HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if we got Hal Gill?

Old
02-05-2012, 10:39 PM
STLhockey91*

vCash: 500
What if we got Hal Gill?

Look, I know rutherford told fans not to read too much into the fact that davis payne and a couple other scouts are in montreal, but just for fun what do you think of the blues getting hal gill?

there have been talks about the blues getting an experienced, shutdown defensemen to take some pressure off of shattenkirk and pietrangelo in the playoffs.

here are hal gill's attributes:

6'7 24l lbs shutdown defensemen
assistant captain of the canadiens
lefty D man

105 playoff games
hes been to the stanley cup finals multiple times, winning one with pittsburgh

2.250 million per year so hes not expensive

what are your thoughts? (this is just for fun of course)

i wouldn't mind trading colaiacovo for him

Last edited by STLhockey91*: 02-05-2012 at 10:46 PM.
STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
If we could trade Colaiacovo for him, I'd do it

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Carlo and a 2nd ?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Carlo and a 2nd ?
i wouldn't care. our rebuilding days are over. take our 2nd and 3rd picks for this year's draft with colaiacovo. don't care.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

If we got Hal Gill, then we'd have Hal Gill. It wouldn't really improve the team. Hitchcock is all about speed on defense, so I don't think they're interested.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
BlueBeard

Don't we already have a Hall Gill in Huskins?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:30 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
If we got Hal Gill, then we'd have Hal Gill. It wouldn't really improve the team. Hitchcock is all about speed on defense, so I don't think they're interested.
Exactly, and are we not 1st in league in GA/G? Geez...I mean do we really need another shutdown defensemen? IMO, if were to go after a Dmen it would have to be someone who could help us on the PP. Either way...what we really need is a goal scorer.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Carlo and a 2nd ?
Way overpayment. Honestly Carlo is the better player right now. Gill is SLOW. He really doesn't fit on our team. I think Gill at most is worth a 2nd.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

With Huskins coming back healthy this week, they'll have 7 healthy one-way guys on D. They simply cannot add Gill without subtracting one of those guys – they aren't going to carry 8 defensemen.

From the group, only Colaiacovo or Huskins would even be eligible to be the guy going back. But, why would Montreal take an expiring UFA contract in return for Gill? Doesn't make sense. Why would the Blues sign Huskins for Cup experience and physical play and turn around and trade him for the same thing?

Colaiacovo and the Blues' 3d for Gill? Maybe, in order to avoid the dilemma of having to play Colaiacovo in the playoffs where I think he'll be a weak link. If it happened I wouldn't be upset. It's not like Colaiacovo is gonna be back. Then you have three PMDs (Petro, Shattenkirk and Russell) always out there with a physical guy (Jackman, Polak, Gill, Huskins). This is about the only rationale I could see for Gill. Plus he'd have to transform into a different player when the playoffs start, because he's crap on a plate in the regular season.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:55 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
With Huskins coming back healthy this week, they'll have 7 healthy one-way guys on D. They simply cannot add Gill without subtracting one of those guys – they aren't going to carry 8 defensemen.

From the group, only Colaiacovo or Huskins would even be eligible to be the guy going back. But, why would Montreal take an expiring UFA contract in return for Gill? Doesn't make sense. Why would the Blues sign Huskins for Cup experience and physical play and turn around and trade him for the same thing?

Colaiacovo and the Blues' 3d for Gill? Maybe, in order to avoid the dilemma of having to play Colaiacovo in the playoffs where I think he'll be a weak link. If it happened I wouldn't be upset. It's not like Colaiacovo is gonna be back. Then you have three PMDs (Petro, Shattenkirk and Russell) always out there with a physical guy (Jackman, Polak, Gill, Huskins). This is about the only rationale I could see for Gill. Plus he'd have to transform into a different player when the playoffs start, because he's crap on a plate in the regular season.
Why are we adding to Cola. Cola is the better player. Cola is a good defenseman. His only real issue is his durability. Blues fans seems to under rate him a lot.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:19 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Why are we adding to Cola. Cola is the better player. Cola is a good defenseman. His only real issue is his durability. Blues fans seems to under rate him a lot.
I generally agree, but I think it's just snark about his recent play, which is admittedly sub-par.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Already explained but maybe this will be clearer if presented thusly:

1. Montreal gets nothing out of taking back an expiring UFA contract. They're not making the playoffs so how would doing that make them better? They have zero interest in doing a straight up trade for Hal Gill.

2. The Blues HAVE to move a defenseman to accommodate Gill. They aren't carrying eight. Fact. Underscore. Period.

3. The Blues aren't trading Russell to Montreal. Not a chance. Do we think they're trading Jackman? The entire right side's not being touched for the likes of Gill. Thus it's Huskins (makes no sense either) or Colaiacovo.

4. Since the salaries for Colaiacovo and Gill are essentially the same the Blues basically need to add something else. A 2d is too much if they're sending a body back.

Look – I don't want Hal Gill. The thread's about Hal Gill and what if the Blues got him, so operating on that premise, it has to be a Dman going back (to accommodate the Blues' space issues) and something for the future (to give some incentive to Montreal to trade him). In other words, if the premise is the Blues have traded for him, that's how I think it would have to be for the enumerated reasons.

But I don't really see the need nor do I personally have the desire to acquire Hal Gill.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:15 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

The Blues like mobile (preferrably fast, but at the very least agile), puck-carrying, puck-distributing defensemen who can join the rush, initiate transition play, contribute to their puck possession style of play, and be active in all 3 zones. Physicality is a bonus, but raw strength really doesn't have a lot to do with how the Blues play defense as a team (with mobility, structure, and sound positioning), and what the Blues want out of their defensemen in general. Even Polak and Jackman fit that bill for the most part.

Hal Gill doesn't fit any of that description. I honestly can't think of an "available" player less likely to end up in a Blues uniform by the deadline.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:35 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
The Blues like mobile (preferrably fast, but at the very least agile), puck-carrying, puck-distributing defensemen who can join the rush, initiate transition play, contribute to their puck possession style of play, and be active in all 3 zones. Physicality is a bonus, but raw strength really doesn't have a lot to do with how the Blues play defense as a team (with mobility, structure, and sound positioning), and what the Blues want out of their defensemen in general. Even Polak and Jackman fit that bill for the most part.

Hal Gill doesn't fit any of that description. I honestly can't think of an "available" player less likely to end up in a Blues uniform by the deadline.
I competely agree. Polak is one of the better skaters on the team IMO and Jackman will also go down low in the offensive zone from time to time. Gill is the exact opposite of a mobile defenseman.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

In direct response to the leading question:

"I could only presume Rich Pilon turned down the Blues offer to re-join the team"

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
LBC Vapo*

I gotta admit hearing about the scouts being there, whether really relevant or not, made me cringe. Hal Gill looks really, really bad most nights. It's about time he's put out to pasture.

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Ever think we were looking at a Jets defender?

I wouldn't mind getting Enstrom or Mark Stuart. Both could help this team.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Maybe Hainsey? Unlikely, I know.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
I doubt the team was looking for a defenseman. Seems much more likely we'd be looking at forwards.

DrVanntastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
I see these types of notices on the trade forum all the time (that a team has multiple scouts looking at a particular game). Has it EVER been the prelude to a trade?

I think this is just what scouts do. They take in lots of games. The professional scouting needs to be current, especially if you're approaching the trade deadline. You need to ALREADY know about a guy if you're going to get an offer at the deadline.

I suspect its more a coincidence that there were multiple Blues guys there at the same time as much as that they were dialing in on one guy in particular. There were only 4 games going on that day.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I doubt the team was looking for a defenseman. Seems much more likely we'd be looking at forwards.
In either last week, or possibly the week before, someone asked JR if they were going to add a forward and he said the Blues are looking for a D-man. For what it's worth, Strickland has also mentioned it a few times as well. Also, according to JR, the Blues were looking for a d-man before they signed Langs and Arnott.

Now if the right deal on a forward comes up I'm sure Army will take it, but it looks like they have been looking for a LH d-man for a while now.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
execwrite

How many goals will Hal Gill score in the next 31 games?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 800
Enstrom would be amazing. Pretty unlikely though.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Meandmyself

Quote:
Way overpayment. Honestly Carlo is the better player right now. Gill is SLOW. He really doesn't fit on our team. I think Gill at most is worth a 2nd.
Gill is more than slow, a second rounder for him is over payment. In a good team he would be a 7 or 8 defenseman. Maybe he would end up being healthy scratch during the playoff.

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Meandmyself

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
How many goals will Hal Gill score in the next 31 games?
It would be a miracle if he can get one.

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote