HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are some decent skates for street hockey?

Old
12-01-2013, 07:38 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
What are some decent skates for street hockey?

Looking to get some new roller blades. Haven't bought any in a dozen years. They will mainly be used for street hockey on a basketball court and regular skating on concrete. Looking to keep the price under $150. What is decent for skating outside?

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
I just got the Bauer Vapor's X60R for relatively little ($180 or so), but I just use them to practice in the backyard while shooting. They are nice though, to the point that I am eyeing Vapors for my ice skates, too.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Being in Michigan, you should have some good retail options. The best thing to do is to find a store with a good range of selection and try all skates in your price range and pick the one that fits best. All of the brands fit differently.

The key key thing to look for is the hardness of the wheel. For playing outdoors you should have at least a 78A or 80A durometer rating for durability. Luckily, you needn't stress this part as almost all skates on the lower end of the spectrum have outdoor type wheels.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 06:44 AM
TCNorthstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Being in Michigan, you should have some good retail options. The best thing to do is to find a store with a good range of selection and try all skates in your price range and pick the one that fits best. All of the brands fit differently.
You would think. There is only one hockey store close to me and I am not sure if they even carry inline.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:51 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah eh, weird. I think Perani's has some stores. Big box and/or local?

Well my point stands that you should get the best fit, but if you can't try them on anywhere...

What ice skates do you have/like the fit of?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
You would think. There is only one hockey store close to me and I am not sure if they even carry inline.
Yeah roller isn't that big up here in the U.P. either so even the local Perani's doesn't have a big selection, but we just got a indoor roller rink so that could change.

As for skates they are a little spendy but I got a pair of Mission AC4 Inhalers at the end of the summer for $200 and I love them. Very comfortable and they have great airflow to keep your feet dry. Just my 2 cents.

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:00 AM
TCNorthstars

Quote:

Well my point stands that you should get the best fit, but if you can't try them on anywhere...

What ice skates do you have/like the fit of?

I wear NikeBauer Supreme 50's on the ice. Where I am situated, I am at least 140 miles away from any place that might have more than one pair of skates!

Old
12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
smcgreg

Quote:
He's in Traverse City, about as far away as you can get in the lower peninsula, a good 3+ hr from the concentration of hockey retail in MI. It's feast or famine. Now, if you're in Novi, hockey retailers are like Tim Hortons, one on every corner seems like. Nice problem to have though.

Still, this time of year, not much selection for inlines. I was in the TH in Troy two months ago and inline was thin. The Peranis in AA doesn't have any inline right now and never really has much.

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Ozz

There's a Play It Again Sports in TC - have you checked them out? You can, with lucky timing, score killer deals. They also have new equipment but generally on the lower end of the spectrum. Though for just street hockey, that might be just what you need.

Play It Again Sports
1251 South Airport Road
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-929-1870

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
smcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
There's a Play It Again Sports in TC - have you checked them out? You can, with lucky timing, score killer deals. They also have new equipment but generally on the lower end of the spectrum. Though for just street hockey, that might be just what you need.

Play It Again Sports
1251 South Airport Road
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-929-1870
That's actually a pretty good idea. PIA typically has decent selection for new (better than Peranis here) and depending on what they have for used where you are, you can try on lots of options to at least get an idea what you like.

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 04:47 AM
TCNorthstars

I don't recall them having any inline when I was in there buying my son his first pair of ice skates a few weeks ago, but will check them out again or give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion. I totally forgot about PIAS!