HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 09:32 PM
LarryO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Bauer Next 600.

My Reebok 6K's finally gave in when the laces tore right through the top eyelet and boot. So decided to upgrade and try out the new Bauer Nexus line. The Supreme and Vapor never fit my weird shaped feet, and I've always wanted Bauers but had to stick with Reebok and CCM due to fit. But the Nexus fit like a glove.

Super comfy! Which is my biggest deciding factor. Great fit for my wide-ish feet after baking, I got 8D's (was 8E for my Reeboks). Once I put in my superfeet insoles they were amazing and pain free.

Support is so much better. I feel like I'm skating in a pair of skates I have no business owning for my skill level, and it might be the placebo effect but feels like they make me a better skater.

Love em! So glad Bauer decided to widen their product line to accommodate different fits.
They didn't really widen their product line that recently. The Nexus (all but the 1000) are the same fit as the previous Bauer Flexlite and Bauer/Nike Flexlite. It's great that you found the right fit. I went from RBK to Flexlites too and the fit was much better.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:50 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
They didn't really widen their product line that recently. The Nexus (all but the 1000) are the same fit as the previous Bauer Flexlite and Bauer/Nike Flexlite. It's great that you found the right fit. I went from RBK to Flexlites too and the fit was much better.
Thanks for the clarification!

I think my LHS didn't carry Flexlites, or only the top model outta my price range. When I got my 6K's they only had Vapor and Supremes in my $ range, both of which in D and E hurt as soon as my foot was in them. I was bummed because I had my heart & head set on walking out with Supreme One70's.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:23 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Bauer Next 600.

My Reebok 6K's finally gave in when the laces tore right through the top eyelet and boot. So decided to upgrade and try out the new Bauer Nexus line. The Supreme and Vapor never fit my weird shaped feet, and I've always wanted Bauers but had to stick with Reebok and CCM due to fit. But the Nexus fit like a glove.

Super comfy! Which is my biggest deciding factor. Great fit for my wide-ish feet after baking, I got 8D's (was 8E for my Reeboks). Once I put in my superfeet insoles they were amazing and pain free.

Support is so much better. I feel like I'm skating in a pair of skates I have no business owning for my skill level, and it might be the placebo effect but feels like they make me a better skater.

Love em! So glad Bauer decided to widen their product line to accommodate different fits.
have you taken a puck of them yet? i had the same issue as you and found nexus' fit my feet perfectly, and am picking up a pair soon.. im just concerned about protection

Old
07-14-2013, 11:37 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
have you taken a puck of them yet? i had the same issue as you and found nexus' fit my feet perfectly, and am picking up a pair soon.. im just concerned about protection
Not yet. The guard on the middle of the tongue seems tougher than my 6K's. toe cap is about same protection wise. The sides I'm not sure, the outer material feels a bit softer/flexible pressing with my thumb, but if I squeeze the two sides together with my hand then the Nexus actually feels much stiffer than my 6K.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Hockey4Me

Hey Guys Quick question. I am thinking of upgrading from CCM U6s to Bauer Vapor 5.0 or 7.0. I recently tried my friends Vapor 4.0s and loved them. Is there a big difference between the 5.0 and 7.0?

I weigh 215 lbs, so I know a stiffer skate is better, but I am still working on my skating, it is below average. I skate about 4 -5 hours a week.

Would going from CCM U6 to Vapor 5.0 be a good upgrade or should I go with the 7.0, this way I make one big upgrade and have skates that last for a long time?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AIREAYE

Well, you've got to make sure they fit the best firstly. CCM and Vapor fit quite differently. There is a good jump from the 5.0 to 7.0. The 7.0 is a pro-level skate with pro-level stiffness. Huge jump from your U+06. The 5.0 is a good upgrade as well. Try out the skates first.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Hockey4Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Well, you've got to make sure they fit the best firstly. CCM and Vapor fit quite differently. There is a good jump from the 5.0 to 7.0. The 7.0 is a pro-level skate with pro-level stiffness. Huge jump from your U+06. The 5.0 is a good upgrade as well. Try out the skates first.
I tried out a Vapor 4.0 and skated on it for about 5 hours. I really liked the fit and feel. Do the 5.0 and 7.0 fit slightly different from the 4.0.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:18 PM
AIREAYE

They'll feel different in the sense that they're higher end versions of it, but keep the same general fit characteristics. Still good to try on both models and walk around in them. Spring for the 7.0 if you don't find it too stiff, as it will last longer for you than the 5.0.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Captain Serious 19

My Vapor x4.0 skates do not fit my right foot at all and I do not like the feel of them anymore. Is investing over $700 in a pair of APX 2 skates worth it? Will they last a while?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Jisatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Serious 19 View Post
My Vapor x4.0 skates do not fit my right foot at all and I do not like the feel of them anymore. Is investing over $700 in a pair of APX 2 skates worth it? Will they last a while?
Make sure you fit them first. If a pair doesn't fit, no matter how much they cost, they will be worthless

Old
07-16-2013, 04:26 AM
God
Free Citizen

So I've been thinking of buying a new pair of skates. My current pair are Nike Quest2, which I got 10 years ago. It's starting to wear a lot and I'm guessing skate technology is improved enough to make it worthwhile getting new skates.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what current skate model they're most like. The size I'm wearing is 9EE, and while the heel fits pretty well I think there's a little too much room at the toe because I can wiggle the front of my foot side to side and inch it forward a bit. (As an aside - exactly how much room should be at the toe?)

Right now I'm looking at some higher end clearance models. The Reebok 11k and CCM U+CL are on sale locally for 350-370, Easton S17 and EQ50s are 300, and I think all of the Vapor APX line is on sale (not sure what price) because of the release of the APX2. I know that I need to try all of them on before making a decision, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Do any of those skates wear easily?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
So I've been thinking of buying a new pair of skates. My current pair are Nike Quest2, which I got 10 years ago. It's starting to wear a lot and I'm guessing skate technology is improved enough to make it worthwhile getting new skates.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what current skate model they're most like. The size I'm wearing is 9EE, and while the heel fits pretty well I think there's a little too much room at the toe because I can wiggle the front of my foot side to side and inch it forward a bit. (As an aside - exactly how much room should be at the toe?)

Right now I'm looking at some higher end clearance models. The Reebok 11k and CCM U+CL are on sale locally for 350-370, Easton S17 and EQ50s are 300, and I think all of the Vapor APX line is on sale (not sure what price) because of the release of the APX2. I know that I need to try all of them on before making a decision, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Do any of those skates wear easily?
I would guess Nexus for the Nike comparison.

As for the sizing question, refer to the first page, where I outlined what a perfect fit for an adult would be.

All are good skates you listed and all would be a big upgrade coming from where you are. The APX would be the stiffest, followed by the S17, EQ50, U+CL and 11K. Can't go wrong with whatever fits the best. Those are great options.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:48 AM
greatwhiteshark

New Skates

Right now I have the Graf G65 (Regular Fit/7.0) skates. I have used Graf for about 6 years now, and I think I'm ready to change brands. The problem with Grafs is that they feel really heavy on my feet and after a shift my feet always end up sore for reasons unknown. I want to find a new pair but I don't know which model will have a similar fit to the Graf G65s. The two skates I'm interested in are the Bauer APX and either the CCM Crazylights or the new RBZ. What do you guys think I should do?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
AIREAYE

Easy, try on different fits and pick the one that fits the best.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark View Post
Right now I have the Graf G65 (Regular Fit/7.0) skates. I have used Graf for about 6 years now, and I think I'm ready to change brands. The problem with Grafs is that they feel really heavy on my feet and after a shift my feet always end up sore for reasons unknown. I want to find a new pair but I don't know which model will have a similar fit to the Graf G65s. The two skates I'm interested in are the Bauer APX and either the CCM Crazylights or the new RBZ. What do you guys think I should do?
APX is a very narrow skate (vapor line). CCM CL is more like the supremes and the RBZ is the new kid on the block and has a different fit than CL. the RBZ has a wider toe area. The CCM skates have good thermalmolding

Performance wise, all very similar. Pro-level, extra stiff skates. Depending on your ability and your budget, consider getting 1 level down that might give you a better deal. the CL are on sale right now because of the RBZ. Just as good skates.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Hacker10

Quote:
Great deal! I like an Easton fit as well.
With the EQ line discontinued, do you know if any of Easton's othe skates offer a similar fit?

Old
07-17-2013, 09:03 AM
AIREAYE

Not anymore. The flagship Mako is supposed to mold extremely well, but the RS fit has branched off a bit (I offer my view on its fit on the first page).

