HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko

Old
02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Valentenko

I know it is never a bad idea to have too many defensemen. But Dynamo could be a better choice for the Russian. Is he around after Feb 27? Thoughts?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Levitate

I don't think he has any trade value, and at this point doesn't seem to be in the Rangers plans unless there's a huge rash of injuries to the blueline

I imagine he's headed back to Russia after this year unless the Rangers can sell some team on him for a trade, but that seems unlikely

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
He's gone. Maybe he could fetch a 7th.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Never understood the fascination with him. Maybe we can get a conditional pick.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Because he's Russian and our fanbase has a creepy obsession with getting Russian (and surrounding countries) players on this team.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Cool name?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
He had a good camp last year why wouldn't people have been interested...not fascinated but interested in him and his development...he also was the top D pair with Kundratek for the pack. Oh and he was hitting people and being generally gritty which is always fun. I think fascinated is a bit too heavy

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
He had a good camp last year why wouldn't people have been interested...not fascinated but interested in him and his development...he also was the top D pair with Kundratek for the pack. Oh and he was hitting people and being generally gritty which is always fun. I think fascinated is a bit too heavy
He was, in fact, quite awful in our most recent training camp. Whether it was due to his groin injury or his general lack of footspeed, I don't know, but he was awful.

In the 2010 training camp, he looked like a #6 defenseman at best. big shot, but a lot of times, he'd take a shot at the worst possible time. I remember him taking a shot that was blocked and lead directly to a goal. A shot he shouldn't have even contemplated taking.

02-07-2012, 06:44 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He was, in fact, quite awful in our most recent training camp. Whether it was due to his groin injury or his general lack of footspeed, I don't know, but he was awful.

In the 2010 training camp, he looked like a #6 defenseman at best. big shot, but a lot of times, he'd take a shot at the worst possible time. I remember him taking a shot that was blocked and lead directly to a goal. A shot he shouldn't have even contemplated taking.
Last year yes not this recent training camp when i say last year I mean last season. He showed that he might take a spot AND bring some toughness and grit so people were interested in his development plus he had a nice back story

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Thought he might've been able to turn into something last season (during the pre-season, anyway). Played with a high degree of toughness, big shot...looked like he just needed to work on his lateral quickness.

I dont know what happened this season. He was one of the first cuts, and if he couldnt get a sniff with the rash of injuries we've had on the blueline, hes as good as done with this organization at his age. No trade value, so good luck with that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:49 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because he's Russian and our fanbase has a creepy obsession with getting Russian (and surrounding countries) players on this team.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Every draft a lot of our fans want the Russians.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i recall that he was good at the 2010 training camp. and he's considered to be a shot blocking master. add that he's Russian and it seemed like he was going to pan out to be a Anton Volchenkov clone. how can you NOT get excited for that? he's regressed this year, been injured, but in all honesty, I haven't seen him play this year so I don't know if he's ACTUALLY doing any better or worse. We should get some 1st hand input from someone like squishy or jarkko. Just how has Valentenko been this season, really?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Vitto79

he will either sign with a new NHL team or go to the KHL. he has no value so may as well keep in in CT to help them this yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
NYR Viper

People do realize that Valentenko looked BETTER than Sauer did in the 2010 training camp right? The reason he was sent down instead of Sauer was because Sauer would have been lost to waivers.

He isn't the most mobile d-man but neither is Bickel. And Valentenko moves better than Bickel.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Every draft a lot of our fans want the Russians.
Even low-upside ones. If we had a draft filled from top to bottom with Russians, the board would explode.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Being Russian has nothing to do with my interest in Valentenko. His style of play matching some of this team's needs has a lot to do with it, as does the fact that he's just generally being underrated, for the most part by people who haven't seen him play very many times.

Valentenko should have made the team in 2010 based on his play in the pre-season. He's never gotten a shot with this team. One game while injured this pre-season...not my idea of a fair shot. It's a waste of an asset if they just give up on him, but whatever. Not the first time that's going to happen.

I think it's hilarious that Bickel is playing and not him. Valentenko does most of the same things, but he does most of them better. He's slow, but not slow enough that he can't play in the NHL. Damn shame to waste a young player that could be a cheap cog in your lineup for years to come if you ask me.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
94now

V-tank will not return anything on its own at this time. He could be a part of a package, however. CAR may consider him as part of package for Ruutu. Rental is better than nothing at all.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
eco's bones

I kind of think if he were in another organization he would have had a shot by now--might even be a regular bottom pairing guy somewhere.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I kind of think if he were in another organization he would have had a shot by now--might even be a regular bottom pairing guy somewhere.
As soon as Kundratek requested a trade he played a few games with the Caps already..something Bouchard won't accomplish with the Rangers. Maybe the same can happen for Valentenko

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree. I think that the fact that he failed to tell the Rangers about his injury last fall hurt him greatly. Valentenko could have been the sixth defenseman in the fall of 2010, but for Sauer's situation.

Valentenko could be a part of a deadline trade, however, someone would probably want to be sure that he will remain in NA, and I think that this is far from a sure thing.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I agree. I think that the fact that he failed to tell the Rangers about his injury last fall hurt him greatly. Valentenko could have been the sixth defenseman in the fall of 2010, but for Sauer's situation.

Valentenko could be a part of a deadline trade, however, someone would probably want to be sure that he will remain in NA, and I think that this is far from a sure thing.
Yep.
Wanted either Rangers trade established value at D for other needs and gamble on him, or give him chance to play at 6th or 7th, + develop, then play or keep.

Glad Bickell developed, but I was hoping to see some worthwhile return.
Now looks like lucky if we get anything.

However, if no cap constraints, see his status as a take him if you want him freebie throw in icer to a deal could make sense.

But which team? And what bigger deal?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Being Russian has nothing to do with my interest in Valentenko. His style of play matching some of this team's needs has a lot to do with it, as does the fact that he's just generally being underrated, for the most part by people who haven't seen him play very many times.

Valentenko should have made the team in 2010 based on his play in the pre-season. He's never gotten a shot with this team. One game while injured this pre-season...not my idea of a fair shot. It's a waste of an asset if they just give up on him, but whatever. Not the first time that's going to happen.

I think it's hilarious that Bickel is playing and not him. Valentenko does most of the same things, but he does most of them better. He's slow, but not slow enough that he can't play in the NHL. Damn shame to waste a young player that could be a cheap cog in your lineup for years to come if you ask me.
Bickel is a righty. I doubt it is more complicated than that.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote