HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...What's Next?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
The Avs should just move now. It's clear they have no future.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:01 AM
ScotAv

vCash: 500
With regards to the first rounder; we had 2 last year. Siemens was young enough that he almost qualified for this years draft. I haven't been keeping THAT up to date with his progress but I'm still happy we drafted him, especially after RS said about Philadelphia going after him until Couturier fell to them. There wasn't really anyone after that I'd have really liked to go for, probably Armia or Baertschi since wingers are an organisational need and we seem to be okay in terms of D (in the future I mean with Barrie, Elliott and Johnson.)

The way I like to look at it is that our first rounder this year is essentially Siemens. And we got a goalie we know is young, but oozes elite potential. We just have to ensure he reaches elite. NOW GET HIM A PROPER GOALIE COACH.

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:52 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossAlanche View Post
We desperately need to make a move for a winger. Who's somebody that we can realistically pry away for a package such as Stastny+Quincey/Jones?
We don't need it that desperately. Trading Stastny for a winger is fixing one problem and creating another. We need to keep our core players, we got a good thing going with Stastny-Duchene-Radar in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossAlanche
Don't remember a time when things were really this low for Av Faithful
I remember when it was far worse, it was last year.

Things now are not as bad as you make it out to be.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
foppagirl21

I am pretty darn giddy with the direction of this team. Add some blue chippers on wing and a solid #1 on D and the Avs will be sitting pretty. Oh, and bring in an entirely new coaching staff.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Do you have a crystal ball?

I would like to know, who are these players?
Scores at 28 goal pace as a rookie. Scores only 12 next year. Waived the year after. One Mr Yip. Definite regression after one good year.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Adama0905

You seriously can't remember a time when things were this low for the Avs....? How about the entire post-lockout? Truth is, this is the best team we've had since the lockout. I personally hated every minute of cheering on the mediocre, cap-max veteran team. At least with us hugging the floor and being so young, we have something to look forward to.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
avsfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotAv View Post
With regards to the first rounder; we had 2 last year. Siemens was young enough that he almost qualified for this years draft. I haven't been keeping THAT up to date with his progress but I'm still happy we drafted him, especially after RS said about Philadelphia going after him until Couturier fell to them. There wasn't really anyone after that I'd have really liked to go for, probably Armia or Baertschi since wingers are an organisational need and we seem to be okay in terms of D (in the future I mean with Barrie, Elliott and Johnson.)

The way I like to look at it is that our first rounder this year is essentially Siemens. And we got a goalie we know is young, but oozes elite potential. We just have to ensure he reaches elite. NOW GET HIM A PROPER GOALIE COACH.
yeah, i too am very happy we have varly in our system now, before we got him our goaltending pipeline was very bleak. with only pickard who was a ways away. management has turned that around with with the varly deal, signing js and even picking up desjardins and with attikkallio being a pleasent surprise our goaltending is solidified for the future. you are right, no one outside the avs faithful remembers that we had two picks in the top 11 last season, which getting seimens really sures up our defensive prospects in our system as well. when this team comes together in 2 or three years no one will be talking about the first round pick we gave up in 2012.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
kapzk

Next we just gotta nab Parise or Suter (or both) in the offseason

kapzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
You seriously can't remember a time when things were this low for the Avs....? How about the entire post-lockout? Truth is, this is the best team we've had since the lockout. I personally hated every minute of cheering on the mediocre, cap-max veteran team. At least with us hugging the floor and being so young, we have something to look forward to.
I was pretty pumped for the post lockout team the first year or two. Sakic was still great, a great signing in Bruno, Blake was still good, Tanguay and Hejduk were still strong, emergence of Liles Wolski and Svatos as our future stars. Then Stastny emerging the next season and looking like he could develop into a 90 point playmaking two way monster.

Obviously it turned out like crap but I loved cheering for that team. It looked like we had a great young generation on the way still.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I was pretty pumped for the post lockout team the first year or two. Sakic was still great, a great signing in Bruno, Blake was still good, Tanguay and Hejduk were still strong, emergence of Liles Wolski and Svatos as our future stars. Then Stastny emerging the next season and looking like he could develop into a 90 point playmaking two way monster.

Obviously it turned out like crap but I loved cheering for that team. It looked like we had a great young generation on the way still.
Meh. 05-06 was mired by crappy goaltending and the loss of Forsberg and Foote. Right before 06-07 was when I really started to realize how much this was going to muck around in mediocrity. 07-08 was the overpayment of two "meh" "stars." Let's not even talk about 08-09. How they could go in to that season with that roster...I do not know. They probably had Duchene on the radar May '08 or something. 09-10 was the only time that we even started looking to have a good future. Now it's looking like we have a good future in every position. Get a coach in there and I'll be happy.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
Next we just gotta nab Parise or Suter (or both) in the offseason
Either of those moves would be great (my obvious bias says Parise), and I don't think it's near as far-fetched as some people do.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Either of those moves would be great (my obvious bias says Parise), and I don't think it's near as far-fetched as some people do.
I would like Parise more too. While Suter would naturally be the #1 d-man for Avs, I still think that getting #1 winger would be way more crucial, defense has more depth. Especially if both Elliott and Barrie can be counted upon for regular spots in 2012-13 Avs squad.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:54 PM
kapzk

Quote:
For sure, depending on what the cap situation is with the new CBA, Avs would have enough money to get either of those guys, and I too prefer Parise. We just need to keep in mind when spending the money of all the younger guys (RFA status) who we need to extend now and in the future.

kapzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
For sure, depending on what the cap situation is with the new CBA, Avs would have enough money to get either of those guys, and I too prefer Parise. We just need to keep in mind when spending the money of all the younger guys (RFA status) who we need to extend now and in the future.
Don't get me wrong, we're definitely not going out and going on some sort of spending spree. We sure as hell are not going to get both the big name FAs - that'd never happen in a million years. But I feel about 65% confident that we do get one of them. But outside of that one FA we won't do anything else besides the necessary retaining of guys that need to get re-upped.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

If I'd have to bet right now how many of Parise / Suter / Weber Avs will get for 2012-13, I'd say 0.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
I'm a little confused by this thread. All time low? What about last season? Right now I'm actually hopefull for our future. This off-season we should pursue a top 6 winger, but other than that I don't get the panic...

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I'm a little confused by this thread. All time low? What about last season? Right now I'm actually hopefull for our future. This off-season we should pursue a top 6 winger, but other than that I don't get the panic...
Yeah, fighting for a playoff spot is definitely a far worse season than being in the bottom of the pile. There's apparently no middle ground... you have to win the cup, or win the 1st overall pick... everything else is failure.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
NHL33*

Next are the Canucks.

Then we play Oilers.

Maybe we'll be lucky and win a game.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Next are the Canucks.

Then we play Oilers.

Maybe we'll be lucky and win a game.
Avs began yesterday a stretch of eleven games in which only one is "a four-point game" and that's right after this trip on home against Kings. Rest of these ten games are either against East (Canes, Jets, Penguins) or against "irrelevant" teams that are out of playoff fight (Canucks and Red Wings are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs already and Blue Jackets, Oilers and Ducks are pretty much guaranteed to miss playoffs already). If they get these all to overtime, that would help a lot.

edit. The next week (Sunday to Sunday) for these seven teams:
Chicago: Tue @NSH, Thu @NYR, Sat @CBJ, Sun vs. STL
Los Angeles: Sun @DAL, Thu vs. PHO, Sat vs. CGY (A huge week for them!)
Phoenix: Mon @VAN, Thu @LAK, Sat vs. DAL
Colorado: Wed @VAN, Fri @EDM, Sun @WIN
Dallas: Sun vs. LAK, Tue @DET, Thu vs. CGY, Sat @PHO, Sun vs. NSH (A huge week for them!)
Calgary: Tue vs. TOR, Thu @DAL, Sat @LAK
Minnesota: Tue @ANA, Thu vs. WIN, Sat @STL, Sun vs. Bos

LAK has for the rest of this month full of big games. They have seven of their eight games against these other six teams. They meet these all at least once.

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie: 02-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
02-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

The only thing I DON'T like about this team is the very bland, unsexy hockey they play. But I understand the free-wheeling offensive style simply wasn't sustainable. I do hope one they actually get the right weapons we don't see so much lame dump-and-chase hockey.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 03:07 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
The only thing I DON'T like about this team is the very bland, unsexy hockey they play. But I understand the free-wheeling offensive style simply wasn't sustainable. I do hope one they actually get the right weapons we don't see so much lame dump-and-chase hockey.
I feel like the coach has a lot to do with that. We've shown in the past that the team can be creative in making plays, but that was also free-wheeling like you mentioned. I think something in between would be good, but I doubt Sacco has that type of talent to pull off a system like that.

Mueller, Duchene, EJ, RoR, and Stazz are all capable of making plays. It's not like everyone on the line to be super talented. It's just that the style kind of refrains them from being able to pull it off.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote