HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Kind of a sad photo when you consider that the kid (Kenneth Ruzika) to Richard's right was killed in an accident recently.
Few know that as far as I know, horrible thought....

Old
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Speedy Sanderson

Must be a slow news day over at Channel 4 - for the life of me I can't figure out how a possible lockout would impact the purchase of Nationwide. It's a done deal, right?

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/...wi-ar-1039234/

Old
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post
Must be a slow news day over at Channel 4 - for the life of me I can't figure out how a possible lockout would impact the purchase of Nationwide. It's a done deal, right?

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/...wi-ar-1039234/
Yes, I don't know how a NFL strike (great proofreading channel 4) would impact a NHL team...

Either way I don't think anything changes because of this.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Renney out as Hc of Edmonton. hopefully they bring in a defensive minded coach so they take Murray.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Renney out as Hc of Edmonton. hopefully they bring in a defensive minded coach so they take Murray.
Craig MacTavish?

Old
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Thank Goodness the Organization had the foresight to tie up Richards, what with Washington and now Edmonton coachless, There was a very slim outside chance Howson would have to answer the phone to tell these organizations "No" on giving permission to talk to Richards....

Old
05-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Thank Goodness the Organization had the foresight to tie up Richards, what with Washington and now Edmonton coachless, There was a very slim outside chance Howson would have to answer the phone to tell these organizations "No" on giving permission to talk to Richards....

It's always best to sign the good ones before others get the idea of raiding our talent pool....

Old
05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It's always best to sign the good ones before others get the idea of raiding our talent pool....
Its my understanding that a lot of our "talent", as you say, tends to foster better once its out of Columbus anyways....

Old
05-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
Random question:

Who was the CBJ's play by play announcer in the early/mid 00's? He went on to do play by play for chicago for a season or two.

Thanks

Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf316nhl View Post
Random question:

Who was the CBJ's play by play announcer in the early/mid 00's? He went on to do play by play for chicago for a season or two.

Thanks
Dan Kelly

Old
05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Dan Kelly
Dan was working on the BTN last I saw.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
Quote:
Dan Kelly
Thanks

Old
05-19-2012, 05:06 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Staying on that same topic, I read that Brian Engblom was on Versus (then OLN) during the 2005-06 season at the same time he was the CBJ's color guy. Did he ever miss CBJ games for national telecasts and, if so, who filled in for him on nights where there were conflicts?

Old
05-19-2012, 07:27 PM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
From what I remember he only did the natiional broadcast if there was not a Jackets game. I think the Blackhawks guy does that now.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Tucked in at the end of the announcement that Patrick's still here for another year (see: http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...to-howson.html was this little bit:

Quote:
Richards might have to hire two assistant coaches this summer. Brad Berry, who came to Columbus as Arniel’s top assistant in 2010, has applied for an assistant’s position with the University of North Dakota. Richards also has to hire someone to fill his former role as an assistant.
So, after the Great Cleansing that fans were screaming for for ages, we've now lost three of the four assistants - Rook, Boughner, and now potentially Berry. The only survivor at this point, I believe, is Hinote.

Boy, does that mass firing look good now, eh?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-20-2012, 11:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Tucked in at the end of the announcement that Patrick's still here for another year (see: http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...to-howson.html was this little bit:

So, after the Great Cleansing that fans were screaming for for ages, we've now lost three of the four assistants - Rook, Boughner, and now potentially Berry. The only survivor at this point, I believe, is Hinote.

Boy, does that mass firing look good now, eh?
You'd prefer ol' Gord Murphy were given another nine lives here? You are right about one thing, Accountability seems to stop at the coach's office door in this organization....

Old
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
You'd prefer ol' Gord Murphy were given another nine lives here? You are right about one thing, Accountability seems to stop at the coach's office door in this organization....
I'm saying that the theory of "we're not successful because we haven't fired enough people" is inherently flawed. People rush to "it's NEW so it's BETTER", and don't really bother to think about potential long-term consequences.

We've had folks saying that hiring Mike Milbury would be preferable to continuing with Howson. In complete sincerity, without irony.

I'd like to find ourselves a superhero in the GM office too - as much as I appreciate Howson's work, it hasn't been enough. But I fear that the current fan (or F.A.N.S.) direction isn't for "better" so much as "new" or "different" (because they seem to think of all of those as the same thing), and so we could easily end up with more of the same - or worse - even if absolutely everyone is replaced top-to-bottom.

We wanted "different" with the assistants because we were convinced they were going nowhere. Look at what we got, and consider this cautionary tale.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:10 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You're wasting your breath.

There is still an extreme minority position that calling for accountability is in and of itself a bad thing. Apparently requiring results is viewed as "mean" or "knee jerk"...even after 5 years of the same crap. And even though some of those same folks admitted in the polling thread that Howson and/or Priest should be fired.

Shifting a couple scapegoats around lower in the food chain isn't real accountability. Unfortunately, to this point ownership has deemed those truly responsible untouchable.

When your defense for a lack of accountability is simply that Doug MacLean was worse or Mike Milbury was worse, or GMX is/was worse, you are missing the point. Accountability is about setting a high bar for excellence within your organization and expecting all in the organization to reach that bar.

Which means that, no, replacing Scott Howson with the next Doug MacLean, Kevin Lowe or Brian Lawton isn't being proposed by anyone who wants Howson replaced. It makes a cute little strawman, but it goes up quickly with a single match. What people have been demanding has been made clear from day 1...

Quote:
Excellence in all levels of the team's operations, on-ice and off, as sports fans and citizens of Central Ohio accept nothing less.
Seems like a pretty simple and unobjectionable proposition to me.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You're wasting your breath.

There is still an extreme minority position that calling for accountability is in and of itself a bad thing. Apparently requiring results is viewed as "mean" or "knee jerk"...even after 5 years of the same crap. And even though some of those same folks admitted in the polling thread that Howson and/or Priest should be fired.

Shifting a couple scapegoats around lower in the food chain isn't real accountability. Unfortunately, to this point ownership has deemed those truly responsible untouchable.

When your defense for a lack of accountability is simply that Doug MacLean was worse or Mike Milbury was worse, or GMX is/was worse, you are missing the point. Accountability is about setting a high bar for excellence within your organization and expecting all in the organization to reach that bar.

Which means that, no, replacing Scott Howson with the next Doug MacLean, Kevin Lowe or Brian Lawton isn't being proposed by anyone who wants Howson replaced. It makes a cute little strawman, but it goes up quickly with a single match. What people have been demanding has been made clear from day 1...

Seems like a pretty simple and unobjectionable proposition to me.
I just wish to point out that the focus being shown here is entirely on "accountability", with just the barest of lip service given to "improvement". This may come as a shock to the F.A.N.S. out there, but in spite of the fact that one can lead to another, these are not the same thing, any more than one can consider trades to always be good because you can make a team better that way. (Not that one would have known that before last offseason judging by some of the criticisms folks had against Howson's lack of superstar trades then, but that's an aside.)

There's a few folks who are trying to see how to improve the situation by finding other people. Unfortunately, they're few and far between, and drowned out by these sorts of personality cult leaders.

Thank G-d almighty that these fools aren't the majority any more than any of the other unpleasantly vocal bunches of simpletons you find all over the place nowadays, or we'd be even worse off.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:45 PM
EspenK

Improvement, without accountability for those who are responsible for making the improvement, will be hard to come by.

Just a simple(ton) way of looking at it.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Improvement, without accountability for those who are responsible for making the improvement, will be hard to come by.

Just a simple(ton) way of looking at it.
Obviously. But that's not what many of these folks are after. They seem more motivated by vengeance against the judged guilty than for actually seeking improvement.

We see discussions of players who might be able to help the team all the time. We occasionally see it for coaches. We almost never see this about top executives... unless someone starts actively demanding it in posts like this.
(And even then, it's usually dismissed as a side debate to the REAL need of judging the guilty and punishing the wicked...)

Old
05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

DSL - you close the new Nash thread for a reason?

Old
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
same question

Old
05-21-2012, 01:20 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
same question
it doesn't appear to be closed to me:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1193559

Old
05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
same question
Not very "interesting", fellas.

Closed Thread