Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs, February 15th

Old
02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
JoeBeef15

vCash: 500
Habs, February 15th

Headed to Montreal for a birthday adventure on the 15th. My little sister and I are going to the game the 14th at home and then making the trek for the game on the 15th. Gonna eat some good food at Joe Beef and Au Pied de Cochon. We'll be watching the game from the nosebleeds at the Bell Centre. Just wondering if wearing colors will get us in any trouble up there. Never been to a game in enemy territory before. Obviously not going up there to start trouble but wondering the likelihood of trouble finding us? Any past experiences are welcome.

JoeBeef15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:23 PM
dtam83

I'd probably keep my jersey at home. I think YMMV when it comes to this and nosebleeds mean it's the less affluent crowd

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
If you can handle yourself then wear all your ****. Just keep a close eye on your sister, they're not above hitting girls up there. Most of their fans are fine though.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
caz16

vCash: 84
I would wear my Bruins jersey - absolutely no question. I wouldn't wear a Chara jersey though...lol

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
If you can handle yourself then wear all your ****. Just keep a close eye on your sister, they're not above hitting girls up there. Most of their fans are fine though.
Really?

-----

Anyway OP, nosebleeds=beer. I'd be rather reserved. In any building, wackos may be around. Either way, I doubt the intensity will be there considering habs position. Hope you have fun!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
PJ1991

You're gonna love it up there, it's truly a great place to see a game. Me and a few buddies are actually making the trip up for this one as well. But anyway, don't worry about wearing your jersey, if you know your hockey and can exchange a little friendly trash talk you'll be surprised how cool most Canadiens fans are and how nice people in Montreal are in general. Not to say there isn't any possibility for trouble, but it's easily avoidable. Wear black and gold, cheer for the B's, but be respectful of where you are. You're no more likely to find trouble at the Bell Center than you are at the Garden, just conduct yourself appropriately and avoid the folks who are clearly too intoxicated (Probably won't be nearly as many on a Wednesday night as there would be if it were a weekend game).

PJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Really?
Yes, personal experience. 99% of the people are fine and fun to go back and forth with (even though they'll talk about you in French to each other) but I would not leave a girl alone with Bruins gear on. If one of you needs a beer, you both go. You'd probably have a great time but take simple precautions and don't be obnoxious.

I'm sure the Habs fan that got urinated on here a couple years ago would say the same thing. Montreal's a great city but never underestimate the 1%.

Last edited by dafoomie: 02-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Yes, personal experience. 99% of the people are fine and fun to go back and forth with (even though they'll talk about you in French to each other) but I would not leave a girl alone with Bruins gear on. If one of you needs a beer, you both go. You'd probably have a great time but take simple precautions and don't be obnoxious.

I'm sure the Habs fan that got urinated on here a couple years ago would say the same thing. Montreal's a great city but never underestimate the 1%.
I would say the same about Boston, with experience as well. Seemed rather odd to mention that there's wackos in the world. Weirdos are not limited to a city nor a hockey arena. As a montrealer myself, I found the notion that we're not above beating girls very off, and with all due respect, offensive. No one with a brain supports that here or in the states.

As you said though, it's best to be precautious. Considering the OP won't be anywhere near home, it IS best he stays in contact with his sister.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:20 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Maybe we should ask Patrick Roy about that.

I'm saying, because of the nature of the rivalry and because the Canadiens are basically all they have, a Boston fan in Montreal needs to be a lot more careful than your typical visiting fan.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:20 PM
northeastern

Quote:
I would say the same about Boston, with experience as well. Seemed rather odd to mention that there's wackos in the world. Weirdos are not limited to a city nor a hockey arena. As a montrealer myself, I found the notion that we're not above beating girls very off, and with all due respect, offensive. No one with a brain supports that here or in the states.

As you said though, it's best to be precautious. Considering the OP won't be anywhere near home, it IS best he stays in contact with his sister.
I'd say that 1% holds true in every arena in the league.

I'd rock colors though. I've never been up there but I have 300 level tickets at the garden and I've had some good experiences with habs fans sitting next to me, just make sure you talk real hockey and don't try to taunt, or then it could get ugly but normally its only bad if you have a hand in making it that way.

You'll be fine and have fun!

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM
jgatie

Quote:

Stop overreacting. Nobody with a brain supports it anywhere, and nobody said they did. But any guy who finds himself amongst a bunch of drunk, fired-up men who happen to despise him, and leaves his girl to fend for herself, for any reason, is an idiot. And that's not "offensive," it's common sense.

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

edit: know what, delete. Not gonna start a pointless debate.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
jgatie

Quote:
edit: know what, delete. Not gonna start a pointless debate.
Fine, but I stand by my accusation of you overreacting. No one said people in Montreal are "not above beating girls." Those were your words. They simply said that it's probably not a good idea to leave your girl alone with Bruins gear on. That could mean leaving her to be chided, heckled, screamed at, have beer poured on her, or anything else among a whole range of actions from mild harrassment to being asked out for poutine; a "beating" was neither stated nor implied.

Hence, you overreacted.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:59 AM
smack66

been to many games in Montreal wearing my Bruins Jersey. I've never had any issues other then the odd look. Most fans understanding the rivalry and are respective as long as you don't make an ass of yourself. Cheer for the Bruins but don't trash talk the Habs and you will be fine. They are no different then fans from any other city.

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
I've been there twice. The first time (St. Patrick’s Day 2001) it felt like a home game, there was probably about 8000 Bruins fans there. so there was no interaction with any Habs fans.

Second time I was there (April 2006) was quite interesting. The guy sitting behind us was trash talking us the 1st period. Like intense, obnoxious yelling. As soon as the period ended, he became a different person, we had a nice civilized conversation about the two hockey teams and whatnot. The cycle repeated itself for the 2nd period and intermission, and 3rd period.

The thing is, the rivalry has picked up since '06, so who know what it's like now.

EDIT: I go to my fair share of road games with my jersey. I've never had a problem. There are general rules to live by. Cheer for your team. Don't put down the other team. Don't engage the other fans unless they engage you in an obvious friendly/joking manner.

Speaking of which, Anyone going to Long Island on March 31st? 1pm saturday game, so I'm hoping we have a "Red Sox in Baltimore" type situation there.

Last edited by Bmf316nhl: 02-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Bmf316nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
jgatie

Aside from my comments above, I've been a few times, including to the old Forum. To tell the truth, the Habs fans you meet there are better behaved towards opposing fans than the ones who take the trip to the Garden. I attribute this to the hype of travelling to another rink, the length of the bus trip, and (let's be serious) the amount of alcohol consumed on the trip. Also, there is a large range of fan types at the Bell Centre, which tend to balance out the idiots; whereas the buses to the Garden could bhe used for a psychological study in group-think. In short, you probably have nothing to worry about if you aren't being a tool (but I still wouldn't leave my girlfriend alone).

Old
02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf316nhl View Post
I've been there twice. The first time (St. Patrick’s Day 2001) it felt like a home game, there was probably about 8000 Bruins fans there. so there was no interaction with any Habs fans.

Second time I was there (April 2006) was quite interesting. The guy sitting behind us was trash talking us the 1st period. Like intense, obnoxious yelling. As soon as the period ended, he became a different person, we had a nice civilized conversation about the two hockey teams and whatnot. The cycle repeated itself for the 2nd period and intermission, and 3rd period.

The thing is, the rivalry has picked up since '06, so who know what it's like now.

EDIT: I go to my fair share of road games with my jersey. I've never had a problem. There are general rules to live by. Cheer for your team. Don't put down the other team. Don't engage the other fans unless they engage you in an obvious friendly/joking manner.

Speaking of which, Anyone going to Long Island on March 31st? 1pm saturday game, so I'm hoping we have a "Red Sox in Baltimore" type situation there.

Amen. I've been to Montreal twice and never really had a problem. When I was with my wife nobody insulted us, we were just laughed out of the building cuz Boston got smoked like 8-2 or something. Second time was with my brother, Bruins won 3-1 and we got ribbed here and there but no insults. The important thing like you said, is to cheer on YOUR team and don't say a peep about the hosts.

And yes, I am going to the March 31st game as well with my wife

EDIT: I'll be in Buffalo February 24th if anyone's going to that too

Last edited by duckchobbins: 02-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Sevren

The crowd will be too busy booing Gomez to care about a couple of people in black and gold.

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Amen. I've been to Montreal twice and never really had a problem. When I was with my wife nobody insulted us, we were just laughed out of the building cuz Boston got smoked like 8-2 or something. Second time was with my brother, Bruins won 3-1 and we got ribbed here and there but no insults. The important thing like you said, is to cheer on YOUR team and don't say a peep about the hosts.

And yes, I am going to the March 31st game as well with my wife
Just cheering for your team and not yapping about the host team is the most common-sense bit of advice ever. Not every visiting fan gets in trouble by being disrespectful, but a large percentage do. I recall a guy in a Sabres jersey standing up and just SCREAMING obscene crap about Tuukka Rask during the 2010 playoffs and getting himself ejected. Remember where you are and be a good guest, and if someone gives you real trouble, inform security asap.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just cheering for your team and not yapping about the host team is the most common-sense bit of advice ever. Not every visiting fan gets in trouble by being disrespectful, but a large percentage do. I recall a guy in a Sabres jersey standing up and just SCREAMING obscene crap about Tuukka Rask during the 2010 playoffs and getting himself ejected. Remember where you are and be a good guest, and if someone gives you real trouble, inform security asap.
Not trying to paint a fanbase with a broad brush...but in my experience, Sabres fans in the Garden are probably the worst.

Bmf316nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:25 AM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf316nhl View Post
Not trying to paint a fanbase with a broad brush...but in my experience, Sabres fans in the Garden are probably the worst.
It seems to be proportional to the number of teams a fanbase has to root for among the 4 major sports (with Yankee fans being the exception that proves the rule ).

Old
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
JoeBeef15

Thanks for the responses, good to hear colors won't cause trouble. Of course, I'll be cautious, but I'm just excited as all hell. I love the city of Montreal, just hate the hockey team.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 268
I would love to go to Montreal for a game someday. I would wear black and gold.

I went to Montreal years ago but hockey was on strike so I didn't see a game.

I would expect some comments but no trouble. There are ignorant fools at every arena though . I have seen a few at the Garden.

02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
JoeBeef15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I would love to go to Montreal for a game someday. I would wear black and gold.

I went to Montreal years ago but hockey was on strike so I didn't see a game.

I would expect some comments but no trouble. There are ignorant fools at every arena though . I have seen a few at the Garden.
Basically I asked because of the way I've seen fans treated at the Garden.

The worst I've ever seen though was when a guy came into the bathroom through the exit and cut everyone. He was a B's fan but nobody acted like it haha.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeef15 View Post
Basically I asked because of the way I've seen fans treated at the Garden.

The worst I've ever seen though was when a guy came into the bathroom through the exit and cut everyone. He was a B's fan but nobody acted like it haha.
How long you planning to stay in montreal? Planning to get anywhere else in particular or just go with the flow?