HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFlyersFan View Post
It happens from the moment I lace up my skates, it's a constant pressure that gets worse the longer I'm on the ice.
It sounds like the ankle padding simply isn't the right fit for your foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
Well, it's update time:

Today I spent a few hours at the local shop trying on skates. The selection was limited, so I tried some size 8 Reeboks, which were way too big, and some size 7 Bauer Supreme One.20s which were well below what I'm looking for in just about every way. Then I tried some size 7D (called 7R in Japan) One.4s, which felt ok, except my toes were a bit crunched when I stood up (not simply brushing the toe cap). Just for kicks I tried some 6.5EE Supreme One.6s, and, oddly enough, they felt better, and longer than the One.4s, but gave just a bit too much lateral wiggle room at the widest part of my foot. Lastly, I tried on some Vapor X.4s, but didn't like the feel.

So, I'm going to order some Supreme One.6s in a 7D. With what I know from this thread and what I learned today at the shop in relation to my feet, I think the size sevens will be ok (and 7.5s would be too big), and if they're not, then I'll just have to go through the hassle of exchanging them. I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of buying skates online and would have loved to have bought from my local guys, but their supplier had no size sevens available. Ah well, now I'll just have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

One plus is that they are $400 here, but are half that online. After paying for shipping from my parents' place and another $30 for the local guys to bake and sharpen them, I save a little bit.

Aireaye: Any more words of wisdom (or dissuasion) before I place my order?
Not much, I've never bought skates online but just make sure you understand the online store's return policy. I'm glad you are willing to pay up to get them baked and sharpened locally as well. That's important.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Thanks Aireaye -- Yeah, I have 150 days to return (which is plenty of time to get them to Japan and back if necessary), they can't be sharpened, and I have to have all the original packaging in brand new condition. Pretty straight forward, so I'm gonna go for it.

One last note, I'm getting the pretentious white ones (which I know you're not a huge fan of), and while I think they're slightly flashy, they're fun (and I wanted some Fedorov's when I was a kid). Besides, this is Japan. Some of the fashionistas I've seen on the ice here you'd never see outside of Asia. And the white One.6s look way better than the One.9s (I don't like those ones).

Thank you very much for all your help, sir! Wish me luck that I don't have to exchange them!

Old
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
AIREAYE

LOL did I actually say on here that I didn't like them? You're absolutely right but I don't recall saying it here. If so then thanks for reading through the thread before asking. I'm aware that hockey fashion stigmas here might not apply there haha.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:01 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Nah, you mentioned not liking the One.9 LEs in a thread specifically pertaining to them: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275975 Hahaha!

On a side note: One thing really don't like about new skates is the exposed plastic toe cap. I'm going to miss my cloth-covered caps (and how the snow sticks to them and make my toes cold).

Old
01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
vapor11

I had picked up a pair of vapor x:60's recently and I had some issues that were noticeably lately where I would get foot pain on the bottom ball of my foot on both feet to the point I would feel it walking around after the game..

Looking at the design of the x:60 footbed it raises the heel and arch of the foot slightly to put you in a more forward stance.. so what I did was swapped footbeds from my vapor x3.0's.. which has more of a no frills flat footbed and it is night and day.. my skates feel so much better and no footpain.. I felt great out there last night

Old
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
AIREAYE

The X:60 or 3.0 footbeds do nothing for your stance. That is the cut of the boot combined with the holder/steel setup.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
vapor11

What I ment was that the x:60 footbeds use thicker foam in the heel/arch area causing alot of pressure to be directed to the front of my foot.. but in my case switching to the evenly flat x3.0 footbed solved my issue

Old
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Snipeshow

I haven't bought new skates in about 10-12 years and lord knows skates have changed a ******** in that time.

I'll be on a $300-$400 budget. I have a wide ass foot, EE boot, and have been told Graf's are good for that (been using Vapor XXX).

Trying to get the best value for that price obviously.

I tend to skate on my heels more (had orthotics when I was younger, but grew out of them), no idea if there are skates out there that help with that. I doubt it.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I haven't bought new skates in about 10-12 years and lord knows skates have changed a ******** in that time.

I'll be on a $300-$400 budget. I have a wide ass foot, EE boot, and have been told Graf's are good for that (been using Vapor XXX).

Trying to get the best value for that price obviously.

I tend to skate on my heels more (had orthotics when I was younger, but grew out of them), no idea if there are skates out there that help with that. I doubt it.
Vapor are one of the worst skates for wide feet because they are one of Bauer's narrow models. Graf have many different models for many different foot shapes. Bauer Nexus are a wide model which you could consider. Obviously, the best idea would be to try as many different models of many brands to find the one that fits your foot best.

Concerning the orthotics issue, a great idea would be to get molded Graf Sidas Custom Hockey Pro Footbeds for whatever skates that you end up buying. I have them and while they aren't cheap at around $130/pair, they are one of the best gear purchases I've ever made.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Vapor are one of the worst skates for wide feet because they are one of Bauer's narrow models. Graf have many different models for many different foot shapes. Bauer Nexus are a wide model which you could consider. Obviously, the best idea would be to try as many different models of many brands to find the one that fits your foot best.

Concerning the orthotics issue, a great idea would be to get molded Graf Sidas Custom Hockey Pro Footbeds for whatever skates that you end up buying. I have them and while they aren't cheap at around $130/pair, they are one of the best gear purchases I've ever made.
I wouldn't say that, it depends on the extent of the width and ankle.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
3koma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good advice here^. Cheung, see if you can try a Bauer Supreme skate in a size 6 and 6.5. If you found discomfort on your internal mall., the more 'anatomical' shaped padding in the Supremes and Easton skates should help. A 'D' width Supreme skate should feel wider than a 'D' Vapor and same with EE. Definitely heat mould if you can.
Hi guys,

i end up pick Easton RS skates and due to 6.5ee out of stock, so i pick 7.0ee. After i try them on, they are more roomy than i expect. The width fit good and length just a bit long.thank you for all your advice.
i do have one more problem, i would like to give them a shot to brake them.but there is no such service in my city (Hong Kong), i hear my teammate told me that some of you guys will brake them by oven at home.right?
Would you mind to advise how to progress at home by oven?

thank you

Old
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
AIREAYE

No, I would never ever advise it. I would break them in naturally.

What you can try is to have the skates on tightly, identify any uncomfortable spots and warm it moderately with a hairdryer and once warm, squeeze in with your hands to get a better wrap.

Any method of heating them yourself will void the warranty.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post
What I ment was that the x:60 footbeds use thicker foam in the heel/arch area causing alot of pressure to be directed to the front of my foot.. but in my case switching to the evenly flat x3.0 footbed solved my issue
The footbed inside the X60's is a thin piece of foam with graphics on the top. First thing I do when I buy skates is change out the footbed, a thin piece of foam doesn't cut it.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Filth e mcnasti

vCash:
I know this is for hockey skates but I need roller help bad!! Please help me!!

Ok, so I have a pair of Bauer xr2 skates which are 8.5 size and r width. I have been using them for about 15-20 games.

They hurt the outsides of my feet to the point where I cannot skate at all, and that's only with very thin hockey socks and with them tied only snug in the lower middle boot.

I've tried to have them stretched and I've used yellow super feet but It feels like my foot is in a vice grip on the outside. I don't know what to do I can't skate this way. I've had them baked twice FYI

I'm thinking about trying out some 7k reeboks as well since reeboks run wider

Old
01-26-2013, 02:38 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The footbed inside the X60's is a thin piece of foam with graphics on the top. First thing I do when I buy skates is change out the footbed, a thin piece of foam doesn't cut it.
Before I swapped footbeds I was looking into the yellow superfeet but they seem to be designed the same way.. thicker in heel/arch(maybe more thick then x60's footbed).. although I have never seen one in real life just researched online

I am not saying using a flat no frills footbed is going to work for everybody but it did for me.. 3 pickup games in and no footpain, previously I had pain on the ball of my foot and it would be noticeable next day while walking around

Old
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filth e mcnasti View Post
I know this is for hockey skates but I need roller help bad!! Please help me!!

Ok, so I have a pair of Bauer xr2 skates which are 8.5 size and r width. I have been using them for about 15-20 games.

They hurt the outsides of my feet to the point where I cannot skate at all, and that's only with very thin hockey socks and with them tied only snug in the lower middle boot.

I've tried to have them stretched and I've used yellow super feet but It feels like my foot is in a vice grip on the outside. I don't know what to do I can't skate this way. I've had them baked twice FYI

I'm thinking about trying out some 7k reeboks as well since reeboks run wider
Dumb question, but could they be the wrong use skate? I have the same skates, and after about three uses I had no problem with them and they fit fine. I know everyones foot is different but maybe you just need a bigger size?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Dumb question, but could they be the wrong use skate? I have the same skates, and after about three uses I had no problem with them and they fit fine. I know everyones foot is different but maybe you just need a bigger size?
No, too many people think that going up a half or full size will help their width issue. It simply creates another problem of a skate that's too big.

Figure out the correct size length wise, then figure out the width based on different boots.

Filth E, it seems that you have diagnosed your own problem; the skates are too narrow. Definitely try Reebok. Missions from the past few years are close to Supreme, which should run a little wider than your Vapors but not as much as Reebok. Try some of those as well.

Although I have not seen Alkali or Tour or the other specialty roller companies, I have heard good things, especially about Alkali.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
filth e mcnasti

Quote:
No, too many people think that going up a half or full size will help their width issue. It simply creates another problem of a skate that's too big.

Figure out the correct size length wise, then figure out the width based on different boots.

Filth E, it seems that you have diagnosed your own problem; the skates are too narrow. Definitely try Reebok. Missions from the past few years are close to Supreme, which should run a little wider than your Vapors but not as much as Reebok. Try some of those as well.

Although I have not seen Alkali or Tour or the other specialty roller companies, I have heard good things, especially about Alkali.
Somehow my account got deactivated earlier?? I don't know how..

Anyhow..Yeah I have had them stretched out and it's very frustrating because it robs me of all my ability. I tried the missions I didn't like them. I think I want to try the reeboks again, I think those would help maybe in a size E.

I have regular ankles and a fat foot. I hope its the skate, and not my foot kind of pushing the outside of the skate. I've tried the superfeet, and they didn't help at all, so I don't know, I really want to get this figured out it's been almost 20 games, and it's killing me out there.

I just don't know how to figure out my correct foot width. I wish there was a better measuring tool then the one at the store you know, but we'll see I guess. Thanks for the advice!

Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
Might sound like weird question but here it goes. Bought skates awhile ago. Played a few games in them and they fit great... I thought. As it turns out (I don't know how this fact alluded me) one of my feet is wider than the other. I've never had an issue with shoes or boots or anything. My question is: if I take them to where I got them, is there anything they can do? The problem is that after a period or so (this doesn't happen every game) it starts to feel like my skate is crushing my foot. Usually I take my skate off between periods to try and alleviate some of the pain. I mean, it's nothing I can't play through but it is annoying.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by filth e mcnasti View Post
Somehow my account got deactivated earlier?? I don't know how..

Anyhow..Yeah I have had them stretched out and it's very frustrating because it robs me of all my ability. I tried the missions I didn't like them. I think I want to try the reeboks again, I think those would help maybe in a size E.

I have regular ankles and a fat foot. I hope its the skate, and not my foot kind of pushing the outside of the skate. I've tried the superfeet, and they didn't help at all, so I don't know, I really want to get this figured out it's been almost 20 games, and it's killing me out there.

I just don't know how to figure out my correct foot width. I wish there was a better measuring tool then the one at the store you know, but we'll see I guess. Thanks for the advice!
I don't believe that there is a reliable width measuring device other than whatever they do to custom boots. Not even on the brannock. I have never ever had to or wanted to use that width thing on the brannock. It's much easier to eyeball it and to listen to customer feedback.

If Reeboks don't work, do a little more research on roller-only brands like Alkali, Revision, Tour etc.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recast View Post
Might sound like weird question but here it goes. Bought skates awhile ago. Played a few games in them and they fit great... I thought. As it turns out (I don't know how this fact alluded me) one of my feet is wider than the other. I've never had an issue with shoes or boots or anything. My question is: if I take them to where I got them, is there anything they can do? The problem is that after a period or so (this doesn't happen every game) it starts to feel like my skate is crushing my foot. Usually I take my skate off between periods to try and alleviate some of the pain. I mean, it's nothing I can't play through but it is annoying.
Did you bake them when you first got them? What skates are they?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Recast

Quote:
I don't believe that there is a reliable width measuring device other than whatever they do to custom boots. Not even on the brannock. I have never ever had to or wanted to use that width thing on the brannock. It's much easier to eyeball it and to listen to customer feedback.

If Reeboks don't work, do a little more research on roller-only brands like Alkali, Revision, Tour etc.

Did you bake them when you first got them? What skates are they?
Yes. CCM U+.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
filth e mcnasti

Quote:

That's okay man, I may just visit a podiatrist to see if my feet are just funny or something. Thank you though the advice has been helpful!

Old
01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recast View Post
Yes. CCM U+.
U+ what? High end? low end?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Recast

Quote:
U+ what? High end? low end?
Sorry, High.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
AIREAYE

If the other boot is just fine, you can rebake just the problem boot at the store. What you would do differently this time is that immediately once you have both (baked and unbaked) skates on laced snugly (you don't have to lace the other boot, just have it on), stand up and remain standing for about 3-4 min after. You can sit back down for the remaining 6-7 minutes for cool down, or remaining standing if you wish. Just be sure not to walk around or shift your weight too much. The natural widening of your feet should help 'push out' the side walls slightly in the warm boot. Be a little more generous with the heat this time around. Supplement with a light heat gun treatment along the problem areas if you feel that you need the extra help.

Last resort is to get the skate stretched permanently to widen out that boot. The bake should help however, so give that a go first.

Closed Thread