HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

the refs

Old
02-06-2012, 05:47 AM
kimmofan44

vCash: 500
the refs

i know it seems wrong to have a thread to complain about something as childish as bad referee's but, we have been he recieptiants of a ton of non calls in big games(boston jersey and ny) and some questionable calls(both against and for the flyers)
is it possible that the game has been made so fast in recent years that refs simply can't make decent calls on a routine basis anymore?
is it time to impliment a challenge rule? one challenge per game if you lose you get a 2 min delay of game?
whats everyone think?

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i know it seems wrong to have a thread to complain about something as childish as bad referee's but, we have been he recieptiants of a ton of non calls in big games(boston jersey and ny) and some questionable calls(both against and for the flyers)
is it possible that the game has been made so fast in recent years that refs simply can't make decent calls on a routine basis anymore?
is it time to impliment a challenge rule? one challenge per game if you lose you get a 2 min delay of game?
whats everyone think?
Challenges just dont work in hockey or basketball. To be honest, the definition of every penalty is really up to the ref's judgement. There are some penalties that are automatic penalties but so many others are hard to define. That is why Hockey will always have varying degrees of reffing.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Xegiie

well we can easily say refs been 3rd team in past 2 games..

missing obvious tripping and instead of going 5v3 getting scored on is slaughter

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The Flyers lead the league in PP minutes/60:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team_...+8+9+10+11+12#

They're the only team over 7 minutes.

They're third in SH min/60.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
pelts35.com

I know as a fan of a team it's hard to see, but bad calls happen both ways and I truly believe that, in the end, they even themselves out over a 82 game season.

It's easy to complain when a bad/missed call is made against your team, but it's very rare to hear a fan say a word when a bad/missed call helps your team.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I know as a fan of a team it's hard to see, but bad calls happen both ways and I truly believe that, in the end, they even themselves out over a 82 game season.

It's easy to complain when a bad/missed call is made against your team, but it's very rare to hear a fan say a word when a bad/missed call helps your team.
I have to say that you're absolutely right, but we have had some of the more memorable ref mess-ups in recent regular season memory.

That doesn't dispute your point, but it just sucks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post

Exactly. For every bad call against the Flyers, there is a bad call against the opponent. Maybe not in the same game, but I've heard opponents complain about the refs when playing the Flyers just as much as people complain about the refs when the Flyers lose (see: the final minutes of the 2012 Winter Classic). Very rarely are the refs actually determining factors in the outcome of the game. It does happen, but over the course of a season, there are bad calls both ways, very few of which actually alter the final score.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Gibbs18

I was pissed beyond belief when giroux gets tripped on the pp and then they go down and score a shorty (devils game) and the penalty shot giroux should have had yesterday against the rangers.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:05 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

The refs blew the NJ game.

Bryz blew the NY game...though the refs didn't make it any easier.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
StandingCow

Yes the refs were bad, but the Flyers didn't really do much to deserve a win in either game. The entire team was bad in the NJ game, and Bryz and our D sucked in the Rangers game. The refs were just another part of the failure over the weekend.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
WeekendAtBernies

I for one do not understand why they don't just add a referee in a booth with a wall of tv screens to observe everything and "review" calls. The review could easily be completed by the time the play is ready to resume.

If a penalty is going to be called, it takes a solid 45-60 second stoppage to call the penalty, talk to the coaches, get the player in the box, and resume the game.

In the case of a "missed" call (ie. a player is hooked and the on ice refs miss it) the play continues as normal until the replay ref sees the foul, confirms it, and informs the on ice referees via an in-ear bluetooth headset.

This kind of thing already happens when a goal is scored but it isn't ruled a goal on the ice. Play continues until a stoppage, and then the play is reviewed in Toronto. The only difference is that the current method takes forever to complete while having a dedicated referee with a wall of screens would be much, much quicker.

Having a ref with a wall of screens could also improve the quality of the on-ice officiating. For example, an on-ice referee who is unsure of a penalty could communicate what he thought he saw to the replay man and seek confirmation.

I think it is an idea that should definitely be looked into. It would be really nice to have a dedicated video ref for each NHL game. Whenever there is a controversial goal, the play could be fully reviewed and a decision ready to go by the time the refs finish breaking the players up and talking to the coaches. The current system takes forever. First the refs have to restore order on the ice, then they huddle to discuss the call, then they go to the box and get the headset, then they call Toronto, then Toronto has to bring up multiple angles and make a decision and then the refs relay the decision.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:18 AM
pughater

you cant control what the refs do. you just have to play your game. Capitalize on your chances. when you dont thats when it comes back to haunt you. Ask the Patriots what happened last night.

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:29 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Am I the only one that doesn't think the D did terrible yesterday?

They had a few turnovers, with the worse being from jackass Matt Carle.

Other than that, what did/didnt they do that cause the goals?

I can't honestly think of a single one.

One from the point got in.
One from a weak ass backhander from a sharp angle got in.
A easy shot from the dot got in.
Then you had Carle.

Numerous times in the first and 2nd, Bryz made some solid initial stops and our D was right there to clear the puck away.

I mean, outside of Carle, which ones do you exactly want to blame on blown defensive coverage?

If you want to blame Bourdon for the dot wrister, don't. I'm betting if he got in the way or tipped it, all the Bryz fans would be blaming a deflection or screen.

He left Bryz see it the entire way and limited the shot to a sharp angle, exactly what the D is suppose to do.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:32 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't think the D did terrible yesterday?

They had a few turnovers, with the worse being from jackass Matt Carle.

Other than that, what did/didnt they do that cause the goals?

I can't honestly think of a single one.

One from the point got in.
One from a weak ass backhander from a sharp angle got in.
A easy shot from the dot got in.
Then you had Carle.

Numerous times in the first and 2nd, Bryz made some solid initial stops and our D was right there to clear the puck away.

I mean, outside of Carle, which ones do you exactly want to blame on blown defensive coverage?

If you want to blame Bourdon for the dot wrister, don't. I'm betting if he got in the way or tipped it, all the Bryz fans would be blaming a deflection or screen.

He left Bryz see it the entire way and limited the shot to a sharp angle, exactly what the D is suppose to do.
Even the Carle turnover goal was bad.

He got short-sided by Brandon freaking Dubinsky. The guy couldn't score a goal to save his life this year, he has been horrendous.

It seems like Bryz gets short-sided way more than he should.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

i think the NJ game was one of the few times I was really furuoius with the officiating this season. That whole sequence at the end of the 1st on the noncall changed the game. That said, the Flyers needed to keep their composure in the final minute and it cost them 2 more goals and the hockey game.
The Flyers have had several games this year where the refs were slanted to us on the PP chances so as said things usually even out. Saturdays game was just off the charts in officiating incompitance

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Yeah, the NJ game is easily the worst I've seen in a long time, possibly 2-3 seasons. Maybe more.

02-07-2012, 05:37 AM
kimmofan44

does anyone think that with since the game has been taylored to be faster and faster in recent years that the refs may not see some obvious penalties bc everything is simply happening to fast now?
to make the game exceedingly fast and keep the same amount of eyes on the ice seems like an oversite, maybe another stripped shirt in a booth at broadcast level would help?

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:05 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
does anyone think that with since the game has been taylored to be faster and faster in recent years that the refs may not see some obvious penalties bc everything is simply happening to fast now?
to make the game exceedingly fast and keep the same amount of eyes on the ice seems like an oversite, maybe another stripped shirt in a booth at broadcast level would help?
I legit think its a combination poor refs, the NHL keeps changing its "policies", and having the extra ref on the ice.

They just need to go back to calling 100% obvious calls and ones that take away scoring opportunities.

Let the little clutch and grab and tick tack stuff go.

The game is way better when they do the above and the whistle isn't blowing every 5 secs.