HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I don't "%#$&@" get it!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
I don't "%#$&@" get it!!!!!

How does Jason Labarbera tear up the AHL last year and begin to tear it up this year and manage to completely stink when he gets up to the NHL!!! HE SHOULD BE AT LEAST A BACK-UP!!!

Old
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Let's leave a little more to the imagination in that thread title Rancid.

As for Labs, it's a different game. NHL is much faster and the skill of the players is much higher. Being behind a Ranger defense doesn't help. Maybe with a few regular starts, he could get in the rythym. At this point, I don't think he's gotten a good enough look to make an assessment.

Old
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Fletch

Uh...

huh? First, the guy really hasn't had an NHL chance (four games, and I believe there was some mop-up work too). He played in a game in which the defense in front of him completely sucked (wasn't it a 9-something drubbing against Ottawa?). He let in a couple softies, but with the barrage that he was hit with, it's no wonder. Second, he's still young and it's not uncommon for goaltenders to hit their stride after their 25th b-day. Look at a guy like Legace, for starters. Third, it ain't the AHL. There is an adjustment and not everybody can make it.

I'm just hoping that he can contribute in some way, and am not making any predictions, personally.

Old
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
NYR469

2 things...

1)it shows just how drastic the jump is from the AHL to the NHL

2)it shows just how much better the pack's defense is than the rangers...labarbera doesn't put up those #s by himself because he is hung out to dry, the pack play great team defense in front of him too

Old
10-28-2004, 11:40 AM
True Blue

Theree's nothing not to get. Kind of like the Chad Wiseman argument going on in another thread. Some players are just not NHL material. The AHL IS NOT the NHL. I know that SOS & PLD may get tired of this, but again, there's a reason that Jeff Toms could be a very good scorer at the AHL level but not at the NHL level. Ken Gernander is a VERY GOOD AHL player, but not even waiver fodder at the NHL level.
Labarbera played very well at the AHL. But most of us saw rather quickly that the kid does not APPEAR to be NHL material. Valiquette is another. Some people can raise their play to match the level of the bigs and some cannot.

Old
10-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
The AHL is very different from the NHL. Labarbera is decently sized and okay positionally, but his weak glove hand, huge rebounds, and slow as molasses lateral movement get picked apart by NHL shooters.

Here's a list of the players voted to be the best AHL goalie from 1984-2000:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/awards/...p3?award_id=52
Not exactly a who's who of top flight NHL goaltenders. In fact, only one has gone on to anything more than moderate success at the NHL level, and that's Jim Carey. Outside of him, you have a couple of backups, a few guys that could be borderline #1 goalies, and a bunch of minor leaguers.

Old
10-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
The AHL is very different from the NHL. Labarbera is decently sized and okay positionally, but his weak glove hand, huge rebounds, and slow as molasses lateral movement get picked apart by NHL shooters.

Here's a list of the players voted to be the best AHL goalie from 1984-2000:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/awards/...p3?award_id=52
Not exactly a who's who of top flight NHL goaltenders. In fact, only one has gone on to anything more than moderate success at the NHL level, and that's Jim Carey. Outside of him, you have a couple of backups, a few guys that could be borderline #1 goalies, and a bunch of minor leaguers.
Marty Biron and Félix Potvin have had more than just moderate success at the NHL level. Potvin had a few very good seasons back in his Toronto days, and say what you will about Biron, he's one of the better young goalies in the league and has proved himself as a starter. I'd argue that both have had better careers than Carey, Vezina or not.

What's more telling about these two and Carey: they all won the award very young, around 21-22. Most of the others (except that other Rangers prospect, Corey Hirsch), were older when they won.

Labarbera is still young, but I don't think he's young enough to turn his game around to become an NHL-goalie. I see a very J-F Labbé-like future for him: which is not the NHL, but it is a good career.

Old
10-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Marty Biron and Félix Potvin have had more than just moderate success at the NHL level. Potvin had a few very good seasons back in his Toronto days, and say what you will about Biron, he's one of the better young goalies in the league and has proved himself as a starter. I'd argue that both have had better careers than Carey, Vezina or not.

What's more telling about these two and Carey: they all won the award very young, around 21-22. Most of the others (except that other Rangers prospect, Corey Hirsch), were older when they won.

Labarbera is still young, but I don't think he's young enough to turn his game around to become an NHL-goalie. I see a very J-F Labbé-like future for him: which is not the NHL, but it is a good career.
Potvin had a couple of good seasons, and then faded to a borderline #1 because of consistency and mental toughness issues. I'd consider that moderate success. At least Carey was dominant in his short stint. Biron has been handed Buffalo's #1 spot for a couple of years and has not been able to secure the position. As good as Miller and Noronen can be, if Biron could earn the trust of his teammates and prove to be a consistent #1, their goalie situation would be set.

Old
10-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Potvin had a couple of good seasons, and then faded to a borderline #1 because of consistency and mental toughness issues. I'd consider that moderate success. At least Carey was dominant in his short stint. Biron has been handed Buffalo's #1 spot for a couple of years and has not been able to secure the position. As good as Miller and Noronen can be, if Biron could earn the trust of his teammates and prove to be a consistent #1, their goalie situation would be set.
I can see your point. Neither dominated or ever will dominate the way Carey did that one season (such a strange career that guy has).

Who won for best goalie in the AHL last year? Lehtonen? I think that now that more and more goalies are coming for Europe and NHL teams put them in the AHL to get used to smaller rinks and the American playing style, we'll see more and more future NHL stars play full seasons and win awards in the AHL. Nowadays it seems that most great goalies only play a short stint in the minors before they get to the NHL.

Old
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

he is the modern day rick knickle

Old
10-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I can see your point. Neither dominated or ever will dominate the way Carey did that one season (such a strange career that guy has).

Who won for best goalie in the AHL last year? Lehtonen? I think that now that more and more goalies are coming for Europe and NHL teams put them in the AHL to get used to smaller rinks and the American playing style, we'll see more and more future NHL stars play full seasons and win awards in the AHL. Nowadays it seems that most great goalies only play a short stint in the minors before they get to the NHL.
Labarbera won it last year. Roloson, Prusek, and Lamothe won it in the years prior, so there's one more goalie who has become successful in the NHL, but the track record for the award isn't that impressive.

Old
10-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Labarbera won it last year. Roloson, Prusek, and Lamothe won it in the years prior, so there's one more goalie who has become successful in the NHL, but the track record for the award isn't that impressive.
That's right, I knew that.

Old
10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:

He's also slow as all hell getting up after giving up a rebound. Another thing you want to consider is the "quality" of shots in the NHL. If the AHL players shot as good as the NHL players, they'd be in the NHL.

Closed Thread