HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Stewart (cleared)

Old
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
I'm a little surprised Stewart cleared. Maybe teams figured that they didn't want to take on his salary now and wanted to wait until closer to the deadline and see where things sugar out. I suspect they can still get him for almost free then if they want him. I'm sure JR would take a 7th round pick for him even at that point.

Not surprised at all that Hamill cleared. He cleared waivers in September IIRC and hasn't done anything to change that. Also he isn't the type of player a contending team wants for help in the playoffs.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
tpsteffe

Agreed, nobody wanted to pay him $1 million next year.

tpsteffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Same. For all the interest he was getting on the trade board, I thought for sure some GM would share that interest.
I can't help but be snarky...but really? Random 16 year old hockey fanboy wants Anthony Stewart, so corresponding GM most likely will as well?

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I can't help but be snarky...but really? Random 16 year old hockey fanboy wants Anthony Stewart, so corresponding GM most likely will as well?
Generally speaking, fanbases know what the strength and weaknesses of their team are and what type of player fills a whole that covers a weakness (or at least alleviates it temporarily). So when many posters from a variety of fanbases post interest in their respective team picking up Stewart, one would think at least one GM out there would be interested as well.

It'd be the same thing if a 2nd line center were rumored to be available. Obviously, it's a weakness for Carolina, so many posters here would express interest in picking that center up and would hope that JR had that same interest.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Interesting decision. What was the point of putting him on waivers if as soon as he clears he plays on Wednesday? Obviously we wanted to get rid of him, arguably to give the kids a shot... Are we not going to assign him to Charlotte and call someone else up?

EDIT: This is a legitimate question. I'm always VERY confused about all of the waiver rules. From what I've heard Stewart will be in the lineup on Wednesday. Because he's not being sent down, he can't actually go on re-entry, right? If he plays on Wednesday, does that do something to the 30-day AHL assignment rule?

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

No idea on the waiver rule, but your point is a valid one. If the goal was to give the Checkers a chance, why is Stewart still playing? He's been a healthy scratch before.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Stewart would actually have to be assigned to Charlotte to be eligible for re-entry waivers I believe. Could very well be wrong about that.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Stewart would actually have to be assigned to Charlotte to be eligible for re-entry waivers I believe. Could very well be wrong about that.
Didin't the Rangers put Avery on reentry waivers before sending him to Hartford in an attempt to get someone to take him?

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I think Rutherford was hoping someone would take him and doesn't want to pay him to be in Charlotte. My guess is he'll package him with one of the rentals and/or some team down the road will have some injuries and JR will trade him for future considerations or something like that.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Got it, it's probably a budget thing. He wants to get rid of the contract, doesn't want to pay him to be a healthy scratch or play in the AHL, but also doesn't want to pay a 2-way contract their NHL value if Stewart's still on the payroll.

****ty situation for JR if that's actually what's happening. Haha he's probably PRAYING for Stewart to get injured right now. Hopefully it actually wakes Stewart up and he starts playing out of his mind.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Generally speaking, fanbases know what the strength and weaknesses of their team are and what type of player fills a whole that covers a weakness (or at least alleviates it temporarily).
Agree to disagree on that point. Just look at people who think Dwyer can just up and fill LaRose's spot, when they do entirely different things besides the PK.

Quote:
So when many posters from a variety of fanbases post interest in their respective team picking up Stewart, one would think at least one GM out there would be interested as well

Again, I think you are overestimating the relative (compared to the GMs) hockey intelligence of a vast majority of posters on here. Well, I take that back. On OTHER teams' boards, because this one is a small but fairly "in-tune" group. I mean, have you ever ventured to the Leafs or Habs boards? OMG.

Quote:
It'd be the same thing if a 2nd line center were rumored to be available. Obviously, it's a weakness for Carolina, so many posters here would express interest in picking that center up and would hope that JR had that same interest.
Now this is where I think you are correct. For an important piece like a 2nd line C, absolutely most fans could pick that out. However, and this is more where I was headed and probably should have specified, a very UN-important piece like Anthony Stewart doesn't garner 10% of the interest that is shown on HF. He just doesn't.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Several years ago Gelinas was waived and never sent down. It did light a fire under his ass though. Played well after that.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:12 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I didn't know Larose did anything other than community service and take penalties? And those don't seem to be strengths of Dwyer.

Bait taken!

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
totalkev

Waivers don't exist to clear a roster spot. Waivers are a courtesy to the player.

Think about it from Stewart's point of view. If you're barely playing, your new coach who signed a three-year contract says you're not part of the plan, and you're signed for the rest of this year and next, you really just want to play. By putting him on waivers, the team is offering him the chance to move to another organization that is willing to give him more of a chance.

Think about it in terms of young players. If waivers weren't required, teams could send guys up and down their entire careers. Or they could just be stuck in the minors forever without ever getting a chance. By exposing them to waivers, teams are giving players the chance to find an opportunity with another organization.

Now this usually happens when the player is out of favor, so it comes off seeming like it's something the team does when it wants to dump a guy, but that's not the case.

The waivers requirement is something that every players' association insists on because it prevents players from getting "stuck" in an organization that doesn't have plans for them.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Waivers don't exist to clear a roster spot. Waivers are a courtesy to the player.

Think about it from Stewart's point of view. If you're barely playing, your new coach who signed a three-year contract says you're not part of the plan, and you're signed for the rest of this year and next, you really just want to play. By putting him on waivers, the team is offering him the chance to move to another organization that is willing to give him more of a chance.

Think about it in terms of young players. If waivers weren't required, teams could send guys up and down their entire careers. Or they could just be stuck in the minors forever without ever getting a chance. By exposing them to waivers, teams are giving players the chance to find an opportunity with another organization.

Now this usually happens when the player is out of favor, so it comes off seeming like it's something the team does when it wants to dump a guy, but that's not the case.

The waivers requirement is something that every players' association insists on because it prevents players from getting "stuck" in an organization that doesn't have plans for them.
If JR is now making roster moves ENTIRELY for the courtesy of the player, he needs to go. While it may be a big part of it, Stewart's not just going to say "put me on waivers" with JR responding, "anything for you big guy." There has to be SOME advantage to it from the Canes perspective, the extent of which we are currently discussing.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
TheBigKahuna

^Well, he did bend over backwards....and forwards, to send Corvo away after Corvo made a "soft trade demand".

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
^Well, he did bend over backwards....and forwards, to send Corvo away after Corvo made a "soft trade demand".
Yes he did. I think most of us can agree that we all (for the most part) liked the look of our team AFTER the Kaberle signing and Corvo trade better than it was before. Granted, it didn't work out, but the Corvo trade was in no way ONLY for the benefit of the player in question.

If Stewart requested waivers or at least to leave, JR could have said no. If he felt having a player that didn't want to be here was detrimental to the team, he simply needed to find someone to trade him to. If there were no takers, rather than KEEP him on the roster, he could send him down. He didn't do ANY of these things, which is why I'm so damn confused.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
If Stewart requested waivers or at least to leave, JR could have said no. If he felt having a player that didn't want to be here was detrimental to the team, he simply needed to find someone to trade him to. If there were no takers, rather than KEEP him on the roster, he could send him down. He didn't do ANY of these things, which is why I'm so damn confused.
I think people are reading too much into this and totalkev is probably right. It's clear from JR's statement that Muller doesn't think Stewart fits into his plans. I don't think Stewart is detrimental to the team, but any player like Stewart would then want to move on since he isn't an integral part of the team going forward. JR probably would want to oblige rather than have a guy who is unhappy and due to make $1M next year. So maybe he tried to trade him and when there were no takers, put him on waivers so Stewart could catch on else where. Not unusual.

Now that he's passed through waivers, there's really no sense sending him down so you might as well still play him. It won't make the Canes materially better by replacing Stewart with some Charlotte guy short term and it won't help JR move Stewart down the road if he's down in Charlotte.

My guess is Stewart will be packaged as part of a deal later or will be traded close to the deadline for something small once teams determine where they stand and what their needs are. Getting him for free off waivers or for a late round pick is really no different.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

^ I think that's right on.

It sounds ridiculous to make roster moves at the player's convenience, but this organization also has a reputation for being very player-friendly and that's just about our only bit of leverage over bigger, richer markets.

If a guy wants to leave but doesn't get claimed on waivers, it becomes put-up or shut-up time. He can't sit moping anymore, and nobody on the team is going to listen to him talk about not getting a fair shake. If he ends up getting dumped to Edmonton for future considerations, it's nobody's fault but his own.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

OK fair enough, those are valid points.

It'll be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
TheBigKahuna

And it might have simply been a "get your head out of your posterior" move....with some hope that someone would grab him.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
^ I think that's right on.

It sounds ridiculous to make roster moves at the player's convenience, but this organization also has a reputation for being very player-friendly and that's just about our only bit of leverage over bigger, richer markets.

If a guy wants to leave but doesn't get claimed on waivers, it becomes put-up or shut-up time. He can't sit moping anymore, and nobody on the team is going to listen to him talk about not getting a fair shake. If he ends up getting dumped to Edmonton for future considerations, it's nobody's fault but his own.
That's just it. Placing a player on waivers is *not* a roster move. That was my whole point. It's just a procedure to prevent teams from stockpiling depth players that would have bigger roles on other teams.

Also, I didn't say JR put Stewart on waivers as a courtesy to Stewart. You guys made it personal. I said it's a *requirement* in league rules to ask waivers on a veteran player before he can be sent down or bought out to see if another team in the league is willing to take over his contract. I didn't mean to imply that Stewart asked to be waived. Waiver rules are built into the CBA so players don't have to ask for this stuff. It happens every now and then that a player will ask, but I'm not aware that it was the case in this instance.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Chrispy

Now that Stewart has cleared, how much time do the Canes have where they could send him down to Charlotte without putting him on waivers again? For instance, if the Canes put Stewart on waivers, play him tonight, and make a trade after tonight's game, could they then send him down to Charlotte to make space for players coming in without another round of waivers?

Just trying to wrap my head around the potential plan here.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Now that Stewart has cleared, how much time do the Canes have where they could send him down to Charlotte without putting him on waivers again? For instance, if the Canes put Stewart on waivers, play him tonight, and make a trade after tonight's game, could they then send him down to Charlotte to make space for players coming in without another round of waivers?

Just trying to wrap my head around the potential plan here.
That's just it, this wasn't done to complete a trade or anything like that. Muller apparently doesn't feel Stewart fits in with his plans. So JR put him on waivers to see if a team would pick him up. If a team did, no big deal as it makes room for a Checker, likely Brett Sutter. If he goes unclaimed, again no big deal. They'll keep him and continue playing him on the 4th line.

This was just one of those let's see if a team bites and gives Stewart an opportunity he isn't going to get here. If no one does, no biggie, we'll keep him.

Now that's not to say JR wouldn't bundle him with another player in a trade. Maybe do a dump for dump contract, but he'll probably want an expiring contract. Remember Yelle. He was placed on waivers, went unclaimed, then later on was traded.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
That's just it. Placing a player on waivers is *not* a roster move. That was my whole point. It's just a procedure to prevent teams from stockpiling depth players that would have bigger roles on other teams.

Also, I didn't say JR put Stewart on waivers as a courtesy to Stewart. You guys made it personal. I said it's a *requirement* in league rules to ask waivers on a veteran player before he can be sent down or bought out to see if another team in the league is willing to take over his contract. I didn't mean to imply that Stewart asked to be waived. Waiver rules are built into the CBA so players don't have to ask for this stuff. It happens every now and then that a player will ask, but I'm not aware that it was the case in this instance.
We have been hearing murmurs all season that Stewart isn't happy with his opportunity here. Well, this was JR providing a chance for him to go somewhere else. He can't say he's being buried or that he made a bad decision to come here.

Whether he asked for it or not, going unclaimed on waivers demonstrates that Stewart has exactly one NHL career option right now: play better for the Carolina Hurricanes.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote