Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Evander Kane.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
Evander Kane.

I'm guessing he'll be signed in the off-season.

Does anyone have a ball park as to what he will fetch in the off-season?

As is is now he makes $900,000 a year with $2,200,000 in bonuses. I highly doubt he's cashing in on any bonuses.

Wheeler makes $2,450,000 this year and next.

Would Kane fetch close to the same as Wheeler, or more or less?

And, the bottom line, do you think he'll re-sign here?

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 769
My concern is losing him when he becomes a UFA, I don't think he'll be lost to an offer sheet. Based on production I think around Wheelers amount sounds right, but I would certainly bump it up if he's willing to sign a longer deal. Out of everyone on the team I think Kane is the most likely to leave Winnipeg.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
DarkReign

vCash: 500
If he scores 30 this year, even as a RFA, his agent will start the conversation at $4 million per year.

30g players cost $4 million to start, doesnt matter if they are RFAs or not. If the Jets have any want to keep him long-term, they'll have to pony up the $$$.

My guess.

BTW, Wheeler scored 20g once in his career, his rookie year. He isnt on track to score 20g this year either. Kane is 5 years younger, iirc, too. Bad comparison, IMO.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
peg

vCash: 50
I'd like to sign him to a long term deal full of incentives. These should include bonuses for paying his bills and generously tipping serving staff even when they are not deserving, and for praising Winnipeg and saying how much he loves it here every time he is interviewed.

Seriously, we have a raw gem in Kane with great skill. Once he gets it all figured out he has the potential to be an elite power forward and should be part of our core for years to come.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

i dont think his cap hit will change very much to be honest.
3.5 a year would be about my guess

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm guessing he'll be signed in the off-season.

Does anyone have a ball park as to what he will fetch in the off-season?

As is is now he makes $900,000 a year with $2,200,000 in bonuses. I highly doubt he's cashing in on any bonuses.

Wheeler makes $2,450,000 this year and next.

Would Kane fetch close to the same as Wheeler, or more or less?

And, the bottom line, do you think he'll re-sign here?
He's a restricted free agent with no artibitration rights I don't think. He's in the same boat that Bogo was this past offseason. He doesn't have that much of a choice not to sign here. Anywhere he signs the Jets will have the right to match. And an RFA signing somewhere else virtually never happens.

All assuming the next CBA is similar to the current one.

In terms of money depends how long a contract we're talking. If the contract extends into the time he would be a UFA it will be more, if its short term 2 to 3 million a year. Turris signed for $1.4 million a year as an RFA. Kane has been better than Turris but they are in that same high draft pick, haven't reached potential yet category. A similar contract to Bogosian wouldn't surprise me. $2.5 a year average. Show us what you've got before you hit UFA status and at that point you'll get money.

Last edited by cheswick: 02-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
surixon

Agreed. Id like to lock him up for around 4 to 5 years around the $3.5 million. Its looking like he probably wont break 30 this year or hit 50 points, so he probably wont be able to ask for 4+ million.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

The Illegal Curve guys did a pretty in-depth analysis on their website not too long ago.

http://illegalcurve.com/2012/01/26/e...-value-part-1/

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

beat me too it JDz

great piece by the IC boys

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
It would be nice to see him sign here long term, he probably will be a 40 goal scorer at some point in his career. Kane should be given 4+ mil if he signs long term 5+years.

I guess we can only hope he sticks around.

I know earlier in the season when all the trade rumors were popping up, Kane was asked about it and he said he "would like to play here (winnipeg) for a very long time"

Give him what he wants.

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

my quote button is not working?

I would be mildly suprised to see Kane get a long term deal this summer (4 years). My guess is that TNSE will try to get Evander into a two year deal this summer in the same way they did a deal with Bogo this past summer for 2 years. either way he is a RFA for four years so we have options in the future and in the mean time we can pay market rate.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Im up and down on him, hes been showing a bad reputation towards Winnipeg and yet hes doing fairly well for the Jets. I would maybe give him a 2 year deal worth 3.5 million or see if Chevy could do a Kessel like deal to a fairly poor team at the draft, like a 1st in 2012, 13 and 14, 2013 2nd, prospect and player for Kane, I can totally see it happening, and really hope it does.

I see either Montreal, NYI, Anaheim or Columbus doing it.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

a bad rep...really?

How has he been "showing a bad reputation to Winnipeg?"

If anyone should be ashamed of "showing a bad reputation" it's the fans here in Winnipeg that jump on rumor mongered bandwagons about players behavior that's been completely unproven.

I really hope this guy doesn't get traded as it's obvious he's going to turn into a great NHLer, at worst a decent second liner, the same cannot be said of any number of draft picks, a fact too many arm chair GM's simply choose to overlook. Not only that, but trading good young guys like Kane to gamble on something better, only sets the rebuild back farther and does little for this organization.

EDIT: Furthermore to reference the Kessel deal, the current Jets franchise is in an extraordinarily different place then the Boston franchise at the time they dealt Kessel, not to mention that your banking a lot on A)overpayment by the trade partner, B) it not paying off for them resulting in "high" draft picks. The Kessel deal wouldn't have been such a steal if Toronto didn't flounder to second last the year it did.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
my quote button is not working?

I would be mildly suprised to see Kane get a long term deal this summer (4 years). My guess is that TNSE will try to get Evander into a two year deal this summer in the same way they did a deal with Bogo this past summer for 2 years. either way he is a RFA for four years so we have options in the future and in the mean time we can pay market rate.
The 2 year prove your worth contract is a very conservative approach, and definitely has a place in team planning, but it has some major draw backs if it is utilized all the time. With the Cap teams need be willimg to role the dice on some of their young players and lock them up long term. If you sign all your young players to short term contracts, you run the risk of all of them improving and being able to demand a lot of money on their third contract (i.e. have to buy more ufa years, they are eligable for arbitration) See Nashville with regards to their predicament with Weber and Suter. If we sign Kane to a short term contract we will have all of Kane, Wheeler and Bogo up for new contracts within a year of each other and its looking like Bogosian amd Wheeler will be in for sizable raises if they keep developing as they have this year.

Kane has improved every year and I feel he would be a good bet to live up to a long term contract.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet
(...) hes been showing a bad reputation towards Winnipeg (...)
How? Is it because of the unsubstantiated rumours that continue to be spread?

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

It's best that Chevaldayoff signs him up quickly after the season, wether Winnipeg are in the play-offs or not. Kane is going to ask for at least double the money he's on right now and I reckon that when you look at the similar players on his level of point production he'd be signing for around $3M

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
sully1410

Give him a good contract. There's no way I'd trade our top scorer for a handful of picks that may or may not be as good. Not unless a Sidney Crosby clone was in the draft any ways...

Hopefully he gets healthy soon and gets back to help our offense.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
How? Is it because of the unsubstantiated rumours that continue to be spread?
haha cmon man if you want to believe that these are just rumors that is your call but ill have to disagree with you on the fact that they are only rumors

bigplay41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
haha cmon man if you want to believe that these are just rumors that is your call but ill have to disagree with you on the fact that they are only rumors
Got proof that you can post?

Old
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I understand that when discussing a player, his attitude, community involvement, and desire to stay in the city/ with the org. is paramount to contract discussions.

Please do not fuel unsubstantiated Twitter garbage here, or what you heard from your sister's bf's brother's gynecologist's bartender.

You can talk about the rumours in the most general sense. Let's not fuel this ridiculous high school like gossip going on in cyberspace here.

When you wonder to yourself why the world needs reputable news sources instead of just blogs/ Twitter, the Kane fiasco should be evidence enough.

Personally, I hope Kane can stay dark on social media, and just focus on being a better hockey player and teammate. If he can do that, I could see something like 5 years 20MM.

If he doesn't grow up somewhat then I would try to swap him for a young sniper.

02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
In today's world where everyone under 30 has a phone that can take high quality video in their hands 24/7 I have yet to see any prof of him being a d!ck in public.... So yeah I do think 99% is all BS

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Personally I would like to see Kane sign the same type of "show me what you can do" 2 year contract as Bogo. He may be able to get a bit more than Bogo, but not much. My guess is approx 3 million unless he is pushing 40 goals this year. After 2 years you still have 2 more years of RFA, which keeps the jets in the drivers seat.

The worst length of contract would be 4 years as you set him free the first year of free agency eligability, which is poor asset management IMO.

The other option is sign him long-long term (7+ years) this summer for big bucks, that is usually reserved for the truley elite you never want to lose (Crosby, Malkin & Ovi types, but even that can come back and bite you).

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Got proof that you can post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
In today's world where everyone under 30 has a phone that can take high quality video I have yet to see any prof of him being a d!ck in public.... So yeah I do think 99% is all BS

that's fine like i said you guys are entitled to your own opinions, do i have proof of him? no i do not, but i will be really shocked if he signs any contract extension with the Jets just do not see it happening.

bigplay41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
In today's world where everyone under 30 has a phone that can take high quality video I have yet to see any prof of him being a d!ck in public.... So yeah I do think 99% is all BS
Agree with you 100%

There's no way that there would be no evidence out there - the world is WAY too small and connected today, and someone would LOVE to have "the scoop".

Old
02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Unless his production goes off a cliff in the remaining games, he'll probably finish with 30 goals. 30 goal scorers get paid $4M a year minimum and teams pay for potential.

I'm afraid those saying $2.5M are being overly hopeful.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote