HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

New third jersey for 12-13 (UPD: post #88 no new jersey, current third retired)

Old
02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I hope you're aware that this particular picture is a chinese knock-off and isn't even close to the authentic one. The Buffalo and the Yellow stripes are massive
And the nameplate font is wrong. It's actually the slug font, if I'm not mistaken:

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
If there's truth to the Black jersey. What would people think if they brought back the AGH jersey as a 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
id like to see the black and red back in some capacity, whether it be as an alternate jersey, or just merchandise to be made for sale just as the old blue and gold stuff currently is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I say keep the 40th anniversary ones they're really cool and unique. But if they're gonna use another as an alternate, I vote this one.

While I loved the original blue and golds best, I wasn't that upset with the black and red design - the red 3rd jersey with the butterknives was far worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I do not like the black and red days at all. I live blue and gold, it was my high school colors as well.
For as many people that dislike the black/red era because of the Rigas / bankruptcy / 2001-04 seasons, there are just as many - if not more - positive memories when the team wore those jerseys (the '96-'97 Nolan "hardest working team in hockey" / the '98, '99 and '06 playoff runs). The blue and gold era, for all of the cherished history tied to the start of the franchise and great players to wear that jersey, also saw a lot of mediocre teams that got bounced in the 1st round for 10 consecutive years, not to mention a team that finished dead last overall in the NHL. It seems like whichever memories of experiences the team had are strongest (be it positive or negative) is what influences hating one design over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwojo View Post
Allow me to end this nonsense.. new 3rd jersey should be:
The current jerseys without the ridiculous stickers on the front of the helmets
Boom.
Eliminating the gray armpit stains should be the first change to the current design if there is going to be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post

These jerseys look like someone sucked the soul right out of them, so I guess that's appropriate for this team..
I wouldn't worry about those charcoal designs ever happening - the whole purpose of branding and logo / color designs is for marketing an identity. Any team that would adopt a monochromatic scheme like that charcoal one would render their jerseys as invisible both to TV viewers as well as fans in the arenas seated higher than the 5th row up. Players would appear to be just charcoal blurs.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:05 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
For as many people that dislike the black/red era because of the Rigas / bankruptcy / 2001-04 seasons, there are just as many - if not more - positive memories when the team wore those jerseys (the '96-'97 Nolan "hardest working team in hockey" / the '98, '99 and '06 playoff runs). The blue and gold era, for all of the cherished history tied to the start of the franchise and great players to wear that jersey, also saw a lot of mediocre teams that got bounced in the 1st round for 10 consecutive years, not to mention a team that finished dead last overall in the NHL. It seems like whichever memories of experiences the team had are strongest (be it positive or negative) is what influences hating one design over the other.
Personally, I grew up with the goathead jerseys, and I find the sets that preceded them to be the better look. First off, they convey the name of the team better. They held that name-the-team contest because they were trying to avoid the more obvious names like "Buffalo Bisons". It was dumb to remove all instances of actual sabres in the team logo, especially with that in mind.

Another thing is, the goathead jersey is simply way too 90's. Angry animal mascot with 'tude, the black and red color scheme that was popular at the time; it's just not timeless when taken as a whole. It's better left in the era that it was designed for, imo.

Quote:
Eliminating the gray armpit stains should be the first change to the current design if there is going to be one.
Agreed. Then they should remove the piping and change the blue to a brighter, less drab shade. The Oilers and even the Islanders figured out that those elements are just ugly, and fixed their jerseys accordingly.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
G Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
And the nameplate font is wrong. It's actually the slug font, if I'm not mistaken:
And the chinese fakes also use white for the script and numbers instead of vintage white.

G Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Well, you can officially say goodbye to the current Sabres' alt:

Quote:
Alternate blue jerseys with "Buffalo" script on the front were retired tonight. Won't be worn again. The way this one ended, just as well.
https://twitter.com/#!/BNHarrington/...35240667365377

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:00 PM
FoSotC

Boo, I liked these.

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Glad our baseball 3rd jersey is gone...loved the colors but not the script....

I'm more old school and have absolutely no desire in ever seeing the black and red jerseys again even as a 3rd jersey....I also think the red third jersey with the puck logo is one of the worst all time jerseys in NHL history...Please don't bring it back Sabres....

If they wanted to bring something back from the black/red era, I would be OK with the demonic goathead but in blue and gold w/ maybe some silver in there as well.....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

go with the old school blue.... and on the front, put a silhouette of lindy ruff with his arms crossed and tuna fish in his stache

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

If anyone sees an "official" release by the Sabres saying the 3rds are no longer going to be worn, please post it. Until then, with all due respect, I'll believe it when I see it. But that's just me.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
dkollidas

What if they took the original jerseys that they basically switched back to this season, and used an actual gold instead of the yellow that they claim as gold, and keep it like that, or even use that color scheme and put the "goat face" on it?

I'm just thinking of random ideas, and watching Foligno the other night wearing the gold helmet made me think a simple color scheme like that might be cool.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:44 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
I'm thinking a 3rd jersey with either gold/yellow as the main color might be cool

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:46 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I could get behind a blue and gold AGH or this:

That's about as far afield as I go.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
If anyone sees an "official" release by the Sabres saying the 3rds are no longer going to be worn, please post it. Until then, with all due respect, I'll believe it when I see it. But that's just me.
Quote:
BNHarrington To all asking: Alternates are done forever, not just this year. Sabres spokesman said team has no plans for an alternate jersey next year.
http://twitter.com/BNHarrington/stat...37074719076352

This is garbage.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
McTank

Man I love the current third, almost bought one tonight thank god I didn't, hope they get creative with the new third and get a cool logo like a new goat head or the slug with legs we saw in another thread

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Sabres spokesman is definitely more of a solid source. Thanks!

Old
03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yeah, it's only a jersey but it's cool to see a different look sometimes. for the current ones, make it a lighter blue (close to the original colors) and for the love of God get rid of the ****ing pit stains/other stupid piping

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Wow, hate the news of the third going away. It's far and away my favourite of the current three, guess it might be time to finally invest in one of the home or away ones.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:12 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Yeah, it's only a jersey but it's cool to see a different look sometimes. for the current ones, make it a lighter blue (close to the original colors) and for the love of God get rid of the ****ing pit stains/other stupid piping
I like the stains and piping, not sure why, think its a cool mix of modern and heritage, they could go a bit lighter on the blue bit for the home and away I like them more navy than royal and think our third should be royal

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Wow, hate the news of the third going away. It's far and away my favourite of the current three, guess it might be time to finally invest in one of the home or away ones.
Why would you buy a jersey you don't love? What is so bad about keeping and wearing the 3rds until another Sabres jersey comes along (and it eventually will) that you like just as much, if not more than those 3rds?

Unless you're one of those fans that MUST have the latest, most current jersey to be cool.

I guess I just can't relate

I haven't bought a Sabres jersey since the first year the real authentic Black goat head jerseys were available to purchase. And I never wear it

I'm more of a hat guy, I get a new Sabres hat once a year. But mainly because I wear the hell out of it for 365 days.

Last edited by ZZamboni: 03-15-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
03-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I like the stains and piping, not sure why
It's probably psychologically reassuring for fans to see the stains and envision that the perceived sweat under the armpits means the team is always working hard for 60 minutes a night!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Gary bettman just texdidd me and said its the slug on the AGH black jersey and black/red scheme. Helmets will be blue, like they were that one off season of the off colored blues. He hates it but they agreed to it as a last thank you to Quinn.

Anyone else get that text? Or is g just fuxin with me? It sounds intriguing.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:51 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Gary bettman just texdidd me and said its the slug on the AGH black jersey and black/red scheme. Helmets will be blue, like they were that one off season of the off colored blues. He hates it but they agreed to it as a last thank you to Quinn.

Anyone else get that text? Or is g just fuxin with me? It sounds intriguing.
I think you've been conversing with the wrong Gary.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:02 AM
aceface33

Good, alternate jerseys are a BS money grab. Their regular jerseys are fine.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:42 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I think you've been conversing with the wrong Gary.

He speaks better than Bettman...and is more engaging

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Alternate blue jerseys with "Buffalo" script on the front were retired tonight.
Won't be worn again. The way this one ended, just as well.

LS: Not a shocker - knew the jerseys would be retired at the end of the season after
the Sabres said that they were only going to wear the jerseys for six home games
(along with two away games - Ottawa on November 5 and Nashville on December 3)
down from thirteen (?) home games from the anniversary season. Then it became only
five home games as they decided for some reason to wear their regular blue jerseys
for the November 16 home game vs New Jersey.

LOL for Harrington saying in a way it was one of the reasons we lost - their only loss
this season wearing that jersey was last night. (I think they even had a good record
last season in the jersey too) In a weird twist - they even lost that home game vs
New Jersey when they decided to not wear the jerseys. Would we have won that
game if we had wore it? Who knows!

Oh well, I enjoyed wearing the jersey - much better than wearing that slug one!
Guess I'll have a retirement ceremony for it later today - LOL! Thing that sucks
the player whose "Buffalo" jersey I have - Tyler Myers - didn't even get the chance
to wear the jersey one last time. Would have been nice if I could have wore that
jersey one last time with the player who I have it of played in the game! Looks
like during the off season, I'll have to replace it with a Myers regular blue jersey.
GO SABRES!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote