HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 500
nvm.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
It's not even 'nasty' per se, but he's using his body to get good angles on the puck and he's following through with more checks than usual.
Ok. Fine . Relatively nasty compared to his not-so-physical self.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
It's not even 'nasty' per se, but he's using his body to get good angles on the puck and he's following through with more checks than usual.
Instead of just gliding by and picking his nose, he's actually finishing checks and getting involved physically, which have gotten his legs going overall.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:29 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Ok. Fine . Relatively nasty compared to his not-so-physical self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
Instead of just gliding by and picking his nose, he's actually finishing checks and getting involved physically, which have gotten his legs going overall.
He's also been interfering with a lot of goaltenders.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:30 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I think this MIGHT be one of the reasons why we're after Travis Moen but not a very good reason to go after him

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=realTimeStats

Very interesting stat because the Sharks do seem to get pushed off the puck a little too easy sometimes. At the same time maybe guys like Thornton and Marleau need to start using their bodies and playing more physical.
Hits can vary by arena, according to the local statistician. I would suggest you do a quick comparison on hits recorded for high hitting teams when they are in HP. Also, hitting is meaningless if it doesn't mean getting the puck. The object of the game is getting the puck and putting it in the net. A hit that is a day late and a dollar short doesn't do that. And you are complaining about guys (JT and Marleau) who have a far higher possession rate than Moen. They are far above average in getting and keeping the puck no matter your personal observation.

You might want to note that Moen has never been above the 0 line in any year on +/- in his entire NHL career. That is not good and he was on some good teams.

I am seeing Desjardins, Wingels and even McCarthy playing better than what I have seen from Moen 5on5 and they aren't even as big as he is. And Moen is certainly not going to help the top 6.

Worry about fit on the team. What does the team need? Who provides exactly those qualities? Don't look at names and points. The Sharks need forecheckers with skill and some speed. They need to get away from counting on Marleau as their only skill/speed option. If they can't get one of those players, they are better off conserving their assets rather than appeasing fans who are trade happy.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:35 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
He's also been interfering with a lot of goaltenders.
That call was so lame. And you can ask others how often I take shots at refs for made calls (not often).

Old
02-11-2012, 02:35 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
That call was so lame. And you can ask others how often I take shots at refs for made calls (not often).
Believe me, you're one of if not the most objective posters here. I believe you.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I don't have the replay. Wasn't Crawford way out of the crease or something?

Old
02-11-2012, 02:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
He sort of tried to punch Marleau as he was doing a fly by and missed, and then fell and got out of position, as far as I remember.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
He sort of tried to punch Marleau as he was doing a fly by and missed, and then fell and got out of position, as far as I remember.
He was making a blocker save attempt, hit Marleau, and it made him sprawl. It would've been fine as a wave-off.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:47 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
He was out of the crease. Marleau contacted his blocker which Crawford had thrown up. Both moving outside of the crease. Marleau had skated in a line specifically to avoid Crawford. The play met none of the criteria for a GI call outside of the crease.

PF,
It didn't even meet the criteria for a non-penalty GI.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:48 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He was making a blocker save attempt, hit Marleau, and it made him sprawl. It would've been fine as a wave-off.
Looked like a punch, even though it realistically can't have been.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
He was out of the crease. Marleau contacted his blocker which Crawford had thrown up. Both moving outside of the crease. Marleau had skated in a line specifically to avoid Crawford. The play met none of the criteria for a GI call outside of the crease.

PF,
It didn't even meet the criteria for a non-penalty GI.
It probably didn't but a wave-off wouldn't have been a bad call, imo. It wouldn't have been great but it wouldn't have been bad. Marleau just needs to stop running goalies...Good Toews, he is becoming a minor penalty machine.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
It probably didn't but a wave-off wouldn't have been a bad call, imo. It wouldn't have been great but it wouldn't have been bad. Marleau just needs to stop running goalies...Good Toews, he is becoming a minor penalty machine.
The way we are killing penalties he can keep on doing it imo. If nothing more, it throws the goalie off their game a bit, and makes them a little nervous the next time they see Marleau barreling towards them.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

I wonder if we could swing something with TB...

Teddy Purcell would be a nice addition and his cap number is right.

I'd love to get Ryan Malone because I really like the way he plays, but his cap number is a little on the high side IMO.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:36 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I wonder if we could swing something with TB...

Teddy Purcell would be a nice addition and his cap number is right.

I'd love to get Ryan Malone because I really like the way he plays, but his cap number is a little on the high side IMO.
I like the way Malone plays as well, but he is having a hard time staying healthy due to that style of play and I have no interest in his contract. Purcell would be a pretty good fit though.

I keep hoping the Avs would just start losing (sorry itsmarleautime) becuase they have a few players that I'd be very interested in.

Regarding Knuble, love his game as well - he's struggling this year but I also think he's been really, really unlucky so far. He's had 20+ goals for 8 straight years and I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to play hockey. The only reason I wouldn't be interested in him is because the Sharks really need to add some speed - also, the Sharks don't have their 3rd round pick in 2012.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He was out of his crease but not by all that much. I think since the Miller-Lucic incident the league has been very jumpy with the goalie interference calls.

02-11-2012, 01:57 PM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I like the way Malone plays as well, but he is having a hard time staying healthy due to that style of play and I have no interest in his contract. Purcell would be a pretty good fit though.

I keep hoping the Avs would just start losing (sorry itsmarleautime) becuase they have a few players that I'd be very interested in.

Regarding Knuble, love his game as well - he's struggling this year but I also think he's been really, really unlucky so far. He's had 20+ goals for 8 straight years and I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to play hockey. The only reason I wouldn't be interested in him is because the Sharks really need to add some speed - also, the Sharks don't have their 3rd round pick in 2012.
But...but the Avs lost last year.

Objectively, I agree there are a handful of players on the team that would be good for the Sharks. In terms of who'd actually be traded, I've heard rumors of Winnik, O'Brien, even Jones, and once or twice Galiardi. All of which would be monumentally stupid for Sherman to trade, but considering he hasn't yet fired Sacco, I wouldn't put it past him. But Galiardi, the Av I think that would suit the Sharks' needs the best, is the least likely trade candidate.

In all honesty, though, I doubt we'd get anyone from them. They've finally started clicking despite everything, and while I wouldn't rule out a (major) trade deadline deal, I wouldn't necessarily put good money on it either.

As for the other suggestions, Knuble no, Purcell yes.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
I'd want Purcell on this team as well.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
magic school bus

Malone is injured all the time, and he's expensive. I'd pass on him.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Watching the Jets play really makes me miss Wellwood

Old
02-11-2012, 09:39 PM
SJeasy

The teams that will be troublesome for the Sharks are the teams that can stop the Sharks forecheck. The Nucks do it through both backcheck (above average) and quick puck recovery (excellent). Teams like the Blues and Yotes stop the Sharks from getting started by stopping the Sharks at their own blueline. We can all look to see which teams hold the Sharks down on the shotclock. Those will be the teams which hold the edge. The issue for the Sharks is still speed.

The other problem for the Sharks will be if the coaches insist on using White for more than minimal time. He has been killing possession for the Sharks for the whole season. Handzus needs to see reduced minutes as well.

I don't think teams will change their style at the deadline with an acquisition or two with one exception. If the Hawks get a goaltender, they would be much more dangerous.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
The teams that will be troublesome for the Sharks are the teams that can stop the Sharks forecheck. The Nucks do it through both backcheck (above average) and quick puck recovery (excellent). Teams like the Blues and Yotes stop the Sharks from getting started by stopping the Sharks at their own blueline. We can all look to see which teams hold the Sharks down on the shotclock. Those will be the teams which hold the edge. The issue for the Sharks is still speed.

The other problem for the Sharks will be if the coaches insist on using White for more than minimal time. He has been killing possession for the Sharks for the whole season. Handzus needs to see reduced minutes as well.

I don't think teams will change their style at the deadline with an acquisition or two with one exception. If the Hawks get a goaltender, they would be much more dangerous.
The only team that has been able to consistently keep the Sharks down on the shots total is Chicago. With the way they play, I don't see them as a threat even if they get the best goalie on the market. No goalie is going to be able to hold up with what is pretty much nothing past Keith and Seabrook on the blue line and Keith isn't even playing that well this year.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Vancouver has so much speed on the blue-line that the chip-and-chase game pretty much becomes useless.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The only team that has been able to consistently keep the Sharks down on the shots total is Chicago. With the way they play, I don't see them as a threat even if they get the best goalie on the market. No goalie is going to be able to hold up with what is pretty much nothing past Keith and Seabrook on the blue line and Keith isn't even playing that well this year.
I have St. Louis on a do over since the arrival of Hitch. Hitch is not as ignorant as the previous coach. I also throw out the first game vs. the Yotes as Tippett hadn't had time to get everyone on board for his system. Trap teams take a bit of time to get their game going.

I don't think any goalie will have stellar numbers with Chicago, but I do think Crawford is that bad. Backup or worse on most teams. A better goalie would help them. I agree that they will give up goals but they are also more capable of scoring than any other playoff-bound team. They can turn games into track meets even against stout defenses.

I am more concerned with the shotclock in more recent games. I am really interested in the score-tied shotclock as the Sharks have shown that they can generate shots in great abundance when behind. I turn off my shotclock watching once there is a two goal differential, either way.

Closed Thread