HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Thoughts on Kevin Klein

View Poll Results: What do you think of Kevin Klein?
I like Klein 29 69.05%
I don't like Klein 10 23.81%
I couldn't care less 2 4.76%
Upshall's hair (for old times' sake) 14 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Your Thoughts on Kevin Klein

A lot of discussion about Kevin Klein is happening in the Jerred Smithson thread, so I thought I would dust off SLake's DDT (Daily Discussion Topic) prefix.

Kevin Klein is one of more polarizing players on the team. For the most part fans either love him or hate him. One side argues that Klein is one of the best shutdown defensemen for the money around. The other side will point out giveaways and defensive mistakes that result in scoring chances or goals for the other team.

So lay it all out here. Do you love him? Do you hate him? Do you really care?

edit: you can select multiple answers, so if I don't see a bunch of votes for Upshall's hair I will be disappointed

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He has the tools to be a decent dman, but his mental lapses and lack of IQ really take over any skill he has. Hes been the same player for years. Cant stand him.

And ppl think hes gonna change?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
predfan24

He's a whipping boy. He makes mistakes but he puts in hard minutes against the other team's top six forwards and he has been an anchor on the PK for a few years now. He's not perfect and there has been times in his Predator career where he hasn't played to his abilities. He has weaknesses and strengths just like nay player but this year his good play has far outweighed his bad when they stopped pairing him with Blum who was bringing him down.

If you can't see how a guy making 1.350 and playing as basically the 3rd or 4th defenseman effectively isn't a valuable asset to a budget team trying to sign three people to 7+million dollar contracts then I question your knowledge or you are just completely biased and you can't think rationally about the subject of Klein.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

He's a serviceable 2nd pair d-man on a great contract. He eats up big minutes ES and on the kill against quality opposition, doesn't take penalties, and occasionally chips in with an assist here and there.

No flash to his game, the occasional boneheaded mistake that gets ridden here like a roller coaster, but relatively solid.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
NoNecksCurse

money wise for what he brings I have no problem....

the problem is right now he is a fringe 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman..some nights I think "man, klein would make a great pairing with suter" .. the next night I want to strangle him and wonder how he is on the 2nd pairing. he has the tools to succeed, just too many brain farts

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
NoNecksCurse

also, didn't realize you had to put multiple options all at once. if possible add another vote for "i like him" and "upshalls hair"

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Like. Overall, I think he's progressed at least a little bit.

disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind after the Blues game tomorrow

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

i like him because his contract and dont mind him, until he pulls the most boneheaded moves ever. He really lacks hockey IQ but he can be sound most nights but when you notice him its in a terrible way. someones gotta be the whipping boy

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
He's a whipping boy. He makes mistakes but he puts in hard minutes against the other team's top six forwards and he has been an anchor on the PK for a few years now. He's not perfect and there has been times in his Predator career where he hasn't played to his abilities. He has weaknesses and strengths just like nay player but this year his good play has far outweighed his bad when they stopped pairing him with Blum who was bringing him down.

If you can't see how a guy making 1.350 and playing as basically the 3rd or 4th defenseman effectively isn't a valuable asset to a budget team trying to sign three people to 7+million dollar contracts then I question your knowledge or you are just completely biased and you can't think rationally about the subject of Klein.
Harsh post, but basically true.

Doesn't matter who the #3/4 guy is here in Nashville. He will always be the whipping boy. See Zidlicky, Zanon, Hamhuis, etc.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
No flash to his game, the occasional boneheaded mistake that gets ridden here like a roller coaster, but relatively solid.
Occasional? It happens way too much in my book. He may have cost us the Chicago series a couple years back, and he has FREQUENT lapses.

He belongs on the 3rd pair. Thankfully his contract isn't bad.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
VFL615*

Kevin Klein was drafted 37th overall in the 2003 entry draft (8 years ago)
Kevin Klein is currently a -7. His overall career with the Predators with 287 games is a -14. IMO after 8 years to get better and improve he has done neither. He makes to many mistakes for a guy who has 287 games under his belt. He is one of the weak links in this team and its pretty clear. It is not a matter of having something against him or looking for a whipping boy. Facts are facts and watching him play in person and on t.v. with the luxury of replays all the facts are pretty clear.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Kevin Klein was drafted 37th overall in the 2003 entry draft (8 years ago)
Kevin Klein is currently a -7. His overall career with the Predators with 287 games is a -14. IMO after 8 years to get better and improve he has done neither. He makes to many mistakes for a guy who has 287 games under his belt. He is one of the weak links in this team and its pretty clear. It is not a matter of having something against him or looking for a whipping boy. Facts are facts and watching him play in person and on t.v. with the luxury of replays all the facts are pretty clear.
using plus minus as your arguement as why he is a poor defender is dumb. the guy s a good 2nd pair dman. when you factor in his contract and the minutes he plays he is a very good fit for this club. do I need to link suter or weber getting undressed to show they are piss poor defenders? Klein does much more good than bad on the ice.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Occasional? It happens way too much in my book. He may have cost us the Chicago series a couple years back, and he has FREQUENT lapses.

He belongs on the 3rd pair. Thankfully his contract isn't bad.
Yeah .. the game that turned the Chicago series didn't go wrong with Weber and Suter on the ice along with Erat, and Arnott. Thanks for illustrating the whipping boy point.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
PredFan's first post is exactly how I feel. Moving him with two rookie Dmen putting in serious minutes as is would be crazy. I love to yell at him, but I love it even more when he makes a surprisingly nice play that I thought was beyond him. The latter actually happens more often than most think / seem to notice.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Top 6 Spaling

This is hard for me. A month ago, I hated him, but he's been better. I'm very neutral right now. I don't think he's a long term 2nd pair guy by any means, but he is a solid 3rd pairing guy for sure.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:46 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Toss up. I like Klein, but I like Upshall's hair. Although Klein usually stops people from scoring, I've never heard of Upshall's hair stopping anyone from scoring. It usually enables scoring.

I like Klein. Prone to mistakes just like anyone else, but the last couple months he's been playing pretty well. I think it helps he finally has a partner in Josi that is smart and compliments Kevin's skillset. Also I think this year he's being smarter with his shot selection. Instead of just firing it and having it blocked he's more apt to just throw it down the wall to the corners or look for tip-ins.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:19 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I used to hate Klein back when he was paired with Hamhuis. This year I'm impressed with Klein, for the most part. I think he looks better this year for some reason. It would not be good to get rid of Klein at this moment. Also, I think the Klein/Josi pair looks pretty good.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:33 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
using plus minus as your arguement as why he is a poor defender is dumb. the guy s a good 2nd pair dman. when you factor in his contract and the minutes he plays he is a very good fit for this club. do I need to link suter or weber getting undressed to show they are piss poor defenders? Klein does much more good than bad on the ice.
They are facts im sorry if they are not excepted. That is not the only thing i mentioned for my argument. The eye test is very important. Sorry but just because a guy is paid a cheap contract does not mean he is a good fit for this team. Wow, brings back thoughts of old Preds management. How is he a very good 2nd pair D-man? Please show the stats and examples of how he consistantly plays like a very good 2nd pair D-man?

You can link Suter and Weber if you want. I have already said that they make mistakes. However, they are clearly better than Klein and they make far less mistakes game in and game out than Klein does. Have you ever seen Weber or Suter with such poor position on a guy that they let him skate right by them on the boards to the net?

Old
02-04-2012, 08:43 AM
glenngineer

Something to ponder in all of this. Suter, Weber and Klein were all drafted in the same year. Say Klein developed a little faster than Weber and Trotz had Suter paired with Klein for the last 3-4 years, do you think we'd be saying the same thing about him AND Weber? Other than a size difference and bigger shot, Weber and Klein play pretty similar games, they are both prone to making mistakes with the puck but Weber has Suter to bail him out and Klein has had the likes of Hamhuis, Blum and now he has Josi, which IMO has solidified his play.

And to be perfectly honest, who has been on the ice for more goals since the break? Anyone notice Weber, Suter and Fisher go to a guy in the corner and leave Heatley alone for the first goal against Minny the other night? How about the other breakdowns that those two had against Minny? I'm not willing to throw them under the bus but they make a mistake or two and people ignore it, Klein makes a mistake and he's the worst defender in history. So many focus on only his mistakes. Do you actually watch the games? Do you see where he's blocked shots, cleared the puck from the crease as it's about to go in, take a guy wide reducing scoring chances? He's no angel and has his faults like most players but his mistakes get overblown and all the little things he does go unnoticed. Watch the game tonight, look for the little things he does, then get back to me.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
They are facts im sorry if they are not excepted. That is not the only thing i mentioned for my argument. The eye test is very important. Sorry but just because a guy is paid a cheap contract does not mean he is a good fit for this team. Wow, brings back thoughts of old Preds management. How is he a very good 2nd pair D-man? Please show the stats and examples of how he consistantly plays like a very good 2nd pair D-man?

You can link Suter and Weber if you want. I have already said that they make mistakes. However, they are clearly better than Klein and they make far less mistakes game in and game out than Klein does. Have you ever seen Weber or Suter with such poor position on a guy that they let him skate right by them on the boards to the net?
So basing things on facts, would you consider Joe Sakic a success or failure? He was a -102 for his first 3 seasons in the league. He ended up as a +30 for his career. Plus/minus is a decent stat but it does not tell the whole story. If Klein's partner was the one who made the bonehead play and a goal gets scored, Klein gets a minus 1. Is that a reflection of his play? No. There are times when he makes poor plays and he deserves the minus 1. To use that as a way to describe a player is silly.

Your eye test is important. I agree. Watch for the little things he does during a game and then repost. You'll see he does a lot more good out there then bad.

Old
02-04-2012, 08:57 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Something to ponder in all of this. Suter, Weber and Klein were all drafted in the same year. Say Klein developed a little faster than Weber and Trotz had Suter paired with Klein for the last 3-4 years, do you think we'd be saying the same thing about him AND Weber? Other than a size difference and bigger shot, Weber and Klein play pretty similar games, they are both prone to making mistakes with the puck but Weber has Suter to bail him out and Klein has had the likes of Hamhuis, Blum and now he has Josi, which IMO has solidified his play.

And to be perfectly honest, who has been on the ice for more goals since the break? Anyone notice Weber, Suter and Fisher go to a guy in the corner and leave Heatley alone for the first goal against Minny the other night? How about the other breakdowns that those two had against Minny? I'm not willing to throw them under the bus but they make a mistake or two and people ignore it, Klein makes a mistake and he's the worst defender in history. So many focus on only his mistakes. Do you actually watch the games? Do you see where he's blocked shots, cleared the puck from the crease as it's about to go in, take a guy wide reducing scoring chances? He's no angel and has his faults like most players but his mistakes get overblown and all the little things he does go unnoticed. Watch the game tonight, look for the little things he does, then get back to me.
I have been to about 10 games this year and i have watched every single other game on t.v. or stream. I will be there tonight and do not have to watch him like a hawk to change my opinion. His mistakes are not overblown he makes them to many times for a 37th pick with 287 games under his belt. Again like i mentioned before if you watch the games and watch when other teams score it is so funny how Klein is around way to much.

Yes, i did see that play behind the net you mentioned. IMO Weber and Suter have not played well at all since the all star break. Did you see the play after that where Klein fumbled and bumbled the puck behind the net and turned it over leading to the other Heatley goal? What about the one where he had the Minn guy one on one and let him go right by him along the boards to the net for a score? So much for him being good at taking guys wide from the net.

Your other post you can bring up all the random guys you want. Facts are facts and when the eye test and facts stink. Well it stinks.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
I have been to about 10 games this year and i have watched every single other game on t.v. or stream. I will be there tonight and do not have to watch him like a hawk to change my opinion. His mistakes are not overblown he makes them to many times for a 37th pick with 287 games under his belt. Again like i mentioned before if you watch the games and watch when other teams score it is so funny how Klein is around way to much.

Yes, i did see that play behind the net you mentioned. IMO Weber and Suter have not played well at all since the all star break. Did you see the play after that where Klein fumbled and bumbled the puck behind the net and turned it over leading to the other Heatley goal? What about the one where he had the Minn guy one on one and let him go right by him along the boards to the net for a score? So much for him being good at taking guys wide from the net.

Your other post you can bring up all the random guys you want. Facts are facts and when the eye test and facts stink. Well it stinks.
All I can say is glasses. I've watched Klein since the day he arrived. My eyes say something completely different than yours.

So say we jettison him away, who fills his spot in the lineup? You want Hillen or Boullion on the second pairing? That's what Trotz would do.

And for all the talk that he's not very good, if he wasn't, why does Trotz keep putting him out there and have him on the PK? Hmmmmm, yeah, he sucks.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
All I can say is glasses. I've watched Klein since the day he arrived. My eyes say something completely different than yours.

So say we jettison him away, who fills his spot in the lineup? You want Hillen or Boullion on the second pairing? That's what Trotz would do.

And for all the talk that he's not very good, if he wasn't, why does Trotz keep putting him out there and have him on the PK? Hmmmmm, yeah, he sucks.
I have 20/10 in both eyes so nah i am good on the glasses part. I challenge you to back and watch the video highlights from one game, the last one. Watch Klein in the first quarter highlight where they almost scored. Why was Klein out of position and behind the guy who without the post would have scored? Why did he try to make a move like he is Stamkos against a good player for the other team and end up getting undressed and scored on?? Why in another 3rd period highlight did Klein let TWO players get between him and the net and almost get scored on again???

That is just ONE game! Sure Klein does not always make a mistake that ends up in a score nor does he get undressed everynight. However he is out of position A LOT and he makes it harder for other players and goalies because of his lack of ability.

Trotz is well known for giving guys to long of a chance and letting his vets play. Klein is a vet and trotz is cautious to play young guys as much as vets.

Easy fix. Line 1 Weber/Suter. Line 2 Josi/Bulls Line 3 Ellis/Klein(with limited minutes against 4th line 0 power play)

Old
02-04-2012, 09:42 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

It's amazing how much better Klein has been since Blum went to Milwaukee. He's a +4 with 9 points (2g/7a) since 1 Dec.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

It doesn't really matter what his stats are or what his career improvement (or lack there of) has been. The bottom line is do we like him right now, in this situation? People justify him because he has a good contract and because we have no better options for a 2nd pairing d-man right now but that's more like him earning the job by default. I think in a perfect world our defensive corps would be stronger than it is currently and Klein would be a good 3rd pairing guy. I'm not going to rip the guy apart but I wish he was a 'good 3rd pairing d-man' rather than a controversial 2nd pairing one.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote