HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Should Morrow be traded by the Deadline?

View Poll Results: Should Morrow Be Traded by the deadline?
Yes 25 96.15%
No 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
txdude5101

vCash: 500
Should Morrow be traded by the Deadline?

Do you think Morrow should be traded at the Deadline, to a team that has a chance at winning a cup this season?

Quote:
. A pair of high-profile guys are forwards Brenden Morrow and Mike Ribeiro, and both have been the subject of trade rumors.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=614872

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Bennrocks

Should, Yes

Will, no

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

If the right offer comes. Everything points to him being worth a lot, TSN reports many teams are interested and will pay top price for him. But I don't know if Nieuwendyk will make him available so we can start to get these offers.

Last edited by Faidh ar Rud Eigin: 02-06-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Morrow yes, Ribeiro no.

Like the others, though, I don't see Nieuwy taking that final step and trading his captain. We're essentially in the same spot we were last year, so even if Morrow's stock continues to plummet, it wouldn't surprise me to see GMJN hang on to him for this playoff push.

02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Yes.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Alistar

Yes to both, let's get some new blood in here for the next season.

If other teams are willing to offer something better than scraps there's no reason not to take advantage.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Given the circumstance of his injuries and being put on IR, maybe they want him to be healthy for the trade deadline.

Just my 2 cents but yeah i think they should trade him but i don't think they will.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

One of Morrow, Ribeiro, or Robidas should be traded.

Ribeiro simply because his return would be the highest. I have nothing against his play this season.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Depends. If a good deal comes along, then sure, but he shouldn't be traded just to make a trade.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Should, Yes

Will, no
This.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Depends. If a good deal comes along, then sure, but he shouldn't be traded just to make a trade.
I think Vancouver would pay more than scraps. They'd probably overpay, considering the situation they are in. They were very close last year and adding Morrow could put them over the top, particular in a physical series. It's pretty important Vancouver wins something while the Sedins are still firing on all cylinders.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I don't want to see him get traded because he has been a great player for us since he started his career with us on and off the ice.

But all good things have to come to an end I guess .. I will be sad for sure if he gets traded, but I wanna see him win a cup and I don't think he will get one with us at this point of his career.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
I don't want to see him get traded because he has been a great player for us since he started his career with us on and off the ice.
Actually I think Morrow is part of the culture of whiners. He was vocal about the Avery thing, which was ridiculous and derailed a season. And he's got to be the Captain that refs tune out the most because he's always waving his arms around like a chicken on his way to the box.

Morrow would be great on an established veteran team with leadership, but as a go-to guy during a youth movement, I'm less than impressed. Plus his play has been pretty so-so for a few years so even the on ice part doesn't make me think he's a required cog for the Stars moving forward.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Should, Yes

Will, no
This. /endthread.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Dallasman

I'd trade BOTH Morrow and Riberio if I could.
I think both players would get you decent returns.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Should, Yes

Will, no
Should he? It depends on the return. I've got no problem moving him for a good package, but I don't think we'll get any strong offers.

I'm not buying the media hype about BM being highly in demand. Considering the year he's is having, I would highly doubt the competency of any GM who would pay highly for him. It's not just lack of goals or points - he looks slow and ineffective. If I were a competing GM, I'd think twice about offering a 2nd round pick for him.

If the packages we're offered are weak as I expect, then I say we should just keep him. Think of this.. If he comes back looking more like the old Morrow next year, his trade value would be much higher. On top of that, he'll be a pure rental, which means more teams would be willing to take on his contract.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Morrow yes, Ribeiro no.
Agreed.

Trading both creates two huge holes for next season as well, and it seems like finding another center to replace Ribeiro will be difficult.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I think Vancouver would pay more than scraps. They'd probably overpay, considering the situation they are in. They were very close last year and adding Morrow could put them over the top, particular in a physical series. It's pretty important Vancouver wins something while the Sedins are still firing on all cylinders.
They are a great target. The window on their Sedin-Luongo combo is closing. They have no reason to build for a future.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Trading Morrow creates no hole at all, he's not a useful player. He has negative on-ice value right now especially considering he leads the league in minor penalties.

I'd trade ALL of Morrow, Ribeiro, and the UFA's if the return was adequate for each.

Odds are if you trade Ribeiro and some other things you end up with a guy coming back who can play center in the top six by next season. It would have to happen if you traded him.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
He was vocal about the Avery thing, which was ridiculous and derailed a season.
What? He was the only one that WASN'T vocal during the Avery mess. Whenever asked his comments were "he's a teammate, I'm not going into it", or close to it. Morrow was the only player that showed even an ounce a class during that mess.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
Quote:
What? He was the only one that WASN'T vocal during the Avery mess. Whenever asked his comments were "he's a teammate, I'm not going into it", or close to it. Morrow was the only player that showed even an ounce a class during that mess.
I'd be interested in seeing some interviews in print or video of the whole incident from other Stars if anyone has any.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Didn't Avery single Morrow out as being the one of the few guys that he didn't have a problem with during his stay down here?

When he was coming back after the Rangers grabbed him I seem to remember him getting interviewed and saying that. Also think he called out Turco and Modano in the same interview.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Avery pretty much pointed the finger at Modano and Turco, but Morrow was the team captain at that time. Did Morrow sit by quietly while Modano and Turco tore the team apart? Did Morrow try to put a stop to it?

When Avery was first signed, Morrow's comments were not exactly the welcoming endorsement you normally see for a new teammate. There was an obvious bias against Avery from Morrow from the start.

Quote:
"I have said 'hate,' and I imagine if we wouldn't have signed him, I would have said I still hate him," Morrow said Thursday. "But he's a teammate now, and I'll admit that I don't really know him other than what I see on the ice. So now we need to get to know each other and work together as teammates."

Morrow said it is now his job - and the job of his teammates - to let Avery know what's acceptable.

"There are things here that we will talk about," Morrow said. "We feel we have something special going on here, and we feel we are a good team. And I have no problem with what he does as a player or how he works hard or gets people upset. But some of the stuff that makes the individual more important than the team, that's not something we want to see here.
Is that classy? I'd say no.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Did Morrow sit by quietly while Modano and Turco tore the team apart?
I think everyone knew that Morrow and Avery didn't like each other before he got here. But really. Think about that question above.

Modano could do whatever he wanted, however he wanted, whenever he wanted. And Turco was Morrow's best friend. I can't imagine either one them listening even if Morrow had tried to do something.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
WTF are we bringing up the Avery debacle? How were any of the Stars players not named Avery to blame for his douchebaggery? Guy was a dick from day one of training camp doing his lone wolf thing. If anything I preferred the veterans who realized he was a cancer and wanted him gone. He was the antithesis of everything Dallas Stars.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote