HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Stewart (cleared)

Old
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Anton Maurice

vCash: 500
This is strange.

Anton Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
He's been pretty bad. That's why it's happening. This is a wake up call...and if he does indeed get claimed, then JR walks away happy. The guy doesn't use either his speed or size with any regularity. Just another bad reclamation project.
Agreed he didn't live up to expectations but he was not a reclamation project.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Agreed he didn't live up to expectations but he was not a reclamation project.
Former first rounder who wasn't even given a qualifying offer by one of the worst teams in the league. Sounds like a reclamation project to me.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Reclamation project seems to imply that there was something shown worth reclaiming.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
caniac315

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Well, at first it was being sold as "Poni and Stew" will replace Cole, or at least his goals. But JR quickly backtracked on that idea. Maurice wasn't going to get anything out of them, and them Muller tried. Both are filler for budget teams, and not much else in my opinion. But it still bothers me that JR took the money he gave Kaberle, Brent, Poni and Stewart.....and could have signed or traded for a really high end player. I'd rather have 1 6 million dollar player than those 4...and fill the remaining gaps with Checkers. Not one of those 4 guys does anything that one of the Checkers can't do just as well.
So why doesn't JR do this? I mean, he's been around forever and he knows these things. If we are talking the same money, that can't be the problem.

caniac315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

This concept that you can plug in any decent AHLers into the bottom 6 of an NHL team and have them be successful is beyond misguided. That said, JR could have still filled out the bottom six with league mininum established guys and spent larger money on a more of a sure thing guy to play in our top 6.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Jokinen View Post
Former first rounder who wasn't even given a qualifying offer by one of the worst teams in the league. Sounds like a reclamation project to me.
Last year, on a modest level, was considered to be his "breakout year" with almost 40 points. Career highs in goals and assists by a wide margin but he didn't fit in with the Jets' plans. The signing was intended to a value-based one for someone who might show continued improvement, not a reclamation for someone trying to get back to a level they'd once achieved in the NHL.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Last year, on a modest level, was considered to be his "breakout year" with almost 40 points. Career highs in goals and assists by a wide margin but he didn't fit in with the Jets' plans. The signing was intended to a value-based one for someone who might show continued improvement, not a reclamation for someone trying to get back to a level they'd once achieved in the NHL.
I think part of the reason why the Jets didn't want him back was his inconsistency and how he faded after a hot start. Through his first 41 games, he had 10G, 15A and a +2 with a couple of hot streaks in Oct. and Dec. The 2nd half of the season, he faded to 4G, 10A and a -12.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I think part of the reason why the Jets didn't want him back was his inconsistency and how he faded after a hot start. Through his first 41 games, he had 10G, 15A and a +2 with a couple of hot streaks in Oct. and Dec. The 2nd half of the season, he faded to 4G, 10A and a -12.
If you want to put an even finer point on it, he had a 7-game streak in October where he put up 4-4-8, then 4 games in December where he put up 2-5-7. So right there, in 11 games' worth of hot streak, he had nearly half his production for the season.

If you take away those 11 games, his career stats look like this:

2005-06 10GP 2-1-3
2006-07 10GP 0-1-1
2007-08 26GP 0-1-1
2008-09 59GP 2-5-7
2009-10 AHL
2010-11 69GP 8-16-24
2011-12 50GP 6-7-13
TOTAL 224GP 18-31-49

Methinks the fellow might not be in the league much longer.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I wonder if JR has a team interested, but didn't want to trade anything for him. Only thing I can think of. He wasn't hurting us and he seems like a good teammate inviting the young ones over for dinner all the time, etc. And its not like he cost much. He's on a 4th line role, I seriously doubt its to make room for Dalpe or Boychuk who aren't 4th line players and Muller has yet to play them in that capacity, don't see him doing it now.

Then sending Nash down. Just yesterday their plan was to carry an extra forward. Now that's changed, why? Sure they could call up someone else, but as much as this team pinches pennies, it would make sense for that call up to fly out with the team today rather than make the cross country trek tomorrow.

I think something else is up, or rather, I wish something else is up.
Well, two coaches have deemed him worthy of 4th line even strength minutes and no time on special teams. So I'd argue that paying someone $1M to skate 7-8 minutes a game and not really do anything is in fact hurting the team, given that any random league minimum player can do the same and you have 500k left over to spend on someone else.

