'd say loosen up the knee straps and have a go. I always liked loose pads all the way around though.... Gave me better movement.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:43 AM
greyraven8

Don't play a lot of goal, but the higher up the leg the strap is the looser I have it on my current pads.

Back when I played with the old real leather pads filled with deer hair I had most of the straps tight and the pads would just mould to your leg. Had to change how tight I had the straps when I upgraded to a more modern pad.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Skarjak

You should be able to easily fit both of your arms through the straps. Personally I leave the bottom one a little tigher, and every other strap really loose. No matter how frequently you play, the back of your knees shouldn't really ever be sore.

You should experiment with the straps until you've got them just tight enough that the pads come back into position properly when you recover.

Also, goaltending is more than "just stop the puck, it's easy!". You might want to look that way: Goalie Store Bulletin Board. Lots of awesome advice there. There's a guy on that site who used to be goalie coach for the leafs. Wrote a really good guide called "essential goaltending". Might want to read that.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote