HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Rumors starting up about Nash wanting out. Would be awesome for the Sharks to pick him up, plus I hear he is good friends with JT.

Sharks would have to give up alot to aquire him though.Dont know if it woule be worth it
Nash isn't that good. I don't want him. Overpaid by a ton.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
still hard for me to get my head around us going after a top 6. I guess someone would need to explain to me how it would help us.
A top 6/3rd line tweener. If Any of our top 6 go down because of injury, we have no one that can take their spot. (Situation now with Havlat out). Plus, another Top 6 Winger can help spread the offense within 3 lines.

Marleau-JT-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Top 6 tweener/Havlat
McGinn-Handzus-Havlat/Top 6 tweener
4th line plug (Unless TOM is recalled)-Desjardins-Winchester

Defense here
goalies Here

Unfortunately, options are running out.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Regarding trades, thing is other than Detroit, every team seems to have holes and I'm not really convinced the Wings have what it takes to go far in the playoffs. We'd all love for DW to make a trade now but it takes two to tango and there are a lot of potential buyers right now.
People seem to forget that Wilson needs another team to trade with.

There are a whole lot of teams that are all looking for the same types of players and a couple of teams who are out of the playoffs that won't be making players that the Sharks should be interested in available (NYI, Edmonton)

I'm not at all surprised Wilson hasn't made a move yet, the Sharks aren't on the playoff bubble like they were last season.

There are still several players that could help the Sharks, some are probably not even being mentioned as being available. I never thought Nielsen was an option to start with (always thought he'd stay w/ the Islanders) and Prospal wasn't really the best fit, though he would've been an upgrade.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Hopefully Moen signs an extension next, so we don't have to hear that dumb rumor anymore.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Huge pass on Nash. Would destroy our cap / salary structure. Was discussed here a few weeks ago.

Regarding trades, thing is other than Detroit, every team seems to have holes and I'm not really convinced the Wings have what it takes to go far in the playoffs. We'd all love for DW to make a trade now but it takes two to tango and there are a lot of potential buyers right now.
Detroit's biggest hole is that they are running their #1 goalie into the ground. That won't end well. They should be hoping that he goes down to a 2-3 week injury at this point.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
A top 6/3rd line tweener. If Any of our top 6 go down because of injury, we have no one that can take their spot. (Situation now with Havlat out). Plus, another Top 6 Winger can help spread the offense within 3 lines.

Marleau-JT-Pavelski

Defense here
goalies Here

I still like Marleau on the 2nd line - seems to have great chemistry with Couture and having him with Jumbo is a waste until Jumbo shows he won't key on passing to Pavs only. Otherwise, I like that lineup.

As far as options, here's my updated list (sorted alphabetically).
It's a mix of tweeners and a few 2nd liners. I think most of these players can be had and are from likely sellers. I have no idea what it would take to acquire any of these players.

Bailey
Brodziak
Cogliano
D. Jones
Downie
Galiardi
Kostystin
Moss (only if he shows he's healthy)
Pahlsson
Purcell
R. Jones
Ruutu
Umberger (ugly cap hit but legit top 6 fwd)
Vermette
Winnik

Old
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post

Marleau-JT-Pavelski

Defense here
goalies Here

good to know we wont give up anything to get these guys

i was more speaking to legit top 6ers anyway. i understand the theory behind depth, but most of the guys being proposed here.

what does a legit top 6, or even a tweener on an out of the play off team go for these days anyway?

we have some goalie prospects, some draft picks, and some ahl prospects, and one blue line guy that i think we could part with. is that enough to make a package?

Old
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Detroit's biggest hole is that they are running their #1 goalie into the ground. That won't end well. They should be hoping that he goes down to a 2-3 week injury at this point.
The Wings are a very complete team but are they that much better than the past couple seasons? That said, they'll be very motivated against us if we see them in the playoffs and it looks like they'll have home ice advantage which probably is the swing factor.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
hockeyball

Bored at work, so here is my experiment trying to shove Nash into our roster next season (this season isn't really an issue). Need to take both salary, realistic trade value, and line-up into account. For that reason I am ruling out moving JT, Marleau, or Havlat for various reasons. To fit Nash in the top-6 (he really should be on Thorntons wing) someone needs to move to the 3rd line. Since Nash is a pure RW, that means moving Pavelski off the top line. Best lineup for this season I can come up with:

Clowe - Thornton - Nash
Marleau - Couture - Pavelski
McGinn - Handzus - Havlat
Winchester - Desjardins - Mitchell

Sharks can technically afford this, but what realistic trade can San Jose offer to make that happen? CBJ will want a forward in return as part of a package. That means one of Pavelski or Clowe. Let's say it's Pavelski, this leaves San Jose still in need of a 7th foward, so:

To CBJ:
Joe Pavelski
Benn Ferriero
SJ 1st 2012

To SJ:
Rick Nash

That leaves the Sharks looking like:

Clowe - Thornton - Nash
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Handzus - Sheppard
Winchester - Desjardins - Murray

We still have some cap space, and still have the same issue we started with. CBJ has no one they can offer us to fill that role (we can't afford Vermette, Umberger or Brassard now, we'd be 3 million over the cap next year). We also now have less assets we can move to get that player. Let's say we go full facepalm mode and get Moen for a 2nd.

Is this a better team then we started with?

Clowe - Thornton - Nash
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Handsuz - Moen
Winchester - Desjardins - Sheppard/Murray

I just don't see the point, and Rick Nash is overpaid on top of it for 6 more years.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Les Wynan*

Pavelski is a much, much better player than Rick Nash.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Pavelski is a much, much better player than Rick Nash.
I agree, that post was meant to point out how stupid trading for Rick Nash would be, in everyway.

CBJ would likely want Pavelski or Clowe though, Clowe only has a yaer left on his contract and is a LW. That would leave us with 1 LW (and not even a natural one) in Marleau. Nash, Pavelski and Havlat can not play LW.

Plus Clowe has a smaller cap hit than Pavelski. There is just no way to make that work.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

We still have some cap space, and still have the same issue we started with. CBJ has no one they can offer us to fill that role (we can't afford Vermette, Umberger or Brassard now, we'd be 3 million over the cap next year). We also now have less assets we can move to get that player. Let's say we go full facepalm mode and get Moen for a 2nd.
You can't make this statement since next season's cap isn't known yet...

Old
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
You can't make this statement since next season's cap isn't known yet...
There is no way it goes up 3m, and even if it did, the trade still makes no sense. Nash is not worth $8m for 6 more years, especially likely at the cost of Clowe or Pavelski.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Although many teams would happily trade for Nash, the guy has, what, one series of playoff experience? Sure he played great at the Olympics, but it's totally different for the Cup.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
There is no way it goes up 3m, and even if it did, the trade still makes no sense. Nash is not worth $8m for 6 more years, especially likely at the cost of Clowe or Pavelski.
I wrote I didn't want Nash but at this point, we have no idea what next season's cap will be. That's a fact at this point.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 50
Ryan Malone anyone?

Old
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Malone, Downie, or Purcell.

Last edited by Inub0i: 02-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
one2gamble

putting Havlat on the third line is a waste

Old
02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Nash isn't that good. I don't want him. Overpaid by a ton.
He probably is a better and younger version of Marleau, but the Sharks can't afford him

Old
02-08-2012, 02:10 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I wrote I didn't want Nash but at this point, we have no idea what next season's cap will be. That's a fact at this point.
There might not even be a season...

Old
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It doesn't really bode well for the organization if you extend an UFA only to trade him. It's a bit different with Setoguchi considering his rights belonged to the Sharks regardless.
Snow is desperate...

Old
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Ryan Malone anyone?
Yes please.

Doubt it would ever happen though. Sharks don't have all that much to offer in trade, granted TB does need goaltending which is the Sharks one area of depth prospect wise.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Maybe snow will offer them Nabbers

Old
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Maybe snow will offer them Nabbers
That would make a lot of sense if Detroit has something the Isles want. I really am not sure what Detroit has in terms of prospects at that value level (~2nd or 3rd rounder).

Old
02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Snow is desperate...
If Nielsen were aware that Snow was going to trade him, he'd be better off just to wait for free agency. If he wasn't, Snow whom already has problems luring FA's and re-signing his own players is hosed.

The only way it makes sense is if Nielsen is aware, and the only reason I could come up with for him to do that is if he is in fear of a lockout next season (and since he would have no contract, losing a years pay). If players are really in that much fear of a lockout, I'm seriously worried for this league.

Closed Thread