And that's the problem with the constant paying of a premium for veteran UFAs who contribute for very little. For $2.5M for Stewart/Poni, did they really receive a hell a lot more than they would have from two league minimum players, or two random prospects?

JR builds the bottom six like he's spending to the cap, and the end result is that the bottom six blows.

Replace Stewart/Poni/LaRose with three players making $600K and you have $2.4M to go towards a top six forward. And perhaps, that top six forward may have the elite ability to invite players over for dinner.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
tANNERRRR*

Why do you think Stewart was waived? His stats are way low this season, but how is his play? Sorry, but I'm hoping Anaheim claims him

tANNERRRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tANNERRRR54 View Post
Why do you think Stewart was waived? His stats are way low this season, but how is his play? Sorry, but I'm hoping Anaheim claims him

You and me both!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

According to Chip's latest article, it sounds like this decision was made mainly because of Muller. Muller liked the play of our callups and felt they were better suited to what he was trying to accomplish than Stewart.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Relevant tweets:

Chip Alexander @ice_chip
Rutherford said if Stewart clears waivers, he will play against Ducks. If picked up, "It will give one or two others an opportunity."

Chip Alexander @ice_chip
Rutherford said decision was based in part on the direction Kirk Muller wants to take team and getting "the right fit on the lines."

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes
JR on Stewart being placed on waivers: "It's not a case of a player not doing well or something like that."

Rutherford on potential moves: "I'm not actively trying to do anything."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ewart-decision

I still think it's a very odd move.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
wallym

Stewart isn't that bad. But our roster is an anomaly in the NHL. Our '3rd' line is designated solely for defense.

So we get these guys like Poni and Stewart, who are not bad options for the 3rd scoring line, only we don't have one. So then what do you do with them? They are wasting away on the 4th line, or playing out of their capability level in the top 6.

I don't know if someone will take Stewart or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him grabbed, get an opportunity to play more regular minutes on a 3rd line, and do reasonably fine.

As for 'signing these guys instead of signing some top level player', the benefit of doing it the way JR does, is that we can walk away from them at any time. It gives a lot of year to year flexibility.

Looking at Buffalo or even Rod Brindamours last contract, you see the consequences of having to overpay per year, or give too many years, or take a risk on an older player. And for a team like ours, where actual money matters burying someone in the AHL Wade Redden style is a non-option, it amplifies that risk many times over.

It makes life more difficult. And it's tiring watching us sift through the scrap bins, and wait for our prospects to develop. But that's just how it has to be in Raleigh.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

JR on Stewart being placed on waivers: "It's not a case of a player not doing well or something like that."

Oh right, I don't know where anyone would get THAT idea

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
StillTheResa

Strange that JR is implying Muller is making the call on waiving Stewart. Even if that's the case, I'm not sure you say it because if he doesn't get claimed, odds are he will still skate on the Canes again at some point.

Anthony Stewart will never get that good of a look in the NHL again.

ATL didn't want him and let him walk for free......JR should have known the poorman's Eric Cole replacement wouldn't be coming out of ATL for nothing.

StillTheResa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
wallym

He has 6g 7a in 400 minutes. That's reasonably productive. Just couldn't find a fit in the lineup.

re Muller: If we're sending in a 2man forecheck, I don't know if Stewart makes much sense.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Guy

I'm surprised he cleared. Oh well.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Chrispy

Stewart cleared waivers per Rutherford via Chip.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
ice_chip Chip Alexander
Stewart has cleared waivers, GM Jim Rutherford says
Stewart clears.

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Surpised not one of the 3 got claimed. Not sure what that says about the trade market, if anything.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
I'm surprised he cleared. Oh well.
Same. For all the interest he was getting on the trade board, I thought for sure some GM would share that interest.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I'm kindof surprised that he cleared as well. Though whether or not a GM wanted to commit to that 2nd year of his contract was probably the holdup.

Not overly surprised that Hamill cleared. He's been mediocre at best. I honestly expected him to be a much better prospect then what he's turned out to be. But that's been the case with just about everyone from that draft but Kane, JVR, Alzner, Gagner, Voracek, Couture, Max Pac, Sutter, and Galiardi. What a terrible draft.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:12 PM
TheBigKahuna

Everyone is waiting on re-entry waivers.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote