HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Brad Boyes

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2004, 09:57 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
We're not seriously judging a player after *one* game in the NHL?
And not after 5 games in the AHL this year either. He will be a tweener....NHL/AHL shuttle.

Old
10-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Harry

I think the leafs would love to dump Nolan. Cant find a taker because he is no longer worth the 5 mil per year and has injury problems now. He's on the down slide.

Old
10-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Habsaku

I really dont like the denial I keep sensing from people like Leafaholix(every team has those though). I cant see how you can say Boyes and McCaully+1st for Nolan made sense. It didnt and it never will, even at the time I couldnt believe it, never mind now. Your talking 3 first rounders: Thats two good prospects and a young cheap guy who almost won the Selke while posting 20 goals. I'd take that alone over Nolan anytime. Theres no room is not a good argument at all IMO, if you have a good player you FIND room for him. Nieuwendyke wont be playing for the next 10 years you know. Boyes could have been a great complement to Sundin.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 11-02-2004 at 04:27 PM. Reason: removed previously deleted quoted text as well as a personal attack
Old
10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Theres no room is not a good argument at all IMO, if you have a good player you FIND room for him. Nieuwendyke wont be playing for the next 10 years you know. Boyes could have been a great complement to Sundin.
At the same time with Stajan, Steen, Antropov down the middle, it's not the like the Leafs centers position(s) will be bleak after Nieuwendyk leaves.

Old
10-28-2004, 08:01 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku

I really dont like the denial I keep sensing from people like Leafaholix(every team has those though). I cant see how you can say Boyes and McCaully+1st for Nolan made sense.
It makes a lot less sense to keep Boyes and McCauley if you have a chance to use them to get Nolan.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 11-02-2004 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed previously deleted quoted text
Old
10-28-2004, 09:54 PM
BuppY

Everyone makes bad trades at some point, Boyes is a grreat player I been his fan for a while now since his OHL days. I think he is great to watch and is a hard worker and i think he will make it to the NHL, one day as a 2nd line center, potential is there. You cannot say that guy isn;t good because he got traded twice before playing in the NHL. Trading is part of the game, to get something you have to give something. Boyes was traded to the Sharks because if the eafs wanted Nolan they had to include him in the deal because they liked him a lot, at the time I believe Sharks weren't deep at the center spot in terms of the prospects. Bill Watters came on Fan 590 moments after the trade was announced, and said he hated the fact they had to trade Brad Boyes, he said if we didn't include him this trade would have not been made. He was the make or break of the trade. Sadly the Leafs pulled the trigger. Boyes became expandable on the Sharks after they took Hennessy and they liked him better then Boyes. I do not know what Wilson was thinking when he made the 3 way trade, which sent Boyes to the Bruins, in my opinion that was a steal for the Bruins who lack good center prospects and got a good one in Boyes.

Old
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Sharks like players who can skate and play two ways, Boyes lacks in both areas...but man did it hurt to loose him....I think with his vision and just love for the game and his hands, Oh BOY THOSE HANDS! he was worth keeping.

Overall moving him was bad in a way, but it really has made Goc blossum.... Still though, I didn't like that trade to begin with, and hate it more now.

So far Boyes has been traded twice, and each time he has been moved the team dealing him away has looked foolish in the end.

Old
10-28-2004, 11:19 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Sharks like players who can skate and play two ways, Boyes lacks in both areas...but man did it hurt to loose him....I think with his vision and just love for the game and his hands, Oh BOY THOSE HANDS! he was worth keeping.

Overall moving him was bad in a way, but it really has made Goc blossum.... Still though, I didn't like that trade to begin with, and hate it more now.

So far Boyes has been traded twice, and each time he has been moved the team dealing him away has looked foolish in the end.
I like the Sharks they are one of my favoite teams, and when Boyes got traded I was kind of happy because it was Sharks that he was traded to, but now the BRUINS, I'm not happy about that in any way.

Old
10-28-2004, 11:36 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE

The Sharks did not appear to get much in return for Boyes now that Brown
is a Blackhawk which for the short term makes the trade look like a clear
win for the B's. I have to say that Boyes is a project player at this point
and is not a slam dunk to make it in the NHL as a 2nd line player. He's pretty one dimensional as xsharkie points out. I think Boyes can overcome the playing
in both ends of the ice with his drive for success and coaching. He *really*
needs more speed and to add some more muscle to his frame for the NHL game.
Being small and slow is not a recipe for success in the NHL.

Old
10-30-2004, 02:24 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
He *really*
needs more speed and to add some more muscle to his frame for the NHL game.
Being small and slow is not a recipe for success in the NHL.
I don't understand why someone thinks they are contributing something to the board by repeating stuff they have heard.

Boyes constantly works on his skating and put on 15pds of muscle this summer...

He's not a speedster... but he is not "slow". For his size it seems like he should be faster...but he is not "slow".

Old
10-30-2004, 04:33 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
I don't understand why someone thinks they are contributing something to the board by repeating stuff they have heard.

Boyes constantly works on his skating and put on 15pds of muscle this summer...

He's not a speedster... but he is not "slow". For his size it seems like he should be faster...but he is not "slow".
I remember when he was a Leaf prospect he went to the AHL all star game and in the skills competition he was in the fastest skater competition and finished 2nd last i forget the time he got. I don't think he's "SLOW" he doesn't have the quick first step.

Old
10-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs Forever
Sure they notice but its not as if the players trulky hate each other. Old Detroit-Colorado games and more recent Ottawa-Toronto games have that sort of intensity and hatred.

I'm sure they might put a bit of extra effort in, but less than 20% of the NHL is from Ontario, and quite frankly iut very rarely makes much of a difference.

Also you'd be hard-pressed to find a sold out game against the Leafs in Chicago, Carolina, Nashville, Anaheim, Pittsburgh etc.
actually, the one time the leafs came to Nashville, it was a sellout. It took 5 seasons for the Laffs to make an appearance here in Music City, and it was pretty much a sell out for that reason.

Also, I'd like to think that the Detroit - Nashville rivalry is one of the best in the NHL. You may think I'm a homer but the players hate each other. Ask Mr. Chelios if ya don't believe me.

Closed Thread