HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Having your name on an NHL jersey? Cool or Lame?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
  #26
IBLeaf*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,378
vCash: 500
Lame.

IBLeaf* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:42 AM
  #27
Dunny777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
If you don't play for the team your name shouldn't be on a jersey. Unless it's the same name as a player. Wearing a blank jersey shows you're committed to the team.
So a person has the choice to profess their belonging to Leafs nation either anonymously or non-anonymously, I really don't see why it should matter to you. Perhaps rather than harassing members of your own fan-base you could find more productive things to do, like actually cheer for the team or something?

Dunny777 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:45 AM
  #28
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny777 View Post
So a person has the choice to profess their belonging to Leafs nation either anonymously or non-anonymously, I really don't see why it should matter to you. Perhaps rather than harassing members of your own fan-base you could find more productive things to do, like actually cheer for the team or something?
You're a fan. Not a player.

Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:46 AM
  #29
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
I have my own name (Jacobs) with my usual number (14) and the C on the front. Why? Because I'm full of myself, that's why.

FrozenJagrt is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:47 AM
  #30
Dunny777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
You're a fan. Not a player.
So why not consider anyone wearing a jersey as lame? Only players require jerseys, not fans. We wouldn't want fans pretending like they're players. This is the same logic you're applying to the name argument.

Dunny777 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:48 AM
  #31
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
You're a fan. Not a player.
Interesting perspective from a poster who uses the term "we" when discussing the Leafs.

I'm not saying you're a hypocrite, but you're a hypocrite. Maybe you should think about your life a bit more.

FrozenJagrt is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:49 AM
  #32
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
You're right. I'll probably never get a name on the back of my Jersey, mine or a real players.... They just come and go too often.

If I had to chose the option of a player's last name, or my own, I'd probably chose my own, because it will last, and I am proud of my name and family, and it means a lot to me. Plus the number I'd chose would be 64, one that I don't think many players in the league has ever had, so.... its not like I'd pretend to be a player that I'm not...
Names like Gilmour, Joseph, Belfour, Sitler, Clark, Sundin, Domi stand the test of time. For current players, Kessel is probably the safest bet, as anyone else is expendible depending on the return. I did chuckle at seeing some Steen, Berezin, and Mogilny jerseys I saw out there.

At the end of the day, it's up to the person how they want to spend their money, but I would definately not get my name stiched on a jersey. Seems like waste of a jersey.

4evaBlue is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 12:53 AM
  #33
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Interesting perspective from a poster who uses the term "we" when discussing the Leafs.

I'm not saying you're a hypocrite, but you're a hypocrite. Maybe you should think about your life a bit more.
"We" comes from looking at a team from a management perspective. When people like to pretend to be armchair GM. "We" could bring this player in, or call this player up, etc, etc. People are acting in a hypothetical manners.

Wearing your name is extremely tacky, and is guaranteed to get a couple of calls at a game.

I think you're just trying to justify spending $200 on something you regret buying.

Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:08 AM
  #34
Dunny777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
"We" comes from looking at a team from a management perspective. When people like to pretend to be armchair GM. "We" could bring this player in, or call this player up, etc, etc. People are acting in a hypothetical manners.

Wearing your name is extremely tacky, and is guaranteed to get a couple of calls at a game.

I think you're just trying to justify spending $200 on something you regret buying.
The only thing that matters is that you feel real manly when you're making fun of other people for it. You must be real popular. Seriously, you must have all the friends.

Dunny777 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
  #35
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
You're a fan. Not a player.
yeah... i think you take it too seriously with the whole legit real life player n ****

Aplayaz2000 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:16 AM
  #36
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
"We" comes from looking at a team from a management perspective. When people like to pretend to be armchair GM. "We" could bring this player in, or call this player up, etc, etc. People are acting in a hypothetical manners.

Wearing your name is extremely tacky, and is guaranteed to get a couple of calls at a game.

I think you're just trying to justify spending $200 on something you regret buying.
You are not a part of management though. If you were to say "We had a great game", that would be silly. You are not in any way, shape or form a part of the Leafs organisation. Armchair GM or not, you have no real affiliation with the Leafs save for your choice to be a fan. More likely than not, there isn't a single member of Leafs brass who knows who you are. So who are you, exactly? And what gives you the right to tell people they should not put their name on a jersey because they don't play for the team when you throw around terms that make it sound like you feel as if you're part of the organisation.

Do you need a hand, or are you capable of getting off the high horse yourself?

FrozenJagrt is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:18 AM
  #37
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny777 View Post
The only thing that matters is that you feel real manly when you're making fun of other people for it. You must be real popular. Seriously, you must have all the friends.
I think the real men are the ones who don't get worked up when someone makes fun of them. Wearing a jersey with your name on it definitely deserves to be made fun of. It's the equivalent of wearing a tinted visor, yellow laces, camouflage tape, or a tucked in jersey in recreational hockey.

If you want attention you'll get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
You are not a part of management though. If you were to say "We had a great game", that would be silly. You are not in any way, shape or form a part of the Leafs organisation. Armchair GM or not, you have no real affiliation with the Leafs save for your choice to be a fan. More likely than not, there isn't a single member of Leafs brass who knows who you are. So who are you, exactly? And what gives you the right to tell people they should not put their name on a jersey because they don't play for the team when you throw around terms that make it sound like you feel as if you're part of the organisation.

Do you need a hand, or are you capable of getting off the high horse yourself?
Nice try deflecting the original point. Coming to a game and yelling trade player x he sucks may get a few laughs. Coming and wearing the C with your name will also get a few laughs, but at you.


Last edited by Aftcomet*: 02-06-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM
  #38
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
I think the real men are the ones who don't get worked up when someone makes fun of them. Wearing a jersey with your name on it definitely deserves to be made fun of. It's the equivalent of wearing a tinted visor, yellow laces, camouflage tape, or a tucked in jersey in recreational hockey.

If you want attention you'll get it.
So you're an elitist.

FrozenJagrt is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:26 AM
  #39
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
So you're an elitist.
How that makes me an elitist I have no clue. I don't tuck in my jersey. I don't care if someone's a bad player. I don't hotdog. I simply hate it when people put more work into their appearance than their actual game. They just do it because they want attention and to stand out. I wear everything regular. I don't try to customize anything or act special.

It's accessorizing. It's like putting a rear wing on a 1992 civic.

Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:38 AM
  #40
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.
 
DeathToAllButMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Interesting perspective from a poster who uses the term "we" when discussing the Leafs.

I'm not saying you're a hypocrite, but you're a hypocrite. Maybe you should think about your life a bit more.
And the winner is...

C'mon. Who the hell cares? I think it's beyond lame to be so into hero worship that you'd spend hundreds of dollars on a sweater with anybody's name and number on it. What are you? 12? Do you run around your house during games pretending you're Kessel or Lupul or whatever, too? That's super lame, and even more of a pathetic fantasy than putting your own name on a sweater.

I've got a couple of Mitchell and Ness sweaters, though. None with my name. One Leafs from 67 that I put Horton's 7 and an A on it, no name. That seems like the best compromise. Get something from an old era where they didn't put names on the sweaters at all.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:40 AM
  #41
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
And the winner is...

C'mon. Who the hell cares? I think it's beyond lame to be so into hero worship that you'd spend hundreds of dollars on a sweater with anybody's name and number on it. What are you? 12? Do you run around your house during games pretending you're Kessel or Lupul or whatever, too? That's super lame, and even more of a pathetic fantasy than putting your own name on a sweater.

I've got a couple of Mitchell and Ness sweaters, though. None with my name. One Leafs from 67 that I put Horton's 7 and an A on it, no name. That seems like the best compromise. Get something from an old era where they didn't put names on the sweaters at all.
Exactly. All I've got is a blank blue jersey. Nothing more.

Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:47 AM
  #42
scarlet512
Hong Kong Leaf Fan
 
scarlet512's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Not entirely related but I've seen a guy with 99 on his back and played like sh** on the ice. I mean, if you are to wear the Great One's number, you should at least play decently.

scarlet512 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:48 AM
  #43
spidergoalie
Registered User
 
spidergoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kamloops, BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
How that makes me an elitist I have no clue. I don't tuck in my jersey. I don't care if someone's a bad player. I don't hotdog. I simply hate it when people put more work into their appearance than their actual game. They just do it because they want attention and to stand out. I wear everything regular. I don't try to customize anything or act special.

It's accessorizing. It's like putting a rear wing on a 1992 civic.
You're clearly not a goalie
We want all our gear to match, and those who can afford it will get a custom paint job on the mask.

As for the jersey thing, I cannot say I have ever considered getting a Leafs sweater with my own name on it, and it definitely isn't something I've seen very often.
For myself I've owned a Potvin sweater, and Giguere Sweaters in both Ducks and Leafs, (and yes I occasionally wear a Giguere when playing ball hockey...for ice I wear a blank practice jersey)
The only other named sweater I would like is my first favorite goalie was Jacques Plante with the Leafs in the early 70's, so I wouldn't mind one day getting one of those.
To me it has nothing to do with pretending anything, though there is definitely an element of hero worship. (Giguere completely made me re-think how I play goal and very much for the better, so I see him as sort of a mentor)

Generally speaking I think it is best to either keep them blank, or choose a classic player...Gilmour, Keon...that type of thing.

All that said when I've seen NHL jerseys with a guy's own name I don't really give it any thought.

spidergoalie is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 01:50 AM
  #44
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
Your clearly not a goalie
We want all our gear to match, and those who can afford it will get a custom paint job on the mask.

As for the jersey thing, I cannot say I have ever considered getting a Leafs sweater with my own name on it, and it definitely isn't something I've seen very often.
For myself I've owned a Potvin sweater, and Giguere Sweaters in both Ducks and Leafs, (and yes I occasionally wear a Giguere when playing ball hockey...for ice I usually wear a blank practice jersey)
The only other named sweater I would like is my first favorite goalie was Jacques Plante with the Leafs in the early 70's, so I wouldn't mind one day getting one of those.
Generally speaking I think it is best to either keep them blank, or choose a classic player...Gilmour, Keon...that type of thing.

All that said when I've seen NHL jerseys with a guy's own name I don't really give it any thought.
Goalie's are different. They're allowed to customize their equipment.

Aftcomet* is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 02:14 AM
  #45
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @
 
30Rinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Seriously? Let fans wear what ever they want. The only thing that is lame is wearing one of our "holy" numbers (13, 17, 28, etc) with a custom jersey.

Other then that, let them enjoy themselves - they are just as much of a fan as you are, and they can have the merch they want. If you tried chirped me for my jersey I'd have some choice words for you. You have no right to chirp a fan because they got their name on a jersey, They are #XX because they love the leafs - respect them for that and cheer with them, not against them.

30Rinks is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 02:22 AM
  #46
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
like someone else said wearing a jersey in public is lame and personally would never buy one with the intention of keeping it. the only jersey I ever bought was a philly one $20, where I bought it an hour before a leafs/flyers game just to have some fun and then through it out on the way home.

-DeMo- is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 02:28 AM
  #47
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
You're a fan. Not a player.
I think it's more concerning that it bothers you that much. Why must everyone share your opinion or taste?

I personally wouldn't no, but it's none of my business or care if others do it.

Sonny21 is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 02:37 AM
  #48
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
How that makes me an elitist I have no clue. I don't tuck in my jersey. I don't care if someone's a bad player. I don't hotdog. I simply hate it when people put more work into their appearance than their actual game. They just do it because they want attention and to stand out. I wear everything regular. I don't try to customize anything or act special.

It's accessorizing. It's like putting a rear wing on a 1992 civic.
Who decides what's "regular"?

This is the exact reason why some of the schools around the world mandate uniforms, so people won't ignorantly be made fun of by their peers for their choice of clothing. Usually, by the time the kids leave high school, though, they grow out of it. Apparently, not everyone does.

Uniformity is boring. It's the things that turn your head that add spice to life.

4evaBlue is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 02:43 AM
  #49
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler
 
Jeffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,695
vCash: 500
My personal policy? Unless I'm getting it from the team, I want a players name or a blank.

My opinion of those who do it? I wouldn't, but whatever, its their money

__________________
"Never has such an unaccomplished person yapped as much as (Jeffler) does."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline  
Old
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
  #50
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Aftcomet has a pretty good life if his/her biggest worry is making fun of someone with their own name on their jersey.

who the hell cares.

this has to be in the running for stupidest thread of the year.

Patty Lee is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.