HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Places for shinny in North York?

Old
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
tetra
Rookie User

vCash: 83
Places for shinny in North York?

Hey guys,

Been lurking around for a while and finally getting back into hockey. I bought myself a pair of Bauer Vapor X5.0 and love them. I was looking around and had trouble finding rinks/parks in the North York (GTA) area that allow no full equipment to play.

I understand most places require gloves and a helmet at the minimum which is fine. I'd like to play a bit before buying full equipment and possibly joining a league.

Anybody know any good spots to go play with minor equipment in the North York area?

(Apologies if posted in the wrong area).

tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:30 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra View Post
Hey guys,

Been lurking around for a while and finally getting back into hockey. I bought myself a pair of Bauer Vapor X5.0 and love them. I was looking around and had trouble finding rinks/parks in the North York (GTA) area that allow no full equipment to play.

I understand most places require gloves and a helmet at the minimum which is fine. I'd like to play a bit before buying full equipment and possibly joining a league.

Anybody know any good spots to go play with minor equipment in the North York area?

(Apologies if posted in the wrong area).
Try Chesswood Arena, and or York Canlan,

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:32 PM
tetra
Rookie User

It appears all Canlan rinks require full equipment from what I read on their site.
Chesswood arena will do shinny without full equipment?

Old
12-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Pog Form

Most, if not all, of the outdoor city rinks are now open for the season. You can check out the website here for ice times: http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/ska...ckey/index.htm

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
JZCislesHockey

vCash: 50
What is shinny?

JZCislesHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
tetra
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Most, if not all, of the outdoor city rinks are now open for the season. You can check out the website here for ice times: http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/ska...ckey/index.htm
Awesome thanks Pog Form. Do all the outdoor rinks have the same equipment regulations?

Old
12-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Pog Form

I think helmets are "mandatory" though not always enforced.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
What is shinny?
It is essentially pond hockey. Ice hockey played without full equipment. At the very least it is just your skates and a stick. I am sure most if not all today people wear gloves for warmth and protection. Idk if there are official rules and if they enforce more equipment but I am sure most people today also wear a helmet.

From there I would say you could wear shin pads but that is really it. Anything else and your basically playing pick up ice hockey.

No goalies I believe. Instead there is a wooden/whatever material wall where the goal line would be and there is a hole about the size of a puck (i think ive seen two to three holes in some videos on a wooden board). So basically there is no high shots.

The nature of the game is to have a free flowing, full skilled version of hockey keeping the puck flat on the ground I guess besides saucers.

Summary Short- Its hockey played with very little equipment and no goalies.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 05:37 PM
tetra
Rookie User

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Gonna play a bit of shinny and then hopefully in a league once I get these soft hands back.. lol