Comparing to EQ though, I would take a look at Vapor, Supreme and RS.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark View Post
i was a life long graf user and bought new G65's last year, i had to get rid of them as they wrecked my ankles and gave me bursitis. I got some Bauer Supreme9.0 and they are a dream so far. my foot was a little too wide for the apx but i love these skates and will probs never go back to graf.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:14 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i was a life long graf user and bought new G65's last year, i had to get rid of them as they wrecked my ankles and gave me bursitis. I got some Bauer Supreme9.0 and they are a dream so far. my foot was a little too wide for the apx but i love these skates and will probs never go back to graf.
One.9?

Old
07-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
Well, after going from Graf 705's, to Bauer One70's, with an attempt at a pair of Graf G5's, it appears I have Easton feet.

The local and not-so-local Play it Again Sports like to bulk order close-out from the major brands, so they have had EQ50's for just over $200. I tried them on, and they feel made for my weird feet. They have a narrow heel, narrower than the Supremes, and open up towards the forefoot. A very pronounced \/ shape. Baking made a big difference, too.

They appear very well built. Previous Eastons, like the S17's, seemed kinda flimsy to me.

I can't wait to try them out during my Wednesday game. I've heard the Easton steel doesn't hold an edge very well, but we'll see.
Skated in the EQ50's for the first time last night.

For the first time since I got back into the game 4 years ago, my feet didn't hurt or were sore by the end of the game.

I'm still getting used to the different 'feel' of them compared to the Bauers I was wearing, and they'll need to work in a bit, but so far very satisfied.

Old
07-18-2013, 05:42 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
One.9?
lol yes sorry

Old
07-18-2013, 08:58 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
finally got to skate in my nexus 800's

it feels so nice to skate in properly fitted skates.. it took some time to get used to them as they skate like vapors as opposed to supremes, but after 20 minutes i felt like a much better skater.. feet still a little sore but it was my first skate so ill wear em in

only negative is that they are heavier then my supreme one100's, which is kinda disappointing after dropping another 600

if you have any doubts about your skates' fit, get it fixed.. you wont regret it

Old
07-18-2013, 10:01 PM
PS12

Man. Eq50s. I like them but they dont feel deep enough. Theyre still better than my nike quest v10s ive been using. Bought those about 10 years ago. Size 6 D skate.

My eq50s are 4.5 EE.

They fit better than the nikes. Still dont have a solid heel lock with the right skate. And they hurt like hell for the first few skates because they were a little tight on the width.

Bought em for 120 bucks since they were on sale and they're junior size skates.

Bought them cuz they were cheap and i wanted to see how eastons sizing felt since im leaning towards the mako but the ccm rbz has me intrigued.

I can probably go size 4 in the eastons and i still need to get fitted.

My gf saw me skate in the eq50s and said i looked a lot faster. She was amazed that a skate could make that much of a difference. The eq50 is very stiff compared to the nike v10.

Im 175 lbs and i try to practice good skating form every chance i get.

I understand its still fit fit fit and i cant wait to try the full moldabilty of either the rbz or mako.

The great thing about junior skates is theyre a lot cheaper than senior skates.

The bad thing ive found is that unless you use bauers, its not easy to find upgraded replacement steel since the demand isnt there and companies like blackedge start from a certain size for skate brands that arent popular.

Last edited by PS12: 07-18-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Lbs
Old
07-18-2013, 10:03 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
finally got to skate in my nexus 800's

it feels so nice to skate in properly fitted skates.. it took some time to get used to them as they skate like vapors as opposed to supremes, but after 20 minutes i felt like a much better skater.. feet still a little sore but it was my first skate so ill wear em in

only negative is that they are heavier then my supreme one100's, which is kinda disappointing after dropping another 600

if you have any doubts about your skates' fit, get it fixed.. you wont regret it

Glad to hear the nexus worked out for you too. From another guy who has a hard time finding skates that fit his weirdly shaped feet.

Mine hurt the first game out, but when I swapped the insoles for my Superfeet that I had in my 6K's, zero pain and better support. Maybe give those a try. The Bauer insoles are just a thin sheet of foam, not much support for the back half of your foot.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:15 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
I would guess Nexus for the Nike comparison.

As for the sizing question, refer to the first page, where I outlined what a perfect fit for an adult would be.

All are good skates you listed and all would be a big upgrade coming from where you are. The APX would be the stiffest, followed by the S17, EQ50, U+CL and 11K. Can't go wrong with whatever fits the best. Those are great options.
Thanks. I'm gonna hopefully get something tomorrow after trying on a bunch.

Closed Thread