HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...What's Next?

Old
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
This seems like the trade proposals/rumors/discussion thread.
here here. It's the daily "the sky is falling lets trade our stars" armchair GM thread.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Stop worrying about a first round pick we traded away and you'll be much happier.
This. So much more of this.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
If Varlamov re-entered the draft now, where do you think he would be picked?
Top ten pick. Guaranteed NHL Starter who has stolen playoff series by the age of 23? No question you take that guy in the top ten.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Last Season? 08-09? The lockout?

Consolation prizes in Duchene/Landeskog does not make those seasons any less painful than they were to watch as a fan.

At least we're in the hunt for the playoffs currently despite the price we paid for Varly.

Tanking for another draft pick with this team would be terrible for their development, as much as I expected it pre-Varly/Giggy. What I don't understand is where that drive from their rookie years went, when guys didn't accept losing as an option.
At least then losing attributed to something, now it means nothing. You already pointed that out in the first statement for me though, so thanks. We're far from the hunt, we've lost 5 in a row. We also haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game in 2 WHOLE WEEKS. Our offense is awful. At least when we had those other horrible seasons we had some bright spots on the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Stop worrying about a first round pick we traded away and you'll be much happier.
No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Unless the Avalanche really hit rock bottom down the stretch, the loss of the draft pick doesn't mean much. Being able to draft a player in the middle of the first round who realistically won't make an impact in the next 2-3 seasons won't take the sting away from missing the playoffs.

It's also news to me that the Avalanche are at a low point. They're one of the youngest teams in the NHL, stocked up with quality young players (mostly from the 2006 and 2009 drafts), and are three points out of a playoff spot.

That's not low. Low is when you finish 28th in the NHL, have almost no salary cap space thanks to Ryan Smyth, have one of the most expensive-but-ineffective defenses in the NHL, and Joe Sakic retires on top of it.

That's low. This is a transition period.
We're at a total low point, but people like you can continue and deflect facts and pretend not to realize that we:
1. Don't have a pick. (This will at least be top 10)
2. Don't spend money on FA's.
3. Have players who sharply regress after having one decent year.

Avalicious18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossAlanche View Post
At least then losing attributed to something, now it means nothing. You already pointed that out in the first statement for me though, so thanks. We're far from the hunt, we've lost 5 in a row. We also haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game in 2 WHOLE WEEKS. Our offense is awful. At least when we had those other horrible seasons we had some bright spots on the team.

No?

We're at a total low point, but people like you can continue and deflect facts and pretend not to realize that we:
You should probably stop being an avs fan. That or kill yourself. Your choice.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Do you have a crystal ball?

I would like to know, who are these players?

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
shadow1

Quote:
1. Joey Hishon
2. Ville Leino
3. Vincent Lecavalier

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
1. Joey Hishon
2. Ville Leino
3. Vincent Lecavalier
1. LOL
2. It's been 1/2 a season and that entire team has struggled; I also said we won't spend money, not that we don't overpay.
3. Stastny, Quincey, JONES, Hejduk(LOL), Winnik, Want me to keep going?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
1. LOL
2. It's been 1/2 a season and that entire team has struggled; I also said we won't spend money, not that we don't overpay.
Have you seen Hishon play?

Stastny had about 4 great years, Hejduk about 15. Jones sure I'll give you that. KQ never really had good years, some good months but that's it. Winnik is and was always a good 3rd liner. You're just embarrassing yourself. Stop.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
1. LOL
1. Nobody knows that Hishon will be capable of, you can't dismiss him before he even plays professional hockey
2. You don't get a scorer in free agency without overpaying.
3. You're talking about one of the youngest teams in the NHL, ups and downs are part of the growing process.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Did recsguy start a new account under hossalanche????

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONIVER View Post
Did recsguy start a new account under hossalanche????
Nah, as misinformed as this guy is it seems like he genuinely cares about the Avalanche, RECsGuy could give less of a **** about the Avs.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Have you seen Hishon play?

