HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Looking for a bit of advice.

I have Bauer One50's (I think) I got them in college back in 07 and I loved them, but the back portion that supports your heal is tearing so I guess it's time to move on. Looking to get a good mid-to high end skate. Not looking to get top of the line and hoping to keep my cost to the 300 range. I'm a fairly decent B level beer leaguer. Any suggestions?

Old
09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
AIREAYE

Same advice as always, echoed time and time again : get the skates that fit best in your price range.

Come back if you have any more questions after trying on different skates, good luck!

Old
09-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I forgot to post here about the One100 I bought.

It literally took 3 drop-in games to break in. It's comfortable, feels very durable and the stiffness is just right for me.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:51 PM
nwharris74

Question for you all...

At what point should I upgrade to a stiffer boot and what benefit will it bring? Currently I am using some CCM Vector 03s. I've had them for about two and a half years. I don't really have any complaints about them other than they are starting to look worn down. I am a decent skater but I am wondering if I'm being held back a bit by my skates or if that is even the correct approach to take.

Thank you!

Old
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
RoninNYR

Ok so after trying on a lot of skates, i realized something... I fail the pencil test every single time..

I have a higher than normal arch I guess, and now it makes sense why my arch kills me when i overtighten my current boots to make up for them being broken down.

What boot fits a large arch?
Will going custom (bauer) solve this problem?

TIA

Old
09-28-2012, 08:08 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
Ok so after trying on a lot of skates, i realized something... I fail the pencil test every single time..

I have a higher than normal arch I guess, and now it makes sense why my arch kills me when i overtighten my current boots to make up for them being broken down.

What boot fits a large arch?
Will going custom (bauer) solve this problem?

TIA
did you try on the nexus 1000's as well? those are supposed to be a bit deeper fitting than the rest of the nexus line which are already some of the deeper fitting skates on the market(maybe AIR will chime in on that one).

if not, you can try checking out graf 709 and G70's.

custom will solve the issue, but you really need to competent fitter and plan on tacking on another $100 or thereabout. being in nj though, you can go see peter at the ice house pro shop in hackensack. won't find much better than him.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:35 PM
AIREAYE

If you have arch issues, I would give a footbed insert a try (highly recommend Superfeet Yellow for that) before considering new skates. For your next series of skate fitting trials, I would include this footbed (again, Superfeet if you can) as part of the fitting process. Customs probably won't be necessary at this point.

thedonger brings a good point; have you tried Nexus? Keep in mind that the 1000 and 800 fit differently, I would try the 800 first.

Have you tried the current CCM line?

Old
09-28-2012, 09:36 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
Question for you all...

At what point should I upgrade to a stiffer boot and what benefit will it bring? Currently I am using some CCM Vector 03s. I've had them for about two and a half years. I don't really have any complaints about them other than they are starting to look worn down. I am a decent skater but I am wondering if I'm being held back a bit by my skates or if that is even the correct approach to take.

Thank you!
If the boot is folding inwards (heck, or even sideways) or have softened up to the point that you do not believe in the support level any more, then a new pair is needed. They may very well be holding you back.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:55 PM
RoninNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you have arch issues, I would give a footbed insert a try (highly recommend Superfeet Yellow for that) before considering new skates. For your next series of skate fitting trials, I would include this footbed (again, Superfeet if you can) as part of the fitting process. Customs probably won't be necessary at this point.

thedonger brings a good point; have you tried Nexus? Keep in mind that the 1000 and 800 fit differently, I would try the 800 first.

Have you tried the current CCM line?

Good tips I will buy the superfeet for my current skates this week, and try on nexus next time.

Edit- I am weary of CCM because I heard of breakdown issues.

One more question (sorry I am really stumped by these issues i'm having)...

I played Thursday after not playing for a week, my skates couldn't be less comfortable, I untied and re-tied them 4x to no avail, too tight or too loose in the wrong places. I had no power on my stride whatsoever and I was getting gassed.

Played next day (different rink) my skates were a little moist but they fit like a glove, I was tearing it up skating like my usual self. What gives???

Should I be wetting my skates if I have not skated in a while? This jeckyl and hyde fit of my skates is very perplexing and my game is a complete 180 depending on which fit shows up.

p.s. thanks for the help, it's so frustrating

Old
09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
AIREAYE

Give it another couple skates I suppose, that shouldn't happen.

The current CCMs are fine.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:19 PM
RoninNYR

Well the thing is i've had these skates for over a year now and it always happens. Will try CCM too

Old
09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
AIREAYE

Try your best to eliminate variables and evaluate the recurring ones I suppose. Let us know how your fitting experience goes.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:04 AM
RoninNYR

Does playing barefoot increase the breakdown of the boot?

I play barefoot and the nice shiny outside of my bauer vapor x4.0 are very yellow in color.

I am trying skates this week, if i spend a decent amount of $$ i'll sacrafice going barefoot to save the boot some wear.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:14 AM
AIREAYE

I would imagine so, more sweat is making it's way into key areas such as the rivets.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
RoninNYR

Air, I took a look at the CCM line but their ankle area and boot overall is way too wide.

I went with the Total one NXG. Will report after the weekend but they felt nice

Any tips on the best (most hydrophobic) or best absorbing THIN socks?

TIA as always

Old
10-09-2012, 07:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Air, I took a look at the CCM line but their ankle area and boot overall is way too wide.

I went with the Total one NXG. Will report after the weekend but they felt nice

Any tips on the best (most hydrophobic) or best absorbing THIN socks?

TIA as always
Excellent! Those should mold quite well to your feet. Let us know please!

I haven't tried a lot of socks tbh, others will give you better opinions. I'm not a fan of UnderArmor however.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I finally got a skate that fits excellent, the reebok 20K. I got the white version for a steal from europe, awesome awesome heel lock.
They are softer on the upper portion compared to Bauers which I need to adjust to a bit, but more paddings, which I like.

This guide helped me in describing my preferences to the reebok rep, thank you for that

Old
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
RoninNYR

Does anyone know about sharpening skates for the first time??

I am absolutely positive the 16yo kid COMPLETELY did the wrong thing, my brand new skates were sharpened in under 5 minutes, i know this is wrong.

Did he possibly do any damage to my steel?

Old
10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Does anyone know about sharpening skates for the first time??

I am absolutely positive the 16yo kid COMPLETELY did the wrong thing, my brand new skates were sharpened in under 5 minutes, i know this is wrong.

Did he possibly do any damage to my steel?
It should take a lot longer than 5 minutes especially for the first time. The skate edges should feel smooth. Run your finger across them. If you draw blood, their not sharp, or your pressing way too hard. The bottom should be shiny and a concave should be noticeable. Best bet is to take a pic and post it here or on MSH.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Pog Form

I hope I'm putting this clearly, but I have a question about rocker radius and how much it can be altered based on skate/holder/runner size.

To give you context, I am currently wearing size 10.5 Bauer Supreme One95 skates and am pretty sure I have a 9' rocker on them. I'm going to be getting new skates soon and will likely be going down a half or full size.

So my question is this: will the steel on a smaller skate (in this case, let's say it's the same skate but one full size smaller) be shorter than the steel on the larger skate? And, if so, will the difference be great enough to allow me to get a radius that's smaller than 9'?

I hope that makes sense!

Old
10-11-2012, 03:47 PM
ArrogantOwl

Nope, although every couple of sizes changes the size of the holder and the overall length of the boot, the radius stays relatively the same. Think of it as a piece of pie. If the pie has a 9' radius, any portion of the crust will have the same radius, however the length will change, or with a skate, how much skate you have on the ice.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Dario

I'm going to buy new skates for recreational skating. I don't play hockey but love to skate. Would higher level Bauer skates (like Vapor X3.0) make any difference for recreational skating compared to entry level (like X0 or Nexus100)? Thanks!

Old
10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
I'm going to buy new skates for recreational skating. I don't play hockey but love to skate. Would higher level Bauer skates (like Vapor X3.0) make any difference for recreational skating compared to entry level (like X0 or Nexus100)? Thanks!
Yes, they will be more supportive (stiffer) and as a result, will last longer in general. Good question, though you still need to get the right fit.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Dario

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yes, they will be more supportive (stiffer) and as a result, will last longer in general. Good question, though you still need to get the right fit.
Thank you Air
Right you are about fit. I have here Reebok 4k and Bauer One40 on discount. Are those two in the same league?

Old
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
Thank you Air
Right you are about fit. I have here Reebok 4k and Bauer One40 on discount. Are those two in the same league?
Yessir they are, anytime

Closed Thread