HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Sioux vs Gophers

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2004, 12:28 PM
ndhockey21

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ndhockey21 Send a message via MSN to ndhockey21
Sioux vs Gophers

Sioux Gophers this weekend biggest rivalry in the wcha. Im personally goin to the game on saturday and watch the friday game on a big screen! What are everyones thoughts on this great series.

Old
10-22-2004, 03:41 PM
badgerfan23

Biggest rivalry in the WCHA? Unlikely.

Should be an interesting game, I really do loathe both teams. I'm going to guess the Sioux sweep, maybe a split. Unfortunetley, the game's not going to be on any TV here in Wisconsin, I would really've liked to watch it. Then again, the Badger game isn't even on the TV.

Old
10-23-2004, 10:57 AM
shoyen

Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhockey21
Sioux Gophers this weekend biggest rivalry in the wcha. Im personally goin to the game on saturday and watch the friday game on a big screen! What are everyones thoughts on this great series.

How was the game? Im interested to hear what you thought of Matt Greene from Sioux?

Old
10-23-2004, 04:56 PM
MN_Gopher

Too many penalties. Killed the game. Gophs hit four posts. 21 powerplays. Sioux only 2 even strength goals. I have seen much better NoDak Minny games. The new rules are just killing the game. Players will adjust, but even on no tolerence some calls were close. Slowed the game way down, no tempo lil mometum. Atmosphere will play a huge part this year. Fans not play are going to hype players.

Old
10-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Wild Bill

Wow, good 1st period for the Gophers. 3-0, out shooting the Sioux 13-3. Goals coming from Tallackson, Potulny, Hagemo. Not really Parise's fault...Sioux looked slow and flat while the Gophers were sharp and all over the place. Hopefully, last nights game doesn't repeat itself tonight. Gotta learn to finish.

Obviously it is early in the game and the season, but a split right here is pretty important IMO.

Old
10-24-2004, 12:16 AM
MNwild10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet E. Sax
Wow, good 1st period for the Gophers. 3-0, out shooting the Sioux 13-3. Goals coming from Tallackson, Potulny, Hagemo. Not really Parise's fault...Sioux looked slow and flat while the Gophers were sharp and all over the place. Hopefully, last nights game doesn't repeat itself tonight. Gotta learn to finish.

Obviously it is early in the game and the season, but a split right here is pretty important IMO.

Great win for the Gophers 6-0. Really came back with a bang tonight, and proved themselves. As for the comment made about ND vs. MN not being the bigget rivalry in the WCHA is crazy!!! Personally, I don't think any other rivalry even compares to ND vs. MN in the WCHA.

Old
10-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Joseph

I'm just glad I get Fox Sports Atlantic, so I get to watch games like this in Sacramento. Great game.

Old
10-24-2004, 12:46 AM
badgerfan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwild10
Great win for the Gophers 6-0. Really came back with a bang tonight, and proved themselves. As for the comment made about ND vs. MN not being the bigget rivalry in the WCHA is crazy!!! Personally, I don't think any other rivalry even compares to ND vs. MN in the WCHA.

HA! Ever been to a Gopher-Badger game? That rivalry goes back to how much Badger Bob and Herb Brookes hated each other. Gopher-Sioux rivalry is big, but really they only play each other in hockey, and the Gopher-Badger border rivalry is huge in almost all collegiate sports, hence making the hockey rivalry even more brutal, IMHO. Plus, the Gophers and Badgers have played each other 228 times in hockey.

Anyways. Kinda glad the Goofers won, this way the Sioux have a loss which gives the Badgers a chance to catch up in the standings. But I'm biased.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:23 AM
MNwild10

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan23
HA! Ever been to a Gopher-Badger game? That rivalry goes back to how much Badger Bob and Herb Brookes hated each other. Gopher-Sioux rivalry is big, but really they only play each other in hockey, and the Gopher-Badger border rivalry is huge in almost all collegiate sports, hence making the hockey rivalry even more brutal, IMHO. Plus, the Gophers and Badgers have played each other 228 times in hockey.

Anyways. Kinda glad the Goofers won, this way the Sioux have a loss which gives the Badgers a chance to catch up in the standings. But I'm biased.

Well, the Gopher-Badger rivalry is big, but not as big of late because the Badgers haven't been able to compete with the Gophers in the last few years. The Sioux and Gophers career series is I believe even, give or take 1 or 2 which is amazing. Both teams always come to play and the results show it. Yes, the Gopher-Badger rivalry is huge in other sports, but I'm just talking about WCHA wise.

Old
10-24-2004, 02:42 PM
ndhockey21

Sioux get a split. Sioux looked really off on saturday. Matt Greene is a beast a very good dman.There was a good fight in the corner i was sittin in. Mcmahon and Vinelli i think, Mcmahon beat the crap out of him for 3 minutes. Hopefuly the sioux can rebound next week.

Old
10-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Joseph

Quote:
Sioux get a split. Sioux looked really off on saturday. Matt Greene is a beast a very good dman.There was a good fight in the corner i was sittin in. Mcmahon and Vinelli i think, Mcmahon beat the crap out of him for 3 minutes. Hopefuly the sioux can rebound next week.
Ya I saw that fight, pretty exciting.

Old
10-24-2004, 04:24 PM
PuckFan01

Quote:
Everybody I heard from thinks it was a lousy fight and even the guy in the newspaper in Grand Forks said most people thought it was a draw. Neither guy landed any punches that did anything.

The Sioux were outplayed badly for most of the weekend. For being on home ice, the Sioux were fortunate to get two points. The Gophers look like a much better team than the Sioux and that is saying something considering the Gophers are playing 7 or 8 freshmen a night. Future looks very bright for the Gophers and not as bright for the Sioux.

Old
10-24-2004, 11:37 PM
TheStateOfHockey

good series by both teams. both obvious power houses and its too early on in the season to really say much but glad to see it split.

Old
10-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Dat1guy

Gino Guyer

Can anyone close to the scene, tell me what is up with Gino? I watched the two games against the Sioux, but was wondering if he is really falling behind as his stats would suggest. There were plenty of times that he was throwing some absolute lolly pop centering passes to fellow Gophers that could not/would not finish.

I'm a Dallas Stars fan, and trying to keep tabs on a prospect, so any input is always appreciated. Thanks.

Old
10-25-2004, 06:58 AM
GoPenguins

For those that watched this game (wish I could see ANY hockey right about now..), can you comment about how freshman Alex Goligoski played? I have heard promising comments about his play so far for a 'fresher and after scratching my head when the Pens picked him in Round 2, I am now thinking the Pens scouts may have unearthed a gem.

Considering he is a freshman and will still have 3-4 years to learn his trade at collegiate level, could he turn out to be a good NHL player?

Old
10-25-2004, 09:58 AM
MN_Gopher

As for Guyer. He is paired up with Tallackson and has been for the last few years. (Lucia will always switch but those two are usually paired). The two of them are off and on. Guyer set a tournament record with assists playing with Barry a couple of years ago. But the two either seem to be trying to do too much. They were looked to provide leadership and some intensity. Guyer is a good passer and can finich. Will go into corners and although he does not hit much he is not affraid of getting hit to make a play. Gino just needs to relax. He is a talented player but just isn't quite there. He does not have a point yet this year. But he will be OK by the end. He is about a two to one assist to goal guy. Needs some finishers around him.

Alex Goligowski. Well i have benn impressed with him. Reminds me of Paul Martin. Not a big guy but a smart guy. Steps in the play and breaks up rushes. Hits OK, more than Martin. And his shot is low and accurate. Most of assists are deflection goals and rebound types. 5 points in 5 games with 2 games on the raod in NoDak, not bad at all for a freshman. Is paired with Harrington as a top pair of D men.

Old
10-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

My two cents on the series....

I saw both games, so here's some (brief) observations:

There was almost no flow to the Friday game. The sheer number of penalties made it hard for both teams to get anything going on a consistent basis. The Saturday game had a lot of stuff let go. Why? is beyond me.

The Sioux did a great job in friday's game of taking advantage of Minnesota's mistakes in the latter two periods. The Sioux picked up the physical game, which seemed to work to their advantage and did a nice job of bottling up the Gophers in their own zone. The Gophers outplayed the Sioux in many facets of the game on Saturday. I was very impressed with the way the Gophers freshmen stepped up to the challenge, particularly on defense. The Sioux defense was giving the Gophers way too many odd-man chances and the Gophers did a great job of busting up many of the plays that the Sioux were trying to put together.

The fight on Saturday night between Vannelli and McMahon, I thought was a draw. It was pretty good fight (although I personally thought the Prpich/Peluso fight last season was much better to watch). Although, I hated to see both players take a DQ, I applaud Vannelli for standing up to McMahon and not "turtling". Vannelli, in all of the game I've ever seen him play in, isn't a noted tough guy, but he was challenged and held himself pretty well. No disrespect to Rory McMahon or Mike Vannelli but if it was Matt Greene in there, I think Vannelli would've been toast and you Sioux fans know that Greene would've loved to have been in there throwing the haymakers.

The players I was most impressed with:

Sioux: Matt Smaby and Chris Porter. Two players that don't seem to get a whole lot of recognition that IMO should. Smaby, despite a couple of mistakes in the Saturday game, overall I thought played very well. He's begun to use that large frame and long reach of his quite well and I like the fact that he's picked up his physical game and being smart about it. What impressed me about Porter was his constant drive to the net. He was doing whenever possible. He was relentless and gave Minnesota's defensemen all they could handle. I remember on one play (I think it was in Saturday's game) where he darn near bowled over Harrington to get a good shot at the net.

Rastislav Spirko and Colby Genoway I thought also played really well. Genoway was a monster in the Friday night game. That goal he scored in the 3rd period on that 2-on-1 with Spirko was a beauty! I get more and more impressed with Spirko's moves every time I watch him. This kid is so great to watch. That goal he scored on Friday night, just had me in awe. How he got a stick on it to get it past Briggs was simply amazing.

Zajac, I know he's getting alot of attention, is looking better and more confortable. He's playing better, but I don't think we've begun to see what he can REALLY do yet. He gave us glimpses of it on Friday night, but this kid has some great hockey sense and terrific hands and IMO he hasn't really shown it much....yet.

Gophers: I can't make this list without including Ryan Potulny. He has just been flat out awesome for the Gophers. His stick work and hands are nothing short of amazing!

The Gophers freshmen have been impressive. Alex Goligoski (and I totally agree with MN Gopher on Alex looking just like Paul Martin out there). I love this kid's puck skills and his ability to get shots on net. He's also beginning to show that he can be patient with the puck too. How about Nate Hagemo? Is anyone else impressed with this kid besides me? He was terrific, especially in the Saturday night game. Very solid defensively, didn't make many mistakes. I was impressed with his hands and that heavy shot he's got too.

One player that isn't being talked about much that I have to give his due to is Tyler Hirsch. He seems to get overlooked alot. If you look at the box scores, you'll notice that Hirsch assists on alot of Gophers goals, especially those by Potulny. Hirsch's ability to not only find his teammates but make those perfect (or near perfect) passes is awesome. IMO, he's one of, if not the best passer/set-up guy that the Gophers have right now.

Chucko, like Zajac, IMO is a player who has just barely begun to show the talent and skill he possesses. I like the fact that Chucko has picked up his physical game and getting to net more but we haven't really seen all that much of what he's capable of doing yet.

Old
10-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Dat1guy

Guyer

Thanks for the heads-up on Guyer. From watching his centering passes during the two games against the Sioux, it seems inevitable that the points will return.

Old
10-25-2004, 05:05 PM
MN_Gopher

One more thing on Guyer. In the first game he was parked in front of the net. He drew one PP for cross checking. Got leveled and got up and still fought to get in front of the net. He will play anywhere and never complains.

Old
10-25-2004, 05:14 PM
ndhockey21

Oiler chick, your right that fight last year with Prpich was much better. Hopefully the sioux can rebound after that poor showing saturday.

Old
10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
RokhedCommish

Send a message via Yahoo to RokhedCommish
The game....

Thanx Oilers Chick....that was a great writeup. I listened to both games over the web, but couldnt get the dataflix live feed to work. Anyone else have problems?

Anyways, i too agree that Zajac has alot of upside, we just need to give him time. He is a freshman for crying out loud! Spirko i have also heard many good things about, and am sure he will be drafted when he goes eligible. Just too bad they played like crap in the second game of the weekend. How many odd man rushes did the Goophs have!!!?? Had to be at least 20. You dont deserve to win a game playing defense like that...byt the way they pretty much deserved a 6-0 loss. Was it the defenses fault..for pinching too much, were they too slow, did Greene and Jones look ok even after a 6-0 loss? On a side note, i think Potulny will lead the Goophs in scoring this year, now that Vanek is gone.

Also, how do you guys and girls that GO to the games or watch the games think Hakstol is doing? Is he making good decisions? Messing with lines that he shouldnt be? etc

Like alot here, I am UND alumni (1996) and love to watch the Sioux these days, but sure do envy you guys that get to see them every weekend. So keep up the great writeups for us that are not lucky enough to watch.

Brett
aka Rokhed

Old
10-25-2004, 05:42 PM
GoPenguins

Thanks for your comments on Goligoski. If he pans out to be a Paul Martin or Brian Rafalski, then I'll happily take it

Old
10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
ndhockey21

Hey Rokhead u played for them or just went to school there? Hakstol needs to light some sparks under some sioux players though other than that idk

Old
10-27-2004, 12:19 AM
jiggs 10

Brady Murray was EASILY the best player on the ice Friday night. He hit the post on his breakaway, or else the game would have been out of reach early for UND. Granted, the HORRIBLE officiating for the Gophers was hard to watch (6 minutes of 5-on-3 for the Rodents? Huh?), but the Sioux fought back. Yes, there were 6 posts hit during the game (4 Gophs, 2 Sioux), so that may have made a difference, but if the players adjust to the tight calls (or the TERRIBLE calls, as in the Friday game) things will be fine.
I didn't see Saturday's game (out of town at a wedding), but heard it was bad for the Sioux. Well, they had to lose a game SOME time, I guess!

Gino Guyer looked like a Pee-Wee on Friday. He's awful! What happened?

Little Potulny seemed to get lucky on Saturday, from what I read. He hasn't done anything against the Sioux in 3 years, so I guess he was due, eh? First time for everything, I guess.

We'll see where these teams are in April. I don't think the Gophs will be getting home ice in the playoffs, though!

Old
10-27-2004, 12:34 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Little Potulny seemed to get lucky on Saturday, from what I read. He hasn't done anything against the Sioux in 3 years, so I guess he was due, eh? First time for everything, I guess.
I think you are a little confused. This was Ryan Potulny, not Grant. He is a sophmore, though really this is his first real year in college, as he blew his knee early last year. And if you'd seen the goals, you'd know he didn't "get lucky". Those were sniper goals (though he was left open, but that isn't his fault).

Closed Thread