Stastny had about 4 great years, Hejduk about 15. Jones sure I'll give you that. KQ never really had good years, some good months but that's it. Winnik is and was always a good 3rd liner. You're just embarrassing yourself. Stop.
HHAHAHA. Hejduk has been mediocre since Forsberg. I could've scored 40+ if all I had to do was put my stick on the ice. Stastny is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, the guy has NO hockey IQ, he looks like a damn fool out there. Quincey was solid when he came here. Winnik is a black hole and is only good on a line with people much worse than him, such as other great one year wonders.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:12 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
HHAHAHA. Hejduk has been mediocre since Forsberg. I could've scored 40+ if all I had to do was put my stick on the ice. Stastny is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, the guy has NO hockey IQ, he looks like a damn fool out there. Quincey was solid when he came here. Winnik is a black hole and is only good on a line with people much worse than him, such as other great one year wonders.
I'm not sure if you are trolling or just new to hockey?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Nah, as misinformed as this guy is it seems like he genuinely cares about the Avalanche, RECsGuy could give less of a **** about the Avs.
I'm misinformed because of how frustrating it is to watch a "Young, rebuilding team" trade it's picks and NOT try to improve other facets of the team? They could at least ATTEMPT to do so. At least last year we had flashes. This team has not done a thing since the second week. Just look how many goals we've scored in the last month or so. I think we've gotten 3 goals like 2 times or something. I know I'm being pessimistic, but there is truth behind what I'm saying.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
If you're telling people online to kill themselves over a debate on hockey, then you're the one that needs to reevaluate your life.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
1. Nobody knows that Hishon will be capable of, you can't dismiss him before he even plays professional hockey
2. You don't get a scorer in free agency without overpaying.
3. You're talking about one of the youngest teams in the NHL, ups and downs are part of the growing process.
1. Concussions.
2. Richards.
3. Agreed, but if thats the case you DO NOT trade the picks if you aren't in win-now. If you do, why not trade a 2014 1st?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:19 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I'm misinformed because of how frustrating it is to watch a "Young, rebuilding team" trade it's picks and NOT try to improve other facets of the team? They could at least ATTEMPT to do so. At least last year we had flashes. This team has not done a thing since the second week. Just look how many goals we've scored in the last month or so. I think we've gotten 3 goals like 2 times or something. I know I'm being pessimistic, but there is truth behind what I'm saying.
They traded those picks to improve the goaltending, which was horrible prior to this season.

Teams are built in the off-season now, that's how it works under the salary cap. How many teams have made meaningful trades during this hockey season?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
They traded those picks to improve the goaltending, which was horrible prior to this season.

Teams are built in the off-season now, that's how it works under the salary cap. How many teams have made meaningful trades during this hockey season?
I respect that first statement and don't mind the move at all, but why not go out and TRY to get someone decent? Goaltending won't put us in the playoffs alone. St Louis made an amazing one for a new coach.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:25 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I respect that first statement and don't mind the move at all, but why not go out and TRY to get someone decent? Goaltending won't put us in the playoffs alone. St Louis made an amazing one for a new coach.
What were you expecting the Avs to get? Teams aren't lining up the sell their amazing players for draft picks?

That's one team. Teams don't do much tinkering throughout the season now, it all done in the off-season. I see no reason to fault the Avs for not tinkering during the season, when the vast majority of other teams are not doing the same.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Avalicious18

Quote:
What were you expecting the Avs to get? Teams aren't lining up the sell their amazing players for draft picks?

That's one team. Teams don't do much tinkering throughout the season now, it all done in the off-season. I see no reason to fault the Avs for not tinkering during the season, when the vast majority of other teams are not doing the same.
I'm talking about Free Agency, mostly. If you're going to trade our safety-net in the pick then why not go out and get more offense? There's plenty of wingers out there to take a chance on. This team is going NOWHERE if we don't make some kind of splash (trade or signing) sometime this offseason.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
What's next? More whining and bickering, most likely.

Foppa Frossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:35 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I'm talking about Free Agency, mostly. If you're going to trade our safety-net in the pick then why not go out and get more offense? There's plenty of wingers out there to take a chance on. This team is going NOWHERE if we don't make some kind of splash (trade or signing) sometime this offseason.
Last season offence wasn't our problem, it was defence as goaltending. Most of the contacts for wingers last season were inflated. You also have to consider the Avs were a bottom feeder last year, not many free-agents would find that appealing.

When the Avs finally make it somewhere it won't be because of some free agent signing, it will be because the core players are starting to mature.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:10 AM
shadow1

Quote:
1. LOL
My point with Joey Hishon is that even if the Avalanche drafted around 10-15th overall this year, chances are he wouldn't be making an impact for a while.

You're right on Ville Leino, but the fact is that sometimes spending money isn't always the answer. Players like Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog are who the Avalanche are betting on leading them back to prominence. Any UFA signing the Avs make will hopefully be to provide depth (i.e. Jan Hejda).

Sure, you can keep going. Keep naming players I wouldn't bat an eyelash at getting traded or released to free agency. Ryan O'Reilly is having a great season, as is Gabriel Landeskog. Erik Johnson has at least been competent defensively, and JS Giguere's resurgence puts him in the conversation of being Colorado's starter for more than the duration of his contract.

Matt Duchene wasn't having the best season before his injury, which is why I brought up Vincent Lecavalier. Early in Lecavalier's career he went from 67 points down to 37 points in two season. He followed it up with 78 points.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote